New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dark's Age of Worms IC

Simone had reflexively clapped her hands to her ears as the stone slab fell to the ground. She released them as she watched Reynauld and Louise struggle with its weight.

"Here, I'll try like this." She sat herself on the ground in front of the slab and pushed it with her legs towards the pressure plate.

Spoiler: ooc roll
    Show
    (1d20+1)[12]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ettin in the Playground

Rae, seeing what was going on, and how badly it was progressing, swore in elven and moved to pitch in.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Strength Check: (1d20+3)[10]
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

Cordellia was quite surprised with herself. She hadn't done intensive physical labor like that in atleast a decade and the memory of it drew her away from the reality present to her. Looking down at everyone flailing to push the slab she quickly snapped back to reality and slammed her boot against the stone.

Spoiler: PUUUUUSH
    Show

(1d20)[18]
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ettin in the Playground

As the pressure plate beneath the slab rises, the assembled adventurers spring into action. Several members of the party strain to move the heavy stone block back into position, confident it will avert whatever has been triggered, but spend crucial seconds scrabbling against the ground with little to show for it. However, the effort is enough for Cordellia, situated closest to the pressure plate, to note a minuscule gap between floor and stone. Reaching down, and bracing her entire elven weight against the sculpted walls, she manages to lever the slab back into position with the aid of her companions. Companions who join her in breaking into a hot sweat as the pressure plate depresses once more. A tense moment of silence follows.

Then a roiling green mist spews from hidden valves in the mouths of the reliefs, blanketing in the room in a cloying miasma.

Show
    Everyone must attempt a DC 13 Fortitude Save against poison or suffer 1 Strength Damage.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone quickly covered her mouth and nose with an upraised arm to shield herself from the noxious fumes.

"Louise, is the passage clear?" She urged the others onward even as she could see Rae struggling in the miasma.

"Quickly!"
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ettin in the Playground

Pressing west along the newly-visible corridor, the party sees the miasma dissipate behind them. Ahead, curious carvings that seem to represent a stirring tempest cover the walls of this ten-foot-wide passage. At ten-foot intervals, small alcoves flank the passage, and each alcove contains an androgynous humanoid figure with cupped hands. The figures stand roughly seven feet tall. A faint wind seems to play within the passage, but it’s difficult to tell where it’s coming from.

You pass the first pair of alcoves without incident, but as you approach the second, Louise catches a strange play of shadows at the edge of torchlight. Before she can call out, a pair of slender beams lance out of the darkness. One green, one red, they strike Reynauld and Rae full in the chest, sending foul magics through their bodies. Then, intent on their prey, two creatures from nightmare float into view.

Spoiler: Creatures
    Show

Show
    Reynauld must make a DC 11 Will Save or be affected by Sleep. Rae must make a DC 11 Will Save or be affected by Cause Fear.

Louise and Corinne seize the initiative. Then the creatures. Then the remainder of the party.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"Oh!" Startled as she was, Corinne had the presence of mind to start singing an inspirational song in an attempt to aid her compatriots. Bow in hand, she belted out the beginning words to a rousing battle chant she'd picked up from an old soldier.

Show
    Inspire Courage!

The effect lasts for as long as the ally hears the bard sing and for 5 rounds thereafter. An affected ally receives a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

8. - Top - End - #458
    Firbolg in the Playground

Louise

Before Louise could open her mouth to reply, the eye-creatures attacked. Madly, Louise shrugged her pack off, readied her bow, and fired.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Louise draws her bow and fires at LS2, using another use of Cunning Insight in the process. If the attack hits, she will use another use to add Cunning Insight to her damage as well, as per standard practice.

Attack: (1d20+5)[6]
    Damage: (1d6+5)[11]

Unfortunately, her arrow simply flopped out of her bow and did not go anywhere near the eye-beasts.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2018-10-27 at 02:47 AM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ettin in the Playground

If their failure to subdue Reynauld and Rae causes the floating horrors any concern, they betray none of it. Instead, they silently ascend towards the ceiling twenty feet above the floor, writhing and twisting in the strange air currents of the hall. One sets its sights on Louise, seemingly drawn by the weapon in her hands, while the other continues to focus on Reynauld. The green beams cut through the gloom of the hall, striking their targets with unerring precision.

Show
    Reynauld and Louise must make DC 11 Will Saves or be affected by Sleep.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ettin in the Playground

”Well that’s unfortunate,” Cordellia chimed in as she saw Reynauld drop like a sack of iron potatoes “Simone, look after our righteous friend yeah? I have a hearth to make.” And with that she rushed forward beneath the two floating opponents, snapped her fingers, and let loose a corruscating gout of golden flames at the both of them.

Spoiler: Burning Hands!
    Show

(4d4)[9]
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone didn't need the elf's encouragement to see to her fallen brethren but saved her indignance for a more appropriate time.

"Reynauld!" Simone dropped besides his prone body and shook him frantically.

"Rise like Pelor's dawn, Reynauld!" She whispered her prayer under her breath as she gave the man's cheek an experimental tap with her hand. Seeing that her attempts were ineffectual thus far, she held her breath and grit her teeth and slapped her sleeping bodyguard as hard as she could.

"I'm sorry I'm sorry!" Horrified by the necessary act of violence she immediately rubbed his reddened cheek even as she continued praying that he'd awaken.
    #Notallinfluencers

12. - Top - End - #462
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld snapped back to reality; apparently, there went gravity.

Clearing his head, he remembered they were under attack by strange floating eyeballs, hovering out of his reach. He drew a javelin in one swift motion as he got back on his feet, hurling it at one of the horrible creatures.
    "Ya-AH!"

Show

Javelin attack! (1d20+5)[16]
    Damage: (1d6+4)[5]

13. - Top - End - #463

Louise

Gritting her teeth, Louise managed to resist the urge to fall asleep. Nocking an arrow once again, she fired.

Show
    Inspiration is currently at 3/5. If both rolls hit it will drop to 1/5, if the attack misses it will be 2/5.

Attack: (1d20+5)[14]
    Damage: (1d6+4)[8]

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

Halfway through the first verse, Corinne raised her shortbow, nocked an arrow, and let fly at the creature directly ahead of her.

Show
    Still Inspiring Courage.
    Shootin' at Is2: (1d20+3)[12]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[3]
    Confirm? (1d20+3)[21]
    Damage: (2d6+2)[9]

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ettin in the Playground

Rae spared only a glance for the slap, drawing and hurling her dagger at the floating monsters. "Get back down here!"

Show
    Attack: (1d20+6)[26]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[7]
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ettin in the Playground

Rae's dagger flies true, striking one of the abominations squarely in the fibrous tentacle binding its eyes together. The strips of nerve and tendon part like wheat before a scythe, neatly bisecting the horror and sending its separate eyeballs drifting lazily towards the ground. The remaining horror coils itself inot an agonizing knot at the sight, apparently incapable of vocalizing its rage as it unleashes a ray of crackling crimson towards the elven warblade. However, this is no surprise attack, and Rae's well honed instincts take hold, her legs propelling her away from the ray moments before it strikes.

Show
    LS2 dies! LS1 fires at Rae and misses. It maintains its position 20 feet above you - it is the party's turn.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld found himself tapping an armored boot along to the beat of Corinne's song. He produced a second javelin and sent it eyeball-ward.
    "Well done, Miss Rae! Victory is in our grasp!"

Show

Naldo-paldo throws another javelin.
    Attack: (1d20+5)[21]
    Damage: (1d6+4)[9]

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ettin in the Playground

Distracted by its onslaught against Rae, the remaining creature is unprepared for Reynauld's mighty throw. The hurled javelin arcs through the air in a flash, nailing one of the bobbing eyeballs to the ceiling. A moment passes, until with a whisper of steel against stone the javelin's weight drags it and its victim back to the ground. A foul smelling ichor begins to spread from the twitching strands of unnatural flesh, but no further threats emerge.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well done!" Simone congratulated the others on their victory with a sigh of relief.

"Is everyone alright? If so, we should keep moving. It would be rude to keep all the other abominations waiting."
    #Notallinfluencers

20. - Top - End - #470

Louise

Louise nodded.

"I am well, at present, and ready to move on."

Pending everyone else answering in the affirmative, Louise once again took point, tapping along the floor with her 10-foot pole as she searched for traps. She continued in this manner until she reached the center chamber, at which point she stopped to take a long look around.

Show
    Taking 10 as I go along the corridor on Search for a total of 19 to look for traps. Then, when I get to the entrance to the center chamber, I am going to roll Spot.

Spot: (1d20+7)[20]
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2018-11-02 at 12:13 AM.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ettin in the Playground

Proceeding forward, Louise passes two more pairs of alcoves occupied by supplicating humanoid statues. The source of the gentle wind filling the corridor remains unclear, and the factotum uncovers no further traps, but as she reaches the final pair of statues she is enveloped by a sudden chill. Proceeding towards the threshold of the central chamber, Louise is confronted by a pillar of dull gray stone rising from floor to ceiling, with halls extending to the north and south. However, the route to the northern archway is obstructed by a sprawling mass of dun-colored mold, its wet exterior shuddering gently in the breeze.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

Following behind Louise, Corinne took a look at the strange brownish mold and held out a hand, "Wait! Whatever you do, do not use fire against that. It's a Brown Mold. And don't stand close. Fire feeds it. Cold kills it."

23. - Top - End - #473

Louise

Louise gulped audibly at Corinne's warning.

"Point taken. I am going to run to the opposite end of the corner. Have fun."

Having said this, she promptly did so.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ettin in the Playground

Delicately removing her glove, Cordellia gave the moss a suspicious eye, and snapped her gaze to Louise as if for confirmation on what Corrine said. Lip turned up slightly in disgust, she rolled her eyes, and displaced her perfectly arched bundle of golden hair in the process.

”My particularity in evocation is exuding heat not receiving it but I’ll see what wonderful things I can do.”

She sasheyed her hip from right then to left, struck a pose, and snapped her right finger overhead. As her violet mage armor twinkled over her entire body she coyly bent over, held her hand to her face, and with puckered lips released a tight breath of air. It curled and twisted in the palm of her hand, twinkling softly with violet ice, and then coalesced into a beam that rocketed off from the center of her palm along the curve of her middle finger. The air shifted slightly and rustled her pointed hat in the process; though she expertly tipped it back as she stood back to watch the result.

Spoiler: SPELLZ
    Show

FROST BEAM:(1d20)[14]

Also Mage Armor is up for 2 hours.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ettin in the Playground

The beam of frost flies true, striking the center of the mossy heap. Immediately, the brown expanse begins to harden and crack around the point of impact, a brittle shell that quickly engulfs the entire throbbing mass. In moments, a growth decades old is reduced to brittle dust. Errant flakes begin to drift into the air, borne aloft by the stirring breeze, harmless save for the memory of danger. The supernal chill of the room abates, and the rooms beyond lie open to exploration.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"Excellent work, ladies!" Reynauld said with enthusiasm. "I doubt anything living is lurking nearby, thanks to the danger provided by that mold. But that doesn't discount lurking undead or other such creatures! I will continue my vigil."

The sunroof's light guiding his way, Reynauld made to peer into the rooms in this desolate corner of the dungeon.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ettin in the Playground

Turning south to circle around to the room blocked by the mold, Reynauld's sunrod illuminates an unseen niche in the central pillar. The five-foot deep groove holds a waist-high block of stone that seems somehow distinct from the greater pillar. Directly south of the groove, an open archway reveals a wide chamber that must once have been the living quarters of an important figure. A large stone slab that suggests the shape of a bed rests against the east wall, under a huge bas-relief of a robust, long-nosed bald humanoid figure with outstretched hands. The figure wears a lovingly sculpted wind-tossed robe that gives him the appearance of a triumphant god. A glyph that looks like a stylized arrow marks an amulet worn around the figure’s neck. Wardrobes and dressers seemingly carved from the stone walls look to have been ransacked a long time ago.

Leaving the bedchamber behind, Reynauld's path reveals a door in the middle of the western wall. The north side of the pillar, though surrounded by dead mold, holds a groove similar to the one to the south. However, rather than a block of raw stone, the space appears to hold a basin of some kind, though knowing for sure is impossible while it is coated in brown decay. Before he can investigate further, however, a light from the north catches the crusader's eye.

The ceiling of this large chamber glows with what looks like natural sunlight, illuminating a series of worktables, vises, spinning wheels, and blocks of unfinished marble that identify the room as a sculptor’s workshop. A huge unfinished statue of an imposing bare-chested warrior wielding a staff-like rod in its left hand dominates the eastern wall. The hairless figure looks similar to the bas-relief on the sarcophagus upstairs, but is clearly meant to be a different person. A short red metal pedestal against the western wall displays what appears to be a jet-black stone egg the size of a small boulder. A gold glyph—an equilateral triangle with short hash marks through each leg—marks the face of the egg.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

Corinne stepped carefully around the pillar, peering at the displays and artwork. Her eye was drawn to the mold-encrusted basin, and her fingers itched to clean away the grime. "Does anyone mind if I just...clean this up a bit?"

Show
    If there are no objections, Corinne will cast Prestidigitation and clean away all the mold residue. And any grime or dirt and such covering up anything we might need a better look at in the area as we go.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ettin in the Playground

With a few whispered words, Corinne shunts the accumulated grime and dead mold from the northern alcove. Beneath is a surprisingly intact basin identical to the one found in the beetle lair, save that the magic of the font appears undamaged. The basin is filled to the brim with a dull orange sludge - despite its vile appearance, the smell cutting through the ozone of Corinne's spell is not dissimilar to beef gravy.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

30. - Top - End - #480

Louise

Louise followed along with Reynauld, and as they came to the central piller, Louise looked at the stone block as he indicated it. Carefully, she set about examining it, trying to discern if it was some kind of trap.

Show
    If a Search roll is appropriate, I will take 20 for 29. If an INT roll is more appropriate, (1d20+4)[14]