New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Northlands Saga - Spears in the Ice OOC

Oh, whoops!

Sorry, I already posted.

Somewhat related, I have a hard time actually playing low charisma characters. >< I think sometimes the answer is simply to have it such that while my words may be polite, my inflection or delivery (or wild-haired Nuk appearance) just makes it that much less impactful.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

For me, I try to think about my other attributes. My high Int, low Cha characters tend to be acerbic, biting or impatient with those around them. Or they are extremely well spoken, but oblivious to those around them. For lower Int low Cha ones, (especially from more Warrior or primitive cultures) I go with matter-of-fact, no holds bared. “You are an excellent warrior, but why do you smell like yak piss?” “You do magic? I thought you were just frail and weak. Good to know.”

YMMV of course ...
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

A quick note on languages for the newcomers, as I skim the sheets:

• Heltinne & WTW - you have Common noted as a language. FWIW this is refluffed as "Nørsk" in the Northlands. Note this excludes reading/ writing Nørsk which is a second language slot of it's own (Runic). Common does exist as a separate language in it's own right but is the trade tongue of the southlands and not commonly used in this campaign setting.
    • Heltinne - I think you still get Celestial as a bonus language since you're aasimar?
    • Knorron - since you have Int 12 I think you have an extra language slot to spend. Other than the usual monster languages, relevant campaign options include Runic (written Nørsk), Andøvan (long-dead human inhabitants of the land), or Seagestrelander (barbarian tribes of the near south-west). If you choose a monster language ask & I'll tell you if it will be relevant or not.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfoot View Post

• Heltinne & WTW - you have Common noted as a language. FWIW this is refluffed as "Nørsk" in the Northlands. Note this excludes reading/ writing Nørsk which is a second language slot of it's own (Runic). Common does exist as a separate language in it's own right but is the trade tongue of the southlands and not commonly used in this campaign setting.
    • Heltinne - I think you still get Celestial as a bonus language since you're aasimar?
    I’ve updated to the Nørsk (reading only). And because Heltinne is a Scion of Humanity, she lost the celestial language. As Røb Zømbie might say, she’s more human than human ..

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    I’ve updated to the Nørsk (reading only). And because Heltinne is a Scion of Humanity, she lost the celestial language. As Røb Zømbie might say, she’s more human than human ..
    Cool, that's easy then....& White Zømbie - that reminds me of many fond/hazy summer memories of drinking beer as a high school student

6. - Top - End - #216
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

• Knorron - since you have Int 12 I think you have an extra language slot to spend. Other than the usual monster languages, relevant campaign options include Runic (written Nørsk), Andøvan (long-dead human inhabitants of the land), or Seagestrelander (barbarian tribes of the near south-west). If you choose a monster language ask & I'll tell you if it will be relevant or not.
    OK, I'll go with
    Seagestrelander then, under the assumption Knorron would have dealt with them more often than long-dead inhabitants. :)
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3/Bar 1 | HP: 38 (26 with rage)| Init +10 | AC 17 T12 FF15 | Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +7 (+9 w/rage) melee 1d8+3/x2, +5 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- summon monster I, cause fear (DC 15), sonic blast D (DC 15), resurgence; 2nd-restoration, lesser (x2), sonic weapon D
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 15)

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurion 2 View Post
    OK, I'll go with
    Seagestrelander then, under the assumption Knorron would have dealt with them more often than long-dead inhabitants. :)
    Yeah that works well. Thralls (slaves) are most often Seagestrelanders, and there's also a bit of trade with the tribes of Seagestreland, so interaction is very common.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

I've updated my sheet as well, loving this campaign already. Kudos to Ghostfoot for running something super immersive and with such a distinct style.

9. - Top - End - #219

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hi all,

My apologies for my lack of posting. For whatever reason, I have been struggling mightily to get engaged and come up with a suitable post, and I really can’t explain why.

I like my character concept. I like the others characters. I like the setting. The posts are very well written and interesting. All of the players seem like the sort of folks I enjoy gaming with. And yet I’m coming up dry here. It’s really perplexing.

I think it might be best for me to bow out now, rather than try to muddle through it, so that you can offer the slot to someone else if you choose. I REALLY hate bailing on a game—I think I’ve only ever dropped one game before, and to be fair it was a terrible game—but I’d rather do it now than after my character gets well established and you all have to figure a way to drop and replace.

Truly sorry about this. As I said, the game looks great, which is what makes this hard to explain. Hope you all enjoy it, and I hope to cross paths with you again in the future.

Cheers,
    Merc
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3/Bar 1 | HP: 38 (26 with rage)| Init +10 | AC 17 T12 FF15 | Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +7 (+9 w/rage) melee 1d8+3/x2, +5 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- summon monster I, cause fear (DC 15), sonic blast D (DC 15), resurgence; 2nd-restoration, lesser (x2), sonic weapon D

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Well, it sucks when you can’t get your mojo rolling on a game ... I think we’re probably all patient enough to work through that with ya, but totally understand the choices of time and commitment. Whatever your decision, happy gaming!

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

As Starbin says, we're happy to give you a bit of time if you would like it. I find a bit of action (ie combat) always helps when the interactions are stalling and we haven't really done anything much yet.

But equally, if you want to bail out no hard feelings. If you change your mind and want to stick with it then let me know in the next ~24 hours.

12. - Top - End - #222

OrcBarbarianGuy

Very much appreciated, Ghostfoot, but I think now is the time for me to bow. Hope you all enjoy the game, it looks like a good one.

Cheers,
    Merc

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Hoping to update this game IC tomorrow, all going well

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Hey,

Ghostfoot has asked me to fill the empty spot. As I first will need to read myself into the story (see where you are) and then figure out where I'm supposed to be (with you, on the way as 'the cavalry' if needed, or simply at home blissfully unaware), I'll probably not post in the IC for now.

Also I'll be going on holiday on Saturday and while I have WiFi (at least, two of the three locations have it for sure, the third maybe), I'll be slow the coming two weeks.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the +1 Andovan Dagger is something that I'll pass along to someone else who was present for the fight. Either Skorri or Signy seem like good candidates? Thoughts?

Also, this amber with moth in it is odd.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PeacefulOak View Post
    I think the +1 Andovan Dagger is something that I'll pass along to someone else who was present for the fight. Either Skorri or Signy seem like good candidates? Thoughts?

Also, this amber with moth in it is odd.
    I'm thinking Skorri or Signy as well, not something the giantess would use.

Welcome Farothel!
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    I'm thinking Skorri or Signy as well, not something the giantess would use.

Welcome Farothel!
    Yes, welcome farothel! Look forward to you joining when you're ready.

Give the dagger to Skorri I reckon. With this many PC's I'll dial Signy down as more of a utility/ non-combat build so don't expect her to get too close to the action

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Yes, welcome farothel! Look forward to you joining when you're ready.

Give the dagger to Skorri I reckon. With this many PC's I'll dial Signy down as more of a utility/ non-combat build so don't expect her to get too close to the action
    I can join at any time, but where do you want my character? Is he with the party, or at the jarl's mansion, or somewhere else?

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Hi new recruits, welcome to the game :-)

Turns out I'm pretty busy IRL for the next ~48 hours so plenty of time to get familiar with things.

You are all welcome to join the game as part of Jarl Henrikson's recently arrived evac-team if you wish. If that doesn't suit for some reason then you can join shortly thereafter. We'll be wrapping up this section and on to the next.

Also, I'll be giving you a bit more wealth shortly too, so if starting equipment has been a problem there's assistance coming soon.

May the Norns favour you as you face your wyrd!
    This post might help ...

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    This post might help ...
    Yep, either is fine. I’m about to bring the party back home.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep, either is fine. I’m about to bring the party back home.
    And level up...? ;)

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Okay, I'll read the full IC tomorrow and do a first post (if for nothing else than to find the topic back more easily thanks to the 'I posted there' check mark).

EDIT: as youngest and probably least experienced member of the warband, I assume that it would be Bjorn's task to lead the found horses. So if anybody wants to say something to him while he gives back the reins of the horses, they can do so.

EDIT2: link to my character sheet, in case it's needed until ghostfoot puts it into the first post (if still needed if this episode is finished).
    Last edited by farothel; 2019-08-30 at 04:27 AM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

So we need to sum up the adventure?

Let's get our kennings up and running, friends!

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PeacefulOak View Post
    So we need to sum up the adventure?

Let's get our kennings up and running, friends!
    Yes! Up to you how in depth you want to go though. You can hand wave it with a one liner if you’d prefer. I figured since you have a skald in the ranks I’d give you the option :-)

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Hail and welcome newcomers!

My apologies to all - I've been taken over by real life lately, so I need to do a lot of catch up. I'll go over the IC & OOC posts later today, and try to post something as soon as I can.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Hail and welcome newcomers!

My apologies to all - I've been taken over by real life lately, so I need to do a lot of catch up. I'll go over the IC & OOC posts later today, and try to post something as soon as I can.
    no problem for me. I'll be spending most of my day stuck in a metal tube without internet access anyway (as well as a couple of hours on airport WiFi if I bother with it), so take your time.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Just a couple of minor tweaks for Bjorn:

• Could you add a portrait to the sheet when you get a moment please
    • Common is not a free language in this game, so with +1 Int you'll get Nordic & either Runic or Common (not both).

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I'll do those tweaks to Bjorn's character sheet when I come back from holiday, as I don't have all my stuff with me (I already have a picture, I just can't get it to show on the site). I doubt it's that urgent.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    I'll do those tweaks to Bjorn's character sheet when I come back from holiday, as I don't have all my stuff with me (I already have a picture, I just can't get it to show on the site). I doubt it's that urgent.
    All good, no urgency

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Would a Masterwork Composite Longbow (+3) be available?

If not, then DDW will offer his reward to another of the group (our giantess perhaps) stating that the Greatsword is more than reward enough for the day's venture.