New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dark's Age of Worms IC

"Oh no!" Simone was dismayed by the thought of the girl meeting such an horrific end by the awful snake.

"Poor child." She looked to her bodyguard with approval and nodded.

"Yes, a cremation will do in lieu of a burial." She began to transfer the girl's bones to the campfire.

"Perhaps she was the missing girl. I shall ask around town when we get back. Her Papa might be comforted to know his daughter was put to rest properly."
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2018-06-03 at 01:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"Oh, gods," Corinne whispered. "I didn't even think of that possibility." The Bard knelt next to Simone and cast a pitying glance at the remains. "Here, I'll help you."
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

"Her father is dead." Rae grunted, blunt but oddly formal as she crept into the room. Taking the graveyard guard shift - needing only four hours of rest and not having to ready spells made taking a watch only natural - had not done wonders for her mood, but she was more down than grumpy. "At least, that's the story as I heard it from a guy who knew a guy. I don't even remember when, but it was a loudmouth back at town. Drunk, natch." She halted her approach after moving a little closer, but there wasn't really enough room for three people to manage the cremation. She settled instead for fiddling with her belt and looking into the funerary fire she'd jokingly requested yesterday. "Little Alice's disappearance broke the family. The father became an alcoholic; the mother vanished after too much time living with an alcoholic, and is supposedly at the bottom of Diamond lake, and the father drank himself to death soon after." Her mouth worked for a second and she made an ambiguous noise. "Not a very happy story, that one. Supposedly, though, there's a fourth player - the sister, Hannah. Hearsay and rumor have it that she works at the Midnight Salute under a stage name. If we're sure it's Alice Boyle, we could try to track her down and bring the whole sorry chapter to an end. Maybe get her some closure. Not fun, but rewarding, in it's own way."
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone had frozen mid-way to the fire as Rae revealed what she knew about the child and her tragic family history.

"We'll find her sister then." Her voice was quiet and her face solemn as her gaze caught Reynauld's. As she and Corrine finished their grim task, Simone paused to say a small prayer for the girl.

"Merciful Pelor, the sun has set on this child's life too soon. Please grant her soul serenity and protect it from evil. Let the sun rise and the shadows flee. Blessed be the sunlight and the flames to which we send her mortal shell." After a moment more of silent contemplation she looked to the others.

"Shall we go?"
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld knelt near the flames, holding his holy symbol close to his chest as Simone said her simple rite. The crusader stood, checking his weapons one last time.
    "Aye, my lady. Let us clear out this cairn of dangers, and hopefully prevent further sorrowful tales."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Several morning hours are spent preparing to usher Alice into the afterlife. Surrounded on all sides by rocky desolation, the tangled thicket of the manor yard proves the only ready source of fuel, and its thorny vines resist the party's attentions to their utmost. Meanwhile, within, the manor, Simone sorts through the charnel house of desiccated remains in the snake's nest, proving her dedication to Pelor in what seems at the outset a fruitless task. Yet somehow faith prevails, and by the time a suitable pyre is built the majority of Alice's bones have been recovered from their ignominious resting place. The service is brief but heartfelt, a psalm to Pelor uttered as the first sparks ignite the meager timber. It does not require a large fire to sanctify the remains, and before the sun has reached its zenith the party sets out once more.

The hike back to the Cairn seems longer today. Perhaps it is the oppressive dread of horrors yet-unseen, or the sudden specter of death so recently brought to mind. Or perhaps simply the added treachery of rain-slick stone. Whatever the cause, the delay is a minor thing, and soon you stand once more before the yawning black portal atop that lonely hill. The partially explored hall stretches out beyond the range of torchlight, and at its end the false tomb awaits.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld lit another sun rod, fixing it in his belt as before. Before beginning any real exploration in earnest, the crusader took the time to drag the wolf corpses, and the corpse of the skittering many-legged horror, out of the cairn. He dumped them unceremoniously 100 yards away from he entrance, hugging the base of the hill.

"That should help with the smell. Say, does anyone know how to skin a wolf? Maybe their pelts are worth some coin? I don't think we can skin whatever that... eyeball thing is. Maybe the Emporium could stuff it and mount it as a curiosity?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

As requested, Spot check from Reynauld: (1d20+2)[20]

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Diving bravely into the Cairn, Reynauld goes unmolested while removing the bodies from the previous day. Whatever dangers lurk deeper in the earth have failed to rise to the scent of fresh blood, leaving little of interest in the work. Until Reynauld passes close to the alcove nearest the stairs down. Turning his head down the collapsed corridor, the crusader catches sight of a glimmer of reflected light from the base of the cave-in. On closer examination, a tunnel through the rubble becomes apparent, its rough sides marked with the loos hairs and old stains of a predator's passage. Perhaps he has discovered the wolves' den.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Rae moved as deeply into the complex as Reynauld to keep watch. Mindful of the group's previous reaction to solo exploration, though, she went no further, and only shook her head when asked about skinning creatures.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld grimaced as the animal stink of the apparent den filled his nostrils. He got down on all fours, the better to crawl into the cramped quarters of the wolves' hiding place.
    "I wonder if the remains of any more unfortunate victims are stashed within? Worth a look around, at least."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Crawling into the cramped tunnel of debris, Reynauld's sunrod illuminates the remains of what must once have been intricate stonework, now laid low by the ravages of time. The ground is damp with the accumulated spoor of wolves and fouler things, but the leavings of nature are nothing compared to the filth of war. Maintaining razor focus, Reynauld makes a discovery before he even emerges into the chamber beyond, as his hand brushes against a piece of stone far more polished than the surrounding walls. Brushing the dirt free, he discovers it to be a marble finger, its base broken off from some larger sculpture. By its size, it may be a match for the engraved figure on the empty sarcophagus below. So emboldened by modest success, Reynauld reaches the end of the tunnel and emerges into the end of the alcove. Standing, it becomes apparent that the cave-in was not complete, allowing the crusader to stretch his limbs before continuing his search. Examination of the north wall reveals a moldering leather backpack under a pile of humanoid bones. Its surface cracking to the touch, Reynauld opens it to reveal a lantern very similar to those in the false tomb, save that its glass and metal are a brilliant indigo color. Some unfortunate tomb robber apparently never made it out of the Cairn. Turning his attention to the southern half of the wolf den, Reynauld thinks it empty at first, until he toes a deer's skull over to reveal an intricately carved armband of unmistakable elven craftsmanship, bearing a repeating leaf motif.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld emerged from the stinking tunnel grinning like a school boy, the newfound treasures in hand.
    "I've found one of our missing lanterns! And this armband might fetch a decent price; it seems of elvish make. And lastly I've found a stone finger, perhaps the one missing from that sarcophagus lid. Let's see if it fits."

Reynauld returned to the large central chamber, seeing if the finger fit on the carved humanoid's hand.
    "Hm. Some glue could be of use. Do any of you have some bit of magic that might help repair it?"

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone grinned at the Crusader's enthusiasm.

"Sadly, I thought it prudent to focus on healing spells for the day, so I can't help with the Mending. Corrine, are you able to help?"
    #Notallinfluencers

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"Not a spell I know, sorry!" Corinne frowned slightly. "Loath though I am to suggest it, perhaps our illustrious wizard will prove useful in that regard."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Firbolg in the Playground

Louise

"Not that you were wondering, but I unfortunately have nothing that could mend the stone, either. But as long as you've got that lantern out, Reynauld, would you mind terribly if I tried to hang it in its rightful place?"
    Everything dissolves into blue.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Cordellia merely watched in disgust as the wolf and eyeball-ridden abomination were deposited outside, flicking the top of her flask every once and a while as if to reassure herself of its comforting powers, and played with her rapier inbetween reciting some kind of Draconic poem or thesis. A deviant smile etched itself across her face as Reynauld returned with loot in store and she clapped her black suede gloves in glee.

"Elven you say? Well I must simply take a look. Our people have yet to disappoint me in regards to quality craftsmanship." She glanced at Rae knowingly before taking the armbands and inspecting them. She was still intently looking them over, trying them on, and feeling its intricate grooves and curves when the question of fixing the statue came up. Tutting, she rolled her eyes and made a show of pointing at the scorch marks before them.

"Illustrious is right, my little beauty, but a magus of my artistry requires fine precision, dedication, and narrow focus. My arsenal of arcane wonders, cantrips, and invocations is keenly tuned to evoking. Harnessing the arcane energies of the underlying universe that weaves through everything living or dead and shunting it violently or opportunistically one way or the next. Subliminal processes hard engrained into my brain every morning to scorch and subsume. My magic does not mend easily, it ravages and reveals. In short, no, I can't put the finger back on the hand. Give me a day and I can properly prepare the necessary transmutational rituals. Assuming it fits within the proper parameters for the desired effect."

She walked over to the statue and bumpedher hip against Corrine’s to move her and more closely examine the cut.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

While debate rages on how to repair the carving on the sarcophagus, Reynauld confirms that the broken finger indeed completes the image. Bent at a disconcertingly precise angle for a living digit, the fragment curves over the thumb tucked into the statue's palm, forming a partial fist. Though it was no doubt broken with violence, the craftsmanship is such that there is hardly a seam when the two are brought together.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

Examining the hand, the seamless cut, and experimentally tapping the finger in question Cordellia stood erect. Placing her hands on her hip she shakes her head definitively. ”Marble’s a tricky thing. This is a fairly complex base structure and material. Too heavy for paltry cantrips. If we’re to fix this hand we’d need stronger magic or some kind of bonding material.”
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2018-06-08 at 11:31 PM.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone frowned at the hand for a second, perturbed that they weren't able to carry out her bodyguard's idea.

"Well if we can't fix the hand, why don't we go explore the blue corridor? We have to start somewhere."
    #Notallinfluencers

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld eyed the strange passageway up near the edge of the sunrod's light. He idly grasped the chain that hung from the ceiling, upon which the blue lantern was attached.

"I suppose this chain could be used to assist a climb? I'm not a professional climber, but if I shrug off this armor I might be passable at it. If anyone else is more skilled at such things, you could take up my rope and lower it down so that the rest of us might have an easier time of it."

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sounds like a job for your friendly local hero!" Rae grabbed the chain and gave it an experimental tug. "Vanguard ahoy! I'll be back before you know it."

Show
    Climb Check: (1d20)[9]

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Ascending the lantern chain hand over hand, Rae ascends into the shadowy heights of the cairn. The light from the lantern at her hip cuts through the gloom, illuminating the dizzying starscape embedded in the ceiling, and revealing the mysteries of the tunnel above. The thin passage extends into shadows to the northeast, extending perhaps seventy feet. At the edge of Rae's vision, the passage ends in what looks like an enormous stone human face, its mouth open in an angry scream.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

”Would you kindly toss down a knotted rope my dear so we can get to properly reclaiming this place?” Cordellia called down from the bottom of the shaft and held her hand out expectantly.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

Moving out of Cordelia's way after the very rude ELf hip-checked her, Corinne turned her attention to the pathways available to them, eyeing each in turn rather suspiciously. "Blue sounds good to me," she chimed in after Simone suggested it.

"Be careful, Rae!" she cautioned, as the Wood Elf climbed into darkness.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

"I didn't know a hallway could be so angry..." Rae muttered, before drawing out her hooked rope and attaching it to the lip of the passage, bopping it a few times and even partially testing her weight on it to make certain that it was secure before dropping it down. "Here!"

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Cocking an eyebrow at the obviously not knotted rope, Cordellia rolled her one visible eye, and hiked her coat up to begin her ascent.

Show
    Taking 10
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone stood back as Cordellia made her slow way to the top of the corridor. She wasn't entirely confident of her own rope climbing abilities, but she gamely grasped the rope and began her slow ascent.

"I'll see you up top." She gave a last smile at the others left with her at the bottom and focused on climbing.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Taking 10.
    #Notallinfluencers

28. - Top - End - #208
    Firbolg in the Playground

Louise

"And then there was I."

Louise shimmied carefully up the rope, climbing into the hallway above. She gazed suspiciously at the stone face.

"I heard a tale once, long ago, of a dungeon that had a rather infamous trap within a statue's mouth, much like this one. Would anyone care to quickly detect if there is magic about?"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Taking 10 on Climb to get up the rope.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld found himself alone down below with Corinne the bard. He fingered his maul idly as he looked about the cavernous lantern chamber.

"Is it wise for us all to gather above when there are traps about? Let us not forget this poor gentleman down here."

The crusader motioned toward the skeletal corpse in the blue lantern alcove with the toe of his thick leather boot.

"...If bones could speak... Lady Louise, I'll trust to your expertise on the matter.

I'll remain here, Ms. Corinne. I would be loathe to leave a young lady such as yourself alone down here undefended."

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"Very well," replied the Bard. "I can do it." Corinne flashed a quick smile of thanks at Reynauld, and then slowly made her way up the rope until she'd joined most of the others at the top.

"I haven't heard that tale," she replied to Louise's commentary, "but why not just leave the mouth of the statue alone and then not have to worry about it?"

Show
    Take 10 to climb the rope, and then Detect Magic where people want me to.