New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Dark's Age of Worms IC

Reynauld let loose a yawn, before sheepishly grinning from within his helm.
    "Oh. Pardon me. I say, a good scrap or two can leave a man bushed, but I feel abnormally tired after that bout. Come to think of it, I felt rather sleepy as I... give me a moment..."

Reynauld exited the room, returning the central nexus hall, to see if he felt any more awake upon leaving. Indeed, he seemed to return to a more alert state.

"Friends, I think there's some sort of magic afoot in that room. I felt drowsy within, but I feel fine out here. Perhaps whoever built this place intended that room for rest?"
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2018-06-26 at 12:15 AM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

”Interesting theory, Ser Reynauld, and one that I definitively can’t ratify at the moment. What I can confirm is that an aura of necromancy rests upon the room. And a decently dense one at that.” She experimentally poked a single gloved finger in and out of the room’s dimensions “The statue is also of a fairly potent magical nature.”
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

Louise

"Definitely sounds like a magical trap got set off. Hopefully your tiredness is the worst of it."

Louise approached the entrance of the room, but did not step in outright. Holding up her torch, she tried to discern if there was anything else in the room worth going in to grab.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Take 20 on Spot for 26.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"It's only a temporary fatigue, Madam Louise," said Reynauld. He re-entered the chamber, picking up the dusty headless corpse with the red armor and dragging it out of the curious room.
    "Pardon me, friend," he said to the corpse, not unkindly.

"Another Seeker. Perhaps an associate of those unfortunate fellows in that beetle nest room. I'm no expert, but I'd wager this expedition met its doom quite some time ago.
    It's a bit ghoulish, but perhaps their shades would rest easier knowing their equipment will benefit those still among the living."

With that, Reynauld began to rifle through the corpse's belongings.

5. - Top - End - #275

Louise

As Reynauld dragged the corpse out of the room, Louise stood up - and then her eye caught something.

"I can spot nothing else of interest within, but look, there - there is a silver ring, around one of the corpse's fingers."

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Hoisting the dead seeker from his stony perch, Reynauld leaves a faint trail of grease behind him as he agitates the long-stationary corpse. The smell is potent, but brief - time has left little to offend the senses. Rifling through dusty pockets, the crusader finds little of interest, but Louise's sharp eye is the first to notice the ring. A plain silver band, it is nevertheless heavy and well-polished, a far cry from the pitiful token found in the snake's nest. Furthermore, closer examination reveals the red armor to be in reasonably good repair despite the ravages of time, and its craftsmanship is plain to see.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The corpse has a suit of Masterwork Leather Armor and a Silver Ring.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Once the valuables were secure, Reynauld approached what appeared to be a pool or water-logged section of the hallway, where he had seen the telltale reflections off his sunrod.

"Hmm... Now this is curious. Miss Rae, may I borrow your rope?"

Reynauld tied his sunrod to the rope and tossed it into the water, to gauge its depth and see what there was to be seen, if anything.
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2018-06-27 at 01:53 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

Her arrow now having been needed, Corinne shoved it back in her quiver after the stronger members of the group dispatched the beetle. "Poor souls," she said, indicating the corpses. "Even if they were greedy, I wouldn't wish a lonely death down here for anyone."
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Moving along the northern corridor, Reynauld passes a pair of alcoves studded with pegs and braces. It is an oddly domestic sight, more evocative of a craftsman's workshop than an ancient tomb, but whatever tools may have rested within were looted long ago. Just beyond the alcoves sits a pool of still water, flush with the floor and extending back ten feet to form a perfect square. The impact of Reynauld's sunrod echoes through the stone corridors of the cairn, and as it sinks the alchemical torch reveals a stairway leading down into the water, towards a corridor further north. At the limit of the murky illumination, he can almost see where the corridor opens into another wide chamber.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

10. - Top - End - #280

Louise

Louise quickly followed after Reynauld, gazing into the now-illuminated water.

"So... I'm guessing we're at the limit of how much we can explore here, then. Unless we can figure out a way to deal with this water."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"Nonsense!" exclaimed Reynauld. "The light of Pelor shines in the darkest of places! With my trusty sun rod, and a stout length of rope, I can proceed into the water and take a look around. We'll tie it around my waist, so if anything happens to me you can reel me back in, like so much fish! Ha!"

The crusader secured his maul to his belt with a leather thong, getting out his halberd.
    "I can hold my breath for a decent while, but perhaps after sixty seconds, give the rope a few sharp tugs. I'll take that as the signal to make my way back to you. And if something unpleasant has happened to me, you can drag me back before I drown! Hopefully!"

Reynauld began tying the rope around his waist, making sure the sunrod was likewise secure.
    "I'm starting to see a theme to this wing of the cairn. The beetles were feasting on that horrible orange goo, and that other room made you sleepy. Food, rest... perhaps this watery area is a bath? Living quarters, you see? But perhaps someone has left the tap on for too long."

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone looked at the water doubtfully.

"Your bravery is laudable Reynauld, but shouldn't we perhaps test the water's danger first? Maybe toss a rock in and see if anything comes for it?" She glanced around the ground for anything to toss into the murky pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

13. - Top - End - #283

Louise

"Well, nothing reacted to the sunrod."
    Louise pointed to the glowing stick, shining beneath the water. "If that didn't get any creatures down their stirred up, I'm not sure what else would."

She then fished some rope out from her own pack and offered it to Reynauld.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh that's true!" Simone shook her head in embarrassment.

"I'm afraid this cairn in making me paranoid! She hugged herself with her arms as she continued to eye the water warily.

"I'll help pull Reynauld up if he gets into trouble.
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

"And I'll wait to shoot anything that appears and tries to eat Reynauld." Cordellia chimed as she approached the water's precipice and aimed her glowing cane at it as if it were a wand.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"Right! Let's test the waters."

Reynauld marched into the water up to his waist, testing the temperature.
    "Remember, count to sixty once my head goes under, then give the rope several tugs! I'll try to keep the count myself, but I'm going to concentrate on holding my breath."

And with that, the crusader prepared to delve into the submerged area beyond.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

"One...two...three...four...five..." Simone dutifully began counting out loud as she tensely waited for Reynauld to emerge from the water.
    #Notallinfluencers

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"I do hope he comes back safely." Corinne fingered her bow anxiously, testing the string several times between glances at the water and Reynauld's disappearing form.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

A sharp chill rises up Reynauld's leg as he takes the first step down the submerged stair, the subterranean lake quick to devour what warmth he had to offer. The weight of his armor is sufficient to keep his feet on the ground even as the water closes in over his head, isolating Reynauld in a world of murky shadows and the pounding of his own heartbeat. The staircase opens into a large room, easily forty feet to a side, its interior filled with the accouterments of a public bath. Long stone troughs cross the northern and southern edges of the room, while four pillars of tan stone rise up to strange metal spigots eight feet from the ground. Beneath each pillar rests a tangle of debris, the combination of smashed wood, mangled metal, and moldering cloth serving to obscure what might once have been drains.

The light of Reynauld's sunrod strains to penetrate the gloom, revealing corridors leading to the west and east. To the north sits a closed door, carved from the same stone as the surrounding walls. However, before he can investigate further, a strange disturbance ripples the water around Reynauld. Without warning, a serpentine shape superimposes itself on the water above him, striking out with aqueous fangs. The initial hit catches the crusader off guard, swiping across the chin in a sensation not unlike being struck by a wave. However, it is no easy thing to overcome the training of Pelor's faithful, and Reynauld manages to parry a second strike.

Show
    Reynauld is hit for 2 damage before being missed. It is now his turn.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Bubbles escaped from Reynauld's mouth and nose as the strange animate water-serpant struck him aside the helm. However, the pain and disorientation only served to strengthen his resolve! He took his special stance, trusting in his faith to keep him alive, before stabbing at the creature with the spear-head of his halberd. He attempted to strike in such a way as to cover a retreat toward dry terrain!

Show

Swift action assume Martial Spirit stance.
    Reynauld will then attack with Douse the Flames (ironically). If it hits, the creature won't be able to take attacks of opportunity for a round. Hopefully this keeps him safe, but either way he will then move away from it (provoking if he misses). Also if he hits, he will heal the 2 damage in his furious counterstrike pool.

Attack: (1d20+5)[19]
    Damage: (1d10+5)[14]

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Reynauld's halberd strikes true, severing the serpentine figure in the midsection. With the hiss of hard rain, the creature dissipated into the surrounding water, leaving no sign of its passage.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

The rest of the party had just counted past thirty or so when Reynauld emerged from the water, sopping wet. He removed his helm to dump out the excess water before striking his ears. He then slopped and slapped over to the gathered ladies.

" *cough* *cough* Well! I was attacked! Some sort of... creature. Made of water, it seemed to me. It gave me a good thumping, but it was no match for my trusty halberd. A good clean thrust and it dissipated. Do not worry, Lady Simone, I am unharmed! My faith in Pelor's warmth was my aegis.

I believe my theory about this place is confirmed. It appears to be a public bath of some kind down there. There are some side rooms, and a door on the far side. It's not terribly large, and if we hold our breath I believe we can cross it. Perhaps another dry segment of the dungeon lies beyond that door?

I'll happily go back down there. In fact, I intend to, but does anyone have weapons suitable for fighting underwater? Thrusting attacks will prove easier, for the water resistance will slow down wide swings from a sword or mace.

It's cold, wet work, to be sure. I'd understand if you would all prefer to remain up here. But I wouldn't turn down backup at this stage."
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2018-07-01 at 01:50 AM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sun and shield." The relief in Simone's voice was palpable as her bodyguard resurfaced none the worse for the encounter.

"Of course I'll have your back. I don't have a thrusting weapon per se, but I'm sure I could poke something with my morningstar if it came to that."
    #Notallinfluencers

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"I am afraid I have only my longsword and bow and arrows," answered Corinne. "I could stand outside the water and perhaps shoot in if something made an appearance."

25. - Top - End - #295

Louise

"I similarly only have my bow."
    Louise shrugged apologetically. "I probably should invest in a decent dagger, once we return home and sell off some of our haul. Right now, if something gets up in my face, I'm a sitting duck."

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

"I have a dagger," Rae offered, "And I'm happy to back you up, but I'm no aquatic elf. I don't know how long I can hold my breath - not as long as you, I'm thinkin'." The elf put away her massive blade and drew a much smaller, pointier one.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"Very well. Madam Louise, Miss Corinne, keep a weather eye out for danger and guard our packs. Everyone else, stick together! I'll lead the way. Let's check those side passages in case there's anything nasty hiding in ambush. Then we'll go back for air, then check out that stone door."

Reynauld once again waded into the cold water, took several long inhalations, then proceeded once again into the overflowing bath area.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh wonderful, water. My favorite. Louise, be a dear and keep my spellbook dry. I'll shine a light and keep point with Reynauld. Hopefully my fire orb will turn to steam underwater, but if all else fails, well, I'll still shine bright." Her iris flared a glowing gold briefly before transferring the brilliant golden light to her rapier. She quickly discarded her trench coat, hat, and most of her clothing before taking a deep breathe and following behind Reynauld.

"This is going to be murder on my hair."
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone said nothing but filled her lungs with air and clasped her holy symbol of Pelor as she felt the weight of her armor pull her to the bottom of the chamber where she followed slowly behind Reynauld and Cordellia.
    #Notallinfluencers

30. - Top - End - #300

Louise

Louise obligingly took Cordellia's spellbook.

"You all be safe, now."