New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dark's Age of Worms IC

Reynauld leads the majority of the party back into the cold dark of the flooded tomb. Circling around the bathing troughs and around the pillars dotting the central chamber, he makes his way along the right hand wall, intent on exploring the eastern side passage. In the bright light of the party's magical tools, none see the red pinpricks lurking to the west, flitting from pillar to pillar as it hunts them. So intent are Reynauld and Rae on defending front and rear that neither even hears the hiss of angry steam as the shadow finally launches itself at Cordellia, but it is close enough that both she and Simone swing around towards the sound. Emerging from the darkness is the bloated figure of a man, or what was once a man, skin calcified into ragged scales, emaciated fingers spread wide in mutated fins. His empty eye sockets burn with a crimson rage, and as he closes on Cordellia his mouth unhinges to reveal row upon row of razor-sharp teeth. The first blow tears a horrific gash across the wizard's throat, filling the water with clouds of her blood.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ulvaunt wins initiative and is only detected by Simone and Cordellia. His partial charge does 6 damage, disabling Cordellia. Cordellia and Simone may take a standard action in the surprise round.

Actual Initiative:

Ulvaunt

Good Guys
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-07-05 at 03:10 AM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone was shocked as the creature lashed out at Cordellia from seemingly out of nowhere, but quickly recovered and instinctively thrust her holy symbol of Pelor at the undead thing that menaced them.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    (1d20+1)[14]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

Panicking at the sight of the Lacedon, Cordellia’s eyes bulged, and bubbles mixed with blood as she attempted to swim away from the lacedon.

Spoiler: Swim check?
    Show

Swim?:(1d20)[15]
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

The horrific apparition flinches as Simone presents her holy symbol, but as the light washes over it without effect it gives her a mocking smile. It is a terrible thing, jagged teeth still wet with Cordellia's blood and stripped with ragged bits of her skin. Its attention seems wholly focused on Simone, but as Cordellia attempts to swim behind the brave cleric the beast lashes out again, halting her in her tracks and opening her belly with an impact that sends her against the wall. It turns like a shark in a feeding frenzy, unleashing not just a bite against Simone but also a pair of sickly claws. One claw rebounds against Simone's shield, but the second finds purchase in her side, giving her attacker the leverage to clamp his teeth around her throat.

Show
    Cordellia is hit with the AoO for 3 damage. Simone is then full-attacked and hit twice, dealing 10 damage.

Simone must make 2 Fort saves, one versus Paralysis and one versus Disease.

The party is up.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Before Reynauld could register what was happening, half of his companions were bleeding out into the water. He couldn't make a sound other than a furious gurgling growl as he stomped through the water, the hideous creature's claws raking off his armor. He thrust the point of his halberd at the beast, desperately trying to keep his allies alive.

Show

Reynauld assumes Martial Spirit stance as a swift action, moves, and attacks with the Leading the Attack strike. If he hits, he heals Simone 2 hp and everyone gets a +4 on attacks against it.
    Attack: (1d20+4)[6]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[14]

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone's scream of pain and horror was silent under the water, the stream of bubbles that escaped her mouth its only indication. She could feel unconsciousness pulling at her, and its blessed relief was tempting, but she fought against it even as she felt the ghoul's foul disease infiltrating her body. She pushed away from the vile creature though she didn't get get far in her injured state.

Spoiler: ooc actions
    Show
    I moved at half speed away from it. So 10 feet.
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

Rae wasn't really sure what she was expecting, but suddenly there was blood everywhere and some kind of creepy critter rampaging among her party. Pumping through the blood, she pushed forward and thrust her dagger at the hostile creature.

Show
    Move - Swim Check: (1d20+5)[10]
    Swift - Punishing Stance
    Standard - Sapphire Nightmare Blade
    Concentration Check: (1d20+4)[7]
    Attack: (1d20+4)[10] vs. FF if above check beats AC, -2 if it does not.
    Damage: (1d4+3)[4] + (1d6)[6] if SNB
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Suddenly assailed by the warriors at the head and rear of the column, the undead creature flails wildly to avoid their blows. Its erratic movements give Simone the opportunity to slip away, and its attacks are so wild that only a single bite manages to find its way past Rae's defense. The gore-filled water churns with the violent motions, tinting everything deep crimson.

Show
    The ghoul's AoO misses Reynauld. It then full attacks Rae, landing one bite for 4 damage.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

The water was awkward to fight in: the last thrust went wild. Reynauld steeled himself, channeling the power of the solid ground beneath his feet as he trie to impale the monster against the column.

Show

Stone Bones maneuver this time, healing Simone 2 if he hits.
    Attack: (1d20+4)[15]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[12]

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Bolstered upon seeing Reynauld land a vicious blow to the undead horror, Simone gathered up what remained of her courage and thrust her holy symbol at the fiend once more.

Show
    Turn undead
    (1d20+1)[13]
    and move 10 feet
    #Notallinfluencers

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

With Reynauld's halberd protruding from it, Rae, placed her free hand on the butt of her dagger before thrusting forward again, attempting to finish the wretched creature. All or nothing!

Show
    Attack: (1d20+4)[18]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[6] + (1d6)[3]

A short time later, Rae burst up from the surface of the water, and a moment after that Cordelia's body hit the cold stone of the cairn's floor. The warrior was bleeding, but nowhere near as badly as the wizard, who wasn't even breathing. "Medic!"
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2018-07-05 at 02:55 PM.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

Rae's thrust catches the creature in its gaping maw, slicing through tendon and piercing bone to emerge from the back of its skull. There is a final twitch that sends shudders down Reynauld's halberd, then the monstrosity stills. Turning towards her fellow elf, Rae discern's the deathly paleness in her skin, the lack of bubbles from the mouth, and realizes how close she is to danger. Scooping an arm around Cordellia, she begins the impossibly long march back towards the stairway and breathable air. Seconds stretch to minutes in the adrenaline-fueled rush, and every muscle burns as Rae finally hoists her companion's body back onto the waiting stone of the level above. Watching for signs of movement, Louise and Corinne are confronted with a pool stained red with blood as Rae emerges like a vengeful specter, Cordellia draped over her shoulder, until both collapse in a pool of water and runny blood. Cordellia's throat is all but torn away, and she does not seem to be breathing.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone struggled against the weight of her armor to traverse the submerged chamber that suddenly seemed twice as long as it had before their harrowing encounter with the ghoul. She dragged herself out of the water and sputtered as she gasped for breath.

"Cordellia!!" She used her first breath to scream her concern for the elf as she spied the slender, inert figure lying on the ground.
    #Notallinfluencers

14. - Top - End - #314
    Firbolg in the Playground

Louise

Louise wanted to scream something, but couldn't. The blood was everywhere.

Magic could mend it, but it wasn't something immediately available. The key point, now, was stopping the bleeding long enough for it to get there.

Furiously, Louise tried to staunch the flow...

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Now would be a really ****ty time to roll badly.

Move next to Cordellia, then...

Heal: (1d20+2)[9]
    Everything dissolves into blue.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone watched Louise's ineffectual attempts at staunching the flow of blood that poured from Cordellia's wounds only briefly before she gently pushed the other woman's hands away and desperately sent her healing energies through the patient.

"Please." Her voice was a ragged whisper beneath her breath as she focused.

Spoiler: CLW
    Show
    (1d8+2)[8]
    #Notallinfluencers

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

As the party gathers around the waning body of Cordellia, light shines from the holy symbol in Simone's hand. The lightest touch of her fingertips sends an electric shock through the unconscious wizard, lifting her sodden hair in a display of power. Slowly, the flow of blood ceases, the skin around ragged arteries knitting together in pale twining scars. She coughs, and a spray of blood and black water splashes against the wall, her breathing growing stronger as the final punctures in her throat are sealed. Hand clench involuntarily as pain fades from a looming nightmare into memory, and at last her blood-stained eyelids flicker open.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld emerged from the water moments before Simone, his face grim. He had managed to heal Simone in his own small way, but hadn't been quick enough to help Cordellia. But the cleric channeled Pelor's magic well, and before long the wizard was practically as good as new, albeit cold and wet. Reynauld once again poured the water out of his helm.

He jogged in place for several moments to keep the blood flowing into his extremities.
    "I'll be right back," he said before plunging into the water once more. In the gloom he found the floating body of the hideous creature, and grabbed it firmly with distaste, dragging it back. He brought it up to the dry hallway, flopping its corpse on the ground.

"Let's see if this filth was worth the blood spilled," he said as he searched it for anything of value.

The crusader made a few more trips into the water, bringing back a small cache of coins, another corpse, and a fine short sword.

"Is Ms. Cordellia back on her feet? We've at least made some profit today. And ridding the world of an undead abomination is a victory in my book. This annex of the cairn seems thoroughly explored, unless someone more eagle-eyed than I would like to take another dip in that flooded area. My lady Simone, you're still injured. If you attend your wounds, I believe that is your last miracle for the day. Perhaps it's time we rested again?"
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2018-07-06 at 02:30 PM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm for it." Rae grunted. She was still soaked, propped up against the wall to rest while Simone worked her magic. Blood mixed with the water pooling under her, and she shivered. "I've had enough fun for one day, and whatever exists in an ancient submerged toilet doesn't really seem worth the effort."

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone had collapsed wearily by Cordellia's side once she had been certain of the elf's recovery and covered her with the dry cloak she had pulled out of her backpack. Her own myriad injuries were still weeping and Rae didn't look much better, but she did as Reynauld bid and used the dregs of her magical abilities to heal some of her own wounds. Feeling slightly less woozy, she sat up slowly and nodded her assent with Reynauld's plan.

"A rest is definitely in order after that ordeal I think." She tried a smile but it was worn and wan. Her eyes lit upon the other elf who was still looking a bit worse for wear.

"Rae, let me." She held out her hand to the woman and exhausted her healing for the day.

Show
    CLW on Simone for 6.
    CMWx3 on Rae for 3.
    #Notallinfluencers

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

After pondering the food problem, Corinne decided on an uncharacteristically unwise choice of action, and went to investigate the strange orange goo the beetles had been loitering around. Her keen intellect told her the material was likely good to eat (if a bit bland), and magically generated. Her deduction proved correct, however, she failed to take into account the effect the beetles' secretions would have upon the dispenser, and had to choke back an immediate urge to vomit after tasting the material. She unsteadily returned to the group, and wisely said nothing about the encounter.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

Cordellia laid on the ground. Her sculpted and smooth face was sopping wet, bloodied, and partially crinkled with her occasional twitch. She stared blankly at the ceiling of the cairn. Her chest rose. Then sank. Finally, she blinked, and she pulled herself up meekly.

"I take it we won?" She looked around, normally sharp eyebrows askew by her fatigue "I am never going underwater again."

She fell once more onto her back, punctuating the statement.

"I need beeeeeeer. I need spirits to forget this renegade spirit. I need to drink so much whiskey I forget which schools I know and become invisible. I need so much Correllon damned wine that I turn a hellish red!" She rolled over on her belly and pushed herself up "But most importantly. I want new clothes," she picked up her dry hat from the corner and placed it on her ruined golden hair.

"Lets split the money we've actually found, lay low about what valuables we found in the cairn, and mount another expedition."
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

22. - Top - End - #322

Louise

"That sounds... like an absolutely splendid idea."
    Louise nodded her agreement, her body still slightly aquiver from the adrenaline rush. "Even with just the loose change we've found I think we should be able to get more supplies for another few days out here."

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

As the group once again exited the cairn, miraculously whole, Simone's thoughts turned to planning the brief time she'd have in town before their next adventure.

"It's about lunch time, shall we get some food? Real food, not hard tack." Her second attempt at a smile was more genuine though she was weary to the bone from the ordeal.

"I'd also like to see if I can find any information on the little girl's sister Hannah's whereabouts. Reynauld? Would you like to join me?" Afraid of seeming noninclusive she quickly amended herself.

"Anyone else who would like to join us would be welcome too, of course. Oh!" She suddenly remembered something else.

"I picked up those odd black shards we found early on into the cairn. They seemed like they might be valuable to somebody interested in magical oddities or unique materials. Any locals know anybody like that?"
    #Notallinfluencers

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"Real food sounds wonderful. As does a real bed," the Bard added. "And a bath. Oh, gods, a bath."
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

25. - Top - End - #325

Louise

"I will second each and every one of those, and also join you to find Hannah, if you'll have me Simone."
    Louise's thoughts drifted to the thought of food, glorious food. Of course, Diamond Lake wasn't exactly a culinary hotbed, but after three days of nothing but jerky and hardtack pretty much anything sounded good.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"I agree with Ms. Cordellia's assessment," said Reynauld as they approached town once more, "We should avoid selling anything noteworthy until we're sure the cairn is cleared out. It's obvious the place is dangerous; attracting other fools like ourselves could lead to unnecessary loss of life. Subjecting only ourselves to said horrors is more noble... and more profitable. Praise Pelor, eh? Heh heh."

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

A week ago, none of you would have considered Diamond Lake a refuge. The town is poison, filled with the kind of darkness that has claws. And yet, after a week in the wilderness enduring the daily threat of death, the town seems strangely beautiful as you crest the rise of Company Road. The sound of music and civilization rises in a hum, and your noses catch the faint hint of cook-fire on the air. The sanctified graves of the boneyard rising to the south are a stark contrast to the ignominious dead littering the Cairn, and for a moment the evils of Diamond Lake seem distant.

Then you pass Dourstone Mine, and the illusion vanishes like smoke.

They are lashing a man behind the palisade, punishment for some crime real or imagined. Dour guards atop wooden towers watch you pass with unfriendly eyes, alert for the kind of trouble outsiders can bring. Further down the road, you skirt the fortified manor of the Governor-Mayor, only to see a woman in mourning clothes emerge in a broken state. An older couple waiting outside move to embrace her, and they stagger further into town. Skirting the northern streets, you eventually hit the Vein, and turn south yourselves. The Twirling Giant is one of the first buildings you pass on the southbound stretch, its blue shingled roof shining above the dirty white of its walls. Two stories tall, it stands alongside the Midnight Salute, the two establishments providing every service the beleaguered members of the garrison might desire. However, there are some hours yet before most of the men will be off duty.

The tavern's door is impossible to miss, positioned as it is between the dancing legs of a painted giant in a yellow dress. Pushing inside, the common room is nearly deserted, the only customers a few old men in outdated uniforms at the bar and a trio of mercenary guards from the Able Carter Coaching Inn. The bartender gives each member of the party a long look, but seems satisfied that even in your bedraggled state you'll be able to pay for drinks. Reaching to his side, he rings a ship's bell hanging from the rafters, and after a few moments a young woman in a yellow blouse appears from the back rooms. Leading you to one of the tables situated around the tavern's freestanding circular stage, she leaves after taking your orders for food and drink. For now, the comforts of civilization are yours to enjoy.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

A pint of dark beer and a hot sausage pie... Reynauld was starting to feel like a whole human being again.

"A toast!" he proposed as he raised his mug, "To my valor, Rae's sword, and our victory together! Long may the sun shine! Ha ha ha ha ha!"

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone had only picked at her goat, the memory of Cordellia's torn-out throat was still fresh in her mind and made her stomach queasy. She put down the utensils she hadn't been using anyway and picked up her mug of light beer.

"I'll toast to that." She smiled warmly at Reynauld and Rae and clinked her glass against the others and took a small sip of the amber liquid.

"Cordellia, are you feeling better?" Her eyes slipped from the elf's newly intact throat to her wrist.

"Oh, may I carry little Alice's bracelet? I do hope we're able to find Hannah." The thought of going into a house of ill-repute bothered her far less than the thought of leaving the little girl's tragic death a mystery to her only surviving relative.
    #Notallinfluencers

30. - Top - End - #330

Louise

It had been several long and hard days, and the exhaustion and emotional turmoil of what had happened to them would have drained most people - and it had, to an extent, drained Louise. However, when her eyes caught the light beer and goat shank that she requested, life returned to them, and she happily dug in. For a moment, the travails of the outside world were lost in the rich, earthy, savory taste of goat - and even the vegetables, sad as they were from the drained and lifeless soil, offered a welcome respite.

One can only take so much hardtack and jerky, after all. As Reynauld offered a toast, she raised her own tankard, as well.

"To good days ahead!"

Draining her glass, Louise almost didn't mind that the local ale tasted as if it were merely a rental.

And then, Cordellia began to... experiment.

"Um, Cordellia? Are you sure drinking that's a good idea?"

Show
    Going with the assumption that Ty plans to do the 'Fireball', as mentioned on Skype.