New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dark's Age of Worms IC

Tapping along the floor of the Cairn, Louise approaches the intersection ahead. While little catches her eye, the factotum's keen ear catches something from the east. There is a subtle skittering sound from the darkened passage, interspersed with the heavier tread of something crunching against dried leaves, growing more agitated as the echo of Louise's tapping pole resonates through the still air.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Hefting his maul and bringing the light of his sunrod to bear, Reynauld strode forward, rounding the corner were the strange susurrus was emanating from.
    "What fresh devilry is this?" he muttered as he squinted through his visor, ready for whatever new horrors the cairn was to throw at them.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Rounding the corner, Reynauld's sunrod illuminates a room at the end of a short hallway. The north and south walls of this large chamber taper in somewhat, and in the nook of the far eastern wall rests a wide stone basin backed by a five-foot-tall shelf. A hardened orange paste spills out over the two-foot basin lip and covers much of the shelf. Thousands of tiny beetles with bright blue carapaces skitter and tunnel through the chalky substance. A keening insect chorus fills the room, emanating from a huge organic mass that completely fills the room’s northeast corner. Judging by the beetles spilling from within, it appears to be an enormous nest. Further inside the room, what at first seemed to be mounds of organic sludge shift on insectile legs, revealing a pair of six-foot long reflections of the smaller beetles infesting the chamber. Multifaceted eyes stare down the human interloper for a brief moment, before the two beetles begin clacking their mandibles angrily. The roil of legs grows more intense, and another swarm surges out from the nest.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Combat! Please place yourselves behind Reynauld in the Lair of the Laborers.

Initiative Order:
    Cordellia, Rae

Bad Guys

Corinne

Bad Guys

Louise, Reynauld, Simone
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-06-23 at 12:47 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

Watching the swarm writhe Cordellia tilted her hat, surged forward, and began to snap her fingers to produce a coruscating wave of fire.

”This looks like a job for fire. Actually, most things are solved with fire.”

Spoiler: Burning Hands!
    Show

Move to spot and burning hands
    (3d4)[6]
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeing another possible deathtrap ahead, Rae dashed in behind the wizard. "Don't just run in there, you'll be-" she caught something in the corner of her eye. "-flanked." The warrior had to pick her battle, and she would have to hope that Cordelia could hold out against the other insect.

Show
    Iron Heart Stance - Punishing Stance

Diamond Mind Maneuver - Sapphire Nightmare Blade
    Concentration Check: (1d20+4)[8] vs. target AC

If successful, the target is flat footed and I do another d6 of damage. If not, I take a -2 penalty on the following attack that I won't include in the roll below.

Power Attack: (1d20+3)[7]
    Damage: (3d6+6)[15] + (1d6)[5] SNB?
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

The sudden gout of flame explodes through the roiling swarm, scattering hundreds of blackened beetle bodies across the floor. Caught in the flame, the larger beetle unleashes a hissing shriek of pain, and behind it the nest erupts into a blazing inferno. The papier-mache-thin walls disintegrate into a choking black smoke, shrouding the entire room in foul-smelling miasma. Unable to see but aware of their prey, the remaining beetles hunch forward and turn their abdomens towards the two elves. The acidic spray that emerges mixes sickeningly with the smoke, coating Rae and Cordellia in a caustic fume.

Spoiler
    Show
    The burning nest provides Concealment to everything in the room for 6 rounds.

Rae and Cordellia are both caught in one acid cone each. Both must make a DC 13 Fortitude Save or take 5 Acid Damage. No damage on a successful save.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

First, Reynauld had to shield his eyes from the dazzling flames; second, he had to try his best to discern detail in the ensuing smoke. He steeled himself, took a deep breath, and entered the noisome haze.

Rounding the corner, he saw Rae engaged with a huge beetle. The crusader moved in to corner the creature, swinging his maul in an attempt to assist Rae in finishing the monster off.

Show

Reynauld will assume Martial Spirit stance as a swift action, then move and attack B2 with Leading the Attack strike.
    Attack: (1d20+4)[23]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[5]
    Miss chance 1-20: (1d100)[37]

If he hits, all allies get a +4 to attack B2 for 1 round, and Rae will heal 2 hp.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

Seeing as her shot was blocked (and the smoke didn't help), Corinne drew her longsword and cautiously moved forward.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

9. - Top - End - #249
    Firbolg in the Playground

Louise

She had heard it, back then, the skittering. And apparently the others had, as well, for Reynauld had charged straight in - and the group had happened upon yet more monsters - this time in the form of massive beetles.

Dropping the pole, she immediately moved forward into the fray, then dropped her torch and drew her bow.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    One move action to move to P18, then another to draw my bow, dropping my 10 foot pole and torch as a free action.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

Rae made a loud and undignified noise of pain and disgust when the caustic cloud hit her, but stayed upright. A moment later, Reynauld was there and the injury wasn't so bad anymore. Setting herself, she swore in elvish and swung again.

Show
    Sapphire Nightmare Blade Concentration Check: (1d20+4)[12]

Power Attack: (1d20+7)[19] vs. AC (vs. FFAC if SNB succeeds, -2 if it fails)
    Damage: (3d6+6)[13] + (1d6)[4] SNB

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

”That was my favorite jacket! You chitinous petitely brained brute! Cordellia seethed as she stumbled away from the creature and let loose another gout of golden flame towards it.

Spoiler: Five Foot Step and BURNING HANDS!
    Show

Fiiiiire!:(3d4)[7]
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

Unfazed by their sudden immersion in airborne acid, the two elves unleash devastating attacks almost simultaneously. While it is difficult to see the result in the heavy smoke, the insectile shrieks of pain betray the effectiveness of fire and steel, and the giant beetles fall motionless. It takes several more seconds for the smoke the clear, but eventually it exits through the natural chimney of the elevator shaft, leaving the room foul smelling but visible once again. Much of the nest is charred ruin, but in the southeast corner of the room rest three oblong lumps, each one coated in orange sludge.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-06-23 at 07:37 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

”Absolutely vile.” Cordellia huffed as she tried to reassemble some semblance of her demeanor from before. Wiping off soot furiously, she looked down at the unmoving beast, and slowly ran her rapier through of its many eyes.

Just to be sure.

Extracting the long blade, she took a deep breathe in, and exhaled a short sidereal incantation. Opening her eyes, they sparkled with violet energy, and she leveled her gaze at the oblong objects.

Show

Detect magic!

”Just as I thought. These cretins have sequestered away some of the treasure amidst their nest. Wholly ignorant of what it lay claim. There’s three distinct faint sources of magic in that sphere, a stronger one in that one, and yet another faltering presence amidst the shambles of their lair.
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2018-06-23 at 08:03 PM.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

14. - Top - End - #254

Louise

"Well, then, let's make sure that orange sludge isn't corrosive, or something."

Retrieving the 10-foot pole, Louise carefully dipped the end in the sludge, poking around in it a bit before withdrawing the end to see the effect.

Spoiler: If it does not appear to be corrosive...
    Show
    "Okay, just disgusing, then." Louise rolled up her sleeves. "Let's see if we can't get our hands on these."

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

”There’s conjuration magic about. A lackluster quality of it but present nonetheless. The rest I can’t identify. Keep your eyes sharp.” She commented as she went back to the entrance of the room, nursing her seared flesh as best she could.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone placed her hands on Cordellia's shoulders after seeing her sustain a savage blow from the giant beetle.

"Steady now, I've got you." She focused the healing warmth and let it flow through the injured elf.

(1d8+2)[6]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Cracking slightly at the touch of the ten-foot pole, the sludge proves harmless. Digging through the orange mess, Louise finds that the heat of the fire has hardened it somewhat, making the process akin to cracking through dry clay. Within each of the oblong mounds, she discovers the skeletal remains of old explorers, the three bodies still wrapped in moldering red leather armor. An eight-pointed star symbol marks the left breast of each suit, but any other identifying mark has long since rotted away. On the belt of one of the corpses, Louise discovers a trio of leather-wrapped vials tightly stoppered, while inside the belt pouch of another rests a strangely luminescent pearl.

Meanwhile, after a brief surge of divine energy mends her wounds Cordellia wades into the scorched remains of the beetle nest. Stymied at first by the profusion of burnt bodies and ashen debris, her foot eventually brushes against something solid in the detritus. Reaching down, she pulls free a mummified hand, its ring finger still bearing a silver ring inscribed with a feather pattern all around its edge.

Show
    One of the vials is the source of the Faint Conjuration aura. The other two are also Faint. The pearl is the source of the Strong aura.

The ring is the Faint aura in the nest.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-06-24 at 02:34 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Reynauld was pleased to see Rae bring down the last giant beetle; he had struck the side of its head in such a way that it left it wide open for the elf's claymore to finish the job. He took off his helm and wiped sweat from his brow.

" *cough* *cough* ...Delving dungeons! Not as glamorous work as they make it seem, eh? At least we found some trinkets in this mess. Let's see what's left on this level..."

Reynauld strode to the central hallway that served as something of a nexus, shining his sunrod down to see what awaited them to the east and south.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

Cordellia cooed as the light of Pelor pulsed through her body, her hair standing on edge for a moment, and her golden locks briefly flittered with radiant light. Seared and peeling flesh reinvigorated itself, knitting weakened flesh, and leaving her as hearty as before. Standing fully erect and confident, Cordellia brushed aside her trussels of beautifully managed hair from her left eye, and smiled genuinely down to Simone.

”Thank you, my plump pious pelorite.”
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone's smile in return was short-lived.

"Plump?" She looked down at herself self-consciously and measured her waist with her hands.

"Hrm..." She gave Cordellia a look of consternation and looked to Corinne for reassurance before she followed Reynauld onward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

The Bard shook her head at Simone's unspoken question and leaned in close to whisper, "You look fine. She's probably just jealous of your lovely toned muscles."

Clearing her throat, Corinne moved on and examined the insignia on the suits of armor. "These eight-pointed stars denote their membership in the Seekers. Bunch of archaeologists and pseudohistorians who explore and exploit ancient ruins and secrets. All for personal gain, of course." The Bard pointedly didn't mention that many of their current group was probably after the same.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Returning to the intersection, Reynauld's inspection reveals a number of clues. Undistracted by the onrushing beetle swarm, he notices the glint of reflected light to the north, as though a deep pool were just beyond the fullness of his sunrod's light. More pressing, however, is the looming shadow that passes briefly to the west before disappearing into the darkness. Straining his ears, Reynauld catches the sound of something large and solid impacting against similarly unyielding surfaces. There is a whispered hiss of frustration from the darkness, and the stumbling of multitudinous legs.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2018-06-25 at 03:21 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"Soft, friends. I hear something in yonder room. The vermin grow prodigious in these warrens, it would seem."

Reynauld approached the threshold of the room containing the curious slabs of stone once his companions had readied themselves, light shining from the sunrod at his belt, trusty maul at the ready.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

Slipping the ring over her finger, Cordellia prepared herself for yet more disgusting monsters with a casting of mage armor, and brandished her bow and arrow.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Padding down the short hallway, Reynauld's shining light illuminates the waiting darkness. Eight man-sized stone slabs, about four feet off the ground, are arranged in two rows in this large room. A long-dead corpse, possibly a human, lays sprawled out upon one of these slabs, his red leather armor the only hint of color in the otherwise drab room. The north and south walls taper in somewhat, and the short west wall abuts a small stone stage. The red clay statue of a powerfully built warrior wielding a cylinder-headed greatclub stands tall upon the stage, its eyes surveying the room.

Stumbling clumsily between the stone slabs is another giant beetle, this one even more bloated and foul than those already faced. Swinging around towards the sudden influx of light, it staggers to a ready position, unleashing a now-familiar hiss towards Reynauld.

Show
    The party seizes the initiative.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"Another dead Seeker in here. I imagine this beetle won't let us investigate in peace. May the sun shine down upon it!"

Reynauld strode forward to bring the hammer down on the creature, hopefully doing so in an inspiring enough manner that Rae could ignore the pain of her wounds a bit more, and repeating the same maneuver as before: leaving the beetle open to further strikes.

Show

Reynauld assumes Martial Spirit stance, then moves forward and uses Leading the Attack strike.
    Attack: (1d20+4)[23]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[6]

Should he hit, Rae heals 2 hp, and allies get a +4 bonus on attacks against it.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Corinne

"I hate beetles!" Corinne moved forward and drew an arrow.

Show
    Ready attack to fire at the beetle if it moves out of melee.

28. - Top - End - #268

Louise

"After today, I find myself quickly growing to share that opinion!"

With her torch once again in hand, Louise rushed over into the other room, then, dropping it at her feet, unslung her bow.

With any luck, we'll defeat that beetle before I even have to fire again.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

Rae didn't really have any witty commentary for yet more bugs. She rushed up beside Reynauld and, for lack of a more brilliant strategy, hit it with her sword.

Show
    Immediate Action on entering the room, Moment of Perfect Mind in place of Will Save: (1d20+4)[14]
    Standard: Sapphire Nightmare Blade: (1d20+4)[19]
    Power Attack: (1d20+7)[26] -2 if SNB fails
    Damage: (2d6+6)[17] + (1d6)[6] SNB

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Charging into the room, both Reynauld and Rae's bodies are assaulted by a sudden sluggishness. In a jolt, the dreamless sleep of the night before vanishes from their minds, replaced by a gnawing urge to lie down and rest. Yet even so encumbered, they persevere in pursuit of their quarry. The beetle barely has time to rear itself up before Reynauld's maul strikes true, knocking the beast on its side and presenting its underbelly to Rae's arcing blade. Split head to abdomen, the beetle collapses in a smoking mess on the stone floor.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.