New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dark's Age of Worms IC

Her eyes flashing blue, Corinne examines the long corridor leading to the screaming visage. While the corridor itself is bereft of magical auras, the carving glitters with a pair of magical auras, intertwining in elaborate patterns and geometric symbols that should appear chaotic yet somehow form an immediately identifiable whole.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Corinne detects one Faint and one Moderate aura. While she can't identify the school of the Faint aura, the Moderate aura is one of Transmutation.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-06-15 at 12:58 PM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

Corinne uttered a few arcane words and made the appropriate gestures before magically examining the immediate area. Her outstretched hand tingled with the magic she poured out, lighting up the sources for her eyes too see. "One aura...I cannot make out. The other...that is transmutation. I am certain of it. Make of that what you will," she added with a small smile.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Firbolg in the Playground

Louise

"Probably something that no-one wants to touch. Speaking of which, I'd best take a look for traps."

As she made her way over, Louise spotted something.

"There are several long grooves in the stone, here. As if something got dragged to the lip of the corridor leading to the shaft."

Louise then went about examining the face for traps.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    We've established previously that I can, in fact, take 20 on searching for traps, which gives me a 28.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Approaching the face on the wall for a more thorough examination, Louise feels a slight click beneath her feet. Looking down, she sees the outline of a previously hidden pressure plate, but before she can call out a warning the hallway begins to rumble. The face upon the wall comes alive, its mouth distending into a death wail and releasing a blast of terrible wind. Any exposed flames are extinguished instantly, and a glow from the carving fills the darkness. Each eye radiates a kaleidoscopic rainbow patter, the seven colors weaving together much like the magical auras in Corinne's vision, their complex dance an assault on the mind.

Show
    Everyone in the tunnel must make a DC 13 Will Save or be affected as Hold Person.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-06-15 at 11:02 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"Oh, sh...TRAP!" Corinne shouted before running back toward the hole and leaping down, casting a spell as she leapt.

Show
    Jump down the hole with Feather Fall!

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

"Everybody back down the hole!" Alarmed by the click and the magical intrusion in her mind that she had managed to stave off, Simone followed Corrine's lead and let herself back down the rope as quickly as she could manage.

Spoiler: ooc actions
    Show
    Double move back down the rope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

7. - Top - End - #217

Louise

"Oh, horsefeathers."

As Louise felt the click beneath her feet, she knew whatever came next couldn't be good. A far-off part of her mind commended the designer - of course no-one would check the floor when the face had their attention. But the majority of her braced herself for whatever had presumably caused the grooves in the floor.

Then the wind started blowing.

"Oh, ****! Run!"

Louise then made a beeline for the hatch, running at full speed.

Show
    If Louise is able to grab onto the rope and try climbing down it as part of her actions, she will do so.

If that is not something she can do, she will simply attempt to jump down and hope for the best.

As such, this is either a climb or a tumble check: (1d20)[1]

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

Caught off guard by the sudden burst of wind, the party scatters. Abandoning their paralyzed comrades in the heat of the moment, Corinne, Simone, and Louise all rush for the lip of the shaft. Launching herself from the tunnel, Corinne barks a few eldritch words and arrests her fall with magical buoyancy, floating gently to the floor. Simone and Louise, however, are forced to contend with the rope, and while the climb is a simple thing with time and patience the two women have neither. Simone is the first to lose her grip while attempting a rapid descent, plunging into the darkness with a scream. How fortunate, then, that her bodyguard Reynauld has made read for her, as she lands in his waiting arms. Louise, forced to run with the wind at her back, is not so lucky as to observe the drama, and like Simone loses her grip while attempting her descent. Meanwhile, within the tunnel itself, the wind intensifies, sending Cordellia and Rae's hair and clothing whipping madly around them.

Show
    Simone and Reynauld take 11 nonlethal damage. Louise takes 15 damage, or 12 on a successful DC 15 Tumble check.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-06-17 at 08:49 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld had been tugging on the rope, getting ready to climb up himself, when the horrible wind started. He gaped in awe as Corinne floated majestically down the shaft, landing without a scratch, but he gave a shout of alarm when Simone took a tumble. He managed to catch her, but the descent was still enough to knock the wind out of her and drop her unconscious; it was all the crusader could to to remain standing himself.

Louise was not so lucky, landing hard on the merciless stone floor. Gently, Reynauld placed Simone down, before trying to move Louise so her breathing wasn't obstructed and equipment and limbs weren't poking up into likely cracked or broken bones.

Show

Heal check to stabilize Louise: (1d20+2)[13]
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2018-06-18 at 01:12 AM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"Here, let me help!" Corinne knelt next to Reynauld and attempted to aid him as best she could (mostly by following instructions as directed).

Show
    (1d20)[19]

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

At the bottom of the pit, Reynauld and Corinne work feverishly to staunch the flow of blood where Louise's broken bones have punctured the skin, turning her head to prevent the blood from her bitten tongue from choking her and doing their best to ease her labored breathing. The seconds seem to stretch into hours, but eventually the two impromptu medics collapse back, their clothes stained with blood and other fluids, reasonably sure that Louise is stabilized. In the tunnel above, Cordellia's limbs suddenly answer her frenzied demands, breaking free from ancient compulsion and allowing her to stagger forward a few steps. She finds herself alone, save for a similarly paralyzed Rae, but before she can make her escape the wind intensifies again. The flame in Rae's lantern finally winks out, and both elves feel themselves lifted from stable footing. Below, the normally subdued susurrus of whispers begins to crescendo, as the wind from above roils downwards and through the depths of the Cairn.

Show
    Rae and Cordellia must make a DC 18 Fort save or be knocked prone by the wind.

The wind is currently blowing around 70 mph.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

"My master, is there a reason you're having me balance these books on my head whilst we play? You're already far more skilled at the game then me, I don't see why you need a further advantage over me." Cordellia delicately picked up her piece and wavered between moving it aggressively or defensively. The two wizards sat parallel from each other, clean wooden chairs placed beneath them, and a smoothly cut slab of stone acted as the board betwixt them. The wind blew daintily, softly rustling the clean green grass beneath them still wet with the morning dew, and it ruffled Cordellia's exquisite lacey dress.

"As an Elf you are particularly resistant to somebody controlling you with magic," She placed her piece down finally and without a second thought Allustan moved in counter pose, shattering her entire plan with a sacrifice play she hadn't seen coming "However that doesn't make you infallible to these practices. Your body will work against you, but your mind, your mind will still be your own. Take that time you have, stripped of physical concentration, and use it instead to process your environment. Your circumstances. And when the time is right and you have been freed..."

"Act." She slammed her shiny black piece down and sent the books on her head toppling to the floor "My apologies... But, I think that's game?"
    "Indeed. Clean this up and return to your studies. I have business to attend to."

The memory flashed in her mind as clear as it was weeks ago, Cordellia's paralyzed form riddled with a sense of fear, and then upon realizing how rapidly her erstwhile companions abandoned her, resentment. She ground her teeth slowly before realizing that she had in fact been able to grind her teeth at all, and upon feeling the full magical binding release her she smiled and looked to her fellow abandoned Elf.

"Hold on Rae, I've got-" THUMP Was as far as she got before the winds blasted her to the ground and she desperately reached out to her fellow kin in vain. "I'm sorry love!" Was all she got before she tumbled back and made a dive for the rope.

"Those stunty bastards." She thought to herself as she finally could see beneath her all the remaining members of her party.

Spoiler: Climb Check?
    Show

(1d20)[13]
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Finally freed of the traps paralyzing gaze, Cordellia descends the increasingly wobbly rope. While her weight seems sufficient to keep the grapple moored in place, the force of the wind is clearly having an effect. Below, Reynauld confirms that Simone is indeed merely unconscious, while Corinne takes a moment to breathe after the frenzied effort to save Louise's life. Every member of the party is beyond immediate danger. Save for Rae. In the tunnel above, the elven warrior's shout of sudden freedom is drowned out by a blast of air easily twice as powerful as any before, the stone tunnel focusing the might of a hurricane squarely towards her waiting body.

Show
    Rae must make a DC 20 Fortitude save or be Blown Away.

Though she attempts to brace herself, Rae is no match for the terrible wind, and she is lifted free of the floor. Tumbling end over end into the waiting pit behind her, she fixes on the sole hope left to her. Might arms shoot out, and against all odds manage to wrap around the lantern chain dangling at the center of the shaft. Buffeted on all sides by the raging wind, Rae realizes that she is nevertheless far enough from the mouth of the tunnel to be beyond immediate danger.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-06-18 at 05:07 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

Heart hammering, Rae did her utmost to remain calm and scoot down the chain in a controlled fashion. Her hair had never been tidy, but now it was truly a flaxen corona around her, or perhaps a crowning monument to bad decisions. Either way, she shuffled toward the ground as best she could.

Show
    Climb Check: (1d20+7)[17]

Fortunately, she made it without further incident. Clearly struggling to recover her wits, she took a headcount before looking down at Louise's body. "...gods. Will she live?"
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2018-06-18 at 08:08 PM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Rejoined by their wayward elves, the party finds themselves at the bottom of an increasingly tempestuous wind tunnel. The hurricane above you shows no sign of abating, and in the few moments it takes to gather your faculties the grappling hook is finally wrenched from its moorings. The metal barb scatters along the walls, the rope attached to it trailing like the tail of a demented kite, and more than one member of the party has to duck to keep from being stabbed by the flying claw before it collides in a sickening crunch with the pile of bones on the floor. Thus incentivised, the party makes a quick withdrawal, their steps hounded by the relentless wind until emerging into the daylight. It is a short walk back to the relative safety of the manor, but far slower now with two injured comrades to manage.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone groaned as she awoke with a new set of aches and pains. Both frustrated and relieved to be back at the old house and not the cairn, she didn't have to wonder overly hard at how she ended up back here.

"The last thing I remember was going for the rope and slipping. And seeing your face grow closer at an alarming rate." She rubbed her face with a rueful smile at Reynauld that was a mix of relief and embarrassment. She wasn't usually wont to panic, but the dread stone face had unnerved her. She gasped as she spied Louise inert upon the floor, her body a ghastly array of unnatural angles.

"Oh no." Pale but calm, she lay her hands on the broken woman and channeled her healing energies into her.

CLW on Louise
    (1d8+2)[4]
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2018-06-18 at 11:13 PM.
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Bending over Louise, Simone's hands glow with the warm light of the dawn. Under the party's watchful eyes, the bones in Louise's shattered limbs shift beneath her skin, sliding back into place with faint scraping sounds. Unseen to all, shards of bone remove themselves from a punctured kidney, and dangerous swelling deflates to the normal flush of life. Teeth knocked loose in the fall secure themselves once again, and her nearly-severed tongue knits together. It devours the fullness of Pelor's daily gifts, but as Simone falls back with a sigh Louise's eyes flicker open. As she blinks to focus, a brutal hematoma in her eye fades to nothingness, and her first conscious breath comes without pain.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-06-18 at 11:22 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

18. - Top - End - #228

Louise

Louise groaned as she regained consciousness, Simone's magic thankfully easing the worst of the pain as it knitted her broken and shattered flesh back together. Blinking, her eyes came back into focus, and she struggled to find her words again.

"That... was not my brightest idea."

She grunted as she tried to pick herself up.

"Did... did everyone else make it?"

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"By the Sun's rays, we all made it out somehow," Reynauld replied, relieved that Louise had been brought back from the brink.

"I'm still somewhat unclear as to what exactly happened up there. One moment I was getting ready to climb up there, and the next the winds of Hell itself were blasting down that tunnel.
    It seems our route onwards lies below, rather than above."

He stood, and began to pace the cluttered room restlessly.
    "Blast! Another day lost. It would be foolish to try and press any further with Simone's daily miracles expended..."
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2018-06-18 at 11:39 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"Yep, we're all alive!" Corinne interjected cheerfully. She knelt near to Louise and wetted a corner of her blouse with water from her waterskin before wiping Louise's face clean from blood and dirt. "Glad to have you back with us. I feel a little bad about not seeing more of what the hallway did, but...at least you're all right."
    Last edited by Othniel; 2018-06-18 at 11:42 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231

Louise

Steadying herself, Louise smiled at Corrine's welcome back, then looked to Simone.

"Thank you, truly."

She then looked to Reynauld.

"What basically happened was a rather devious double-bluff on the part of whoever designed that thing. They put up the face as the obvious front of the trap, but then had a pressure plate a few feet in front of it as the actual trigger. When I stepped on it... well, you know the rest."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2018-06-19 at 08:24 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

Cordellia seemed disinterested in the healing process, her mind fully devoted to drinking the last of the spirits she had bought, and after turning the flask upside down to be sure she pouted softly. The warm glow of Pelor’s light caught the corner of her eye and slowly she moved to lean over Louise’s awakening body, and looked at her with consternation. A small smile crept to the corner of her lips as she watched the middle aged woman regain her faculties but it was quickly stymied by her looking aloofly away.

”You’re in good spirits. Splendid,” She stated with the slightest tinge of concern “Master Allustan would have been most cross with me had I returned to town with his factotum mangled and pulped.”
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

"No need to thank me, I healed you by the grace of Pelor." Simone returned Louise's smile and surveyed their surroundings.

"I can't say the thought of eating that snake is appealing, but it would be a shame to waste it." She paused for a moment.

"We should skin those wolves while we're at it."

Spoiler: ooc rolls
    Show
    Survival
    snake
    (1d20+3)[6]
    wolves
    (1d20+3)[14]
    #Notallinfluencers

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

Kneeling over the remains of the enormous serpent, Simone and Cordellia dive into the exciting world of butchery. However, for all their good intentions, the two women are stymied by the size and alien biology of the creature, their impromptu knives colliding with bone as often as with tender skin. An attempt to sever the head punctures one of the venom sacks, spilling rancid bile over the floor, and their fillet instead splits the creature's stomach. After half an hour of attempting to salvage their work, both concede total failure, and the mangled carcass is dragged outside to be burned by the frustrated elven wizard.

While lesser spirits may have been broken by such failure, the two nevertheless move on to the bodies of the slain wolves. One is so riven by sword blows as to make the pelt worthless, but the remaining three are intact enough to tempt the knife. Perhaps aided by their practice upon the snake, Simone's attempt to skin the wolves is met with general success, and while she fails to cleanly pare away the head she emerges from an hour of labor with three pelts in good condition. The gore of their work layering atop the gore of their earlier adventures, both are no doubt thankful for the provenance of magical cleansing.

The night passes uneventfully, with no further sign of the storm from earlier. Bellies filled with naught but cold hard-tack, you awaken to a hunger renewed. But it is not hunger for food, but for treasure and glory. Confident in the day ahead, the party returns to the Whispering Cairn to find it much as when they first arrived. However long lasting the wind from the stone face was, it apparently could not be sustained for an entire night.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld spent a good chunk of time the previous day combining his rope with someone else's, carefully knotting it until they had a 50 ft. length of knotted rope for any future climbing endeavors.

After a spartan breakfast and some exercise and stretches, the crusader was ready for another delve. Once inside, he lit his last sunrod, gazing at the bright golden glow with an inscrutable look on his bearded face. He then slammed down the visor on his helm and tightened his grip on his maul.

He walked to the precipice of the ruined shaft where the carpet of acidic beetles had erupted on their first day of exploration, peering down into the gloom.

"With the passage above and the elevator area trapped, perhaps we should explore down here? If we secure the knotted rope, I volunteer to climb down first and see what there is to see."

Show

We can probably tie the knotted rope to the lantern chain. Reynauld gets a 9 on Climb while taking 10, which beats the DC 5 of a knotted rope, or the DC 0 of a knotted rope with a wall to brace against.
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2018-06-21 at 02:06 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Securing the rope to the sturdy lantern chain, Reynauld descends the gaping wound in the cairn floor. What was once a smooth passage for the cairn's elevator is a craggy wreck, the stone walls around Reynauld so pitted and scarred he doubts he would even need a rope to climb them with ease. Soon, that theory is put to the test, as Reynauld's rope ends ten feet above the wreckage of the fallen elevator, the light of his sunrod illuminating an open archway leading further into the cairn. Taking hold of the shaft walls, Reynauld finds it is indeed a simple matter to descend the final distance, and the crusader emerges into an empty antechamber.

Dozens of bas-relief figures similar to the one on the sarcophagus lid in the room above stare disapprovingly from the walls here. Many sport crossed arms and stern expressions. A few of the statues’ heads are missing, and some have huge chunks torn out of them. Others have a weird melted appearance, as if they’d been sprayed by something terrible. A large glyph that looks like a stylized arrow points down a short corridor to the north that leads to a four-way intersection.

Show
    Reynauld has been placed on the Lair of the Laborers map.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

”I’ll accompany him. Make sure that he has some arcane assistance if need be. Wish me luck.” And with that Cordellia descended the rope with flirtatious grace.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

28. - Top - End - #238

Louise

As the party returned to the cairn, Louise could not help but feel some trepidation. The memory of her near-demise was all too fresh, and she was none too eager to experience a repeat.

Even so, Reynauld will need me. If there is a trap down there, I am the only one who can disarm it - especially if it turns out to be magical.

"I will follow right behind you."

Allowing Reynauld to descend first, Louise carefully made her way down. Upon arriving, she took a minute to observe the surroundings, then pulled a 10-foot pole from her pack while holding her torch in the other.

"Shall we move forward to the intersection?"

Show
    Louise takes 10 on Climb to move down the rope. She then rolls a spot check!

(1d20+6)[14]

If she spots nothing, she will move forward to the intersection, tapping with the pole like a cane.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2018-06-22 at 12:27 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

Wondering what manner of sinister deathtrap awaited them down this particular tunnel, Rae followed behind Louise - if nothing else, maybe she could carry an unconscious body back up. And if there was something down there that could be fixed with a heavy blade, then she was all for that too.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"I'm coming too," the Bard muttered quietly. Slowly, the followed the four ahead of her, bow out and at the ready.

Show
    Take 10 on Climb for 11.