New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Question Improved familiars dont have a "special"

i have want to take a Pseudodragon as a improved familiar for my 7th level wizard do recieve a special power as 1st level wizard would i.e. toad's Master gains +3 hit points?

If i do what would that power be and how would i convince my DM that i should recieve the power?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Improved familiars dont have a "special"

Nope. No "Special." His "Special" Is being a boatload more useful than a Toad.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

well, according to the Raw, you don't. The whole point is you gain somethign more powerful and more usable than a regular familiar.

What you could do, is figure out something fair that fits the type. (I.e. Weasel gave bluff bonus, owl gave spot bonus, etc.) and ask your dm for it.
    Spoiler
    Show

“I’m sorry, I’ll try to bleed to death more coherently” – Typha-knee (Exiern)

“After all, Nothing annoys the DM more than a moving target.”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

The special power is that it's a pseudodragon instead of a tiny animal. It's got blindsense and telepathy out to sixty feet. It's got poison. It's just better than a toad. Plus it looks cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Yeh ill try that but i am sure i will struck down the books are the recourse for a poor PC such as my self and my comrades as creative as my DM is... cruel and unyeilding is he also.

thanks for you advise! keep it coming!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

For my part, I don't require a feat for improved familiars; I just let you take them like a Druid takes an improved animal companion, just notching you down the familiar abilities table the appropriate number of levels (if you can't take it until 3rd level, you're -2 levels on the table).

However, for a pseudodragon, a 1st and 2nd edition Pseudodragon could extend its Magic Resistance to a chosen companion if they were in contact... though they seem to have lost that ability in transition, sadly.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

7. - Top - End - #7

Eh, just take the toad.

You're 7th level. Your familiar's hit dice, for the purposes of spell effects, are equal to your character level. You can cast polymorph. Need I go on?

(Though, personally, I'd recommend the rat or the weasel over the toad. The bonus 3 hp is better than wide-angle vision, I suppose, and it's nice at low levels, but 3 hp is just a drop in the bucket later on. +2 on one of your weak saves is good all the way, though... even at 20th level, that's a third of your base save.

And, seriously, it's a toad. How cool can you possibly be if your faithful animal companion is a frickin' toad?)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

furious Re: Improved familiars dont have a "special"

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    (And, seriously, it's a toad. How cool can you possibly be if your faithful animal companion is a frickin' toad?)
    Hey! You better not be badmouthin' toads. Toads rock!
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by the SRD
    Toad
    These diminutive amphibians are innocuous and beneficial, since they eat insects.
    That's their whole description. That's the Monster Manual equivalent of "Mostly harmless." They don't even get an attack!

Also, they'll give you warts.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Went with the Dragon. its telepathy has been a big issue last night it we were slung into a assains game and we were using the Pseudo as a mental translator for silent talk. However our DM the cunning bastard that he is has now started adding a pseudo flare in in his tranlations to other PC's.

I do like the idea of transfering the magic resitance to the wizard that will be a possible being that it existed in previous books.