New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5e Subclass Contest Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    *Is crushed*

There is nothing I can come up with that would have been more perfect for this contest than that combination.

I'll take down my entry and come up with another, but... yeah.

Edit: Okay, the illegal entry has been removed and I have a few ideas for 1/3 caster archetypes for the Fighter. Would you all prefer to see the Green Knight, the Holy Knight, or the Saturday Knight?
    I personally would like to see the Green Knight. There's not enough support for melee Druid/Monk/Ranger multiclassing as-is.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-09 at 11:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ettin in the Playground

Also if anyone is struggling with ideas you can make this for me.

Druid: Circle of Life

Steal some things from Life Domain for a Druid circle and make references to Lion King at the same time. This Druid circle has been on my to make list for months and I have no idea where to go with it.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

3. - Top - End - #453
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    I personally would like to see the Green Knight. There's not enough support for melee Druid/Monk/Ranger multiclassing as-is.
    Well, if you ever wanted a Druid-flavored Rogue, I did one of those a little over a year ago. Very heavy focus on the wildshape ability, so I may try to stay away from that with a Green Knight.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

4. - Top - End - #454

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post

Steal some things from Life Domain for a Druid circle and make references to Lion King at the same time. This Druid circle has been on my to make list for months and I have no idea where to go with it.
    • You have Goodberries always prepared and it doesn't count against your number of prepared spells. Allies can consume one of your Goodberries with a Bonus Action.
    • When you heal things from a spell, they get temporary hitpoints that last for the next minute equal to the Druid's Proficiency. While those THP last, Opportunity Attacks against them have Disadvantage.
    • When you heal things from a spell, that ally can spend their Reaction to move up to 10 feet.
    • When you deal damage to a creature with a level 1 or higher spell, that spell heals one ally an amount of HP equal to that spell's level.

Just some thoughts. A Circle of Life Druid would probably help people escape danger, or incentivize killing things. In my concept, I envision it being a "hunt" with highly mobile combat. Allies can use your Goodberries to basically get a pseudo-Disengage+Dash effect and get into ideal positions.

Now instead of Life Clerics taking Goodberry to abuse easy healing, now it's a full on mechanic!
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-09 at 03:35 PM.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

5. - Top - End - #455

Okay, hot off the presses (or at least my hard drive) just for this contest... It's the Green Knight!

Doing the Green Knight was interesting, because I'd previously done a Druid-themed archetype for Rogues that focused heavily on wildshaping and I wanted to do something else for the Fighter. I started with the spellcasting of Eldritch Knight and swapped wizard/Intelligence for druid/Wisdom. I then gave them some exploration abilities in the form of bonus proficiencies and limited Expertise at 7th level, plus proficiency in Wisdom saves at 10th, but the best thing was when I saw Shillelagh on the Druid spell list and decided to just go nuts with it. Screw not having a weapon. All of Nature is your weapon!

The 15th level feature was ripped straight from the Paladin's Oath of the Ancients which - not that coincidentally - are also known as green knights. Plus it fit with the tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, which I wanted to include a reference to no matter what.
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

6. - Top - End - #456
    Dwarf in the Playground

So I should note that Shillelagh is a cantrip, not a 1st-level spell as your Shilellagh feature implies.
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!

PEACH My 5e Homebrew, including...

Yet Another Warlock Rewrite (on GiantITP) Playtested Once!

Lycanthrope Base Class (on GiantITP) Contest Winner!

Vampire Base Class (on GiantITP) Full Class!

Inspiration Domain (On GiantITP) In Playtest!

Skinwalker Ranger Subclass (on GiantITP) Silver Medalist!

7. - Top - End - #457
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    The contest description says that theme or mechanics or both are valid. If you feel like you can defend it, you're probably okay. As a general rule of thumb I won't disqualify for broad interpretations of theme, but the further afield you go, the less likely people are to vote for it.
    Ok thanks!

I love the pun? or what ever this reference is! Hakuna matata!.
    Last edited by Fnissalot; 2019-04-09 at 03:32 PM.

8. - Top - End - #458

Quote Originally Posted by theVoidWatches View Post
    So I should note that Shillelagh is a cantrip, not a 1st-level spell as your Shilellagh feature implies.
    *smacks self* I'm good at details!

Seriously, I'll update that properly in a bit.
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fnissalot View Post
    I love the pun? or what ever this reference is! Hakuna matata!.
    I may still work on this myself and see if I like it better than my current entry.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

10. - Top - End - #460

Fixed Shillelagh features for Green Knight. Still can't believe I didn't see Shillelagh was a cantrip. Gave it scaling properties similar to damage cantrips (only increasing die size instead of adding dice because this is a Fighter subclass and that would break everything) and allows the fighter to auto-renew if they're holding the weapon when the spell ends as well as not ending if he lets go of the weapon (meaning it can be used on ranged ammunition like wooden arrows).

18th level feature lets the fighter cast this on more than just wood (no metal though) and on as many weapons as he wants (still 1/round).
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

11. - Top - End - #461
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

How many classes can we pull from at once? I have an idea for a paladin with a few features from across the board, as an Oath to seek continuous improvement and spur others to ever-greater heights as well(Oath of the Paragon is already a homebrew thing on this site, so maybe Oath of Endeavor?). I want to pull some of the Battlemaster supporting features(Superiority dice are great) with different maneuver options, but I also want to give a feature similar to expertise to symbolize the dedication to seeking personal perfection(and aiding others in the same) that this class .is intended to exemplify.

12. - Top - End - #462

Quote Originally Posted by Oubliette View Post
    How many classes can we pull from at once? I have an idea for a paladin with a few features from across the board, as an Oath to seek continuous improvement and spur others to ever-greater heights as well(Oath of the Paragon is already a homebrew thing on this site, so maybe Oath of Endeavor?). I want to pull some of the Battlemaster supporting features(Superiority dice are great) with different maneuver options, but I also want to give a feature similar to expertise to symbolize the dedication to seeking personal perfection(and aiding others in the same) that this class .is intended to exemplify.
    Relevant quote is relevant:

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    The contest description says that theme or mechanics or both are valid. If you feel like you can defend it, you're probably okay. As a general rule of thumb I won't disqualify for broad interpretations of theme, but the further afield you go, the less likely people are to vote for it.
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

13. - Top - End - #463

WolfInSheepsClothing

*Looks at theme.*

So I now just have to pick a class at random that's begging for some VMC'ing...

14. - Top - End - #464

Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    *Looks at theme.*

So I now just have to pick a class at random that's begging for some VMC'ing...
    ...but what do Visual Meteorological Conditions have to do with anything?
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Bust out your Robert Johnson Vinyls, because the Faustian College is up.

I was genuinely surprised no one had mentioned it, so I jumped on the concept.

Borrowed the Pact summoning from Warlocks, a less-powerful version of Hex Warrior (on a subclass without extra attack), Dark one's Own Luck from Fiend patron, and the Crossroads Bargain is a miniWish/super-magical secrets... with the downside of always being an Overchannel (from the Evocation wizard) that can potentially kill you
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Dwarf in the Playground

Golden's Instrument's buff strikes me as ridiculously powerful. You get to use your performance skill instead of Strength or Dex for attack and damage. It specifically gives you expertise with Performance. You're specifically replacing the ability modifier, not the entire check. So you'll probably go from

Attack = d20 + Dex + Proficiency (probably an average of +5 to +9)
    Damage = 1d8 + Dex (probably around +3)

to

Attack = d20 + (Cha + Proficiency + Proficiency) + Proficiency (probably around +11 to +23)
    Damage = 1d8 + (Cha + Proficiency + Proficiency) (probably around +9 to +17)

Your spell save DC isn't quite as badly effected since you're not changing out the ability modifier and you're only adding one extra proficiency modifier, but it'll still be +2 rising to +6, which is very strong.

No, it's not as crazy without extra attack, and if you're only attacking once a turn than the extra damage is vaguely comparable to Sneak Attack. But the boost to attack bonus is ridiculous, and since it scales off of proficiency you can multiclass after hitting level 3.

At the very least, you need to limit this to once per day.
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!

17. - Top - End - #467

Golden's Instrument's buff strikes me as ridiculously powerful. You get to use your performance skill instead of Strength or Dex for attack and damage. It specifically gives you expertise with Performance. You're specifically replacing the ability modifier, not the entire check. So you'll probably go from

Attack = d20 + Dex + Proficiency (probably an average of +5 to +9)
    Damage = 1d8 + Dex (probably around +3)

to

Attack = d20 + (Cha + Proficiency + Proficiency) + Proficiency (probably around +11 to +23)
    Damage = 1d8 + (Cha + Proficiency + Proficiency) (probably around +9 to +17)

Your spell save DC isn't quite as badly effected since you're not changing out the ability modifier and you're only adding one extra proficiency modifier, but it'll still be +2 rising to +6, which is very strong.

No, it's not as crazy without extra attack, and if you're only attacking once a turn than the extra damage is vaguely comparable to Sneak Attack. But the boost to attack bonus is ridiculous, and since it scales off of proficiency you can multiclass after hitting level 3.

At the very least, you need to limit this to once per day.
    Agreed. There is a reason why 5e doesn't allow expertise with weapons or saving throws.

As for the damage, cap it like Sneak Attack in that you can only get that damage bonus once a round and it could be fine.
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Ah, that is the issue - I basically wanted it to be double proficiency, not triple. I'll adjust the stats.

EDIT: What I did was remove expertise, lowering it to proficiency.
    This will get back down to "Double proficiency" to attacks, and a Dueling-esque damage bonus (going from +2 to +6)
    I'll just add the proficiency back into the saving throw so it is doubled there as well.

It also takes an entire turn to be skipped to turn it on, as opposed to the always-on Hex Warrior
    Last edited by Vogie; 2019-04-10 at 09:48 AM.

... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Dwarf in the Playground

Even without automatically giving expertise, Bards can take expertise with performance. Just say that you can use your Performance modifier to calculate attack and damage, instead of having it replace the ability modifier.

20. - Top - End - #470

I was thinking about the theme of this contest, and I wanted to know what people would most love to see in such an archetype.

Personally, doing the Green Knight made me think on the prevalence of adding a spellcasting archetype to a martial class so I'd be rather interested in seeing the reverse happen: Adding a martial archetype (Fighter, Monk, Barbarian, Rogue) to a primary spellcaster (Wizard, Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Bard).
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

21. - Top - End - #471
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think the problem with adding things onto full spellcasters is that 9 levels of spellcasting (particularly for the wizard, who has many of the best spells in the game) really doesn't leave a ton of design space for the subclass to affect much of anything. I mean, look at the various martial subclasses that already exist and how they affect play.

Valor Bards and Swords bards are still have primarily support casters - they can fight well enough to get themselves out of combat and to use combat as their primary damage if they have to, but that's comparing to vicious mockery, the lowest-damage cantrip in the game. A swords bard I played once ended up not really ever attacking unless someone got in close, in which case they would use either Mobile Flourish to get the enemy out of AoO range or Defensive Flourish to boost their AC to escape.

Clerics actually do okay with their martial subclasses, which I think is thanks to having excellent bonus-action spells like spiritual weapon to keep up their casting while fighting.

Mood Druids are kind of broken IMO, but that's a big argument that I'd rather sidle past.

Sorcerers don't really have a martial subclass atm, but you could consider Dragon to be the closest because of its HP/AC boost. Really just makes them a little more survivable though.

Wizards have Bladesingers, but that's basically a wizard with stupidly good AC and Con saves. Unless you throw in Shadow Blade and a SCAGtrip (dropping the SCAGtrip for extra attack when you get there), at which point you're kind of overpowered because high level Shadow Blade is really good.
    Last edited by theVoidWatches; 2019-04-10 at 11:01 AM.

22. - Top - End - #472

Okay, so posting that made me seriously think about how to do it, and then I went and made a Fighter-based subclass for the Wizard. It mirrors Eldritch Knight pretty heavily actually and eventually grants proficiencies any Wizard could get by multiclassing to Fighter.
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

23. - Top - End - #473

My reviews on what we have so far:

Spoiler: Pack Master Barbarian (My Own)
    Show
    I'm worried that the beast will become TOO tanky, and I'm also worried that the concept won't feel interactive enough, and I'm also worried that the mechanics are too "finicky" for a barbarian.

Spoiler: Skinwalker
    Show
    I am worried that there will be niche circumstances where the CR of a creature doesn't quite match its power level. For example, beasts were incredibly simple, compared to the options of Monstrosities, Fiends, Fey, Elementals, etc. I'd be interested to see how you tackle that. So far, though, it seems fine.

Spoiler: Enlightened Warrior Fighter
    Show
    I think this is fairly well balanced, and it does a good job of feeling explicitly like a Monk that's designed to fight in armor and use weapons. My gripe is that it's very...bland? And a bit weak for a subclass.

Consider the fact that a Swashbuckler in Medium Armor has roughly the same AC, deals 2d6 damage on a Sneak Attack, and can perform most of those early benefits without spending a resource.

Additionally, the abilities seem to prioritize both Wisdom (as a caster) and your attack stat (for Focused Strike), likely causing a Fighter to completely ignore one or the other (probably the spells, considering they're all Save-or-Suck spells and they compete with your Dodge action each turn).

I do think that the Ki points should be compatible with Monk's.

All-in-all, I think it's a great start, and it does a wonderful job of feeling like a Monk, without BEING the Monk.

Spoiler: Green Knight Fighter
    Show
    It's an interesting concept, but a bit too odd in its writing.
    For example, you add the Shillelagh spell, but then you also explain the entirety of the spell. I'd simplify it into something like this:
    You gain the Shillelagh Cantrip, with Wisdom as your spellcasting modifier. It has these changes:
    • The Duration of the spell changes to Indefinite as long as you hold the weapon.
    • The Spell does not end when you are no longer holding the weapon, but instead has its Duration changed to 1 minute.
    • At 5th level, you can target any wooden weapon with Shillelagh, and the weapon affected by Shillelagh gains +1 to its attack and damage rolls. You can also target armor instead of a weapon at this level, granting a +1 AC bonus. Items targeted this way cannot contain any metal.
    • At 11th level, the weapon affected by Shillelagh deals 1d10 damage, and at 17th level, increases to 1d12.

Additionally, it's hard to determine what exactly is "borrowed", as most of the mechanics listed are entirely unique. Specific builds may rely on Shillelagh, but there is no class or mechanic that does, or does something similar (I suppose the Forge Cleric comes close to what you have).

The rest of it is balanced, but...a bit simple. In the end, you basically hit things with a magic stick, and you continue to do so until level 18 (when you can now wield TWO sticks). It feels a lot like a Champion, in a way.

I know that a lot of people enjoy that playstyle, so I'll try to not let my bias get in the way.

Spoiler: Faustian College Bard
    Show
    Replacing stats with a skill is a bit finicky. Mostly because the official rules don't have you make a "Performance Check", but rather they have you use an Ability Score Check. It's not Performance, enhanced by your Charisma Modifier. It's your Charisma Modifier, gained proficiency because Performance is relevant in that Check.

The reason this is important is because Performance technically doesn't have a modifier or value. It's a Yes/No question, not a direct number. It's a checkbox that states whether your Proficiency is applied to things that are relevant for Performances.

I think the simplest way of doing the class would be to have it grant you Proficiency on Performance (or Expertise if you already have Proficiency), then allowing you to attack and deal damage with your Charisma Modifier and replace your damage roll with your Proficiency Bonus, then changing your Spell Save DC to add your Proficiency Bonus a second time (effectively Expertise on spellcasting).

The rest of it seems pretty good. Although I wouldn't be strict about keeping it called "Dark One's Luck", as you probably have no qualms calling it "Devil", when the reference is in your flavor text (and WotC probably did). Plus, keeping it with the exact same name as another feature (from the Fiend) would imply that the abilities were the same, and they aren't.

One big concern I have is that the entire class itself isn't quite..."borrowed" enough? Most of the class does have slightly borrowed aspects (Dark One's Luck from Fiend Pact, Crossroads is Wish + Overchannel), but I only know that because I'm a friggin' nerd. This FEELS like a unique subclass, so much so that it's pretty vague to determine what is actually "borrowed".
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-10 at 12:49 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

24. - Top - End - #474

Spoiler: Green Knight Fighter
    Show
    It's an interesting concept, but a bit too odd in its writing.
    For example, you add the Shillelagh spell, but then you also explain the entirety of the spell. I'd simplify it into something like this:
    You gain the Shillelagh Cantrip, with Wisdom as your spellcasting modifier. It has these changes:
    • The Duration of the spell changes to Indefinite as long as you hold the weapon.
    • The Spell does not end when you are no longer holding the weapon, but instead has its Duration changed to 1 minute.
    • At 5th level, you can target any wooden weapon with Shillelagh, and the weapon affected by Shillelagh gains +1 to its attack and damage rolls. You can also target armor instead of a weapon at this level, granting a +1 AC bonus. Items targeted this way cannot contain any metal.
    • At 11th level, the weapon affected by Shillelagh deals 1d10 damage, and at 17th level, increases to 1d12.

Additionally, it's hard to determine what exactly is "borrowed", as most of the mechanics listed are entirely unique. Specific builds may rely on Shillelagh, but there is no class or mechanic that does, or does something similar (I suppose the Forge Cleric comes close to what you have).

The rest of it is balanced, but...a bit simple. In the end, you basically hit things with a magic stick, and you continue to do so until level 18 (when you can now wield TWO sticks). It feels a lot like a Champion, in a way.

I know that a lot of people enjoy that playstyle, so I'll try to not let my bias get in the way.
    Thank you for your advice regarding Shillelagh. I'll go make those changes.

I said that I wanted to focus on things other than Wildshape after previously doing a wildshape-heavy subclass, so I did. That essentially meant 1/3 spellcasting progression with the Druid spell list, enhancing a martially-inclined Druid-only cantrip, and granting nature-themed skills.

Also, one of the features is straight-up lifted from the Oath of the Ancients paladin (at the exact same level even), who has a similar theme.

...I just realized I excluded shields in the enhanced Shillelagh description. I should fix that.
    Last edited by Crisis21; 2019-04-10 at 12:35 PM.
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ettin in the Playground

My reviews on what we have so far:

Spoiler: Enlightened Warrior Fighter
    Show
    I think this is fairly well balanced, and it does a good job of feeling explicitly like a Monk that's designed to fight in armor and use weapons. My gripe is that it's very...bland? And a bit weak for a subclass.

Consider the fact that a Swashbuckler in Medium Armor has roughly the same AC, deals 2d6 damage on a Sneak Attack, and can perform most of those early benefits without spending a resource.

Additionally, the abilities seem to prioritize both Wisdom (as a caster) and your attack stat (for Focused Strike), likely causing a Fighter to completely ignore one or the other (probably the spells, considering they're all Save-or-Suck spells and they compete with your Dodge action each turn).

I do think that the Ki points should be compatible with Monk's.

All-in-all, I think it's a great start, and it does a wonderful job of feeling like a Monk, without BEING the Monk.

Thanks for the review and the thoughts. I've modified the subclass to add power to it and make it more active overall (hopefully to make it less bland).

Changes:
    1. Changed the total amount of Ki to fighter level instead of half fighter level. Still thinking about half fighter level + wisdom mod instead
    2. Changed focused strike to add the wisdom modifier instead of a die roll to damage to make it more wisdom focused
    3. Increased Ki cost for all spells in Ki Manipulation, also added in the bless spell option
    4. Changed level 10 ability from wisdom prof to a more active ability of giving advantage to yourself and allies within 30 feet as a reaction with Ki cost vs Fear/Charm.
    5. Changed Ki battlefocus to add wisdom modifier to attack rolls instead of damage since wisdom mod to damage is part of focused strike.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

26. - Top - End - #476

Thank you for your advice regarding Shillelagh. I'll go make those changes.

I said that I wanted to focus on things other than Wildshape after previously doing a wildshape-heavy subclass, so I did. That essentially meant 1/3 spellcasting progression with the Druid spell list, enhancing a martially-inclined Druid-only cantrip, and granting nature-themed skills.

Also, one of the features is straight-up lifted from the Oath of the Ancients paladin (at the exact same level even), who has a similar theme.

...I just realized I excluded shields in the enhanced Shillelagh description. I should fix that.
    I was an idiot and forgot about spellcasting. Not sure how I pulled that one off.

After realizing how stupid I was in forgetting about that, it actually is a decent concept! It has a lot of similarities to the Eldritch Knight, except as a sustained Druid Bruiser. Nice work!

Thanks for the review and the thoughts. I've modified the subclass to add power to it and make it more active overall (hopefully to make it less bland).

Changes:
    1. Changed the total amount of Ki to fighter level instead of half fighter level. Still thinking about half fighter level + wisdom mod instead
    2. Changed focused strike to add the wisdom modifier instead of a die roll to damage to make it more wisdom focused
    3. Increased Ki cost for all spells in Ki Manipulation, also added in the bless spell option
    4. Changed level 10 ability from wisdom prof to a more active ability of giving advantage to yourself and allies within 30 feet as a reaction with Ki cost vs Fear/Charm.
    5. Changed Ki battlefocus to add wisdom modifier to attack rolls instead of damage since wisdom mod to damage is part of focused strike.
    I can definitely dig your changes.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-10 at 12:50 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

27. - Top - End - #477

I was an idiot and forgot about spellcasting. Not sure how I pulled that one off.

After realizing how stupid I was in forgetting about that, it actually is a decent concept! It has a lot of similarities to the Eldritch Knight, except as a sustained Druid Bruiser. Nice work!
    I've had those kinds of brain farts before. Such as giving that Wizard>Fighter subclass I was referring to earlier an ability similar to Misty Step without considering that Misty Step is on the Wizard spell list. I fixed that too.

Glad to know you like it! The Green Knight was surprisingly fun to do, not the least because of its ties to Arthurian lore.

Regarding the three options I put forth, I'm not particularly surprised no one wanted the Holy Knight (because anything that gets a wizard flavor invariably gets a cleric flavor at least asked for quickly, plus paladins are a thing), but I'm a little surprised no one even asked about the Saturday Knight.
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

28. - Top - End - #478

I've had those kinds of brain farts before. Such as giving that Wizard>Fighter subclass I was referring to earlier an ability similar to Misty Step without considering that Misty Step is on the Wizard spell list. I fixed that too.

Glad to know you like it! The Green Knight was surprisingly fun to do, not the least because of its ties to Arthurian lore.

Regarding the three options I put forth, I'm not particularly surprised no one wanted the Holy Knight (because anything that gets a wizard flavor invariably gets a cleric flavor at least asked for quickly, plus paladins are a thing), but I'm a little surprised no one even asked about the Saturday Knight.
    Maybe people were afraid to?

I'm thinking it is some kind of Bard-esc party Knight?

5th Edition Homebrewery

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Even without automatically giving expertise, Bards can take expertise with performance. Just say that you can use your Performance modifier to calculate attack and damage, instead of having it replace the ability modifier.
    Spoiler: Faustian College Bard
    Show
    Replacing stats with a skill is a bit finicky. Mostly because the official rules don't have you make a "Performance Check", but rather they have you use an Ability Score Check. It's not Performance, enhanced by your Charisma Modifier. It's your Charisma Modifier, gained proficiency because Performance is relevant in that Check.

The reason this is important is because Performance technically doesn't have a modifier or value. It's a Yes/No question, not a direct number. It's a checkbox that states whether your Proficiency is applied to things that are relevant for Performances.

I think the simplest way of doing the class would be to have it grant you Proficiency on Performance (or Expertise if you already have Proficiency), then allowing you to attack and deal damage with your Charisma Modifier and replace your damage roll with your Proficiency Bonus, then changing your Spell Save DC to add your Proficiency Bonus a second time (effectively Expertise on spellcasting).

The rest of it seems pretty good. Although I wouldn't be strict about keeping it called "Dark One's Luck", as you probably have no qualms calling it "Devil", when the reference is in your flavor text (and WotC probably did). Plus, keeping it with the exact same name as another feature (from the Fiend) would imply that the abilities were the same, and they aren't.

One big concern I have is that the entire class itself isn't quite..."borrowed" enough? Most of the class does have slightly borrowed aspects (Dark One's Luck from Fiend Pact, Crossroads is Wish + Overchannel), but I only know that because I'm a friggin' nerd. This FEELS like a unique subclass, so much so that it's pretty vague to determine what is actually "borrowed".
    Alright, some changes:
    • Added more flavor to make it more clear it is a pact with a fiend
    • Broke the Golden instrument feature into 2 parts
    • "Pact Instrument" now gives you the pact boon instrument, returned Expertise in performance, and provides an additional cantrip. Should make it feel more borrowed.
    • New "Greatest Song in the World" contains the performance action portion of the Golden Instrument feature
    • Changed Performance action's attack modifier to "Whenever you attack with a weapon or spell for the duration, you can instead use a Charisma (Performance) check vs the target's AC. If you hit with a weapon attack in this way, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for damage rolls."
    • Changed Dark One's Luck to Devil's Luck to further differentiate from Dark One's Own Luck.
    • Clarified that Bardic Inspiration has to be Expended to use the feature.

EDIT: don't want to overpost, so here's a time-dilated response.

Spoiler: Faustian College
    Show

First, props for stealing from Charlie Daniel's Band :)

I think Golden Instrument breaks bounded accuracy something fierce. I'm taking 3 levels of Faustian College Bard and take expertise in Performance at level 3. Now as an action at level 3 with my Bow I get Die Roll + Charisma Mod + Proficiency Bonus x 2 to both attack and damage. Since I've chosen a Half-Elf with point buy I'm looking at +7 to hit and damage. Now, by level 13 I'm looking at 5 + 5 + 5 for a +15 on to hit and to damage with multiple attacks before any other modifications. I don't see this character ever missing an attack, they even only have to roll a 10 to hit a Tarrasque. Although in re-reading it I see that it's an action and it only lasts until the end of your next turn, so that does limit it significantly.

It still would be very effective in those spells and attacks that you just need to stick. I could see a lot of times where this class would use this ability, then drop a massively upcast command or a Hold Person. If you wanted to make it even more silly you use this ability to replace the DC, then use metamagic from a Sorc subclass to twin a spell (then quicken a Booming Blade).

Dark One's Luck - I don't see why this needs to be only once per short/long rest. After all, you can already inspire yourself and apply the inspiration roll to your attacks, saving throws, or ability checks.

I've fixed Golden instrument - after the one-action performance, the effect lasts a minute, turns Attack rolls into Performance checks, and only +charisma to damage on weapon attacks.
    Bards can't inspire themselves. It specifically states "You can use a bonus action on your turn to choose one creature other than yourself within 60 feet of you who can hear you" in the class feature.
    Last edited by Vogie; 2019-04-10 at 02:05 PM.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ettin in the Playground

My Views from what we have seen so far.

Spoiler: Barbarian- Path of the Pack Master
    Show

I agree with you that this makes that beast to tanky. Take a Wolf at level 6 while you are raging. They get 26 HP, 17 AC, prof in ALL saves, resistance to ALL damage, all attacks are magical, and an ASI. That seems like just to much to me. Also, how does warding bond interact with your barbarian's natural resistance? Is it reduced by both the animal's resistance and then reduced more by yours? One other concern that I have is that the revised ranger beastmaster doesn't have 2 attacks, they have one and the beast has one. You should probably take away the barbarian's second attack for this so it doesn't end up getting silly powerful.

I agree that at level 6 all beast attacks should be magical, although I don't see any reason that your attacks should be. You can get a weapon just like a normal barbarian.

With guardian of the pack, I'm trying to get my head cannon around how this works. You reaction to someone taking damage (so the triggering event is that they have been hurt), if they are hurt badly enough you get to take that damage yourself. I'm just trying to figure out how this works in world, it seems kind of cludgy. From the ability itself, sure it seems fine, especially since it is a once a long rest ability.

Spoiler: Skinwalker
    Show

I will do more with this once it is solidified more.

Spoiler: Fighter: Green Knight
    Show

First thing is that it needs some flavour text in there. What is a green knight? What makes them special?

For Bonus Profs - you really don't need the "if they contain metal...." line. You can tighten it up by just saying "improvised weapon, containing no metal, and made from only..."

Overall you have A LOT going on at level 3. You get spellcaster/cantrips, enhanced shillelagh, learn Druidic, Prof in nature, Prof in Herbalism, and Prof in improvised weapons. Compare this to the other 1/3 casters. EK get spellcasting and weapon bond, AT gets spellcasting an Mage Hand Legimon (sp?). If you were to have only Enhanced Shillelagh it would be more on par with the design of the other 1/3 casters.

On the subject of Shillelagh, I personally would completely drop the armor/shield enhancement completely, it's an added complexity that I don't see a lot of people who are seeking to use this class focusing on. This weapon is on par or better than any martial weapon with Shillelagh at level 3 (not counting the +1 enhancement) and just gets better after that. That's enough.

Now onto level 7, here is a good time to give Druidic (that's pretty much just fluff) and proficiency/expertise in skills or the kit.

The biggest problem that I see as it is written is Nature's armory. You make all your weapons, armor and shields +2 magical items that last forever. You are looking at a natural AC of 24 not counting anything else that boosts you AC. That's pretty crazy high. Not only that, but given time to prepare you can do the same thing to your allies armor, weapons, and shields.

Spoiler: Faustian College
    Show

First, props for stealing from Charlie Daniel's Band :)

I think Golden Instrument breaks bounded accuracy something fierce. I'm taking 3 levels of Faustian College Bard and take expertise in Performance at level 3. Now as an action at level 3 with my Bow I get Die Roll + Charisma Mod + Proficiency Bonus x 2 to both attack and damage. Since I've chosen a Half-Elf with point buy I'm looking at +7 to hit and damage. Now, by level 13 I'm looking at 5 + 5 + 5 for a +15 on to hit and to damage with multiple attacks before any other modifications. I don't see this character ever missing an attack, they even only have to roll a 10 to hit a Tarrasque. Although in re-reading it I see that it's an action and it only lasts until the end of your next turn, so that does limit it significantly.

It still would be very effective in those spells and attacks that you just need to stick. I could see a lot of times where this class would use this ability, then drop a massively upcast command or a Hold Person. If you wanted to make it even more silly you use this ability to replace the DC, then use metamagic from a Sorc subclass to twin a spell (then quicken a Booming Blade).

Dark One's Luck - I don't see why this needs to be only once per short/long rest. After all, you can already inspire yourself and apply the inspiration roll to your attacks, saving throws, or ability checks.

Last edited by nickl_2000; 2019-04-10 at 01:53 PM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer