Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default All Quiet on the PM Front - Diplomacy PBPM Game

All Quiet on the PM Front

Anyone reading this who would like to be considered as a replacement if the occasion for one arises should let me know that.

We're playing on the Youngstown variant map with my custom Blind Rules variant. They are:

* Players will not receive an omniscient version of the map; only one master map will exist, and I will have exclusive access to it.
    * Orders will not be posted on the thread.
    * Instead, resolution of each player's orders will be sent to him or to her, along with only those orders which conflict with his or her own orders. For example, if Italy orders A Ven-Tri and Austria orders A Tri Holds, Italy would be aware of Austria's hold and Austria would be aware of Italy's attempted attack. (If people can't or don't want to keep their own maps, I could handle making individual maps for everyone and distributing them each season, although I would prefer that not be the case)
    * Each player also gets a spy, the better to be aware of general goings-on in the world.
    * Before the end of each Spring turn, each player can choose one other power on which to spy for the year. So if France wants to spy on Germany, he can choose to commit his spy to spying in Germany for the year of 1901. This means that with each order resolution in 1901, France also gets a copy of all German moves for the past season.
    * Note that this does not mean that you get the orders for the power on which you are spying before they are processed. What it does do is tell you where all the power's units were and what they were doing, which is a very valuable tool.
    * Players are encouraged to maintain active presses, since information on other powers will be scarce, although we all know that nothing said in a press release can be trusted absolutely.

We'll play one season a week. Spring 1901 orders (including spy deployment) will be due Wednesday, September 12. Summer 1901 retreats will be due Thursday, September 13th, Fall 1901 orders due Wednesday, September 19th, Winter retreats due Thursday, September 20th, and Winter 1901 builds due Friday, September 21st. And so on, and so on, and so on.

So, the schedule will generally be:

Wednesday - Move orders
    Thursday - Retreat orders
    Friday - Build orders

All orders will be due in by 10 PM EST (which is, in fact, GMT-5) on the appropriate days.

India - GrandDukeJerot
    Italy - Ceridan
    France - Lucid_Archon
    England - Maldiem
    Japan - J_Muller
    Turkey - Viggo
    Germany - Solgursky
    China - Mdsoze
    Austria - Lomil
    Russia - Charity

-You have to let me know if you want to receive copies of the map as you know it each turn. I strongly recommend, for your sake (it's easier to run contingencies if you have the software to play with) and mine, that you download either jDip or Realpolitik. However, if you really want me to, I will send you maps every week.
    -For now I would like to be CCed on PM negotiations. I may change my mind when the game I'm playing in starts up, but at least until then, I'd like to hear what you guys are saying to each other.
    Last edited by Moody the Wise; 2007-09-07 at 06:44 AM.
    Ramm in Lords of the Elements
    Russia in The World is Dark

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: All Quiet on the PM Front - Diplomacy PBPM Game

I'm in. The schedule sounds reasonable, but i am going to need to figure out how to change PST into EST.
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social ecksperiment.

Spoiler
    Show
    KidKris's Tungsten Man

Djinn_in_Tonic's Tungsten Man

Credit to Djinn_In_Tonic for Peregrine
    Credit to Ninja_Chocobo for 10th doctor

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I am ready to buy, bribe, plead, steal, threaten, and kill to secure the prosperity of my nation.
    Thanks to Kpenguin for the Superb Avatar.

Deathwatch Characters
    Sven Carlson, Alistayr
    Tristan Weylin, Mikael
    Master of the Forge, Hephaestus Faust, Gwain

4. - Top - End - #4

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GrandDukeJerot View Post
    I'm in. The schedule sounds reasonable, but i am going to need to figure out how to change PST into EST.
    Pacific time is three hours behind me. In general, for the information of all, you can figure out the time zone differences by playing with the time zone setting under options on your forum account. My recommendation is that you figure out the time difference, then adjust all the deadlines to your appropriate local times and remember them that way.

And I checked, EST is indeed GMT-5, so if you know what your time zone is relative to GMT, this whole time conversion thing should be easy.

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am prepared to take my rightful seat as the head of a country.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Yes, I'm planning on actually playing. When do we find out what country we are?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay. So, to clarify, your 10 PM deadline is a 1 AM deadline for me? Or 7 PM? I don't want to get in a few minuites late without knowing. But I'm not too worried. I do tend to be pretty quick with orders in this game.
    GENERATION 14: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social ecksperiment.

Spoiler
    Show
    KidKris's Tungsten Man

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm still in and ready to go.
    Last edited by J_Muller; 2007-09-03 at 10:54 PM.
    <Rexatar
    Spoiler
    Show

Fiscal Mereor, by NecroPaladin.

Spoiler
    Show

Kyrian, describing my very own Fourth Empire...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrian View Post
    ...god damned moron organizations full of morons...

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tormsskull View Post
    Even better. Boy from Turkey and girl from UK wake up in Vegas married to one another. We'll call it Dude, Where's My Country?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm in. Just as long as I'm not russia this time.
    Marshal Josip Broz Tito avatar by Electric_Monkey

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'm in, and looking forward to it.
    Can't wait to find out what country I get!

11. - Top - End - #11

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GrandDukeJerot View Post
    Okay. So, to clarify, your 10 PM deadline is a 1 AM deadline for me? Or 7 PM? I don't want to get in a few minuites late without knowing. But I'm not too worried. I do tend to be pretty quick with orders in this game.
    If your time zone is three hours behind mine, it will be 7pm for you when it is 10pm for me.

-Albert Einstein

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay. Sorry about the confusion. I'm not always too good with time. Just to let you know, I will be gone thursday on a camping trip. It will be just from thursday morning to friday morning, so i'll be here up until tomorrow posting, and I will be back up early friday. Just mentioning this so you're not surprised when I don't put in an immediate response.

Spoiler
    Show
    KidKris's Tungsten Man

13. - Top - End - #13

I'm in, and I propose alliances with everyone! Your friendly carebear is here.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm in on this.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by viggo View Post
    I'm in. Just as long as I'm not russia this time.
    As much as it didn't really turn out well for me last time, I actually wouldn't mind being France again.

UPDATE: For anyone who's interested in more Diplomacy, I'm starting up a game. It can be found here.
    Last edited by J_Muller; 2007-09-04 at 05:47 PM.
    <Rexatar
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Even better. Boy from Turkey and girl from UK wake up in Vegas married to one another. We'll call it Dude, Where's My Country?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Normally, I would love to take on another diplomacy game, but with this game of diplomacy, my homemade diplomacy rip off i'm running, and the dragonlance campaign that i'm afriad I might have to drop out of, I am going to decline.

Edit: Actually, I decided to drop the Dragonlance so I could get into the second Diplomacy game. I just think that they're rarer, and I would benefit from playing more of it.
    Last edited by GrandDukeJerot; 2007-09-04 at 07:47 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    KidKris's Tungsten Man

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ehh, sounds good!I'm in. Can you make me a copy of the map without the other characters?

18. - Top - End - #18

BlueKnightGuy

Alright, all 10 players have confirmed interest. Below is a map - the ONLY omniscient map I will ever post on this thread:

Here are your random country assignments:

India - GrandDukeJerot
    Italy - Ceridan
    France - Lucid_Archon
    England - Maldiem
    Japan - J_Muller
    Turkey - Viggo
    Germany - Solgursky
    China - Mdsoze
    Austria - Lomil
    Russia - Asqwasqw

I'll edit the original post to reflect all this, but I want to make a new one as well so that everyone will get the subscribed thread notification. Everyone is subscribed to this thread, right?

A few notes before we begin:

-You have to let me know if you want to receive copies of the map as you know it each turn. I strongly recommend, for your sake (it's easier to run contingencies if you have the software to play with) and mine, that you download either jDip or Realpolitik. However, if you really want me to, I will send you maps every week.
    -For now I would like to be CCed on PM negotiations. I may change my mind when the game I'm playing in starts up, but at least until then, I'd like to hear what you guys are saying to each other.
    -When I edit the original post in a few minutes, I'll make sure to copy in the blind variant rules for your reference.

Let's have a good, clean fight!

-Albert Einstein

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

The new German Chancellor, Solomon Gurksy, is announced amid raucous applause and fanfare.
    "German diplomats welcome foreign ambassadors with open arms. We seek a peaceful resolution to any future disputes."

(I got the jdip program. Still not 100% on the 'blind' rules, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Are enemy unites in adjacent territories known, or only when we come into conflict?)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Can you send me the maps please? Oh, and does anybody want to switch with me (if that is allowed)? I don't really have the time to handle such a large country. Are orders due this wednesday?
    Last edited by asqwasqw; 2007-09-05 at 06:06 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

The Tokyo Dispatch
    Emperor Jonogawa issued a release today stating that he would like to welcome any and all foreign diplomats and that Japan seeks only the maintenance of peace by reasonable dialogue with its neighbors.

In completely unrelated news, the Imperial Navy was recently put on full mobilization status, with all ships fully stocked with ammunition and fuel and ready to sail.
    <Rexatar
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by solgursky View Post
    The new German Chancellor, Solomon Gurksy, is announced amid raucous applause and fanfare.
    "German diplomats welcome foreign ambassadors with open arms. We seek a peaceful resolution to any future disputes."

(I got the jdip program. Still not 100% on the 'blind' rules, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Are enemy unites in adjacent territories known, or only when we come into conflict?)
    The locations of enemy units are only known when they affect you. For example, if you have an army in Norway and I have an army in Sweden, but both units are issued hold orders, neither army knows about the other. However, if A Nwy is ordered to Swe, and Swe Holds, A Nwy knows there was an army holding in Sweden and A Swe knows that it was attacked by A Nwy.

-Albert Einstein

23. - Top - End - #23

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by asqwasqw View Post
    Can you send me the maps please? Oh, and does anybody want to switch with me (if that is allowed)? I don't really have the time to handle such a large country. Are orders due this wednesday?
    Handling any sized country takes roughly the same amount of time; are you sure you can make the commitment? If you don't think you can, I'd rather have you say so now and enjoy watching the game while we still have time to get a replacement than to drop out several seasons in.

-Albert Einstein

24. - Top - End - #24

I'd like to be sent the maps each turn as well.
    <Rexatar
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Bombay Report

The Maharaja of Cochin has mobilized his forces, with full support of his people. In a public statement sent out to all foreign diplomats has been relayed here.

"I am sad for the deterioration of the state of Asia. No longer does it consist of powerful, native empires that were content to mind their own buisness, and tend to their own lands. In recent years, the west has realized the potential of our land, and plunders it ruthlessly. Now, it is time for the Indian empire to take a leaf out of the book of our freinds, the West, and grow our empire with expansion."

(I would like the maps as well. I have both programs, but I find them slightly unweildy.)

Spoiler
    Show
    KidKris's Tungsten Man

26. - Top - End - #26

I'd like to be sent maps as well. Thanks.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Paris Alert

Disturbingly, the Maharaja of Cochin, India's leader, has sent overt threats to our peaceful land of France, promising bloodshed and terror. We as a people will not bow to such a blood thirsty tyrant. We fear that there will be no peace with India, and pray for swift end to this conflict.

From the desk of President Émile Loubet.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sultan Murat Akhun of the great Turkish Empire opens his doors to all that wish peace and prosperity for everyone. Bring not threats to his door, for he will respond in kind. Bring gifts to his door, for he will respond in kind. Bring not betrayal to his door, for he will respond in kind.
    Marshal Josip Broz Tito avatar by Electric_Monkey

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

The Emperor (Arch-Duke?) of Austria-Hungary would like it to be known in the world community that Austria-Hungary wishes to remain a peaceful & cooperative empire, but will singlemindedly seek the complete destruction of any that betray her.

(and I'd like the maps, please)
    Last edited by Lomil; 2007-09-06 at 06:25 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moody the Wise View Post
    Handling any sized country takes roughly the same amount of time; are you sure you can make the commitment? If you don't think you can, I'd rather have you say so now and enjoy watching the game while we still have time to get a replacement than to drop out several seasons in.
    Sigh, I would so love to play, but I am DMing one game, playing another, and I am not sure I have time/energy for diplomacy (curse you school).

Since others have expressed interest, ask if any one of them wants to take over...

Signing out: asqwasqw
    (If you play this varient again during the summer, PM me dang it! )