New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Dark's Age of Worms IC

Without hesitation, Reynauld was at Cordellia's side, offering her his arm. His face was a mask of concern within his dented helm.

"Stay strong, Miss Cordellia. We should have my lady Simone look at the wound."
    He gave the wizard a smile.
    "Quite a change of pace from a candlelit study, eh?"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

”Oh... oh my...” She muttered to herself as Reynauld instantly took her plight seriously. Her face grew rigid, her cheeks blushed, and she slowly swept her eyes up to look through his helm. Her hair had fallen to obscure half her face once more but at that point she had regained control of her faculties and subdued most of her blushing. Taking his arm she gingerly leaned against him and used her cane as support.

“Yes dear Reynauld, nothing like my study sessions... at... all. Wow you’re firm.” She squeezed his forearm lightly “But with you here I’m sure it will be a wonderful experience. Please, lets not waste your Companion’s gifts just yet, I’m certain you will suffice until the situation expectantly deteriorates.”

”Lets try going up! Perhaps fortune will follow an upward curve in turn.”
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2018-05-11 at 03:55 PM.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone spared Cordellia a cursory glance at Reynauld's urging.

"What wound? You already healed her and I'm afraid my repertoire lacks a cure for overdramatics." She bent over and picked up one of the oddly cool black stones.

"It seems to me that it would be a great waste of resources to build something so elaborate for transportation unless you were planning to transport a great number of people, or things."
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2018-05-11 at 04:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

As the excitement of their first battle fades, Reynauld and Cordellia advance westward. The light from Reynauld's sunrod slowly reveals a wide dais atop three short steps, the surrounding walls still glittering with the faded pigments of a mural of some kind. The angle of the fresco is strange at first, but ascending the dais brings the fullness of the effect to life. From a vantage point at the center of the dais, the wall painting makes it look like you stand within a massive room with seven short hallways radiating outward from a central point. A chain dangles from the ceiling at the end of each hallway, and each chain bears a gleaming colored lantern. Clockwise, the colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-05-11 at 07:48 PM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

Louise

Called forward by Cordellia, Louise took a moment to stand atop the dais and take in the fresco.

"It's beautiful. But as to whether or not it's hiding any secrets, we shall see."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Search: (1d20+8)[9]
    Everything dissolves into blue.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld furrowed his eyebrows at Simone's reaction to Cordellia, but the elf had already declined expending further healing resources, so he let it go.

As the group examined the fresco, the crusader looked back over his shoulder at the shadows.
    "There was a green glow... could it be the green lantern depicted here?"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

As the others wandered off before she was ready, Simone cast Light and proceeded to pick up all of the small shards and put them in her backpack for later. By the small amount left, she guessed that whoever had broken the structure in the first place had made off with the lion's share. Once they had all been gathered up and tucked safely away, she stood and followed after the others. She stepped onto the dais just as Reynauld suggested the follow after the green light he had seen.

"That's as good a lead as any, Reynauld." She studied the room and the fresco carefully, wondering how it had managed to remain so vibrant. Some sort of preservation spell? She shook her head, it was no use trying to guess, whatever it had been was beyond her.
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Proceeding north from the frescoed alcove, the party is confronted by a draped curtain of cobwebs covering the entire twenty-foot corridor. They are so thick that little light can penetrate, only enough to discern a stairway leading down and the flickering of green light to the north. As Reynauld pulls away cobwebs by the handful, you are perhaps horrified to see a small torrent of minuscule spiders fleeing his hands, retreating deeper into the comforting darkness. After a concerted effort, enough of the cobwebs have been destroyed to clearly reveal a passage deeper into the cairn.

The wide stairway descends into an immense domed chamber. Seven short tunnels branch from the room in all directions, extending some thirty feet before ending in rounded walls. At the terminus of each passage, a thick chain dangles from an unseen high ceiling. Five of the chains bear colorful lanterns, but two hold nothing at all. Opposite the entry stairs, a bright green lantern containing what looks like a torch casts a weird, murky light about the room. Countless chips of glass and shiny metal inset into the chamber’s domed ceiling reflect this light, giving the impression of starlight and falling snow. The dome starts about ten feet off the ground and reaches an apex about thirty feet over the center of the room.

Below the dome’s peak, a long dais holds what appears to be a marble sarcophagus. A milky white bas-relief figure, perhaps of a human, rests passively upon the sarcophagus lid. Unlike the rest of the tomb, this room is completely silent.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld held his sunrod aloft, in an attempt to get as much light as possible into the immense chamber. He found himself in awe of the architectural marvel around them. Slowly, he made a circuit of all the hallways, before returning to the sarcophagus in the center.
    "We're missing the red and indigo lanterns," he said, "Perhaps grave robbers got here before us? But why wouldn't they take all the lanterns? For that matter, who put that torch in the green lantern? How is it still burning?"
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2018-05-12 at 01:21 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70

Louise

"This is all guesswork, but if it was only two lanterns, I don't think it was graverobbers. They'd have just stripped the whole thing. No idea what could have lit the torch - perhaps one of the more magically inclined would care to analyze it, perhaps? See if there is any effect on it?"

Louise inched toward the sacophagus.

"What interests me more, personally, is this Sarcophagus. Perhaps there is something inside that we need? It seems a touch soon in the complex to be burying someone; it usually makes more sense to put them further inside."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Louise will check the sarcophagus for traps.

Search: (1d20+8)[20]

If she finds none, she will enlist the help of someone strong to try and open it.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Approaching the sarcophagus, Reynauld and Louise behold a figure carved from white marble. Though human at a glance, it is strangely androgynous, and spans more than seven feet from head to toe. Wreathed in flowing robes of ancient style, its arms lay at its sides, the left hand curled into a fist, the right laying palm up with its fingers unfurled. All save the index finger, which appears to have been broken off. The plinth the sarcophagus rests upon is carved in the shape of a stylized arrow, its point emerging beneath the head of the carving and pointed towards the orange lantern's tunnel. Around the carving's neck is draped an amulet bearing another of the strange, nearly Auran symbols, this one distinct from the mark upon the traveling mirror.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Louise detects no traps upon the sarcophagus.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

”Seems to be another name of some sort. Actually I think I remember Allustan mentioning something about this. It’s Vaati, believed to be the archaic written form of Auran, and what was the reward for remembering that bit of trivia from my master? If you guessed more bits of trivia then you’re right!” Cordellia chirped as she leaned against Reynauld. Standing her glowing cane up, Cordellia loosened her grip on Reynauld, and whispered sweet enchanting syllables to the universe before striking a pose. Her violet eyes glowed more powerfully for a brief second before they simmered down to her regular levels of arcane grandeur. Casting her eyes on the coffin she slowly began to sweep her head around causing long luscious locks to playfully bounce.

Show

I cast DETECT MAGIC!
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Casting her eyes around the chamber, Cordellia detects two faint magic auras. One is emanating from the sarcophagus, the other from the green lantern.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

”Hmmm. I’d be careful, the sarcophagus and the green lantern are both radiating magic. Not sure what kind though.”
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

After the sarcophagus had been scrutinized both magically and mundanely, Reynauld stepped forward.
    "Everyone, step back. If we wish to see what's inside this container, I'd rather risk my own person than anyone else's."

Once everyone else was well away from the sarcophagus, Reynauld found the lid's seem and attempted to pry it open with a surge of strength.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Shifting the top of the sarcophagus, Reynauld reveals the interior with a modicum of effort. He has enough time to take in the empty compartment of stone within before being engulfed in flames.

Spoiler: Trap
    Show
    Reynauld triggers the trap.

Fire Damage: (1d4)[2]

Reflex for half.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld shielded himself with his arm, avoiding the worst of the gout of flame. He patted out his tabard and gauntlets before turning to the others with a shrug.
    "A foul trick! There seems to be nothing inside... *cough* *cough* I am fine, all things considered."

18. - Top - End - #78

Louise

Louise, for her part, looked rather ashamed.

"I'm so sorry... I'm not sure how that escaped my notice. Are you alright?"

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld smiled at Louise as he wiped a bit of soot off his face.
    "Nonsense! It was a cunningly hidden trap. It'll take more than a little fire to burn a crusader of the Sun Father! The dawn always breaks on a new day. Now, Cordellia, you wished to try and move this thing? Which direction would you have it turn?"

Show

Reynauld can take 10 on a STR check for a 13; if someone else helped that goes up to a 15 with aids.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Rae felt bad about Reynauld getting burned, too. She was starting to like the Crusader, all things considered, so she quickly piped up. "Do you want aid? I'm pretty good at helping people move."
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Shaking off any uncertainty born of the trapped sarcophagus, the party comes together in an attempt to move the very plinth it rested upon. Arranging themselves on the left side of the arrow, the party pushes as one, and a soft click resounds from below them. The arrow-shaped dais slides from its hidden catch, rotating smoothly clockwise until it points towards the hall of the yellow lantern. Once again, the soft click, and the plinth comes to rest. A great rumbling from below the chamber can be heard as the circular stone at the end of the tunnel rises eight feet into the air, pushed up by a 5-foot-diameter metal cylinder that seems to arise from the ground itself. Seconds after it comes to a rest, two thin doors slide into the sides of the cylinder, revealing a small empty chamber.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

"That is so cool." Rae whispers in elven, and then moves to investigate.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Gasping, Cordellia covered her mouth with one hand, and her eyes went wide as she rapidly rushed to Reynauld’s side ”Oh you poor thing! Wounded in my stead, how noble, how brave! If only SOMEONE had done a better job... Nevertheless, what’s done is done I supose. The lantern is magical, this sarcophagus is magical, and we’ve seen a lot of correlation with green so logically lets point it at the green lantern.”
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Inching towards the raised cylinder, Rae quickly discerns that the space within is sufficient for a single occupant. The doors are so cunningly wrought as to be nigh-indistinguishable from the walls they'd slid into, but where the device has come from remains a mystery. The sole clue is the soft sound of whistling wind, coming as though from a great distance.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-05-13 at 12:21 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ah... you're going to want me to test this thing, aren't you?" The warblade inquired of no one in particular. She was a little nervous - whoever designed this place was clearly fond of traps - but she couldn't very well say no after watching Reynauld get lightly seared to lock the flavor in. She hopped into the compartment. "Alright, I want a Nyrondian funeral! Light me up!"

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Stepping into the cylinder, Rae has enough time to turn and look back towards her companions before the doors slam shut. From inside, there is a slight rumble, and from the outside the rest of the party watches as the cylinder withdraws back into the floor. As quickly as it had risen, the cylinder disappears, its stone cap coming flush with the rest of the floor. Within the cylinder, however, Rae feels herself descending for perhaps half a minute before the machine comes to a stop. The doors slide open, revealing an entirely new chamber.

The walls here are covered in bas-relief images similar to the slender figure upon the sarcophagus lid in the chamber above. Nearly a dozen androgynous, hairless humanoids stand in poses of deference, almost as if they are paying homage to the viewer. Many extend their hands in adoration, their faces awash in adulation. Several of the statues lack hands, arms, heads, or anything else easily hacked off by long absent tomb robbers.

About fifteen feet to the south, a dark passage extends from an elaborately carved arch. Only a little of this hallway is visible, however, as a large stone block obscures most of the passage.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld extended a hand as Rae entered the strange chamber.
    "Now wait just a moment-"

But before anyone could react, the warblade had disappeared! Reynauld went to the stone circle that marked where the contraption had appeared, kneeling near it and placing a hand on the ground near the seam.
    "I did not mean to establish a dangerous precedent such as this... What should we do?"

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Tactically speaking, splitting up was supposedly suicide. That's what her uncle had always said, anyway. Then again, he also favored dwarven whiskey, so what did he know? Either way, Rae was not going to tell her companions that she fled from an uninhabited room with no visible hazards. The elf proceeded to look for a way past the block, though she at least attempted a modicum of stealth.

Show
    Hide: (1d20+4)[5]
    Move Silently: (1d20+4)[15]
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2018-05-13 at 03:25 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Undeterred by her sudden shift in circumstances, Rae emerged from the magical elevator to explore the room beyond. She makes note of several things about the stone slab blocking the passage, but also notices a stone button alongside the wall where the elevator emerged. The purpose of the button becomes all to clear as the doors to the elevator close, and the cylinder rises again.

On the floor above, there is a repeat of the rumble that heralded the elevator's initial arrival, and the cylinder of metal rises up near where Reynauld is kneeling. The doors open, revealing an empty chamber, and no sign of Rae.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

As alarmed as Reynauld was at Rae's sudden disappearance, she joined him at the elevator's entrance. As it returned to them without Rae, her concern multiplied.

"Rae! Can you hear me, are you there?" She shouted at the stone.

"Splitting up was a bad idea. Let's send it back for her." She urged the others, half-tempted to hop in it herself.
    #Notallinfluencers