New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dark's Age of Worms IC

Corinne

Not finding a convenient mark for her bow, Corinne drew her sword and slid into the room behind Simone. "Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?"
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

The sudden gout of fire from Cordellia's hands engulfs the snake, its sinuous body lashing around in agony at the unfamiliar pain. The pitch of its hissing takes on a new and desperate tenor, as it slides forwards to end its tormentor's life. In its wake, several clusters of garbage on the floor continue burning, as bright embers begin to float into the air. Perhaps it is their glare, or the sudden exultation of her power, but Cordellia is too slow to dodge the snake's counterattack. Fangs pierce her thigh, and deadly poison rushes towards her heart.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Cordellia takes 2 damage and must make a DC 11 Fort save or take 1 Con damage.

Two squares in the manor have caught fire.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-05-22 at 11:31 PM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Ignoring the pain and gritting his teeth through the poison, Reynauld brought his maul down on the crispy snake!

Show

Attacking with Leading the Attack strike, swift action assuming Martial Spirit Stance.
    Attack: (1d20+5)[6]
    Damage: (1d10+5)[13]

If he hits, he heals 2, and allies get +4 to attack the snake for a round.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

The large snake had taken Simone completely by surprise and it was in slow motion that she watched it sink its fangs into Reynauld's neck. Still, she was slow to respond as Cordellia set it aflame and Corrine moved to catch up. She still felt as though she was moving underwater as she swung her heavy mace at the snake's fanged face.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Attack the snake
    (1d20+1)[19]
    damage
    (1d8+1)[4]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Simone's blow catches the snake on the side of the head, propelling its skull towards the opposite wall with a sickening thud. At once, the lashing movements cease, leaving only the eddy of dust and the slowly growing fires to contend with. Acting quickly, the party stomps down the growing flames until they are naught but ash, and finally peace returns to the manor interior.

Show
    I need DC 11 Fort saves from Cordellia and Reynauld one minute after the initial save.

On a failure, Reynauld takes 5 Con damage and Cordellia takes 6 Con damage.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Stamping down a flame with a high heeled boot, Cordellia flourished her rapier dramatically, placed it in its sheathe, and began to take a drink from her flask. She hardly seemed to register the other poison pumping through her veins. "Everyone else alright? Yes? Good. Hopefully that was the sole tenant of this office space." Cordellia's eyes settle on the fireplace as she begins to sweep the room once more.

Spoiler: Search!
    Show

(1d20+6)[21]
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld sat down on the floor with a groan as Simone tended to the wound on his neck, making sure the poison had safely run its course. The crusader stared with a certain level of fascination at Cordellia, who seemed to tough through the poison on sheer moxie, or perhaps her over-worked liver was to blame.

As the others put out the small fire, Reynauld stood back up.
    "Woof! That was an unkind surprise. Thank you, Cordellia, thank you, my lady Simone. Looks like it was my turn to be saved. *cough* Well... Ms. Rae, perhaps... would you be so kind as to check the rest of this manor for... inhabitants? I need a moment, I think. Just to sit a spell, yes..."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Stepping around the snake carcass, Cordellia makes a thorough sweep of the living room alcove. It quickly becomes clear that the snake was using the cavity of the fireplace as a nest, the layers of cold ashes crushed into a solid foundation for a morbid collection of animal remains. Most of the bones are innocuous, but something buried deep in the nest catches the wizard's eye. She reaches to clear away a segment of dried snakeskin, and reveals what is clearly a humanoid skull. There is a crack from beneath her feet, and looking down she sees the remains of a skeletal arm, a tarnished silver bracelet still tangled in the remains.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

"Alas poor mine worker, I knew thee job well." She held the cracked skull up by her glowing body double and admired it briefly before shrugging and dropping it back in the nest. Bending over, she used her rapier to stab at the enticing limb and pulled the silver necklace up for her to examine and polish.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Applying her sleeve to the bracelet, Cordellia is able to wipe a measure of the grime away. The bracelet is a simple affair, a floral pattern embossed around a thin band, but the inner band reveals more. There is a short inscription within, written in common.

To my darling Alice - Papa

Furthermore, carefully testing the weight Cordellia guesses that the band is silver plate, rather than pure silver.

Show
    The bracelet is maybe worth 5 gp.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Firbolg in the Playground

Louise

Hearing a series of loud noises from the side of the house from inside, Louise came running around the front. "I heard sounds of battle. Is everyone okay?"

Show
    Did Louise hear or spot anything at the basement entrace.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone frowned as she cleaned her bodyguard's wound.

"No need to thank me Reynauld, I'm just sorry I didn't react quickly enough to prevent this nasty bite in the first place." She patted him on the shoulder sympathetically as he sat back down tiredly and handed him her flask.

"Oh! It's just water." She grinned sheepishly as Louise came around the house.

"There was a large snake denning in the fireplace. Venomous. Reynauld and Cordellia got bit but luckily it seems there's no lasting effects from the venom. Reynauld's having a sit. Shall the rest of us see to the basement? I could do for a sit myself, so the sooner we're sure we're clear of hazards, the better." She hoisted her mace over her shoulder and looked at the others expectantly.
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

”Hmmm....” Cordellia examined the bracelet for a moment before Louise suddenly entered “Reptilian scuffle. Nothing a light coating of arcane fire couldn’t fix. Though do keep your eyes open, I only have one more of those in reserve, and after that well it’s just sparks and smoke. As for the bite, well, nothing some whiskey can’t handle. Rae, baby, would you be so kind as to take the lead while Reynauld recuperates? This place may yet hold more secrets like this bracelet. Whoever this alice and her father were, they weren’t exactly lavish spenders. Shame.”
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

14. - Top - End - #164

Louise

"I've been to the entrance of the basement. There's no immediate hazards I could spot, though of course there may yet be something down there. Although, if we're all gathered here, I think we might as well see if any of the second floor is intact."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Rae, off at the wrong end of the house when the fighting started, arrived just in time to see the snake fall for good. That was the second time Reynauld had taken a hit for her, so when he asked her to scout again, she just nodded and began a full sweep of the house.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"If there was a giant snake living here, there could be anything." Corinne's voice sounded small, almost childlike. She'd been unnerved by the presence of the snake. "But we should maybe clear the house so we can sleep safely."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

On guard thanks to their serpentine encounter, the party makes a careful circuit of the rundown manor. Ascending the stairs, you are greeted by sunlight through the aging beams of the collapsed roof. Little remains of the second floor beyond the barest hint of two bedrooms, though the collected rubbish seems to have formed enough of a barrier to protect the first story from the elements. Returning to the ground floor, three more rooms are meticulously searched with little to show for it, beyond sufficient sign to identify a former study, dining room, and kitchen. A back door in worse repair than the front leads out into the yard, where the stones of an ancient well stand several feet from the chaotic jumble of a collapsed outbuilding. Finally, the basement, as with no small trepidation Rae leads the explorers back into the depths of the earth...to discover little more than a disused cellar. Throughout, Corinne's eyes glow an eldritch purple, but fail to detect anything of arcane significance.

The manor, such as it is, is yours.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-05-26 at 02:09 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Once the manor was declared clear, Reynauld went for a walk to find sticks and tinder to start a fire for the night, piling them up in the fireplace. There was still much of the day left, so the crusader spent some time exercising and practicing drills in the yard. There was also no shortage of things to do in the manor to make their stay slightly more comfortable, such as clearing out detritus and cobwebs, and finding solid objects or stones with which to block or jam the doors when they finally were ready to sleep.

As evening settled in, Reynauld cleaned his weapons and armor, sitting on his bedroll.
    "Slow and steady wins the race, eh? Where should we explore next on the morrow? It seems we've got that pit that opened up where the beetles attacked, the blocked passage down the other elevator, and that strange passageway up near the ceiling of the blue lantern corridor. We also haven't seen what happens when we spin the empty sarcophagus at the other passageways."

19. - Top - End - #169

Louise

Seated atop her bedroll, Louise considered the question.

"I would suggest the passageway up in the ceiling, if only because I am curious as to how that skeleton came to be beneath it."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2018-05-27 at 09:43 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone had spent the remainder day in quiet contemplation as she helped Reynauld gather wood and then sat quietly in the sunshine as he did his calisthenics. She unrolled her own sleeping bag between him and Corrine and sat atop it sketching in her journal as they others contemplated the next day's path.

"I think the passageway above the blue corridor intrigues me the most, but we should test out all the colors before we leave that room behind and pray we won't meet another beetle swarm." She shuddered at the memory of the dark crawling mass.
    #Notallinfluencers

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Though it takes some time to clear a comfortable place in the manor's central chamber, there is eventually enough space for the party to stretch out comfortably in their bedrolls. It seems at first meager accommodation, until the wind begins to pick up at dusk. By nightfall, a spring gale has rolled down from the north to assault the hills, drowning the surrounding valleys in gallons of rain and rending the sky with lightning. Miraculously, the collapsed roof holds, and the party wakes relatively warm and dry. Outside, the damp of the storm has transfigured the surrounding hills into a field of glassy marble, but it is a passing illusion. If something of value remains in the area, there is little doubt it lurks in the Whispering Cairn.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld only got fitful rest in between the storm and volunteering for a shift at watch. However, dawn broke true as always, and the crusader met the morning light with joy, letting its warmth fill his breast and ease his aching muscles. He would no doubt have a few new scars, most recently the puncture wounds on his neck, but each was a mark of his devotion.

After performing his morning exercise routine, he wolfed down some dry rations: hard tack, black salt sausage, and a handful of nuts. He checked his equipment one last time before meeting the others in the yard.

"Praise Pelor for another clear morning, my lady Simone. If the Shining One can spare a bit more of his grace to further mend his loyal servant, I shan't refuse. Then we're off to the cairn once more!"

23. - Top - End - #173

Louise

Even though her bones ached from the excitement of the day, Louise had no small amount of trouble sleeping between the noise from the storm and the fear the roof would fall in. Nonetheless, in the end she managed to get a little bit of shuteye, and joined the others the next morning in her own breakfast of hardtack, jerky, and dried fruit.

"Did everyone sleep alright?"

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"Still alive, if that's what you're asking." Corinne was much more cheerful now that it was morning and they'd passed the night in relative peace. The storm hadn't bothered her nearly as much as the previous day's events. Storms were storms, and there was something comforting in the natural, even if it mean leaks and a chill wind.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone had spent the early hours of dawn watching the sunrise and murmuring soft prayers in the gentle morning light. She arose at length and stretched, muscles stiff from remaining in one position for so long. She was just rummaging in her pack for some dried fruit and jerky when Louise asked after their sleep, and Reynauld came to her for healing.

"Praise be to Pelor, Lord of the Sun, the compassionate, the merciful." She recited a popular adage of Pelorites as she placed her hands upon Reynauld's shoulders and healed his wounds from the day before. Joy filled her as she felt the warmth of their god flow from her to the Crusader.

"That should be the last of the snake's bite." As the rush of the spell faded, she realized that the discomfort she was feeling was more than mere sluggishness of the morning and she healed herself quickly of her lingering ails from the day before. She looked over the group and noticed Cordellia wasn't looking quite as jaunty as she had prior to the snake encounter, though she couldn't rule out the amount of alcohol the woman had imbibed last night as the culprit either. Regardless, Simone approached the elf and infused her with a tiny bit of her soothing essences.

"I hope that helps." She smiled tentatively at her, uncertain how she might take the unsolicited heal. Quickly, she diverted her attention to Louise whose question she had yet to answer.

"I slept surprisingly well, I suspect largely due to not being awoken to take my share of the watch." She raised an eyebrow at Reynauld as she bit into a tough piece of jerky.

"Before we go, will you help me bury the child? It isn't right to leave her discarded like an unwanted doll." She switched to a dried apricot.

"It's pretty odd, don't you think? Finding her bones in the fireplace?"

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show
    Simone will cast CLW on Reynauld for 9 hp. She will cast Cure Minor Wounds on herself and Cordellia for 1hp each.
    #Notallinfluencers

26. - Top - End - #176

Louise

"I would be happy to help put her remains to rest, Simone... but does anyone have a shovel? We will need it to bury her. Although I suppose if all else fails we could cremate her remains."
    Louise stroked her chin. "Perhaps that is what whoever put her remains in the fire was trying to accomplish? To dispose of the body? Certainly it makes one suspect foul play might have been involved."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"I have no shovel, but if Simone wants to say a few words, I can lead us in a hymn or two afterward," Corinne offered helpfully.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Cordellia ignored the somber affair, her mind was wracked in studying her book, and she sat on the edge of the well flipping through pages. Every few minutes she’d adjust her wide brimmed black hat, touch up her hair, and then return with gusto to memorizing spells.

Spoiler: Spells for the day
    Show

3 Castings of Light
    2 Castings of Detect Magic

1 Casting of Lesser Orb of Fire
    2 Castings of Burning Hands
    1 Casting of Mage Armor
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2018-06-02 at 01:27 AM.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

29. - Top - End - #179

Louise

All of a sudden, a thought struck Louise. She considered their encounter with the snake again, and the numerous skeletons of small animals they had found inside the house as well. Something occurred to her.

"On second thought, I think I know how the girl got here. With all the small animal corpses in and around the fireplace, and the fact that the snake came from there, it was almost certainly it's nest. I'd bet my last copper piece that the snake ate her and passed the bones."

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld seemed anxious to continue their delve, but he gave the girl's remains due consideration.

"Was there not a child rumored to have disappeared when she went to explore the cairn several years ago? One wonders if that poor soul was whom we found. I have no shovel nor spade with which to bury the poor girl, but the camp's fire still smolders. Let us place the bones in the embers, such that they soften to ash. We will spread the ashes upon our return from the cairn, so that she may float free on the wind beneath the shining sun."