Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default What’s Your Favorite Arcane Tradition?

Almost ended the title with... “And Why Is It Evocation?” But didn’t want to sound TOO condescending.

Looking into trying Wizard for the first time, and I like that each Tradition is viable regardless of what kind of Wizard your going for. Or, another way to say it, regardless if you want to be a blaster, controller, or support, none of the features seem to be useless for you.

I can definitely see how potent Portent could be (see what I did there? Hurhur), and was very tempted to pick Divination, but then I saw the “Capstone” on Evocation. I’m not super interested in playing straight blaster, but getting a guaranteed 60 damage on every creature in a 20 foot radius (5th level Fireball) using overchannel seems like it could be INVALUABLE. Not to mention you can exclude any friends in this radius thanks to your spell sculpting, and potent cantrip could be useful as well.

Necromancy and Conjuration also have some strong abilities, but if I ever tried to cast animate dead or conjure animals at my table, my DM would reveal an AK47 and kill everyone in the room and then himself. So that doesn’t do much for me.

Really, almost all the Arcane traditions look good, but Evocation seems exceptional. What do you think? What do you prefer, and why, or does Evocation just seem powerful even if you’re not super into blasting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylivedk View Post
    I use these forums as my weak DnD crack replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Even if they don't have a Reaction, they can now talk through "brief utterances", which certainly includes stuff like "Help!", "Assassin!!", or "AAAAAAHHHHHHHHRRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Are there toddlers in the monster manual with a printed CR value? I feel like a handful of toddlers would be even better for this.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: What’s Your Favorite Arcane Tradition?

Abjuration and Divination are widely seen as the best traditions.
    Last edited by Merudo; 2018-04-29 at 02:07 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I really enjoy Illusion since it allows a huge amount of creativity, providing your DM is flexible and doesn't metagame the illusions. Also, if you think Overchannel is powerful then have a look at Illusory Reality. You can trap almost anything inside a "real" illusion for a minute with no save just using Silent Image. Throw in Mirage Arcane + Malleable Illusions and it's basically game breaking.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Merudo View Post
    Abjuration and Divination are widely seen as the best traditions.
    Same here.

Abjuration grants a very powerful HP buffer, and Divination lets you tell the DM: "No, you don't get to roll that" -- or "actually yes, that PC does succeed at that".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I like Warmage and Bladesinger thematically. I'm not sure they're all that great (I haven't used them yet), but just the different angles on a battle mage are appreciated. Of the classics, I like Divination because it lets you feel like a real seer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Evocation, Divination (dip) and War Wizard are the ones I'd be most likely to try out.

Evo because being able to exclude the frontline from your damage is just extra nice.
    Divination because Portent I can see being really useful in clutch moments.
    War Wizard because I have always loved the idea of Magic Knights.

I might make a War Wizard with a 1 or 2 level dip of Fighter (maybe starting if I want heavy armor, though Medium armor and Dex should be plenty) so I can pretend to not be a mage.. and then just wreck the enemy without touching a weapon.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnightJin View Post
    Evocation, Divination (dip) and War Wizard are the ones I'd be most likely to try out.

Evo because being able to exclude the frontline from your damage is just extra nice.
    War Wizard because I have always loved the idea of Magic Knights.

I might make a War Wizard with a 1 or 2 level dip of Fighter (maybe starting if I want heavy armor, though Medium armor and Dex should be plenty) so I can pretend to not be a mage.. and then just wreck the enemy without touching a weapon.
    The intended flavour of the War Wizard, is, I think, not ‘Magic Knight’ but ‘Wizard who happens to be in the employ of an army and has developed his skills with magic for that purpose’. Eldritch Knights are ‘Magic Knights’, as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    Necromancy and Conjuration also have some strong abilities, but if I ever tried to cast animate dead or conjure animals at my table, my DM would reveal an AK47 and kill everyone in the room and then himself. So that doesn’t do much for me.
    Might I, perhaps, sig this?
    Last edited by CircleOfTheRock; 2018-04-29 at 05:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    "In the Eyes of the Great Beyond, you are constrained to each other's embrace until the day you perish"
    "Hey, that sounded more like a curse than a wedding" Your mortal customs are foreign to me. Is there a difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    REAL mages speak Modron!
    If I ever tried to cast animate dead or conjure animals at my table, my DM would reveal an AK47 and kill everyone in the room and then himself.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Divination is strong and front-loaded. Roll 2 die, record the results, and replace any roll with those results. That's really good stuff.

I personally like the illusion school. My only gripe is that it takes so long to come online.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

All of them, except Transmutation. It's not bad, it just doesn't sit well with me.

I especially like Illusion and Necromancy, followed by Abjuration and Conjuration. I prefer flavor to power.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

I liked the UA school of Theurgy. Same with War Magic. I also like Illusion, Conjuration, and Divination.
    “I have cold resistance. I’m wearing clothes.”

Awesome avatar made by Ceika!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    All of them, except Transmutation. It's not bad, it just doesn't sit well with me.
    It's their Lv10 ability that bugs me. You can cast polymorph, only on yourself, and only to turn into a beast with - at most - 1/10th the CR you'd normally be allowed.

I could maybe get behind it if it was unlimited used, but for a once-per-rest ability it just seems terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Surely there is no other reason why they would hire a charismatic and intelligent if scandalous infernal-blooded pretty boy to steal an high-ranking woman's clothes.
    “Plot” is what the DM does to amuse himself when the players aren’t talking.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I played a divination wizard for a little bit and portent is really nice, even mediocre rolls in the middle of the number range can be useful because you decide what they are used for. All the traditions seem pretty solid I think

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

In response to the OP. I think evocation is one of the weaker ones. The level 2 spell only effects evocation spells, not the awsome CC spells a wizard can use. Damage is overrated as a wizard and this is just helping to cover poor strategy.

Compare to my glamour bard who can give everyone free HP and allow them to use their reaction to move out of my AOE. Then fear/hypnotic daze/faerie fire every enemy. GG, fights won, and I didn't even deal damage.

Evocation is a trap IMO, because its focusing on damage, but damage isn't the wizards main draw. Its looks great for new wizards and indeed makes casting fireball easier, but nothing big comes online until level 10.

14. - Top - End - #14

NecromancerGuy

Necromancy and Transmutation. I always love Necro builds and transmutation can have some RP use.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

I've been enjoying my first wizard ever. He's a gnome necromancer. I do use animate undead but I have talked to the DM and told her that I won't have more than two "servants" at any given time. Otherwise he's very much like a transmutation wizard, only not.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CircleOfTheRock

Might I, perhaps, sig this?
    Feel free!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylivedk View Post
    I use these forums as my weak DnD crack replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Even if they don't have a Reaction, they can now talk through "brief utterances", which certainly includes stuff like "Help!", "Assassin!!", or "AAAAAAHHHHHHHHRRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Are there toddlers in the monster manual with a printed CR value? I feel like a handful of toddlers would be even better for this.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Abjuration, Divination, Enchantment and Illusion.

IMO Evocation is pretty meh. It's okay if you're a pure blaster wizard. And at least it's not bottom of the barrel like Transmuter or Conjuration. Or necromancy if you're not going to do the evil undead-mancer thing. But it's still in the bottom half of the PHB options.

You can make it work, in the same way you can make the Champion Fighter or Thief Rogue or Life Cleric work. It's functional mechanically, and it doesn't take much system mastery to not suck with it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

I can definitely see how potent Portent could be (see what I did there? Hurhur), and was very tempted to pick Divination, but then I saw the “Capstone” on Evocation.
    Don't discount portent. You can automatically force a creature to fail a saving throw. That can be quite devastating with spells like feeblemind. I know a couple DMs who outright ban divination wizards from their tables, because portent can completely ruin high CR encounters.

Personally, Bladesinging is my favorite tradition. BS gets a ton of melee potential, making BS even more versatile than most wizards. As a given encounter evolves, BSs have more options than other wizards. If there's one thing people love about playing wizards, it's the fact that they have an absurd number of options available at any given time.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Yeah Tanarii gets it. Evocation sounds good only if you never used a Wizard to their full potential in game. What is the damage of an AoE compared to straight removing multiple combatants from the fight.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

I got to briefly play a divination Wizard and I rather liked it. I know that Divination is often touted as the most powerful school, but what I like about it is that it does encourage being helpful to the party. If your sorcerer or other spellcasting buddy is laying down a powerful spell, nothing prevents you from forcing a single enemy from failing that spell. You can also save your buddies just in the nick of time. So powerful yes, but it doesn't have to party-unfriendly.

Then again, I simply cannot play a striker/DPR. I hate hate hate it. So evocation, no matter how good, will never work for me. I know, I know, a party works best when you can diversify roles, but aarrrgh I could never get into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

21. - Top - End - #21

For me it's Conjuration. I think the 6th level feature Benign Transposition is under-rated, in particular because it doesn't recharge on a long-rest or short-rest basis; you recover this ability each time you cast a Conjuration spell of 1st level or higher. Similar to the Abjurer's Arcane Ward but you get back the full use of the ability, not just part of it.

This is my favorite because I don't believe it's possible to have too much teleportation. While it's true that it takes a full action, it plays well with Haste because it's not a spell, as such, which doesn't run afoul of the one-spell-per-turn rule. So cast Haste, then on following turns, cast a conjuration spell that doesn't use concentration (there are a few good ones), teleport, then repeat. The ability to swap places with an ally is just gravy. You're an instrument of chaos, creating havoc all over the battlefield!

Edited because most decent conjuration attack spells require concentration. Xanathar's added a few more that don't, fortunately.

...and after a closer reading of the Haste spell, I don't think this will work at all. The large print giveth and the small print taketh away. I still like the Benign Transposition feature; more teleportation is always a good thing.
    Last edited by JakOfAllTirades; 2018-04-30 at 02:07 PM.
    I CAN EXPLAIN IT FOR YOU, BUT I CAN'T UNDERSTAND IT FOR YOU.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by CircleOfTheRock View Post
    The intended flavour of the War Wizard, is, I think, not ‘Magic Knight’ but ‘Wizard who happens to be in the employ of an army and has developed his skills with magic for that purpose’. Eldritch Knights are ‘Magic Knights’, as it were.
    The thing is.. War Wizard seems like a perfect match for a 2-level dip out of Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster.

And they're a bit more 'knighty' than the rest of the Arcane Traditions.
    Bladesinger isn't very knightlike.

And I'm thinking more about a dip of Fighter to get better armor. I realize I could get the same if I dip Life, Nature, Tempest or War Cleric.
    Hell, you could get Heavy armor proficiency without needing to start in it, even.

For some reason, I just prefer Fighter. Even if you're losing a level of total Caster progression in doing so.
    Maybe I should consider a dip into Cleric instead of Fighter.. War Cleric/War Wizard certainly seems like it could make a lot of sense. Though I reckon Tempest would be a better fit with the Reaction to damage an enemy on being hit.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

The thing is.. War Wizard seems like a perfect match for a 2-level dip out of Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster.

And they're a bit more 'knighty' than the rest of the Arcane Traditions.
    Firstly, their second level ability appears that way because initiative benefits EVERYONE. A blaster type will be able to use Tactical Wit to avoid setting the party fighter on fire, and considering how poorly people react to that, I'd say it is better for blasters or controllers then strikers. So it isn't purely for melee or magic knights, no. Through I do like how the class can support both play styles, and it is nice to have that choice.

In older editions, War Wizards were less Magic Knighty and far more battlefield support, but I think that bit of lore got dropped since it doesn't mention that or Cormyr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Our airship is strafed by a medium sized dragon, doing serious damage. Everyone else is panicking. I smile and say "I cast Polymorph the dragon into a carp. Oh, and he rolls a 4 on his saving throw."

That was the end of that encounter.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laserlight View Post
    That was the end of that encounter.
    The dragon died from the 10d6 hitting the ground? I mean, that's basically just fireball-level damage to a single target.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

I prefer Divination when it's not an AL game.

In an AL game where the group you play with is subject to change and it's not that uncommon to end up playing in melee heavy groups, Evocation really starts to shine.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

I haven't read all the rules thoroughly, but I have a soft spot for Conjuration because I played a conjurer in 3.5 for a long time. I also love the fluff for War Wizards--especially hobgoblin war wizards, which seems... so appropriate.

28. - Top - End - #28

PaladinGuy

I have always enjoyed Divination. Having Portent is such a powerful ability. Even if you don't roll that auto-fail or nat 20 for the day, chances are you will be able to use those rolls for something. Plus, I had far too much fun hitting a dragon with Tasha's Hideous Laughter and forcing it to fail the save when I played Forge of Fury.

As for the other subclasses...Abjuration was nice, but I played it in the wrong game. Having some temp hp won't save you from a Hill Giant critting you with a boulder in Storm King's when you are level 3 or 4. I forget the exact level. @[email protected]

And Necromancer seems pretty fun, especially with Xanathar's. I just need to be a higher level so I can do stuff with my zombies.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

I've only played a 5e wizard in a one-shot, and I chose Divination because the concept intrigues me the most. Now that I've thought of some other character concepts to play, it's a toss-up between Divination and Illusion for the one I like most. Beyond that, it goes something like Necromancy>Abjuration>the other schools>bladesinger/war magic. I'm not sure why, but the non-PHB wizards just don't interest me very much.

I loathe the UA theurge domain, though. No idea why they thought it'd be a good idea to give the theurge the cleric's domain capstone earlier than the cleric.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    The dragon died from the 10d6 hitting the ground? I mean, that's basically just fireball-level damage to a single target.
    I think the carp died from lack of water to breathe.
    I CAN EXPLAIN IT FOR YOU, BUT I CAN'T UNDERSTAND IT FOR YOU.