New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dark's Age of Worms IC

Corinne's song echoes from the domed chamber, filling the assembled combatants with hope. It is a hope that sends Reynauld's vial of alchemist's fire to strike true, though it is of less help to Cordellia. The swarm writhes in the fire that suddenly surrounds it, the movement of the thousand insects suddenly erratic and violent. It is not the beetles that surge forward, however, but the thing that followed them up the shaft. Six sharp legs sprout from a central body that is little more than a disgusting eye, which becomes a blur of motion as it moves to attack Reynauld. One razor-sharp limb streaks out, and before Reynauld can counter it has pierced the armor around his shoulder.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Reynauld takes 6 damage.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Louise

Taken aback by the sudden appearance of the swarm and beetles, Louise could do little more than gasp as the eyeball-with-legs leapt forward and into combat. Instinctively realizing that a massive swarm of beetles probably wouldn't be harmed by a single arrow, she focused her arrow on that, trying as best she could to get a bead on it in the melee.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Louise uses a point of Inspiration to add her INT bonus to her attack, which is subsequently cancelled out by the penalty for firing into melee. She will add another point to add her INT to damage only if her attack hits.

Attack: (1d20+4)[14] should be a 10​, sorry.
    Damage: (1d6+4)[8]
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2018-05-18 at 08:09 AM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

A healing warmth suddenly infused Reynauld as Simone rushed forward and healed the man with magic and faith.

CLW on Reynauld(+1 caster level for healing spells.)
    (1d8+2)[6]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Rae did not want to jump right in front of the swarm, but she also didn't want to stand back and watch her allies die, either. Shooting past her colleagues with a shout of "you owe me!" in elven, she got around behind the stabby eyeball and took a swing of her own.

Show
    Swift Action: Assume Punishing Stance
    Move: Move 30'
    Standard: Power Attack!

Attack: (1d20+4)[24]
    Damage: (3d6+7)[15]
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Rae's blade strikes true, cleaving one of the horrible creature's bladed limbs from its body. It totters uncertainly, but it is enough to throw Louise's shot wide. The scent of blood seems to embolden the beetles, which surge forward in a devouring line atop Rae, Reynauld, and Simone. Their bodies suddenly awash with the tiny biting fiends, it was a struggle to remain aware of the fight!

Show
    Reynauld, Rae, and Simone take 2 damage from the swarm. They take an additional 3 acid damage, but can attempt a DC 11 Fort save for half of the acid. Those three must also make a second DC 11 Fort save or become Nauseated for one round.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld briefly registered a sense of pain as the skittering horror pierced his pauldron, but soon a familiar sensation soothed him: the life-giving energy of Pelor, timely delivered by Simone. A moment later, and the carpet of beetles was upon them!

Though his wounds continued to mount, Reynauld put the pain aside, letting it build into a seething ember of righteous anger. He swung his maul at the cycloptic horror before dashing out of the beetle swarm, seeing the wizard begin a fiery incantation.

His maul struck home, crumpling the monster like a wad of twine. So inspirational was the strike, that it caused Corinne to forget the pain of her wolf bite, and it gave Reynauld further resolve to fight on!

Show

Crusader's Strike on ya boi, then 5 ft. stepping away. If it connects, he'll heal Corinne 2 hp and the rest will go to himself.

Attack: (1d20+6)[19]
    Damage: (1d10+6)[14]
    Healing: (1d6+1)[2]
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2018-05-18 at 02:47 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Reynauld's mighty blow crushes the dreadful aberration against the wall, spattering the assembled combatants with its viscous orange blood. Cordellia prepares an incantation to incinerate the beetles, but before she does, the swarm breaks apart, hundreds of beetles falling charred to the ground as the last flames of Reynauld's alchemical fire gutter out. The echoes of battle fade, leaving the party standing in a gore-streaked corridor with a mysterious hole at its terminus.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well, that was exciting." Cordellia stated as she brushed aside some charred beetles from the ground with a pointed heel "Shall we see where this hole leads to? Or are you all quite done for the day?"
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld tisked at the sight of his armor: the acid had stained, discolored, and pitted it in places. Nevertheless, he beamed.
    "That is why I prefer to always have a flask of alchemist's fire on me. Pelor in a can, I call it. Ha! Of course, we're yet to find any treasure with which to acquire a new flask...
    But indeed, Ms. Cordellia, that swarm did something of a number on us. I am not sure how much Simone can implore the Shining One for aid this day, but it would be prudent not to venture too far in the absence of healing magic. Still, we can at least look around this chamber a bit more."

The crusader carefully moved closer to the hole, glancing down into the depths before examining the torch in the green lantern.
    "Say, lady Louise, do you think this lantern is trapped? I'm curious about this torch here. Is it magic?"

10. - Top - End - #130

Louise

Grateful that they had been able to dispatch the swarm without too much trouble, but concerned at how much damage Reynauld had taken (as well as her continuing bad luck with aiming), Louise broke from her thoughts and hopped down from the sarcophagus where she'd taken up residence.

"Well, I can certainly do my best to try and find out. Let me examine it."

Afte examining it carefully for a few minutes, and conferring briefly with Cordellia, Louise answered.

"It is magic, no doubt, but to properly identify its properties we would need to use the actual Identify spell - and unfortunately, replicating magic is as of yet beyond my abilities. I can tell you that it is an absolutely stunning bit of green metal and crystal, and would probably go for about 50 gold pieces. There are no traps attached to it that I can spot."

Opening the latch on the lantern, Louise then took a look further inside.

"The torch making the light is also a bit odd. Very little smoke - like a Continual Flame spell. Must be an Everburning Torch."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2018-05-18 at 07:57 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

"It may as well have been, since it saved us." Amused by Reynauld's "Pelor in a can" quip, Simone was still smiling when she took Rae's hand and used the last of her healing magic to suffuse the elf's wounds with a soothing energy.

(1d8+2)[7]
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2018-05-18 at 08:23 PM.
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld removed the overburning torch, looking at it with interest.
    "So someone was here before us. But this torch always burns... it could have been here a long time indeed.
    Well, lady Louise, if you would care to join me, why don't we examine each of these lantern corridors in turn? It might help give us an idea of where to go next. I know it was a somewhat short-lived adventure today, but in the absence of healing spells we probably shouldn't risk going much deeper."

Show

Reynauld suggests we make a cursory sweep of the lantern chamber, take 10 on Search, Listen, Spot etc. in each nook, then probably think about either heading back to town or camping.

13. - Top - End - #133

Louise

"That sounds like a splendid idea."

Show
    Louise will take the actions described above in CTP's post.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Making a circuit of the seven hallways, Reynauld and Louise note several similarities. Each tunnel extends for thirty feet with a ten foot ceiling, only to end in a forty foot tall cylindrical shaft at the end. Heavy chains hang down from these domed towers to support their lanterns, the ceilings glinting with the same array of metal and crystal that transformed the central dome into a kaleidoscope of light.

As previously surmised, the red and indigo lanterns are missing from their chains. The rest bear close similarities to the green lantern, save the difference in hue in their crystal and metal. They are likely worth the same amount, and they also open onto empty sconces for a light source. There is but one thing that breaks the uniformity of the chamber, and that is the blue corridor. With her keen eye and the aid of Reynauld’s sunrod, Louise discerns that the ceiling of the blue lantern chamber extends an additional ten feet, and appears to have a doorway carved into its northeastern face near the ceiling. Perhaps more disturbing, however, is what lies in plain sight on the chamber floor- the bones of a long-decayed corpse.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-05-19 at 11:23 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Rae grimaced after the battle, though she did chuckle at Reynauld's comment. "I didn't think battle would be that spicy. Perhaps a rest would be in order." She tried not to show it, but she could feel the burns beneath her armor, and wasn't sure she could handle another fight like that one.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"I think resting is a perfectly reasonable suggestion," agreed the performer. "Though I should like to know if you want to pitch camp inside or outside."
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

"Perhaps inside the entrance of the main chamber? After all, who would be foolish enough to come in here." She smiled weakly as she cautiously made her way to the bones in the blue chamber to examine the body more closely.

Heal check
    (1d20+5)[7]
    #Notallinfluencers

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld made sure to point out the upper passage in the blue lantern alcove.
    "Yet another path to explore... who built this place? Why were they so averse to stairs?
    Hmm... we could make camp in that abandoned manor we passed on the way here. Nice and defensible, probably. I've got rations to last a while, and I'd be glad to share if anyone didn't pack any food, so hopefully we won't need to return to town until we've got some treasure to bring back."

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

"Whoever it was, they were trying to protect something. I don't know what, or why it was worth making this cairn deadly for." Simone stood and gestured at the body.

"These bones are mangled and crushed as if they fell from a great height. How did they get up there in the first place? I suppose we'll need to figure that out tomorrow." She instinctively glanced upwards to the shaft and tunnel Louise had discovered earlier.

"I like your idea of staying at the manor better than here, Reynauld. There's an unsettling aura about the place."
    #Notallinfluencers

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"I've got food for three days." Corinne added. "And I would also much prefer to stay in the spooky manor than the spooky tomb."

21. - Top - End - #141

Louise

"I second the motion of staying at the Manor. It's more defensible, less creepy, and there's no telling if other aberrations yet dwell within this place."

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Collecting yourselves from the many dangers already faced, the party turns back towards the entrance to the cairn. Ascending unmolested from the darkened cathedral of elemental air, you retrace your steps back towards the abandoned manor house. Once again, its presence is betrayed by the rusted hulks of abandoned mine equipment, and the broken edifice soon rises above the surrounding hills. The climb is surprisingly gentle, aided by the weathered remains of a foot path, and soon you stand before the tumbledown remains of a two story manor house. While the rough stone walls of the first floor look mostly intact, the second floor has completely collapsed. A chest-high wall rings the house, but it too is in a state of severe disrepair. Rubble and dense weeds choke the surrounding yard, with only the wide flagstone path to the decrepit porch remaining relatively free of hidden dangers.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-05-22 at 12:48 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"Y'know, I just remembered somethin'." Corinne stopped just outside the house, looking up at its dark exterior. "This was before my time, but I remember hearing about a mine around here that shut down some fifty years ago. Maybe Cordelia remembers; she's older than dirt. Anyway, the mine was stripped of valuables, and I assume the manor was too, but this was probably their central office. Y'know, in case anyone wanted to poke around some. Or wanted some local color."

24. - Top - End - #144

Louise

"I remember hearing that same story," Louise said. "Although, given the condition of this place, we should probably be pretty darn careful. Speaking of which, we should probably do a cursory check of this place, look for hazards. I'd start by seeing if this place has a basement, and if so, if there are any unpleasant surprises within. Last thing we need is to get jumped during the night."

Show
    Louise will circle the outside, Taking 10 on Spot (16) and Listen (13) to spot anything out of the ordinary. She will then take 20 on each of those at the entrance to the basement indicated on the map of the office.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld checked inside first, while his sunrod still shone, to see if there was anything hostile or already making its lair inside.
    "Let's make sure this is a safe place to camp before we get too comfortable..."

Show

Spot check: (1d20+2)[7]
    Listen check: (1d20+2)[10]

If anyone cares to join him, they're welcome to put their eyes and ears to the test.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

”Yes, a hundred and forty years old, and still looking as fine as Grabeteú Wine. Can’t say the same about your mother.” Cordellia quipped before clicking out a magical word, pressing three gloved fingers to her lips, and blowing out a kiss. A golden glowing whisp of air escaped her puckered lips, twisting through the breeze before settling, and perfectly aligning to form a creature of light vaguely in her image. Resting a luminescent hand on its hip, it bowed before its creator, and then began to drift well ahead of her. Rapier at the ready, Cordellia followed behind Reynauld, and pouted her lip slightly as she examined her own reflection inbetween scanning the room.

Spoiler: Stuff!
    Show

Cast Dancing Light

Spot:(1d20+3)[22]
    Listen:(1d20+3)[23]
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone squeezed Corrine's hand and sent her a commiserating glance before she followed Reynauld and the others into the defunct manor house.

"Your singing was really beautiful, by the way. You can stick with me if you want, we could probably use all the eyes and ears we've got in this place." She pulled out her mace and looked around warily as she proceeded further into the house.

"Any sign of habitation?"

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Spot
    (1d20+3)[5]
    Listen
    (1d20+3)[18]

eta: Simone will cast Cure Minor Wounds on herself and Reynauld.
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2018-05-22 at 09:33 PM.
    #Notallinfluencers

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

The Bard gave only a scowl in reply to Cordelia's merciless taunting, though she returned a grateful look at Simone and then nodded. "Gladly." She dropped in beside the cleric and lowered her voice to a whisper, "Who crawled under her skin?"

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Intent on examining the manor, the party divides its forces, Louise examining the perimeter while Reynauld leads the bulk of the group towards the manor proper. Thick vines crisscross the otherwise smooth stone blocks of the building, partially concealing the jagged glass of broken windows. The path through the overgrown yard leads to a sagging and partially collapsed porch. In the shadows of the tattered roof, the front door hangs open, barely hanging on its hinges. The first steps groans in protest at Reynauld's step, but the remains of the porch seem strong enough yet to bear his weight. It is but a few strides, and he pushes open the hanging door to reveal the room beyond.

Small mounds of debris litter the floor of the manor's interior. Loose stones, dead weeds, and grime cover virtually every surface, the entire mess brought into stark relief by the light of Reynauld's sunrod and Cordellia's spell. Rectangular stain patterns reveal where paintings must once have hung on the walls, but they now stand barren. A loose floorboard creaks unseen beneath a carpet of leaves, and further investigation reveals a fireplace nestled in a nook to the south. It all seems fairly innocuous, until Cordellia's keen senses detect movement in the surrounding detritus. Before she can cry out, the fireplace explodes in a flurry of desiccated remains, as a snake easily eight feet long lunges towards Reynauld. It's mouth opens wide, revealing a pair of wicked fangs, which find purchase in the crusader's neck. The enormous reptile shudders once, sending a stream of liquid fire into Reynauld's veins before it withdraws with a hiss.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reynauld takes 3 damage, and must make a DC 11 Fort save or take 1 Con damage.

Cordellia may act in the surprise round.

In normal initiative, Corinne goes first, then the snake, then the party.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Eyes going wide, Cordellia pointed her rapier at the elusive creature, and was a fraction too late as it struck out at the simple crusader. Sneering, the Elven Evoker sidestepped her ally, and brought her rapier close to chest. Placing her free hand on her hip, she ran it along her side before rapidly straightening her arm, and folding her palm at the snake. A minor twist, a crinkle of the skin beneath, and her cold collected hand ignited with a gout of intense violet flame.

Spoiler: Five Foot Step and Burning Hands!
    Show

Reflex Save chump!:(3d4)[10] Fire damage

Also nature:(1d20+8)[9]
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░