New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Dark's Age of Worms IC

Alarmed to see the cylinder was now empty, Reynauld turned to Simone and the rest of his companions.
    "Perhaps it works on a timer, and Rae is stuck down there. I'll try to find her, and bring her back up if I can."

The crusader stepped into the contraption, hoping that the cylinder served a benign purpose.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Once again, the doors slam shut as soon as Reynauld is comfortably inside, lowering back into the floor. Reynauld enjoys a smooth descent for perhaps half a minute before the chamber comes to a gentle stop, and the doors slide open. He beholds a small room covered in intricate carvings, but they are of little concern compared to the sight or Rae, rope in hand, trying futilely to topple an enormous stone slab that seems to be blocking the way forward.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Simultaneously relieved and alarmed, Reynauld emerges from the tube and places a hand on the elf's shoulder.
    "Rae! What are you doing? We were all worried something had happened to you! Please, let's return to the others. This is folly."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone gasped as her bodyguard too, disappeared as she was dithering.

"I have faith in Reynauld," She said to the others, though admittedly mostly to comfort herself.

"He'll bring Rae back," She almost said I'm sure of it, but instead she grasped her symbol of Pelor.

"I'll pray on it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Happy Reynauld had made it down here, and that she wasn't stuck, Rae grinned brightly at the crusader. "Folly? Nah, I'll be out from under it when it falls, I just need a bit more muscle."
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Firbolg in the Playground

Louise

Back up above, Louise turned to Simone as she prayed.

"Well, the elevator didn't take TOO long to come back, so... hopefully they haven't gotten far enough to get into any real trouble."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2018-05-13 at 04:58 PM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld frowned. Rae was an elf, no doubt several decades his senior, so why did it feel like he was speaking to a child?
    "I would be happy to help you... pull down this huge stone slab, if that's the most sensible thing to do. We should get someone like Louise down here to make sure it isn't a trap. I take it this button sent the elevator back up? I'm going to try and see if it goes up once I step inside it again, but if not, would you be so kind as to press the button?"

Fortunately, the elevator sent Reynauld back up once he stepped inside. As the doors were closing, the crusader gave one last warning to Rae.
    "Wait for reinforcements! Don't do anything foolish!"

Once he was back topside, the crusader stepped out of the contraption, a look of consternation on his scarred face.
    "Rae is fine. The elevator deposits one in a small chamber. Rae has took it upon herself to try and topple a large piece of masonry for some reason. Lady Louise, perhaps you should head down and make sure she's not about to get herself killed in the process?"

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"So..." Corinne dug her toe into a pile of dust, scattering it. "How long do we wait before sending someone else down?"
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

9. - Top - End - #99

Louise

"I would recommend 5 minutes at maximum. We don't want to be too panicked, but we don't just want to let too much time pass either, if something truly is happening."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2018-05-14 at 08:33 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"There is a button at the bottom that sends the elevator back up, and it only takes a minute or so to move. Louise, I must implore you to head down there. Rae's enthusiasm could very well spell her misfortune."

11. - Top - End - #101

Louise

"...this is against my better judgement, but very well."

Louise then approached and entered the elevator.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Once again the elevator descends, carry Louise and her torch down to the crypt's inner chambers. As promised, she sees Rae as soon as the doors open, standing in a small room featuring intricate carvings and an intractable stone block.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Standing amidst the others on the higher floor, Cordellia leaned more gingerly on her cane as she used it as an impromptu pulpit, and glanced up at the descending elevator as it steadily worked its way out of sight "Looking at Rae's decision now, you know..." She glanced around the room with a single revealed eye "I'm reminded something of a book I read several decades ago. Something about natural and unnatural forces thinning herds. Passing on of ideas. Hard to recall it all right now, but..." She shrugs and unscrews her flask before sipping away at it inbetween flipping pages.

"What else is to be expected of a Wood Elf." She says in Sylvan before flourishing her flask holding hand.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"Somebody had to be the scout. Do you everyone in such low esteem? I should be cautious of relying on you if I got into trouble." The Bard was annoyed at the mage's insinuation about Rae, and shot her a disapproving look.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2018-05-15 at 06:45 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105

Louise

Louise sighed with relief that nothing foul had befallen Rae, and walked over.

"Ah, Rae. Reynauld has filled the rest of us in. Before you go about toppling that block, would you mind if I took a look at it real quick?"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Assuming she says yes, Louise will take 20 (something I forgot you could do) on Search for a 28 to see if there's anything unusual about the block.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

”Not everyone. Just people who voluntarily jump down holes without looking or asking anyone. This is a grave site after all.” She took another swig of her whiskey.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld stood near the elevator, impatiently tapping a boot. He spoke after Cordellia and Corinne's exchange.
    "I fear this is in part my fault. Perhaps Rae saw me opening that sarcophagus and felt she had to one-up me. I had no intention of starting a competition. I only did what I did because I knew there was aid close at hand."
    He gave Simone a meaningful look.
    "But a scout is of no use if they're not alive to report back to their unit. *sigh* ...But I'm wasting words... words meant for Rae's ears, if she had the wisdom to hear them. I wish there was a better way of communicating with the 'away team,' as it were. As soon as this contraption pops up again I'm going down there to help."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Moving towards the stone block to get a better look, Louise is perhaps surprised by the sound of the cylinder doors closing and the apparatus rising up yet again. Over the course of two minutes, she examines every inch of the stone slab, finding little of interest in its rocky surface. Below, however, is a different matter. Probing the floor with her fingers, Louise discerns that the block is in fact resting atop a pressure plate. A pressure plate set to trigger should weight be removed from its surface.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

19. - Top - End - #109

Louise

"Oh. Well, this is a find. Rae, I highly advise that you stop what you're doing. This block is holding down a pressure plate, and I'd rather not set it off without knowing what it does."

Louise then tried to take a quick look around the room, hoping to see something of note.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Since the room is rather large, I'm just going to roll once.

Search: (1d20+8)[13]

After a few moments of searching, Louise turned back to Rae.

"Yeah, I don't know where it'd come from, but I'm fairly certain this is a trap. Let's head back up."

Louise then headed back to the elevator and headed up.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2018-05-15 at 11:28 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone's eyes popped open at the safe return of Reynauld.

"She is a fiesty spirit, I would not presume to blame yourself for her impetuousness." She smiled softly to ease the man's burden.

"Perhaps we should try rotating the sarcophagus further? Once the others return safely, of course."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Once everyone had returned from the elevator back to the central nexus, Reynauld rubbed a finger under his chin in thought.
    "So we have a trapped, blocked corridor. Well, there are several other directions to point this contraption. The green lantern is lit; perhaps that signifies something important?"

Several other in the group seemed agreeable to moving the sarcophagus to point towards the green lantern, so the crusader went about pushing the pedestal in that direction.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Once again, the group's strength proves more than a match for the sarcophagus mechanism. Sliding free with a faint click, it slides across the floor towards the green lantern. As it does so, the cylinder that waits with open doors in the yellow hallway recedes back into the floor. Whatever mechanism controls the strange elevators, it apparently is tied to the direction the sarcophagus points.

The sarcophagus comes to rest with another gentle click, once more followed by a rumbling of stone. Unlike the yellow corridor, however, this rumbling grows increasingly discordant, a cacophonous creaking of stone against stone reverberating out from below the green lantern.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Would you care to do something immediately as this happens, or do you want to let it play out?

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"What fresh devilry is this? Hold fast!"

Reynauld moved to the front of the group, maul in hand, putting himself closer to whatever danger might be brewing.

24. - Top - End - #114

Louise

Louise held fast, but kept her stance in a wide position, ready to leap into action if something happened.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"Oh, blast." Corinne drew her bow and loosely nocked an arrow in preparation for...whatever-it-was that was soon to be upon them.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Rae, still not sure why everyone was upset at her for trying the potential death machine first, also readied herself for whatever came next.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Tense seconds pass as the rumbling grows louder and increasingly violent, until something finally gives way. There is a resounding crack from the far end of the tunnel, and a circular section of the floor beneath the green lantern falls away. There is a crash, as if from a great distance, and then silence. Cordellia breathes a sigh of relief, but before the rest of the group can follow suit they hear the sound of something scuttling in the darkness. The sound begins to echo, as though thousands of tiny legs were scratching against naked stone, but even its maddening cadence is poor warning for what follows. There is a flash movement in the hole, before a geyser of beetles bursts free from the shaft. The floor comes alive with their undulations, a sickly yellow liquid oozing from their trail. They surge towards the bulwark of Reynauld and Rae, and in their wake the shadow of massive talons emerges from the hole.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Corinne, Reynauld, and Cordellia seize the initiative. Then bad things, then Simone, Rae, and Louise. Then more bad at the end of the order.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-05-18 at 12:05 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

The earth belched forth horrors, and for a moment Reynaul faltered. Then Corinne began singing; her voice so pure, so beautiful, that it filled the crusader's heart with courage and determination. He strode forth, removing a small ceramic flask from his belt, etched with a stylized sunburst.

"Taste cleansing fire, fiends!" he yelled as he lobbed the alchemist's fire towards the carpet of beetles, hoping to catch the other creature in the blast.

Show

Reyrey will chuck a flask of alchemists fire at the beetles, hitting their northern square if possible to catch the other guy in the splash zone.
    Ranged touch attack (+1 inspire courage, -2 range increment): (1d20+2)[17]
    Fire damage: (1d6+1)[3] x1.5 if it hits, I believe against swarms.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

Corinne took one look at the large mass of beetles, and fought down a stab of fear in her belly. Straightening her shoulders, she started to sing,

"Beetle dudes! Beetle dudes!
    Attacking travelers is kinda rude!
    Make your lair in another place,
    Or Reynauld will stab you in the face!
    Look out! Here he comes, beetle dudes!"

Show
    Inspire Courage! An affected ally receives a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Taking a long drink from her flask, Cordellia’s eyes went wide as beetles swarmed out of the ground, and nearly sputtered her drink as she moved into position. Running along, cane in hand, she clenched her free fist, drew a circle in the air before her, and incanted a melodic sylvan stanza. A blazing circle appeared where her hand had outline and she snapped her outstretched hand twice. Two orbs of fire streaked towards the encroaching swarm.

”Atleast this death will be convenient. Already in a grave, dressed my best, and terrible music on hand.”

Spoiler: Lesser Fire Orb!
    Show

Attack:(1d20+5)[12]
    Damage:(1d8)[4]

Attack:(1d20+5)[22]
    Damage:(1d8)[4]
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█