Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17323334353637383940414243 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1271
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5e Subclass Contest Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by theVoidWatches View Post
    Last minute changes to the Hero, because a friend of mine suggested that it was too weak (particularly with the health backlash).
    • Instead of a health backlash, you can now grant yourself extra hero points by taking levels of exhaustion.
    • Hero points now return on a short rest instead of a long rest.
    • The three ability-boosting features are now rolled into one feature which you gain 3 times, allowing you to pick which order you boost your scores in.
    • Added a new feature at level 15, because people will now be able to shove the boost to their least-liked ability to 15, and would might be disappointing to get a bonus to a score you rarely use - it lets your ASIs take you to 24 instead of 20, allowing you to use your last ASIs (fighters have 2 remaining in their last few levels) to continue boosting even abilities that are already maxed out (or beyond maxed thanks to Impossible Physique).
    • Endless Heroism now also makes you function at one level of exhaustion fewer, adding more leeway for that part of the hero points feature.

The core concept and the major mechanics are still exactly the same, but you should now be able to do it more often, and without feeling back because of an unavoidable backlash (while still having a backlash to let you go beyond what's healthy for you, if you want).
    I kinda liked the backlash mechanic, but this works too. Also, got DAYUM does this sound powerful. I guess I really need to play it to see, but it feels quite stronk. Nice.
    Last edited by Phhase; 2020-07-11 at 05:35 PM.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phhase View Post
    I kinda liked the backlash mechanic, but this works too. Also, got DAYUM does this sound powerful. I guess I really need to play it to see, but it feels quite stronk. Nice.
    If my IRL friend and I are any judge, it's not overly strong, but will feel strong, which is the point.
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!

PEACH My 5e Homebrew, including...

Yet Another Warlock Rewrite (on GiantITP) Playtested Once!

Lycanthrope Base Class (on GiantITP) Contest Winner!

Vampire Base Class (on GiantITP) Full Class!

Inspiration Domain (On GiantITP) In Playtest!

Skinwalker Ranger Subclass (on GiantITP) Silver Medalist!

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

In under the wire once again. This time it's the Bardic College of Lanterns. The idea is they go beyond what is known in an effort to discover it.

Sorry I didn't get feedback up this time once again. I'm running an extra game lately and it's taking up a lot of my "thinking about DnD" time.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.
    My Patreon content. It's mostly setting development and short fiction about the adventuring party in one of my games in the same setting.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    In under the wire once again. This time it's the Bardic College of Lanterns. The idea is they go beyond what is known in an effort to discover it.

Sorry I didn't get feedback up this time once again. I'm running an extra game lately and it's taking up a lot of my "thinking about DnD" time.
    College of Lanterns is good stuff. My only recommendations would be:

Change: "When you deal damage with the produce flame or sacred flame cantrips against a creature within the lantern's bright light, you deal additional damage equal to half your Bardic Inspiration die." to "your proficiency bonus." Which should average the same #s but requires less math.

At 6th level, grant Daylight as a known spell. It's a ribbon ability bc Daylight is bad, but you could add to the capstone that when you cast it, it counts as sunlight, which is actually a huge if niche buff.

5. - Top - End - #1235

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post
    College of Lanterns is good stuff. My only recommendations would be:

Change: "When you deal damage with the produce flame or sacred flame cantrips against a creature within the lantern's bright light, you deal additional damage equal to half your Bardic Inspiration die." to "your proficiency bonus." Which should average the same #s but requires less math.

At 6th level, grant Daylight as a known spell. It's a ribbon ability bc Daylight is bad, but you could add to the capstone that when you cast it, it counts as sunlight, which is actually a huge if niche buff.
    Wow that was fast. I've made the changes you recommended. I was originally going to make the lantern light sunlight, but summoning sunlight with a BI die was a bit much for me. This is better.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.
    My Patreon content. It's mostly setting development and short fiction about the adventuring party in one of my games in the same setting.

6. - Top - End - #1236

Chimera

Haven’t been in here in a little while, and not submitting anything this time, but these look like fun! The Hero subclass especially feels like a stronger, more interesting Champion.

The only criticism I can think of off the top of my head is that the auto-crit ability makes a couple magic items uniquely strong, namely the Sword of Sharpness and Vorpal Sword. Being able to add 8d6 or 12d8/instant death to any attack (since the listed damage is doubled by the crit) probably makes it too strong, especially for the cost, and absolutely for the Vorpal Sword.

Obviously a very niche issue, but it could be resolved by changing the ability to “you may retroactively turn your attack into a critical hit”. Since the abilities on those two magic items only activate on a roll of 20, they would be unaffected by this ability.
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

And here's a rat for the road ~(,,_`;;'>

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Dwarf in the Playground

Good thought, I'll make that change.
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!

PEACH My 5e Homebrew, including...

Yet Another Warlock Rewrite (on GiantITP) Playtested Once!

Lycanthrope Base Class (on GiantITP) Contest Winner!

Vampire Base Class (on GiantITP) Full Class!

Inspiration Domain (On GiantITP) In Playtest!

Skinwalker Ranger Subclass (on GiantITP) Silver Medalist!

8. - Top - End - #1238

WolfInSheepsClothing

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...6#post24610726

Voting thread is up! Go in there and cast your ballots!

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1239

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hey guys, I didn't have a submission ready this round due to personal stuff that just didn't leave much room in my heart for any joy. That's over now, and I'm hopeful I can do this with you guys again next time around. Anyway, I don't really feel comfortable voting for the winner since I wasn't participating in the discussion, but I wanted to ask if anybody objects if I cast a vote for the next theme.

10. - Top - End - #1240

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    Hey guys, I didn't have a submission ready this round due to personal stuff that just didn't leave much room in my heart for any joy. That's over now, and I'm hopeful I can do this with you guys again next time around. Anyway, I don't really feel comfortable voting for the winner since I wasn't participating in the discussion, but I wanted to ask if anybody objects if I cast a vote for the next theme.
    Voting for the winner is open to non-participants too! But if you're not comfortable voting for winner, I'll accept a theme-only vote, yes.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

By all means vote! I would love to see more votes from people outside of the entrants.

12. - Top - End - #1242

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    Voting period has now ended, and the results are as follows:

In 3rd place, we have a tie between RickAsWritten's Froghemant Fighter and BerzerkerUnit's Mean Green Mother Patron, both of which earned seven points. According to tiebreaker rules (established in contest VI) the Froghemant will claim the bronze by earning more 1st-place votes. Be a frog! Or at least a frog monster.

In 2nd place, with 9 points, we have those bold and brave enough to plumb the depths, it's MoleMage's Bardic College of Lanterns! Make a really really nice lamp.

And our winner for Contest XVI, with 15 points, is none other than that craziest of clerics, nickl_2000's Madness Domain. Really embrace the craziness of the divine. No, really deep dive it.

Our winner for theme is The Band, earning 7 points through more 1st-place votes. Our runner-up is Refine Mayhem, earning the same number of points but with fewer top picks, so it'll show up in the next voting pool. The new thread will be up shortly, so keep your eyes peeled!
    The voting results are in! The forums are being a mite slow at the moment (hope we aren't having a relapse) but I'm working on getting that new thread up.

New thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...1#post24632281
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2020-07-27 at 11:31 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1243

WolfInSheepsClothing

I just posted the Disney Princess Soul of Song sorcerous origin. Comparisons can be made between the Divine Soul and Soul of Song, as both make another class's spell list available to the sorcerer, but that was kind of a secondary feature. Mostly, I wanted to cram in as many Disney Princess tropes as I could manage. Thematically "social" spells would be most appropriate for them, but there's no reason a Princess can't wield elemental powers against her enemies or heal/buff her allies (See: Elsa and Rapunzel) if that's how they want to do things. And of course the subclass is officially gender/nobility neutral (See: Aladdin) so you're not strictly locked into any one character type, as long as you like show-stopping musical numbers.
    Last edited by Damon_Tor; 2020-07-30 at 06:13 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1244

The Bardic College of Musical Theater is ready for PEACHing; it's, umm, something.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I will admit, I'm struggling with this one. I want to make something besides a bard, but I am having difficulty fitting my ideas into a particular class.

16. - Top - End - #1246

BlueWizardGirl

Put up a monk thing (Way of the Sublime Chord).

I didn't struggle so much with flavor, that I'm good with, and I think I formatted it OK. But the mechanics need PEACHing badly, particularly because I'm still working within a 3.5e design paradigm; I really don't know what's 'useless' vs. 'overpowering' for 5e, and I'm frankly not sure whether I incorporated Performance checks correctly or not.
    "Come play in the darkness with me."

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

17. - Top - End - #1247

Just posted College of Defiance! I wanted to really turn the "Mega Support Tank" into something awesome, and I think I might be close! The Chorus feature is something I'm proud of, it creates a cute little sing-along minigame for your allies! I wanted to capture that unstoppable feeling that really loud, awesome music gives you in a class. It might be a bit strong, though. Maybe.

And yes, you can be a Bard of Defiance if your instrument is a kazoo. Rage knows no bounds. Crits coming soon!

\w/
    Last edited by Phhase; 2020-07-31 at 02:00 AM.
    Phhase he played four
    Give a dog a bone

Show

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Posted my entry, Barbarian Path of the Battlesinger. First reviews will be coming out later today hopefully.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Shredding Barbarian is up. Big weapons, bigger hair.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post
    Shredding Barbarian is up. Big weapons, bigger hair.
    I'm interested to see and evaluate this one. A metalhead barbarian was one of my ideas on what to do, but I wasn't coming up with abilities I was happy with

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

The Avantguardian Wizard is up. Be a music snob. Bore you enemies to sleep, or play them your favorite cursed arcane vinyl.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Subclasses by RickAsWritten
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Warlock Patron: The Muse
    Show

Spells: It's a little odd that you are giving a 6th level spell since no other Warlocks get that, but hey things like that can be changed and its fitting to the theme. Although there are a few others in there that seem off theme to me, in particular Animal Messenger, Zone of Truth, and Locate Creature.

Love Songs: The singing and playing at the same time is a little bit odd since there are instruments that make that impossible (Flute, Panflute, Horn, and to a lesser extent bagpipes). However, we are talking magical beings, so why not :)

Lyrics of Love - I'm not sure on this particular ability. It's a good ability, I mean a really good ability, but only if the opponent has counterspell. It wouldn't be surprising if you went multiple sessions without seeing this ability trigger, which can be frustrating for a player. Overall it is probably okay since it's really good when it comes up though.

Infatuated Fool - The fluff on this seems off to me. They don't take you seriously, therefore you can cast counterspell? The ability itself seems great, but it doesn't feel right with the name and description. If they don't take you seriously, shouldn't they get a negative on saves or something like that instead?

Contagious Captivation. - The phrasing here is a little bit awkward and I'm not sure how some things interact.
    As an action you begin singing a love song. Is that song different than the level 1 love song? Also, how long can you sing this new love song? Can you have this active and the level 1 love song at the same time?

There are a lot of good things going on in this subclass and most of the abilities feel balanced. There are some phrasing issues and some things that need to be cleaned up or reconsidered.

Spoiler: Sorcerous Origin: Soul of Song
    Show

You don't mention level 1 for the first two abilities. Minor nitpick, but a clarity thing that is helpful.

Song of Destiny - Does this use a spell slot when casting? Also, are you required to maintain concentration on the song of casting? This feels like a charm affect as well. Would those that have advantage vs charm have advantage on the save?

That aside, this feels like an amazingly powerful ability (to the point of being broken). Up to 5 times a day I can charm all creatures within 30 feet of my PC and take away all of their actions for 1 whole minute. Considering that the average day will rarely have to many more than 5 combats, my default is to start with this and disable as many enemies as possible. Then my allies, who have cotton stuffed in their ears, kill enemies one at a time leaving the rest to twiddle their thumbs singing along with me. If it is considered a charm ability, I always take this sorcerer dip for every single bard (especially if you have an instrument of the bards). Honestly, this is powerful enough that I would take this dip for every single charisma caster in the game.

Fated Companion - Really, really fitting to your theme. I like this ability in general. A few smaller nitpicks.
    1) Can it attack, and if it does how do you control it's ability to attack?
    2) The fact that it increases your song radius makes a powerful ability even more powerful.

Regalia - Fitting and appropriate, although it does make for some interesting choices here.
    1) Gauntlets of Ogre Strength
    2) Winged Boots - can just be recreated if you run out of flying time
    3) Amulet of Health
    4) Cloak of Protection
    5) Bracers of Defense
    6) Robe of Useful Items - When it runs out of items you just make another

Since it's attunement free you are giving a significant power

But disadvantage against your song rough, really, really rough.

Reprise - Cool ability, but it needs a bit more or a limited. Even giving a 20th level Sorcerer an extra 5 fifth level spells seems like a lot to me.

I love the concept of this class, it's fitting with the theme and the imagery is really, really cool. There are some serious balance issues I see though.

Spoiler: College of Musical Theater
    Show

Musical Number - I'm not sure why the action to start and action to end. I don't see a lot of abilities here that trigger more than once that you would need to keep this up for more than a single round. Also, this would be odd to do in combat, but nothing is preventing you from doing it right now.

Sad Song - This is a lot of damage, I mean a lot of damage. A 10th level bard is likely doing 50 damage to everyone because with this subclass you are getting expertise in performance. So you have a DC of 1d20 + 13 + 1d10. Making a minimum of a DC 15 or an average DC of 10.5 + 13+ 5.5 = 29 (likely with advantage to get even higher). Even high CR creatures are going to fail this. Then you can literally do this 5 times per short rest, that is a flat out killer abiliity.

Versatile Song - This is also likely a guaranteed success on whatever you like (see the numbers above). However, since it's only once per long rest, that seem perfectly fine to me.

It's an interesting take, but there are some things needing clarification on how it works exactly.

Spoiler: Way of the Sublime Chord
    Show

Hello and welcome to the group and the contest. I really, really like your idea. You give the monk a lot of options that they didn't have before and it has great flavor. There are a few rules that you misunderstood and some significant balance issues that need to be addressed, which I will summarize here.

1) 5e has something called bounded accuracy. They balance armor class and attack bonuses pretty closely, enough so that the +2 to hit from archery fighting style is considered very powerful. So, be careful when you are giving bonuses to hit.
    2) Stunning Strike in 5e is declared after you hit. So, whenever I make an attack and hit, then I declare that I'm going to use stunning strike. So, there are some odd interactions with abilities due to that.

I've gone into more depth below. I really encourage you to take a look and keep at it. This could be an amazing subclass if some of these are resolved.

Muladhara/Root Chord (Red, C) - 6th level here, it is a little odd that this is tied to stunning strike since that can stun the person you are attacking. That being said, granting disadvantage for all attacks for multiple rounds is really, really powerful due to bounded accuracy in 5e. That will do a decent job of turning the enemy completely useless for the entire encounter. Also, you don't declare a stunning strike attempt until you have already hit your target, so the "if you hit" doesn't do much. This applies to a lot of other abilities as well throughout this subclass (bolding because I don't want this lost, it impacts a lot).
    17th level - It's a little odd that a Monk's spell would be tied to dexterity. Typically DCs for ability on monks is tied to Wisdom. This applies to all spellcasting. I'm not saying this is "wrong" just not typical.

Svadhishthana/Sacral Chord (Orange, D) - Level 3: Getting an extra attack here is a lot at lower levels (levels 3-9). Think of it this way, for the cost of 1 ki, at level 5 you are getting 4 attacks verses everyone else who only gets 2. Sure it's only 1d6, but that is still very high. However, as you level up this gets less effective.
    6th-so anything that gives you a bonus to your attack roll in 5e is amazing. On average at level 5 with a charisma of 10 you are looking at a roll of 13 (so +3). A bonus of +3 to an attack will really break bounded accuracy in 5e, especially if you have advantage for some reason.
    11th - This will make you go first 95% of the time. Not necessarily a bad thing, but giving that big of a bonus on a dex based class is significant.

Anahata/Heart Chord (Green, F) - 3rd - Fly maneuverability isn't a thing in 5e. The only modifier to flight is hover, which gives you the ability to not move on your turn without falling.

Vishuddha/Throat Chord (Blue, G) - 3rd - This fails something called the bag of rats test. This means that if you are allowed to heal fully or do something special by carrying around a bag of rats and doing it to them, then it needs to be adjusted. This isn't as bad since it's limited by your ki, but there is no reason you would punch a bunch of rats every time before you take a rest to heal people. A solution for this is to give temporary hitpoints. Since temporary hitpoints don't stack (If I get 5 temp hp, then I get 7 the 7 temp HP replaces the 5) you don't need to be concerned about this.

Ajna/Brow Chord (Violet, A)
    3rd: the regaining Ki part is technically abusable by another player provoking an attack of opportunity by a rat (or something similarly weak) or a friend and that friend uses strength to make that attack. In general, this can be abused to have infinite Ki. That being said, this problem can be solved by the DM telling the player to "quit it." I'm just telling you a way this could be abused by a rules lawyery player.
    11th: Blindsense is pretty powerful, especially out to 120 feet. If you could shorten the distance here it would feel better
    17th: 17th level, you get 17 Ki per short rest. Since this spell lasts 8 hours with no concentration you can massively abuse this ability by casting and then taking a short rest getting all your resources back. This is just a really, really low cost for a 9th level spell.

Sahasrara/Crown Chord (White, B) 11th monks already get this ability at level 14 just as a thing. So, it becomes useless after that point. Of course, nothing is forcing you to take this form after that though.
    17th - Whoa. Given a week of downtime, I can have 7 simulacrums running around with me at no cost? There is no reason I would do much else with my downtime than make copies of myself to run around and punch with me. If you want to do this, I can see it being cool but limit it to a single copy.

Spoiler: College of Defiance
    Show

Can't Stop the Rock - Interesting choice to give bards heavy armor at level 3. It makes for some very different characters since you need strength to be able to wear some heavy armors. Dispel Magic on a bard is powerful in general due to Jack of All trades. Two free castings of a third level spell per long rest seems like a lot to me.

The Wall - Choice of resistance at the time of singing is pretty powerful in my mind. I can look at an enemy and know it is holding a rapier and give everyone resistance from the beginning. This may be better giving damage reduction X instead to make high level encounters mean more.
    Distortion: I'm confused by the overkill damage being convert to temp HP. How does that work exactly?

The Only Thing They Fear is You - Why would you need magical darkvision if you have blindsight? Blindsight does everything darkvision does and way, way more.
    Chorus - Seems odd that they wouldn't get a save in subsequent rounds to end the effect. Everyone uses the bonus action on the first round and then whenever an enemy is knocked below half they are frightened for 1 whole minute on 1 failed save.
    Distortion - Ouch, this would hurt for a rogue or Paladin.

Good Luck, You're F#$%^'d - The passive ability here makes two weapon fighting style pretty pointless as well as half of PAM, but it's at a significant cost to you, so it may be fine.
    Distortion - As a reaction to what? Also probably should define this as a levelled spell because I can cast cantrips all day long with this as it is currently.

Rage Against the Machine - I feel like this is almost a guarenteed pass on the check. Considering you would expertise performance you are likely getting +10 to your roll. However, since it's using up a bardic inspiration it is likely fine.

Can't Kill Us - Distortion - Would this make it so no one ever dies? Also could I use this if I failed my 3rd saving throw from being attacked?

Animus Vox - Passive, wouldn't adding a +3 to your AC break bounded accuracy for this battle pretty badly? Although I guess it's at significant cost to you, maybe it's okay.
    Distortion - Reaction to what? Also, why wouldn't you do this all the time? You are concentrating on a boost for allies, you wouldn't want to be in combat.

Spoiler: Barbarian: Path of the Shredder
    Show

Deadly Instruments - one instrument becomes two weapons? That feels a little odd to me.

Sick Licks - The extra damage is killer with the two handed option. A barbarian doesn't really need a bonus action for much, so two attacks at 2d8 + str + rage and one at 2d8 + rage is pretty darn powerful at 5th level.

Burning Spectacle - Does this bypass the normal rule of not being able to cast while raging?

November Rain - Both these spell require concentration, which can't be done while raging. I'm assuming that is bypassed. Can you lose concentration and this spell, or is it only gone when you stop raging. Also, at level 14, you lose rage if you haven't "attacked a hostile creature or taken damage." Since call lightning is spell casting for your action and not an attack, would you lose your rage?

Spoiler: Wizard - School of the Avantguardian
    Show

Sweet Licks - I will admit, I laughed at the obscure musical instrument on this one. Can you also add in something that allows you to make that obscure instrument with a small amount of money during a long rest? That way the DM doesn't have to figure out the cost of a Theremin or a Double Contrabass Flute.

Wanna See My Collection - may want to define that you cast sleep as a first level spell here.

I don't see a lot of problems or have many suggestions on this subclass. It's a funny subclass that has some great uses and abilities. It's a good mix of tongue in cheek fluff and real viable subclass features

Phew, great subclasses everyone. If I didn't mention it while reviewing, I enjoyed reading them all.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    snip.
    Thanks so much for your feedback!

Deadly instruments
    Dual wielding your violin and bow or Drum Sticks, or tambourines was the intent there.

Burning Spectacle
    I think the default convention of specific vs General means the description of “when you rage use this feature to cast this spell” will sidestep the normal casting restriction. I was careful to say “use this feature for this spell” to insure it didn’t just backdoor all casting.

November Rain
    The feature specified the duration is extended, I’ll change wording to “normal duration replaced...” and i think “What Constitutes an Attack” can normally be boiled down to “will it break invisibility.”

RAW
    My Druid casts call lightning
    Your Wizard makes my Druid invisible.
    If my Druid calls lightning on a target, Invis remains in effect. I have not attacked or cast a spell. Same for Dragon’s Breath and a host of others. Most see RAI as “you try to do damage=attack” so I’d go with that interpretation for maintaining Rage as well.

And throwing 5d10 lighting AoEs is a fair trade off for the kind of damage you’d normally do.

Thanks again!

24. - Top - End - #1254

Can't Stop the Rock - Interesting choice to give bards heavy armor at level 3. It makes for some very different characters since you need strength to be able to wear some heavy armors. Dispel Magic on a bard is powerful in general due to Jack of All trades. Two free castings of a third level spell per long rest seems like a lot to me.
    The Dispel Magic is there because I wanted there to be a way for the class to not be totally useless if someone casts Silence. I just wasn't sure where to fit it in. Open to suggestions.

The Wall - Choice of resistance at the time of singing is pretty powerful in my mind. I can look at an enemy and know it is holding a rapier and give everyone resistance from the beginning. This may be better giving damage reduction X instead to make high level encounters mean more.
    Distortion: I'm confused by the overkill damage being convert to temp HP. How does that work exactly?
    That's true, but that's only one enemy. Smart enemies have more than one weapon/damage type, and smart enemies also don't attack the entire party alone. To use a fiend as an example, they often have secondary damage types like fire, ice, poison, etc, not to mention spells, so I thought that having to make the call of which resistance is best would be interesting. I might be looking at it wrong though, thoughts?

So, overkill damage is damage that would exceed the amount required to being the ally to 0. That damage is removed from your HP, and transferred to your THP (replacing any THP previously gained).

The Only Thing They Fear is You - Why would you need magical darkvision if you have blindsight? Blindsight does everything darkvision does and way, way more.
    Chorus - Seems odd that they wouldn't get a save in subsequent rounds to end the effect. Everyone uses the bonus action on the first round and then whenever an enemy is knocked below half they are frightened for 1 whole minute on 1 failed save.
    Distortion - Ouch, this would hurt for a rogue or Paladin.
    ...point. Mechanically, you're absolutely correct, but flavorwise, I've always felt odd that blindsight gives you no penalties to seeing fine detail and stuff. Strictly speaking, unnecessary though, you're right.

Keep in mind the opportunity cost of not doing things like casting Hex or using Flurry of Blows too. And when an ally "picks up the song", that just means that they get the effect and that is expires for everyone once thier turn ends. Someone always has to repeat the bonus action, or else the effect ends for everybody once the last person to do so doesn't. And depending on how beefy or dodgy enemies are, it might be some time before they reach 50%. That said, I think you're right about repeated saves, I'll patch that in.

Yep, it sure would! You too, if they're not frightened, though.

Good Luck, You're F#$%^'d - The passive ability here makes two weapon fighting style pretty pointless as well as half of PAM, but it's at a significant cost to you, so it may be fine.
    Distortion - As a reaction to what? Also probably should define this as a levelled spell because I can cast cantrips all day long with this as it is currently.
    Hmm, you might be right about that. Would it be too good graft the extra weapon attack onto the Attack action instead?

As a reaction on your turn, or whenever else if it's a reaction spell like Shield, sorry, should make it clearer. Keep in mind that even if, like Shield, the spell is one you could cast with a reaction without using this feature, you still have to use this feature and thus pay the cost (Not sure about that though. Might be hard to detail?).

Rage Against the Machine - I feel like this is almost a guarenteed pass on the check. Considering you would expertise performance you are likely getting +10 to your roll. However, since it's using up a bardic inspiration it is likely fine.
    Hmm. True. If it's fine that's ok though.

Can't Kill Us - Distortion - Would this make it so no one ever dies? Also could I use this if I failed my 3rd saving throw from being attacked?
    You can't use it on yourself, should've clarified that. It would reduce the mortality rate, but keep in mind you'd have to already be playing the song, and you become more vulnerable, since you lose the bulwark of THP. I think in practice, it would be riskier than it sounds, especially since you become a huge target for enemies. You might be right though, I can see where you're coming from.

Interesting note: In order to benefit from a Chorus, you have to be able to hear the Song. This means that if you're knocked down and an enemy takes the opportunity to block your ears, you won't get back up from the Chorus effect. It's not a balancing factor really, but I thought it was neat. Should revise to specify.

Animus Vox - Passive, wouldn't adding a +3 to your AC break bounded accuracy for this battle pretty badly? Although I guess it's at significant cost to you, maybe it's okay.
    Distortion - Reaction to what? Also, why wouldn't you do this all the time? You are concentrating on a boost for allies, you wouldn't want to be in combat.
    Perhaps I should cap it at 20? Would that work?

You might not want to do it if you want to be able to use Rage against the Machine or Shield, ]or another such reaction. That said, I should probably reduce the range of Song of Defiance, so that you have to be closer to the battle.

Thanks a bunch! I'll respond in kind soon, promise. Are the Finales ok? I wanted a cool capstone, and was worried it was too much at too early a level, but the Bard chassis is sadly not really made for epic-level capstones.
    Last edited by Phhase; 2020-07-31 at 04:25 PM.
    Phhase he played four
    Give a dog a bone

Show

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Spoiler: Wizard - School of the Avantguardian
    Show

Sweet Licks - I will admit, I laughed at the obscure musical instrument on this one. Can you also add in something that allows you to make that obscure instrument with a small amount of money during a long rest? That way the DM doesn't have to figure out the cost of a Theremin or a Double Contrabass Flute.

Wanna See My Collection - may want to define that you cast sleep as a first level spell here.

I don't see a lot of problems or have many suggestions on this subclass. It's a funny subclass that has some great uses and abilities. It's a good mix of tongue in cheek fluff and real viable subclass features

Thanks for the feedback! And the compliments. This was a fun one to write. I made two changes based on your advice. This got added to Sweet Licks:

"During a long rest you can call up your guy Bartholomew, your instrument guy. He will have a new instrument delivered when you finish the long rest, free of charge as long as you plug his shop. If that instrument is lost or damaged, you can have another one delivered at the end of a long rest for a cost of 50 gold."

And I added scaling to the bonus Sleep spell. 1st level @2. Maximized @6. 2nd level @10. 3rd level @ 14.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Subclasses by RickAsWritten
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1256

BlueWizardGirl

THANK YOU for PEACHing all of that, nickl_2000. Probably just flat-out going to incorporate the suggestions directly, I really didn't understand Stunning Strike (the way it read, it sounded like you spent the ki/made the declaration first, THEN made the attack roll, so all the Rhythm abilities need to be re-done anyway).

Also, I originally wanted the Performance checks to oppose something, so that the effect was a binary 'success vs. failure', but I just couldn't think of anything so the scaling mods were put in; now that I know about bounded accuracy I'll get all that out of there later.

EDIT: Went and changed quite a bit, hopefully it's starting to look more reasonable.
    Last edited by Edea; 2020-07-31 at 07:46 PM.
    "Come play in the darkness with me."

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

27. - Top - End - #1257

WolfInSheepsClothing

Sorcerous Origin: Soul of Song

You don't mention level 1 for the first two abilities. Minor nitpick, but a clarity thing that is helpful.
    Looking at it, this seems inconsistent among the published sorcerer origins' first level features: notably, the Divine Magic feature (which I referenced for obvious reasons) is missing this verbiage, as is Wind Speaker from the Storm Sorcery. I'll go ahead and add it though, since I can't think of a reason not to. EDIT: Change made

Song of Destiny - Does this use a spell slot when casting? Also, are you required to maintain concentration on the song of casting?
    It's like casting a normal spell except as noted otherwise, so yes you need to use a spell slot (unless you have a way to cast a 1st level+ spell without one) and you have to concentrate while casting it. EDIT: Wording changed slightly from "You can cast a sorcerer spell you know of first level or higher by singing" to "when you cast a sorcerer spell of first level or higher, you can cast it by singing". I think this should make it more clear that this is a modification to a normal spellcasting action (and thus subject to the normal rules) and not its own special action.

This feels like a charm affect as well. Would those that have advantage vs charm have advantage on the save?
    It's not a charm effect, it's fate/destiny being altered: reality is warping around the singer into one where people are singing.

That aside, this feels like an amazingly powerful ability (to the point of being broken). Up to 5 times a day I can charm all creatures within 30 feet of my PC and take away all of their actions for 1 whole minute. Considering that the average day will rarely have to many more than 5 combats, my default is to start with this and disable as many enemies as possible. Then my allies, who have cotton stuffed in their ears, kill enemies one at a time leaving the rest to twiddle their thumbs singing along with me. If it is considered a charm ability, I always take this sorcerer dip for every single bard (especially if you have an instrument of the bards). Honestly, this is powerful enough that I would take this dip for every single charisma caster in the game.
    This is intended as mostly an out-of-combat and combat-setup/prevention assistance ability. So I do want to close any exploits that make it too effective in active combat. Maybe ending the effect for everyone if a singing creature takes damage? Or, softening that change a bit, at least give everyone a free save against the effect if a singing creature takes damage? EDIT: Changed to make you take a concentration save whenever anyone singing takes damage, as if you took that amount of damage. This should make it more difficult to use this as a way to divide and conquer.

That said, I think you might be overestimating the power here. You have to spend a spell slot and it requires your concentration, so it's directly comparable to a spell: if there were a spell that required concentration and had this effect for one minute, it would be a good spell (especially for first level), but probably not broken. Consider: you've got to walk into the middle of your enemies (30 feet puts you within walking distance of most creatures) to get the full effect, with no guarantee that everyone will be affected (and anyone unaffected can break your concentration and end the effect). It also puts no restriction on the movement of the various creatures: if they don't like the things which are happening they can leave (though they'll keep singing as they go, since distance doesn't end the effect once its been applied).

As for the cotton in the ears tactic: I'll probably remove the hearing requirement from the ability. As I said before, this isn't a charm effect, this is destiny alteration, so there's not a good reason hearing should be necessary, strictly speaking. And I don't want to give players an easy way to exclude themselves from the effect. As there are few deaf creatures in the game (are there any?) this doesn't seem to actually make the ability any more powerful, except in some weird edge cases. EDIT: Change made

Fated Companion - Really, really fitting to your theme. I like this ability in general. A few smaller nitpicks.
    1) Can it attack, and if it does how do you control it's ability to attack?
    It can attack, and it follows your orders. It would have its own turn and act on its own initiative. Right now there's not a requirement for you to spend any of your actions to allow it to do so, though I'm open to including one. Comparing it to the Hound of Ill Omen for balance purposes: as a 1/4 CR creature as its base, it's not going to be as useful in combat (HoIO is CR 1) though has the relative benefit of being permanent and much more versatile.

2) The fact that it increases your song radius makes a powerful ability even more powerful.
    Sure, but it's either/or. If it's singing with you, it cant be using its actions for attacking or other things.

Regalia - Fitting and appropriate, although it does make for some interesting choices here.
    1) Gauntlets of Ogre Strength
    It's a stretch to call gauntlets "jewelry", but I would probably allow it. The princess runs from the ball at midnight and leaves behind one... Gauntlet of Ogre Power? Sure, why not.

2) Winged Boots - can just be recreated if you run out of flying time
    3) Amulet of Health
    4) Cloak of Protection
    5) Bracers of Defense
    6) Robe of Useful Items - When it runs out of items you just make another

Since it's attunement free you are giving a significant power
    Consider that at 14th level other sorcerer subclasses give free unlimited flight, so winged boots you can sing to in order to recharge them isn't at all inappropriate.

But disadvantage against your song rough, really, really rough.
    I'll probably cut that. EDIT: Change Made

Reprise - Cool ability, but it needs a bit more or a limited. Even giving a 20th level Sorcerer an extra 5 fifth level spells seems like a lot to me.
    I feel like this will feel less powerful if I can get the balance of the song itself where I want it. EDIT: With the change to how easily you can get knocked out of your song by any of the other singers taking damage, I think this helps to balance out this ability as well.
    Last edited by Damon_Tor; 2020-07-31 at 11:35 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1258

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'll try to get some commentary of my own on the current submissions tomorrow.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler: Warlock Patron: The Muse
    Show

Spells: It's a little odd that you are giving a 6th level spell since no other Warlocks get that, but hey things like that can be changed and its fitting to the theme. Although there are a few others in there that seem off theme to me, in particular Animal Messenger, Zone of Truth, and Locate Creature.

Love Songs: The singing and playing at the same time is a little bit odd since there are instruments that make that impossible (Flute, Panflute, Horn, and to a lesser extent bagpipes). However, we are talking magical beings, so why not :)

Lyrics of Love - I'm not sure on this particular ability. It's a good ability, I mean a really good ability, but only if the opponent has counterspell. It wouldn't be surprising if you went multiple sessions without seeing this ability trigger, which can be frustrating for a player. Overall it is probably okay since it's really good when it comes up though.

Infatuated Fool - The fluff on this seems off to me. They don't take you seriously, therefore you can cast counterspell? The ability itself seems great, but it doesn't feel right with the name and description. If they don't take you seriously, shouldn't they get a negative on saves or something like that instead?

Contagious Captivation. - The phrasing here is a little bit awkward and I'm not sure how some things interact.
    As an action you begin singing a love song. Is that song different than the level 1 love song? Also, how long can you sing this new love song? Can you have this active and the level 1 love song at the same time?

There are a lot of good things going on in this subclass and most of the abilities feel balanced. There are some phrasing issues and some things that need to be cleaned up or reconsidered.

Thanks!
    Yes, the language needs some clean up and clarification.

The spell choices:
    Animal messenger was intended as a romantic way to contact your muse, locate creature as a way to stalk the muse if the relationship is of a creepier kind, zone of truth as the muse charming people to speak the truth. A 6th level spell is odd, but irresistible dance is not on the warlock spell list and it felt unnecessary to add it on a separate feature.

Never thought of other instruments than lutes and guitars, so yes, there are some issues with other instruments :S unsure of what to do about it but will think around it.

Lyrics of love is as you say situational but it is good enough to be worth it was my intention at least. My first idea was that you roll for the effect of subtle spell or similar but that felt too strong and less interesting.

Infatuated fool; the idea was that they did not think of you when casting the spell so you get a shot at countering it. I will look over if I can tie it together better. One way would be to make it reversed of lyrics of love, lowering the calculated spell level of the countered spell when you cast counter spell, or ,even if slightly boring, get advantage on the first ability check using your spell casting modifier, after starting your love song. There are many options so I will think about it.

Yes, the last feature is intended to give you a second way to start your earlier love song feature with added benefits, so it is intended to have the same limitations as the earlier feature. Will clarify this.

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'll try to get some commentary of my own on the current submissions tomorrow.
    My own responses will come Monday to everything. I usually use a tablet on weekends and hate typing on it