New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 42 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Dark's Age of Worms IC

Chapter One: The Whispering Cairn

Sunrise in the Cairn Hills is a time of magic. The first brilliant rays of morning cut through the jagged rocks, still wet with the last vestiges of winter's chill, transforming the humble stone into glittering opal. Burning through the nighttime mists, they turn the lake to fire, and for a moment Diamond Lake seems worthy of the name. But it is only a moment, before the sun passes behind the fume rising from the great ventilation fans of the mines. Before the poisonous sheen of the lake bursts its flaming surface like a cancer. Before the stench of insensate drunkards and garbage left to rot in the streets is caught on the first spring breeze. As it has every morning, the truth of Diamond Lake crushes the dream, and the day begins.

Off-duty miners stagger on their last legs, their coin spent to forget their hard company beds and their flinty-eyed company bosses. One of the sheriff's deputies pounds on the door to a ragged shack, rounding up the usual suspects to blame for a murder behind the Feral Dog. In the Vein's main square, the Cuthbertine flagellants make their rounds, the blood from their backs lost in the iron-stained mud of the street. But for all that is unchanging in Diamond Lake, there is an energy to the air. For something unusual has arrived with the spring, a group of travelers, adventurers, boldly dressed and boisterous. Their leader is a man that some whisper won the championship in the Free City Arena, and with every night the tales of their exploits grow in the telling. Their intent, so they say, is to plumb the abandoned depths of Stirgenest Cairn, long a site of youthful indiscretions rather than adventure. But so fine a company would not travel to Diamond Lake on a fool's errand. And if one Cairn still holds mysteries, then why not another?

These are but idle thoughts for most, but for a rare few the promise of treasure in the hills is far more. Natives have long held the Whispering Cairn close to their hearts, a place oft-explored but never robbed of its mysteries. Children once proved their mettle by spending the night, though none have dared since a girl disappeared six years ago. What treasures might this forgotten tomb yet conceal? Spurred by desperation and ambition, six strangers convene at a shadowed table at the Hungry Gar. And though they do not yet know it, in their weathered hands they hold the fate of all the world.

For the Age of Worms has come.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2019-05-21 at 06:33 PM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dark's Age of Worms IC

"...so after months of debate, the Council of Twelve begrudgingly concluded that 'Centaurs' were a new species, and it's been thus ever since. And that's the story of why the Guild of Wizardry doesn't make undiluted love potions anymore." Raejiisa Mythwood, looking like an even bigger ray of sunshine than she usually did this time of day, glanced around the table at her companions. Allies? They had to at least be acquaintances, surely. "So! Remind me who everyone is again?"
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone's lips twitched into a smirk almost despite herself at the conclusion of the wood elf's tale. She raised a dark eyebrow as she glanced at her bodyguard, curious as to what he'd make of the motley crew assembled here and wishing they'd have a moment alone to speak. Not being afforded that luxury at the moment, she instead conceded to the requested introductions.

"I am Simone Bellamy of Greyhawk, A cleric in service of the Sun Father, Pelor." She gestured to her companion.

"This is Reynauld. He has been gracious enough to agree to act as my bodyguard, but he is a seasoned veteran in his own right, and also serves the Shining One." She looked to the man to see if he had anything to add on his behalf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Louise

A rather prim-looking middle-aged human woman sat at the table opposite of Raejisa, her blonde hair just beginning to show its first streaks of gray, and the first sets of lines beginning to set in around her blue eyes and otherwise doll-like face. Her fingers idly interlaced with each other as she took stock of the six souls who had all come together in a fit of cosmic coincidence. It wasn't every day that two separate groups of people went out recruiting manpower for the same task, then attempted to recruit the same two holy men/women at the same time - and yet, that was what had happened. And so, there they sat, breaking the ice together.

"My name is Louise Gweder, Factotum in the service of the wizard Allustan. It is a pleasure to meet all of you."

She smiled, then turned to the Gray Elf sitting next to her and nodded, allowing Cordellia the opportunity to introduce herself.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

”Fascinating darling, though I doubt its veracity” Cordellia stated with unenthused sharpness, her eyes rapidly scanning the pages of the heavy black velvet tome as she muttered vacantly under her breath, and finally after muttering some brief arcane syllables too complex for the uninitiated to replicate she slammed the tome shut and snapped her fingers "Cordellia Farenha, Wizatrix extraordinaire, expert wine connoisseur, and professional part timer." She winked at the Wood Elf whilst brandishing the sliest smile in her repertoire.

Legs popped up on the table, Cordellia struck a rather stunning figure. Lightly tan skin unmarred by the scars of physical labor common throughout the town, sharp pointed cheek bones with a gentle yet pointed jaw line, and a bright vivid mane of gold rolling down her shoulders and to her midback. A stylized swathe of perfectly manicured hair obscured the left eye and a portion of her face as shadow was cast over the remaining facade by the large black brim hat tipped in a flippant regard for the laws of gravity. A single swan feather was tucked carefully into a slit in the hat gently wafting with an unfelt breeze. Left wide open was a black coat with pronounced collar and a feathery ebon cape attached with a purple holster. A ripped ruffled white tunic was the only thing obscuring her chest, laces carefully interwoven throughout, and yet her lithe full build filled out the ensemble nicely. Long black leather heels clicked softly together as a brightly twinkling violet eye slowly darted from person to person, lingering briefly on the stoic crusader, and finally snapped back around to Louise. Steepling her black lace gloves, Cordellia smuggly watched as her precisely coordinated outfit changed colors by the second, and fiddled with her focusing wand snuck between her palms.

"Also the Apprentice to the smartest man in town. But you all already knew that, no doubt. Assuming we do find anything of note in that dusty old place do allow me to look it over when all's said and done."

She unscrewed her flask and began to take an uncomfortably long drink.

Spoiler: Spells Prepared Today
    Show

1x Detect Magic
    1x Prestidigitation (Cast)
    1x Light
    1x Dancing Light
    1x Flare

1x Lesser Fire Orb
    2x Burning Hands
    1x Mage Armor
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2018-05-08 at 10:51 PM.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"You doubt its veracity? Well, I say! What do I say? I say yer gonna pickle yer liver if ya don't ease back on the hooch, daaarling." A short woman with lavender-coloured hair down past her shoulders sat on the table, picking idly at a mandolin nestled lovingly in her lap. She rolled her eyes at Grey Elf's tone, and finished her exaggerated imitation of Cordelia with a small laugh. The musician gave Rae a wink and a sly smile. "Corinne Vaillancourt, musician and star entertainment at Zalamandra’s Emporium." The truth regarding her status at the Emporium was something less than what her words suggested, bthough she cared little if anyone actually believed the line. "But you already knew that, Rae."

Corinne was a short, compact young woman with a slender frame, unique hair color, and a ready smile. She wore her customary clothing: loose blouse and an ankle-length skirt that was then pulled up scandalously past her knees. Right that moment, amusement danced in her eyes as she mocked the Grey Elf, strumming a few chords and singing lightly,

"And it's all for her grog, her jolly, jolly grog,
    All for her beer and tobacco!
    For she spent all her tin with us lassies drinking gin,
    Far across the Solnor Ocean she must wander!"
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld had been re-defining 'crusade' since his arrival in Diamond Lake. The more he saw of the squalid stain of a town, the more it repelled him, but the more it strengthened his resolve. There was a battle to fight here, maybe even a war. If this was where Simone had decided to try and spread Pelor's light, she would need all the help she could muster, and Reynauld had sworn to be her shield.

But crusades required funding, and their finances were quickly dwindling. Without an official branch of the church in town, they had to rely on the cool charity of the Heironean presence, a situation that surely wasn't tenable in the long term. 'Adventuring.' Well, no doubt clearing out the cairn of dangers would improve the safety of innocents in town. If indeed there were any innocents left.

Reynauld sat, spine straight as a ruler, thick arms crossed over his barrel chest. His neck was a taught triangle of muscle, supporting a rectangular face criss-crossed with scars. With brown eyes and a close-cut crop of unremarkable brown hair, the man was nonetheless ruggedly handsome after a fashion. A travel-stained white tabard covered his chest and back, the yellow face of Pelor peaking from above his gauntleted forearms. His armor was a lusterless suit of scale mail on beaten, wrinkled leather, his dented helm resting on the bench near his hip. With furrowed brow and a mouth drawn in a straight line that wasn't quite a scowl, Reynauld nodded curtly as Simone introduced him.

"Well met," he said, shifting uncomfortably. It dawned on him that most of his companionship on campaign had been men. He realized he was surrounded by women, and that he had all but forgotten how to interact with them. It was easy enough to follow Simone; they had their faith as common ground between them. But he had to stop himself from wincing as Cordella propped her legs up on the table.

Adventurers.

He sighed, and cracked a half smile.
    "Please, my lady Simone, grace had nothing to do with it. You will all find I have little grace to spare, I fear. I ask only that you forgive a soldier should his etiquette be found wanting."
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2018-05-09 at 03:13 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Introductions hanging heavy in the air, it was not one of the newly minted adventurers to break the silence, but one of the Hungry Gar's frazzled waitresses. Swinging around the table, she slapped Cordellia's boots off the table before laying down a large platter bearing six wooden plates.

"Off you go there love. Six house specials, right as rain. That'll be nine silver if you please."

The plates were shuffled out with expert speed, each one bearing a thick gar steak seared in corn meal, laying atop a bed of scalloped potatoes and onions. There was even a thin slice of lime atop every steak to give the impression of a citrus flavor.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

9. - Top - End - #9

Louise

Louise put forth a silver and five coppers, covering her own share of the meal. Once the waitress had been paid and departed, she turned to the rest of the party.

"Now, I'm sure that all of us know why we are here at this table, but I'm going to say it one more time anyway, if only to clear up any last-minute misunderstandings."

She leaned forward, drumming her fingers on the table.

"Recently, a party of adventurers arrived from the Free City of Greyhawk, and they have been gallivanting all about Diamond Lake, announcing that they intend on exploring a supposedly empty cairn, out in the Hills. In particular, their eyes are set on a very old Cairn, a local secret of sorts," she added this part for the Pelorites, "Known as the Whispering Cairn. Up until about six years ago, it was a common dare-slash-rite of passage for the local children to go and spend the night there, but the practice was abandoned after a girl vanished there six years ago. Even so, rumors and stories have circulated about how there is more to the Cairn that meets the eye."

"As such, since outside parties have seen fit to become interested, Cordellia and I thought we would get the jump on exploring the place instead. For we have proof that there may be more than meets the eye there - in Allustan's study, I have seen a series of maps, annotated in a strange language, that all point toward the Whispering Cairn."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Just to clarify, Dark, did I only see these maps in Allustan's study, or did I bring them along? If I brought them along, Louise will show them.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld paid three silver, covering himself and Simone, before cutting into the tough fish steak. It was... fine.

He chewed impatiently; the meal was something of an extravagance, and here they were not even guaranteed to make a profit off this delve. Still, calories were calories, and a warrior needed fuel. After mechanically shoveling most of the plate down, he wiped his mouth almost as an afterthought.

"Well, we should get going, yes? Strike while the iron's hot, as it were. I am ready to head for this cairn immediately."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

Corinne hopped off the table and handed a few coins to the waitress. "Thank you, dear."

Before setting into her meal, she gave Louise a wry look. "You mean the Stirgenest Cairn, Louise?"

"You'd think a Factotum would be a little more diligent about getting her facts correct, hm?"

The bard picked at her food and watched as Reynauld practically shoved in his own. And then he mentioned something about leaving immediately. "I should think we may want a proper inventory of supplies, yes? I've never visited one of these cairns, but if they go...uh...down, at least some climbing gear is probably in order. And maybe some tools for opening things? I have some rope..."

12. - Top - End - #12

Louise

"As a matter of fact, I did mean the Stirgenest Cairn, Corinne. My apologies. As for tools, I also have rope - you can never have enough rope on an expedition like this - as well as a hammer, a couple of pitons, and a complete set of tools for opening locks and disabling traps. More importantly, I know how to use them."

Louise could not help but look proud of that last one.

"Oh, and I also should mention one other thing."

She reached into her pack.

"It's nothing professional, but I tried to copy Allustan's maps as best I could. These are our hints toward actual treasure, since the Stirgenest has been swept clean. But my hope is, with these, we can find if the Whispering yet hides something."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2018-05-09 at 07:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Tutting at the serving wench, Cordellia cocked an eyebrow and wiggled it with practiced mockery, and watched as the wench’s backside was appropriately stained as she walked away. Smiling duplicitously she began to carefully and precisely cut away at her meal.

”The finest meal on the Vein. Well, everybody makes mistakes.” She commented after finishing her plate and waving her hand to effortlessly clean herself. The magic whirled around and did the same for each of her new found companions in tow.

Looking down at Louise’s map, Cordellia rested her sharp chin in the nook of her right palm, and positively purred “My my, the help has gotten rather conniving in her old age. I’d be impressed if it weren’t so easy for someone with your position and trust,” she sneered ever so lightly before holding a hand up to Louise ”Hopefully our mutual friend doesn’t feel too betrayed when he inevitably finds out. I mean, what could possibly go wrong, sneaking around the back of the smartest man in town. But enough of that, I’ve magic prepared for the day, and a lust for knowledge.”

She scooted her chair back with a wiggle of her wand, popped her hat up to reveal her face in all its androgynous glory, and walked over to the serving girl. Whispering into her ear she pocketed her a handful of silver pieces and continued to chug her flask as she waited for her to return with.... refreshments.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

14. - Top - End - #14

Louise

Louise frowned slightly.

"It's not like I stole the actual maps or anything, Cordellia. Just made a rough copy with charcoal and parchment. No-one has been hurt by this. In the event that Allustan does take exception with me copying the map, then I will apologize and accept any consequences, but as far as I'm concerned, this is no different from me taking notes from any other tome in his library."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2018-05-09 at 08:17 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

”*Burp* No such thing as a victimless crime, darrrrling. Could have atleast asked the nice man in advance.” She smirked and slurred her words slightly while wagging a finger at Louise tauntingly.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

16. - Top - End - #16

Louise

"Perhaps I should have. I will confess I was a touch caught up in the moment when the idea struck. But what's done is done. In any case, we will need this map - I don't know about you or the others," she pointed to Rae and Corinne, "But it has been years since I last passed by the Whispering Cairn, and I'd rather have some sort of aid to keep us from getting hopelessly lost."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

"City law is complicated." Rae might not have been the greatest at navigating social activities, but even she knew that if this turned into some kind of domestic spat then there'd be no adventure for anyone. "Anyway, I've got some gear of my own, but I guess a backup weapon or two couldn't hurt."

Backup indeed. While only somewhat above average height for an elf - making her of fairly unimpressive stature among humans - Rae's powerful build was visible where it wasn't covered by her stiff leather armor, which creaked whenever the excitable elf made a move that stressed it. Additionally, a two-handed sword that normally hung from a shoulder strap had been removed, with the strap, to rest on the back of the wood elf's chair. The blade was a monster, hanging down to her knees when worn, and flaring out to a bearded head at the end in the style of the swords wielded by executioners. Three holes evident in the end were designed to whistle if the strike was not clean. It looked too big for the elf, though Rae had removed it with no trouble, the heavy steel not seeming to overbalance her in the slightest.

In truth, the intimidation factor ended there. Her clothing, armor, and pack had all seen better days, bearing sweat and dirt stains that didn't seem to fade even with magical cleaning, with wear clearly visible on parts of it. The vibrant reds, greens and browns of her clothing were all beginning to fade, but her dream stayed bright. Like hell was she going to let this endeavor collapse before it began. Seeing the possibility of her potential companions allies cohorts bickering again, she slammed one fist down on the table. "Come on, everyone. This is the chance of a lifetime! Forget the fact that we're competing with veteran adventurers, arena champions, and a hundred years of entropy and focus on the possibility of drinking a glass of water that doesn't glow in the dark!" She finished with a bright smile, though after a beat she shook the hand she'd hit the table with and winced. "That would have been more impressive if I had a gauntlet."
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2018-05-09 at 09:08 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld considered Rae's massive sword with an appraising gaze, and gave a nod of satisfaction.
    "Indeed. A child may have perished at this cairn. We could be saving lives, clearing out the place of dangers. That's all the permission we need, the way I see it.

As far as supplies, I have rope, rations, sunrods... Hard to know what else we might need without investigating first."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone tapped the back of Reynauld's hand and smiled as she leaned slightly closer to her bodyguard.

"I'll get the next one." She likewise cut into her fish and ate it without complaint, though admittedly also without relish. She grimaced. It was not the mediocrity of the meal that displeased her, but the gray elf's pleasure at her own pettiness. Her attention was soon turned from the server to the mission at hand, however, as the other were taking note of their collective gear.

"Rope, a grappling hook, torches, flint and steel." She ticked off her own contributions.

"I agree with Reynauld, we should set out to the cairn straight away. Unless somebody has a pressing errand?" She eyed the others speculatively, privately wondering what exactly some of them might offer to their party.

"I'm sure the map will be quite helpful." She nodded approvingly at the mousy blonde and waited for the others to ready themselves to go.
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Tucking her black tome into her satchel, Cordellia screwed the top of her flask back into place, and fashioned her polished wooden cane. Leaning against it luxuriously, the Gray Elf struck a tipsy pose at the Wood Elf’s outburst, and swayed at her full stature. Even outside of her heels, she was a Gray Elf of particular stature, and with them she almost stood eye to eye with Reynauld.

”Rope, flint, steel, and oh... what was that last little detail? Oh right: Magic.” She guffawed after the pronounciation of magic accompanied with a crackle of arcane energy rushing through her veins and her vibrant violently vivid violet eyes.

“All’s well that ends well. I’m sure we’ll have a gay old time finding this treasure, right Louise? We should leave post haste as the righteous lady bades.” She wagged a finger at Simone as a lecherous smile crept along her chiseled face. Strutting over to the Wood Elf Warrior, Cordellia daintily placed a single gloved hand on her shoulder and cocked her head to the side “I’m sorry... Actually I’m not sorry, you asked the question first. What’s your name exactly? I’d like a title for such an exquisite example of kinsmanship.”
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Not entirely thrilled about the hand on her shoulder, Rae nonetheless threw her arm around Cordellia's shoulder with enough force to rattle teeth. "That's the spirit! My name is Raejiisa Mythwood, of the clan of Mythwood. That's 'Raejiisa' with two 'i's, though almost everyone shortens it to Rae. I don't mind." Shrugging and beginning to collect her equipment, Rae listened to the ongoing deliberation over the map. "And I really do think I should go get that backup weapon. I lost my last dagger in an unfortunate disagreement with a man too drunk to realize I wasn't his wife. Maybe I'll meet you on the road to the Cairn after we finish our assorted errands?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

The front door of the Hungry Gar opened onto the Vein's main square, already bustling even under the morning sun. Across the way, a small crowd was gathered outside the Feral Dog, the knot of locals parting for a tall man in armor more decorative than practical. Little was left to the imagination, and the fine greatsword he held in his hands made it clear he was one of the storied visitors to the town. He halted at the center of the ring of townspeople, where someone had braced a log nearly a foot in diameter. The warrior raised his sword to the cheers of his audience, and with a cry brought it down in a flash of polished steel. The log split with a thunderclap, the bark around the cut twisted from the force of the impact, and the crowd roared with delight. At once, two of the Midnight Salute's off-duty girls were draped around the man, giggling as he lead his adoring public inside.

The fruits of fame, it seemed, were sweet indeed.

The map took you north, out of town along Company Road and into the surrounding hills. All too quickly, the road became a trail, and then little more than a scrabble of packed earth cutting through the hostile landscape. Twice, it seemed the trail would lead you astray, but many eyes may see what two cannot, and after an hour of travel something new appeared on the horizon. Standing atop a lonely hill were the ruins of a two story house, once perhaps grand enough to be called a mansion. At once, Louise recognized it as the sole man-made landmark on Allustan's much more detailed map. The Whispering Cairn was close.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-05-10 at 01:10 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld strode forth, using his halberd as an impromptu walking stick. A small quiver of javelins was slung over a shoulder, and a maul hung from a loop on his belt. He seemed to bear the burden of his gear without complaint, used to long marches in the sun.

As the group neared the abandoned manor, the crusader gestured toward it with the point of his pole arm.
    "Well, we'll have a roof over our heads if we need to make camp, at least. We're close to the cairn now, yes? We ought to sort out a marching order. Rae and I in the front seems sensible."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"Um, I'd prefer to be toward the back, but not all the way in the back." Corinne now sported a set of new studded leather armour, a longsword that looked rather large, as well as a bow and full quiver at her back. Along with this was a rather full-looking backpack that she struggled to carry well. The assortment of armour, arms, and equipment represented the investment of her life savings to this point, freshly purchased in town.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Circling around the hill of the ruined manor, the party proceeds onward towards their ultimate goal. Here and there in your passing, you catch the barest hints of prior habitation. A collapsed pile of planks here, some tangled scraps of rail there, decayed memorials to people long dead. Soon enough they fade into the distance, and after ten minutes you crest a low hill and behold the Whispering Cairn itself.

Jutting forth from the side of a hill like a gaping maw, the monolith-lined entrance is partially obscured by the surrounding underbrush. However, neither boulder nor scrub stop the eerie whistling that emerges from the depths of the shadowed portal. Scrambling up the rough terrain, you find yourselves standing before an open tunnel twenty feet in height and width, the rough exterior stones transitioning to smooth, unblemished rock as you proceed beyond the grip of the elements.

Natural light dimly illuminates a long hallway extending north into darkness. A faint breeze brings with it sibilant whispers that sound almost like sighing breath. It must be a trick of the wind, but the effect is almost lifelike.

The walls bear horizontal bands of deceptively simple geometric patterns at waist level. In places the bands reveal startling detail, but in others the walls look as though they have been hacked apart with weapons or eroded by the rigors of time. Flakes of ancient paint, brilliant purple and a dull mustard hue, still cling to the walls in places, hinting at what must once have been a riot of color. A thin coat of dust coats the floor.

Just inside the darkened tomb, the hallway branches into shallow alcoves to the east and west. Here the walls bear the most significant damage. Dozens of clumsy etchings mar the beautiful ancient masonry like graffiti on a city wall. A clump of soiled cloth about the size of a halfling rests in the rounded terminus of the western alcove.

Outside, the wind picks up, and a chorus of human sounds rises from the darkened hall.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-05-10 at 06:05 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone listened to the moaning winds carefully for a moment before she cautiously wandered deeper into the tomb entrance. The ambiance wasn't particularly inviting, but neither was there anything unexpected. She spied the small bundle of fabric in the alcove and went over to regard it curiously.

"I think something may have once stood here?" She pointed at the four circular holes that had been bored around the circular depression at the back of the alcove.

"Anyone need a bedroll?" Her tone was slightly facetious as she poked at the old, dusty bedroll with her mace.

"At least it's not moldy." Indeed, the entire chamber smelled of nothing more than dust.
    #Notallinfluencers

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'll pass." Rae spared only a glance for the clump of rags before wandering deeper inside, alert for anything unusual.

28. - Top - End - #28

Louise

Louise took a deep breath, emotion welling within her breast. For all of the tales of adventure she'd read in various tomes over the years, she had never done anything so daring herself. Her ears pounded with excitement, and more than just a little nervousness. This group seemed competent enough, but only time would tell whether or not they could stand together if the worst-case scenario happened.

At Simone's question, she chuckled slightly and shook her head. "I've already got one of my own, thank you."

Then, her eyes caught something. Quickly taking stock and seeing that Rae had a lantern and Reynauld had a sunrod lit, she decided to arm herself and unslung her bow.

"To the north - does anyone else see that green light?"
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2018-05-10 at 07:11 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Sitting comfortably in the rear, Cordellia took a swig of whiskey, tapped her cane against the ground twice, and watched as the wood glowed a violet light. Glancing at the dusty clothes, Cordellia did a quick sweep of the room before nodding at Louise.

”As clear as day, sweetie. Nice eye.”

“Positively eerie.”
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

While the rest of the party examines the initial alcoves, Rae's lantern reveals another intersection twenty feet further into the cairn. The western hall extends perhaps forty feet, ending at a small marble platform raised about six inches off the floor. A strange, shattered arcane apparatus rests upon this platform, its curved ovular frame giving the appearance of a noble’s dressing mirror. Only a third of this frame remains. An unusual arcane glyph about the size of a man’s head has been delicately carved into the base plate of the support platform. Meanwhile, fifteen feet down the east passage, a huge pile of collapsed rubble blocks the alcove from top to bottom. It looks like it would take weeks to tunnel through the densely packed debris.

Though her light reveals only darkness further north, Rae's eye catches a hint of green flickering in the distance. Not close enough yet to discern its source, but clearly stretching from one wall of the tunnel to the other. The wind picks up outside once again, but this time Rae, Corinne, and Reynauld hear the sound of something shifting beneath the haunted cries of the cairn.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-05-10 at 07:15 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.