New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

d6 Re: The Complex of Doom (IC) Thread 2

Caidacyn looks on in amazement at the resilience of the creature.

"It just won't stop..."

She takes a step and launches yet another blast of eldritch energy at the thing.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    5' step to BL-253.

Eldritch Blast: (1d20+8)[12] ranged touch attack.
    Damage: (3d6)[8]

2. - Top - End - #272
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Complex of Doom (IC) Thread 2

"It'll stop when it's dead." Matai takes a step back and swings ferociously at the creature again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Again using Tactical Strike: (1d20+6)[10] Critical threat check: (1d20+6)[7] Damage: (2d8+3)[14] + (2d6)[2] Critical damage: (4d8+6)[19] If it hits, each ally adjacent to the creature gets a free five-foot step.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

Confident of the mutated creature's demise coming, Kricen continues with his role as conductor. Victor, the smaller and heavily damaged raptor continues to move away while focusing on not being destroyed. Victor's twin Val sprints around to its left to cut off the creature's movement, opening itself to attack before getting to attack back. The rest of the undead continue surrounding and pummeling it into a gooey paste.

Show
    Kricen flies to BG248, still 15' up.

Skeletal Troll 5' north and full attack.
    Val moves to BH252 attracting an AoO and attacks once.
    Max (SR) 5' east and full attack.
    Babs attacks once.
    Victor 5' step to BD255 and does Total Defense (AC19).

Skeletal Troll
    Claw1: (1d20+10)[26] crit: (1d20+10)[21] (flanking)
    Damage: (1d6+6)[9] crit: (1d6+6)[11]

Claw1: (1d20+10)[20] crit: (1d20+10)[13] (flanking)
    Damage: (1d6+6)[9] crit: (1d6+6)[7]

Bite: (1d20+5)[14] crit: (1d20+5)[21] (flanking)
    Damage: (1d6+3)[9] crit: (1d6+3)[6]

Val
    Talons: (1d20+6)[10] crit: (1d20+6)[10] (not flanking)
    Damage: (1d8+4)[5] crit: (1d8+4)[12]

Max:
    Claw1: (1d20+11)[27] crit: (1d20+11)[30] (flanking)
    Damage: (2d6+6)[13] crit: (2d6+6)[15]

Bite: (1d20+6)[20] crit: (1d20+6)[12] (flanking)
    Damage: (1d8+3)[10] crit: (1d8+3)[4]

Babau:
    Slam: (1d20+15)[30] crit: (1d20+15)[21] (flanking)
    Damage: (1d6+9)[13] crit: (1d6+9)[11]
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Round 4, Part 1

Shim sidesteps, landing a solid hit (20 damage), while Caidacyn continues to scorch its hide (hit for 8). Matai steps back and misses his blow.

Kricen arcs around to the north as his undead attack once more. The troll and the megaraptor skeleton both tear open gashes on the creature’s flanks, and the blood going out overpowers its ability to heal.
    Spoiler
    Show

Skeletal troll summon makes 3 attacks, hitting once for 9 damage. (1d8+6)[8], (1d8+6)[13], (1d8+6)[9] damage from spiked skin; (1d6)[6] acid blood spray from 1 hit.
    Val misses. (1d8+6)[13] damage from spiked skin Val is destroyed, this knocks it below 0
    Max hits for 13 damage, killing blow. (1d8+6)[12] damage from spiked skin; (1d6)[2] acid blood spray from 1 hit.

The creature flops to the ground and thrashes around, spraying acid and goo everywhere as it dies.
    Spoiler
    Show

Death throes! Everything within 15’ has to make a Reflex save, DC14, or take (3d6)[12] acid damage and also get sprayed with goo. Success on the save means half damage and no skin-to-goo contact.
    Matai Ref [roll]1d20+[/roll] rolled 12 OOC, fail
    Shim Ref [roll]1d20+[/roll] rolled 13 OOC, fail
    ZB Ref (1d20+4)[18] success, 6 damage
    (Val) sR east Ref (1d20+4)[17] n/a, dead
    SR (big) Ref (1d20+7)[10] fail, 12 damage
    Not rolling for summoned troll.

Spoiler: Status
    Show

Matai 20 damage
    Shim 12 damage
    Max (large SR) 24 damage
    Summoned Skeletal troll 10 damage
    Skeletal raptor east destroyed
    ZB 48 damage
    Max (Large SR) 41 damage
    Last edited by J-H; 2019-01-26 at 09:23 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Unlike Khurdrum’s exposure long ago, the goo is concentrated and active.

Shim feels a strange fire blaze in his nerves for a few seconds. He gains +1 Dexterity.

Matai’s skin crawls and pulls tighter. He looks down and sees that his skin has gotten unnaturally smooth and slick. He gains +2 on grapple & escape artist checks, but suffers a -1 penalty to Diplomacy and Gather information checks due to the appearance change making him look slightly “off.”

Spoiler
    Show

Please add the appropriate modifiers to your character sheets and note the source in the feat section as “Green Goo.”

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

As the creature lives out the last moments of life, Shim is sprayed with its fluids, acid and gree goo coating him. The humors cover him and burn, as he cries out in pain as the creature is no more. After a few moments, the overwhelming burn subsides but the pain lingers on for some time.
    "Everyone alive still?"

7. - Top - End - #277

Once the creature finally stops moving and spraying goo and acid, Kricen lands outside the goo explosion radius and calls his undead to him. He'll start healing each, but before touching them he looks for any of the goo on them. Any with goo will get orders to rub it off onto the ground first. Kricen does not want to risk its effects. While healing the undead, he looks towards Shim and Matai. "You two ok? Try washing that stuff off before it burns you more? What's it doing to you two?"

"I'm going to need a few minutes to undo what that beast did to my pets. Victor is gone, I can't fix that one. Still, better for it to take the charge and beating than one of you. Glad there doesn't seem to be any more. Any thought on what that creature was?"
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Looking at the pool of bubbling water, Shim shudders before pulling his water bottle and dowsing himself, with little effect.
    "Yeah, best to get this muck off. Those things?" he says as he comes closer and takes a closer look.

Spoiler
    Show

KN:?
    (1d20)[2] + ?

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Caidacyn steps back from the spray of blood and goo as the creature expires. She checks herself over before carefully approaching Shim and Matai.

"Are you both okay? That... thing's fluids look harmful!" she says, concerned for her comrades.

Caidacyn looks over the remains of the beast, checking for any signs of magical auras.

"I'm not entirely certain what that thing was; maybe it was once some kind of dinosaur, but it's been so warped by the corrupting powers of those waters that it's beyond my ability to recognise. That flying broom is going to come in very handy in order to cross said waters, unless we take a detour to find a safer place to cross... well, maybe safer; very little seems 'safe' in this place!"

Show
    Detect Magic on dead beastie and the waters where it emerged.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

The magic on both is transmutation - very strong in the pool, and fading quickly on the dead creature.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Looking at Matai, Shim arches an eyebrow. "I fell fine, but... well, dwarf-friend, don't take this the wrong way, but you have the skin of... an elf maiden." there is a short pause as his eyes grow big and his hand goes to his face. "Does my skin look like a babies bottom, too?!?!?!"

12. - Top - End - #282

"Gah!" Matai looks at his skin, appalled.

After a minute, he manages, "No, you look the same. I was going to ask who needs healing." He pulls out his Lesser Vigor wand and looks dubiously at the skeletal raptors. "In case they get badly damaged in combat again, do you know how they'd react to my healing powers--either the wand, or the arts of the Devoted Spirit?"

13. - Top - End - #283

Kricen shakes his head. "Positive energy healing will hurt the undead and me. Right here I have a potion of Inflict Light Wounds that can be used on me. The healing belt I wear is to help the rest of you get back up if needed. With a little more experience I'll be able to heal the undead and myself a bit faster. Devoted Spirit? Good question. Let me finish fixing up Val here and you can try something small?"

"After I'm done here we can all use the broom to get across. Max may be large but he's nothing but bones so weight shouldn't be an issue. The issue will be having to come back in case of emergency, like a pack of t-rex finding us or the slaad coming up from behind while half the party is already across. Need to figure out who is flying in what order."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284

"I figured it would likely do more harm than good. That's why I didn't use Crusader's Strike on...Victor. But for testing, I'm afraid I can't use those arts when not in combat."

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, they'll work on me. Regular flesh and blood, eh? Well, what's our next move?"

16. - Top - End - #286

"The assassin's journal said there should be a glowing stone around here? Let's search this side for it before flying to the other side."

Kricen will look around for such an item but his mind is more focused on not getting the goo on him and pondering if his undead would benefit from the green goo without the downsides?

Show
    Search [roll]1d20+2/roll]
    Spot [roll]1d20-5/roll]
    Show

17. - Top - End - #287

Spoiler: User failure rerolls
    Show
    Search (1d20+2)[10]
    Spot (1d20-5)[3]
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

"Alright, we can do that. I'll check over here. Probably best if we keep fairly close together and call out ever few minutes... not too loud as we don't want to draw attention but enough so everyone knows we are still upright." Shim says with a sardonic grin.

Spoiler
    Show

Search
    (1d20+1)[20]
    Spot
    (1d20)[3]

Listen, just in case
    (1d20+6)[25]

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

You look around, and eventually spot a glowing green stone on the far side of the pool, partly submerged. The gooish water around it is slightly frothy.

20. - Top - End - #290

Matai uses charges from the Lesser Virtue wand on himself and Shim. "I don't think this...liquid...is a risk I want to take any more than I already have involuntarily. You can experiment with your monsters as much as you want, of course."

21. - Top - End - #291

"Agreed. To the other side first. I can send the broom back and forth. I'll take Victor over first, then send the broom back for Max and Babs. Then two of you, then the third."

Short of disagreement, Kricen flies across with Victor. Before landing he circles and looks for any danger. If clear, he'll land and wait a minute still on the broom. If still clear he'll complete the above plan.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    Looking at Matai, Shim arches an eyebrow. "I fell fine, but... well, dwarf-friend, don't take this the wrong way, but you have the skin of... an elf maiden." there is a short pause as his eyes grow big and his hand goes to his face. "Does my skin look like a babies bottom, too?!?!?!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    "Gah!" Matai looks at his skin, appalled.
    Caidacyn looks dubiously at both Shim and Matai.

"I don't know what elf maidens you have seen, but I'm friends with a number of elves and none of them have skin like that!" She ponders the dwarf for a moment. "Too me, it looks more akin to the skin of an eel taken fresh from a river. Sorry," she shrugs helplessly, "Perhaps we can find some way of fixing it, if it's a problem."

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    You look around, and eventually spot a glowing green stone on the far side of the pool, partly submerged. The gooish water around it is slightly frothy.
    The fey woman cautiously approaches the edge of the water, taking great care not to get too close. She scans the area around the glowing stone for the presence of magical auras and for any signs of living creatures nearby.

Show
    Detect Magic 60' cone and Killoren Hunter detect living creatures 30' radius.

"Do we have any way of retrieving the stone without us touching the waters? One of your unliving abominations, perhaps?" she asks Kricen.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

You find no special difficulties or dangers in crossing.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

"MY thanks." Shim says to Matai as he give a nod of his head before trying to hold back, not very successfully, a snicker at Caidacyn's comment.
    "Kricen, do you think the goo would effect your undead creatures?"

Spoiler
    Show

Shim the Charming
    AC = 17 ; Current = 17
    HP = 56 ; Current = 53

Assuming 11 rounds

Effects ~
    Stance = Iron Guard's Glare
    Vanguard Strike x
    Mountain Hammer x
    Douse the Flames x
    Leading the Attack X
    Tactical Strike X

Borrowed equipment:+2 bow, 51 Arrows, 5 Manifester Bane, 3 acid.

25. - Top - End - #295

Assuming everyone has joined him on the far side of the pool, Kricen orders Victor to pulling the green stone out of the frothy pool.
    (Strength 19)
    Show

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Victor tugs at the stone, but is not able to lift it. The skeleton can rock it back and forth a bit, and could probably drag it, if the stone wasn't underwater.

Spoiler
    Show

I am going with 3-4 cu ft and using quartz for comparison @ ~150# per cu ft, so it's 700#.

27. - Top - End - #297

Kricen recalls Victor and takes a look for any effects. If none, he orders Max to get the stone. If successful, he has Max put it down a few feet away from the group, at least 20' from the pool.

"Anyone have a bag of holding?"

Show
    700# is a medium load for Max (str 23 large)
    Show

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Max successfully lifts the stone out of a water, with a loud squelching sound. It drips green liquid into the sand around it, although it appears that it's starting to dry out.

Everyone feels like there's a faint buzzing sound in their heads, just out of hearing range.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Shim's head whips around at the sound just out of hearing range, like an echo of an echo.
    "That's not good. I suggest we hide." as he switches to his bow and then looking at Kricen's small army. "They can hide, right?" before moving to cover.

Spoiler
    Show

Hide
    (1d20+8)[17]

Move Silently (probably not needed)
    (1d20+8)[19]

Listen
    (1d20+6)[22]

Spot
    (1d20)[6]

30. - Top - End - #300

"I do not. What?" Matai swivels around, looking for the source of the "sound"; if nothing in the real world immediately presents itself, he looks at the stone.