1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default [OOC] AtS's Sunless Citadel - D&D 5e

Recruitment thread

Spoiler: Player List
    Show
    Name Character Class Background Text Color
    ProudGrognard Adamas Fighter Self-exiled Goliath who seeks to understand the customs of the lowlanders Saddle Brown
    MCerberus Carmina Syndel Rogue Orphaned tiefling rogue, born nobility, now an outlaw Fire Brick
    Mr. E Sarin Sorcerer Tiefling who steals to survive in Neverwinter. A recent victim of burglary, she needs to make a big score Grey
    Hemnon Camilla Woodstrider Druid Orphaned half-elf, raised by Moon Circle druids, investigating rumors of the strange fruit Green
    WhismurWanders Rurik Glahnig Bard Mountain Dwarf with dreams of rebuilding the House of Knowledge in Neverwinter, temple of Oghma. Works as a stonecutter for a High Elf noble who curates a private collection of lore Purple

Go ahead and claim text colors. I'll be using Bold Black for NPCs.

IC thread should be up later today or tomorrow, I'll post a link here when it's created. IC thread is up. Feel free to continue backstory mixing in the OOC thread. Any questions for me before we begin?
    Last edited by AtS; 2018-05-17 at 02:03 PM.
    My Games
    Doomsday Dawn (PF 2E) IC | The Sunless Citadel (5E) IC OOC | Legacy of Fire (PF 1E) IC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: [OOC] AtS's Sunless Citadel - D&D 5e

Going with green for speech.... gee what a surprise right?
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome dark heresy inquisitor avatar by Emperor Ing

Gender bended avatar by Emperor Ing

.... in her party dress, also by Emperor Ing

Epic imperial Guardsman by The Architect

Dingle Dongle Dangle - Do it at an Angle~

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Heya all, let's have a wonderful game!

Saddle brown for Adamas.

Is anyone up for a bit of backstory synergy? I will read the charsheets tonight and make some suggestions, if that is not a problem.

AtS, I just realized that I have substituted the instrument proficiency for a cartographer's tools proficiency. Is it a problem? I really like Adamas having maps as a hobby.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I'll snag Purple while I still can.

As to backstory synergy, I could see Rurik and Adamas getting along. Rurik has plenty of stories to tell about the "Lowlanders" and their history, and his knowledge of history means he knows a good deal of geography (a critical aspect of map-making!).

5. - Top - End - #5

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ProudGrognard View Post
    Heya all, let's have a wonderful game!

Saddle brown for Adamas.

Is anyone up for a bit of backstory synergy? I will read the charsheets tonight and make some suggestions, if that is not a problem.

AtS, I just realized that I have substituted the instrument proficiency for a cartographer's tools proficiency. Is it a problem? I really like Adamas having maps as a hobby.
    Yep, totally fine, fits with Adamasí backstory anyways
    My Games
    Doomsday Dawn (PF 2E) IC | The Sunless Citadel (5E) IC OOC | Legacy of Fire (PF 1E) IC

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Let's go with Fire Brick for Carmina

For backstories, Carmina and Sarin likely met each other at some point, either through a job, a misunderstanding, or just generally being in the same circles.

For the others, have they needed to acquire anything in the region near the city or had something go mysteriously missing?
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2018-05-17 at 12:15 PM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhismurWanders View Post
    I think I'll snag Purple while I still can.

As to backstory synergy, I could see Rurik and Adamas getting along. Rurik has plenty of stories to tell about the "Lowlanders" and their history, and his knowledge of history means he knows a good deal of geography (a critical aspect of map-making!).
    I think that would work very nicely. Plus, Rurik and Adamas both understand stone and mountains. I think it will form a nice mental image, the stout dwarf answering questions with the gigantic goliath!

Perhaps they have been traveling together for some weeks, having met on the road?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Let's go with Fire Brick for Carmina

For backstories, Carmina and Sarin likely met each other at some point, either through a job, a misunderstanding, or just generally being in the same circles.

For the others, have they needed to acquire anything in the region near the city or had something go mysteriously missing?
    Yeah, I think the two Tiefling's would naturally have met before, and I like the idea of them having done a job together. Maybe they were looting a posh nobles mansion, where Sarin's ability to disguise self might have come in useful?

I'm not sure whether she would have met the others, they all seem like rather more 'sophisticated' types, and less likely to be thieving in the criminal underworld. Unless, of course, someone else has good ideas?

Probably best if we avoid the group splitting into two matched pairs (and Camilla) backstory wise, but I don't have any great plans for getting around it.

Text colour can be my usual choice for characters.
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2018-05-17 at 01:58 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

HalflingRogueGuy

And the IC thread is up!

You each receive 20gp. Feel free to spend it on supplies tonight before you head to bed.
    My Games

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that would work very nicely. Plus, Rurik and Adamas both understand stone and mountains. I think it will form a nice mental image, the stout dwarf answering questions with the gigantic goliath!

Perhaps they have been traveling together for some weeks, having met on the road?
    I don't know if traveling together already would fit. Has Adamas ever spent the night in Neverwinter? Rurik may have run into him at a tavern, overhearing him (potentially) annoying fellow caravan-travellers/guards with all his questions. Rurik steps in, answers the goliath's questions as best he can, and since then the two are good drinking buddies. They know each other fairly well, but not TOO well.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    Yeah, I think the two Tiefling's would naturally have met before, and I like the idea of them having done a job together. Maybe they were looting a posh nobles mansion, where Sarin's ability to disguise self might have come in useful?

Text colour can be my usual choice for characters.
    So idea of how cooperation would have worked is Carmina would have a "jerk list", while Sarin would be 100% perfect for casing the place. If they needed help, an off-camera collection of underworld folks would come in, but otherwise the sticky finger part would be handled by Carmina. Even splits, everyone happy? The question would be personality clash/getting along. Carmina's outgoing in a big way, and there's any number of ways Sarin could react to that.

With two very recent arrivals and the two tieflings having been in the city until just days ago, there may not much of a chance. Maybe Camilla has in the past been around the outskirts asking for information about something? Rurik could have been looking for a book and then some good, fine folks could have found a pre-owned copy for him for a reward?
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know if traveling together already would fit. Has Adamas ever spent the night in Neverwinter? Rurik may have run into him at a tavern, overhearing him (potentially) annoying fellow caravan-travellers/guards with all his questions. Rurik steps in, answers the goliath's questions as best he can, and since then the two are good drinking buddies. They know each other fairly well, but not TOO well.
    Sure, why not? Adamas would not be annoying, but he would be obviously a stranger making simple mistakes. Perhaps Rurik helped him out and learned that they are traveling in the same direction? they would then know each other for the duration of the trip.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

So idea of how cooperation would have worked is Carmina would have a "jerk list", while Sarin would be 100% perfect for casing the place. If they needed help, an off-camera collection of underworld folks would come in, but otherwise the sticky finger part would be handled by Carmina. Even splits, everyone happy? The question would be personality clash/getting along. Carmina's outgoing in a big way, and there's any number of ways Sarin could react to that.
    Yep, being able to pretend to be someone else is pretty much as good as it gets when it comes to casing a joint. As a plan of thievery, I think it works well.

Regarding the question of personality clashes, I don't think it would be that serious, at least for now. Sarin's coldness and withdrawn personality are, at least in part, something of a front to hide any real emotions. She might pretend to be annoyed, but I suspect she'd actually enjoy meeting someone who seemed to be genuinely chirpy and excited (although she'd probably hide it behind a grumpy face).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure, why not? Adamas would not be annoying, but he would be obviously a stranger making simple mistakes. Perhaps Rurik helped him out and learned that they are traveling in the same direction? they would then know each other for the duration of the trip.
    That'll work. Rurik could have been returning from purchasing a rare tome for his employer's collection and come across Adamas when he re-entered the city.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Camilla would most likely not have met any of the others before, unless they are natives to Neverwinter and have spent a lot of time out in the wilderness or knows the local Moon Circle druids.

also: GM, I spend 5 GP to buy a Herbalism Kit... I mean getting a chance to brew a healing potion would be cool as a way for the local druids to earn a living that can be spend in town when needed.
    And since it's a consumable item that is at most a common magical item, it'd cost, what 25 GP to make, thus making it at half the price? like with how scrolls work and such.
    Last edited by Hemnon; 2018-05-17 at 05:16 PM.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey again,

it could be that I have missed it, but where are we currently? In Neverwinter? And how far would it be to Oakhurst?

Also, could Adamas buy a map of the area with this money? He will also make one of his own of the journey.

17. - Top - End - #17

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hemnon View Post
    GM, I spend 5 GP to buy a Herbalism Kit... I mean getting a chance to brew a healing potion would be cool as a way for the local druids to earn a living that can be spend in town when needed.
    And since it's a consumable item that is at most a common magical item, it'd cost, what 25 GP to make, thus making it at half the price? like with how scrolls work and such.
    Letís use these downtime rules from UA: https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/d...A_Downtime.pdf

So, yep, you can craft a Potion of Healing using your Herbalism Kit for 25gp of materials, in 1 day. We will handwave it and say that you guys have enough downtime for 1 dayís downtime action today.

Hey again,

it could be that I have missed it, but where are we currently? In Neverwinter? And how far would it be to Oakhurst?

Also, could Adamas buy a map of the area with this money? He will also make one of his own of the journey.
    You are currently in Neverwinter, and itís about 2 days foot travel to Oakhurst, or 1 day by horseback. And yeah, Adamas can find a merchant in Neverwinter with maps. One of Neverwinter and the surrounding area would run about 5gp for a basic map with a middling level of detail.
    My Games

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AtS View Post
    Letís use these downtime rules from UA: https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/d...A_Downtime.pdf

So, yep, you can craft a Potion of Healing using your Herbalism Kit for 25gp of materials, in 1 day. We will handwave it and say that you guys have enough downtime for 1 dayís downtime action today.
    Only 1 day? I thought it took like, 4 days to do.
    Sweeet.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

HalflingRogueGuy

Can I roll to see what exactly Rurik would have heard about Harlan Oster?
    Yep, roll Knowledge (Local), also in the future feel free to just make the roll instead of asking. If it's not relevant, I'll just let you know OOC - I think taking a proactive approach with this stuff will help the game run a bit smoother via PBP.
    My Games

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep, roll Knowledge (Local), also in the future feel free to just make the roll instead of asking. If it's not relevant, I'll just let you know OOC - I think taking a proactive approach with this stuff will help the game run a bit smoother via PBP.
    Since such a skill isn't in 5e, I'll assume you mean an Intelligence check. (1d20+3)[5]

EDIT; Not that it matters on a roll that low
    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2018-05-18 at 10:01 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

HalflingRogueGuy

Since such a skill isn't in 5e, I'll assume you mean an Intelligence check. [roll0]

EDIT; Not that it matters on a roll that low
    Yeah, whoops. Forgot about 5e's skill changes, been thinking Pathfinder recently... So, with that result, you think you've heard of Harlan before. You know he's a wizard, and he has some involvement with the College of Neverwinter, but that's as much as you know about him.
    My Games

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

GM, is there a way to make a skill check to... well, check if my character have ever heard of that fruit-thingy before or know anything valueable about it?
    Like, Int Nature or some such?
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

HalflingRogueGuy

GM, is there a way to make a skill check to... well, check if my character have ever heard of that fruit-thingy before or know anything valueable about it?
    Like, Int Nature or some such?
    Yeah, make an Int check with advantage.

Also let me know when you guys are ready to move the scene to the next day and Iíll do so.
    Last edited by AtS; 2018-05-19 at 08:22 AM.
    My Games

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Also let me know when you guys are ready to move the scene to the next day and Iíll do so.
    Carmina asked a question directly to Harlan if you missed it
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

(1d20+5)[14]
    (1d20+5)[13]

or if it's just int, then it's just +3 instead. thought you might mean Int (Nature).
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

HalflingRogueGuy

Carmina asked a question directly to Harlan if you missed it
    Thanks for the reminder. I think I got every outstanding question - as always, let me know if I missed something.
    My Games

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Aaah,I see. Ignore the question. Harlanw as waving bye bye, after all.

Adamas is ready for the next day. He will go buy a map and he is set.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Camilla will be sleeping outside the city btw, standing ready at the city-entrance that would lead off towards Oakhurst.
    Just fYI.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

I am all for moving on. But we haven't properly introduced with everyone.

30. - Top - End - #30

HalflingRogueGuy

Camilla will be sleeping outside the city btw, standing ready at the city-entrance that would lead off towards Oakhurst.
    Just fYI.
    Sounds good. The Driftwood Tavern is actually right by that city gate, so itíll be easy for Camilla to meet back up with the others come morning.

I am all for moving on. But we haven't properly introduced with everyone.
    Itís up to you guys to decide when youíre ready to move on, but I will mention that there will be more chances to roleplay during the trip to Oakhurst, so that could provide opportunties for introductions.
    Last edited by AtS; 2018-05-20 at 09:13 AM.
    My Games