New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5e Subclass Contest Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    First draft of Final Hero is up. Feedback is welcome! Though I guess I don't deserve any, since I haven't commented on anyone else's entry... >_>
    Ask and you shall receive.... 8-)

Unreasonably Large Weapons: I like that this gives small races an opportunity to be badass. Reach is a strong feature to add to a greataxe, or to a 1h battleaxe with a shield, but as the first defining feature, I don't think it's too strong.

Crisis Mode: movement speed is minor and okay. Prof bonus is a decent-to-strong boost. I don't play many frontliners so I can't speak to how often it would trigger.

Hero's Angst: A great ribbon feature. Well done.

The Truth Revealed: I'd probably make this a d20 check (adding Str, Con, Cha, or whatever you feel fits) you make when you would gain the effects of exhaustion, with a scaling DC of something like 10 or 12+the exhaustion level to ignore the effects. Still more than likely to make it to those higher tiers, but seems less gamey than straight up ignoring them. Or a once-per-short-rest ignore one level of exhaustion feature.

Limit Break: is really, really, really strong. A non-Final Hero fighter can make up to 9 attacks at level 20 with Action Surge and TWF/PAM/GWM bonus action attack. A Final Hero can make 14. At reach. Probably with an extra 6 damage thrown in for free. I like using the name as a feature, but I can't really think of a way to limit (no pun intended) the power of this into something workable.

Chosen One: another huge feature, when you are probably already at 20 Str/Dex/Con, right before you get an ASI. Might just be me but it steps a little on the barbarian's toes, as they are the only class so far who can exceed the 20 cap with class features. Maybe you could put Limit Break here, and change it so that the +prof damage applies to all attacks made while Action Surging (maybe still too strong...)

I love your theme, spent way too many hours playing FFX growing up, and think your early features are solid. The last two give me a bit of pause in terms of power though.

In Bulwark news, the features got a re-shuffle and I added a new capstone. Original post is edited in the contest thread. Feeling a lot more Homeric now!
    My 5E homebrew thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...omebrew-Thread

Including:

• Path of the Reaver Barbarian (kill all baddies with TWF!)
    • The Bulwark Martial Archetype (become a human shield!)
    • The Sporting Wizard (because magic is for sissies!)
    • Headhunter class (poison your weapons, scalp your enemies!)
    • Mesmer class (Int-based melee, extra reactions!)
    • Shaman class (thunderbolts and lightning!)

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the comments.

Limit Break is too strong for 15th level, isn't it. Maybe I would have been wiser to build the subclass around it as a level 3 feature... but that would mean I lose some of the more thematic features in the mid levels. How about I take the extra bonus action away? That'll bring it closer to where it needs to be.

I'd also point out that all of the other features are below the power curve for martial archetypes - even the Chosen One capstone drew comments of "too weak" from my beta readers. So that should give Limit Break a bit of breathing room.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2018-10-15 at 08:18 AM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'll second most of pygmybatrider's comments on the Final Hero. Some thoughts / suggestions: I wonder if shuffling Chosen One to 10 (after all, it doesn't actually give you the increase, does it?) and bumping the others up wouldn't be bad. The Truth Revealed feels pretty strong to me, even if exhaustion doesn't come up all that frequently. It's not actually strong, but I don't like a feature that just ignores a part of the game like that.

I do think Limit Break is good. My idea for it would be to use after taking your action on a turn (maybe also bonus action?) and just drop your initiative by 20 but giving you an additional turn there. So basically you get an extra turn at the end of the round but have to permanently move there in the turn order. Does that make sense? Wording wouldn't be too hard, I don't think. I'm just concerned about how well it stacks with Action Surge--you use it and anything is dead. My other suggestion might be just to let Action Surges grant an additional bonus action, too, and make it where that happens with every surge (so it's "always" on).

I wrote up a Warlock Patron for this, but so many people have done warlocks I'm not sure that I want to use it. I'll post if I can't think of anything better--I think it's fine but nothing spectacular.

Edited to include feedback for a couple of others:

Path of the Mad Chemist I just don't like as a barbarian path. Mechanically, it's probably fine, but the flavor feels quite off to me. Fling doesn't seem too good except that it has a lot of synergy with allied spellcasters, and it just doesn't really come together for me.

The Bulwark seems solid (heh). I was misreading it at first and thought it granted a lot more cover than it does. However, given that 5e doesn't really "do" facing, I'd probably change the friendly creature benefit of Tower Shield to just designate a single adjacent square that counts as "behind" you. Aristeia seems fine to me, given it's a limited-use window.
    Last edited by Ivellius; 2018-10-16 at 03:11 PM.
    DM's Guild Work

5e Homebrew: The Circle of Progress, a druid circle about becoming a transformer - Winner of 5e Subclass Contest 1 - "It's Technical"

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

I appreciate your input Ivellius, but those changes don't really appeal to me. Shuffling the order isn't ideal... I put them where they are because fighter 10 ought to skew towards exploration and fighter 18 is more of a combat-relevant feature, you know? I'd prefer to be working with the convention rather than against it. If anything, The Truth Revealed just needs to be scrapped and replaced. I'm just not sure what with. And I was pretty keen on the name, since it's the title of the background music that plays in FFX during that one scene in the Al Bhed Home.

Making Limit Break give an extra turn and then shaking up the initiative order seems like it would be too much of a pain to implement at the table, even if the wording could be made watertight. And just making all Surges grant a bonus action is fine, but too boring to represent moves like Omnislash and Renzokuken...

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

Thumbs down Re: D&D 5e Subclass Contest Chat Thread

Maybe try tying "The Truth Revealed" to Second Wind, similarly to how Limit Break is tied to Action Surge? Something like:

The Truth Revealed
    At 10th level, you can reveal a dramatic secret that gives you and your allies the will to fight on. When you use your Second Wind, you and every creature of your choice that can hear you can choose to end one of the following conditions on themself:
    • 1 level of exhaustion
    • Blinded
    • Charmed
    • Frightened
    • Incapacitated
    • Paralyzed
    • Poisoned
    • Stunned
    • Restrained
    Last edited by gloryblaze; 2018-10-16 at 09:54 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, I'm in a reviewing state of mind so I'm just gonna run through all of the submissions, which I think I've failed to do the last two contests (and which I really should and mean to do every contest).

Spoiler: Mad Chemist
    Show

• Empowered Bulwark is clean and straightforward.
    • For Trailing Cloud, 1 round is a difficult thing to define in 5e. Usually wording is "until the start/end of your next turn" for features that last a single round.
    • For Trailing Cloud: Hive, what is the area of the effect if you are moving, and what constitutes not moving in game turns (once I end my turn, am I not moving until the start of my next turn, or is it if I don't move at all on my turn?).
    • Barbarians already get advantage on grapple checks while raging since it's a Strength(Athletics) check. Rest of Fling looks good.
    • Adhesive Bomb looks good as-is.
    • Why does Insanity Potion give disadvantage on Con saves? I understand Int and Cha but Con seems out of place. Rest of it looks good.

Overall, a faithful interpretation of source material (though Fling isn't a damage ability, I'll forgive it since DnD works differently) that functions within the expectations of the base class. Good work!

Spoiler: Bulwark
    Show

• Return of Tower Shield to 5e! Mechanically sound within 5e's more simplified maths. It should probably explicitly state that the bonus to AC against ranged attacks only applies while you use a shield.
    • Mighty Throw is an odd name for what this feature does, but the feature itself is fine.
    • I like Steadying Influence and Mobile Cover as-is.
    • Ditto Immovable Object.
    • Aristeia's GWM but with thrown weapons is just the perfect end to this class. It's other effects are good too.

Overall, a great subclass for the fighter that fills a niche that no class or subclass fills (throwing weapons) while also being a unique twist on the "defender" archetype.

Spoiler: Heart of the Cards
    Show

• Expanded Spells: I get all of these except Bigby's hand and detect thoughts which I will assume make sense in source material and I just forgot about them (it's been a while).
    • Card Shark: Simple but essential.
    • Spell Cards: So they're pseudo-random long-rest pseudo-spell slots? It's a lot of bookkeeping, but I like it as a mechanic.
    • Monster Card is good as an upgrade to Spell Cards.
    • Trap Card counts against the Spell Cards limit, yes? If so, it's good (though I think that playing them out of your hand would be better than setting them up at the start of the day).
    • Destiny Draw is good, but you had me worried for a minute there that they were getting two actual 6th level spells per day until I reread Spell Cards.

I can honestly say that I never expected this one. I've got a friend who is a fan of the game who I will definitely be sharing this class with.

Spoiler: Pinball Wizard
    Show

Rebounding Shot is hard to gauge the power level on. I think it's okay where it is, but it could maybe have more range or no usage limitations (but not both).
    No Distractions: What made you settle on 2, specifically? It's a good number, but the feature would look fine to me with any number from 1 to Int mod, so I was curious.
    Plays by Sense of Smell: It's good feature and I like that you've included the circumstances when it explicitly doesn't function.
    Never Seen Him Fall: Should probably specify that you learn/add the spell to your spellbook if it isn't already there. It could also grant permanent preparation of feather fall (a la domain/oath spells).
    Replay: It's a good feature, and since it requires both spell slots and has to be the same spell both times it will be limited by circumstance enough to keep it in line.

If I didn't expect the Heart of the Cards, I doubly didn't expect the Pinball Wizard. It's honestly well balanced and fit into the DnD worldset for how esoteric the source is.

Spoiler: Master of Masks
    Show

Oh wait this one is me. Any comments I had would be better implemented directly into my class.

Spoiler: Final Hero
    Show

Also doubles as roughly 60% of anime protagonists, so you know...versatile.
    Unreasonably Large Weapons: Reach sounds strong at first, but really you're just bumping a 1d10 to a 1d12/2d6. Opening up heavy weapons to anyone should honestly have been in the base game (why all the hate for halfling fighters/barbarians?).
    Crisis Mode: Sounds good. Proficiency Bonus is not my favorite form of class feature scaling but Cha mod wasn't a great fit either.
    Hero's Angst: It's a good ribbon with an amusing title.
    The Truth Revealed: Not sure how often it will come up (I've had maybe 2 cases of exhaustion coming up since 5e was a thing), but it's a fair feature since it doesn't prevent the "death" part of extreme exhaustion.
    Limit Break: That's... a lot of attacks. Wow. Personally I would have liked to see more specific effects, but there's way too many options to make if you're drawing from the sum total of Final Fantasy protagonists. This is a good one that falls into the framework of DnD well. The wording should clarify that it is optional when you Action Surge (right now it's the first action surge each day RAW).
    Chosen One: You should cause this to also increase the ability score chosen, similarly to barbarian capstone. Otherwise it doesn't kick in until the level 19 ASI.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    • Empowered Bulwark is clean and straightforward.
    • For Trailing Cloud, 1 round is a difficult thing to define in 5e. Usually wording is "until the start/end of your next turn" for features that last a single round.
    • For Trailing Cloud: Hive, what is the area of the effect if you are moving, and what constitutes not moving in game turns (once I end my turn, am I not moving until the start of my next turn, or is it if I don't move at all on my turn?).
    • Barbarians already get advantage on grapple checks while raging since it's a Strength(Athletics) check. Rest of Fling looks good.
    • Adhesive Bomb looks good as-is.
    • Why does Insanity Potion give disadvantage on Con saves? I understand Int and Cha but Con seems out of place. Rest of it looks good.

Overall, a faithful interpretation of source material (though Fling isn't a damage ability, I'll forgive it since DnD works differently) that functions within the expectations of the base class. Good work!
    • Reworded Chemical Tank to proper verbiage.
    • Removed the "moving" clause on Hive, as it was left over from a previous iteration. Hive is always a 5ft aura, while Chemical tank is what lingers.
    • Fling included the advantage of grapple for two reasons: to forgo any issues on whether or not it is different from an attack, and also to designate what happens with the second attack (as reckless specifies the first attack). If I just jumped to "on the second attack", it'd probably raise more eyebrows.
    • Insanity potion gives disadvantage on Con Saves because it's likely too powerful without it. Also, it drives you insane. Ideally, it'd give disadvantage on Wisdom, but that would probably make sure no one ever uses it ever.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hey guys, this is my first time doing anything like this, so I hope I did a good job with it. The Combat Medic fighter subclass is up and ready for critique. I'll try to comment on some other peoples' classes, but it may take a while and I'm not sure how good it'd be since I'm pretty new to all this.
    Anyway, here's my thoughts and concerns on the Combat Medic's abilities:

Combat Medicine: This one is pretty straightforward, so my only real concern would be the pseudo expertise, is that too much? Probably not, but it doesn’t hurt asking.
    Combat Superiority: I really liked using this since it was a ready made and stable base to build the class’s core abilities from, my only concern would be that since some people think the battle master is overpowered whether that might have skewed the power level of this class too.
    Rough Healer: This is signature ability of the class, and is worded so that it can even replace an opportunity attack, but it is also worded so that it itself is not an attack and won’t trigger a lot of other abilities. It’d probably be DM dependent on whether you could use two weapon fighting with an attack action that was used entirely on this ability, potentially being able to heal twice a turn right of the bat. My main concern is how it scales at different levels; is it too strong at low levels but too weak at the higher ones? Too resource hungry?
    Imposing Defender: A really great thematic ability with some fun roleplay possibilities, but I worry that I might have made it too powerful. Should I limit it to a single ally instead? Or maybe a number of allies equal to or less than your wisdom modifier? It might not step on protection style’s toes as much that way too, but I didn’t think that’d be too much of an issue given that it’s an ability based on a limited resource. Both of those solutions would also limit the amount of abuse flying PCs, such as feral winged tieflings at low levels, could get out of it too.
    Staunch the Bleeding: While not it’s only use, the main use of this ability is for death saving throws, which is one reason why I left the wisdom modifier off this one. It’s a pretty powerful ability, but it’s also pretty limited, so I don’t see anything wrong with it, but you might be able to find some potential abuses.
    Reckless Rush: I really like this ability both mechanically and roleplay wise. There’s just so much you could do with it in character, anything from screaming in fury to strike down your comrade’s attacker or shove them off a cliff, to desperately trying to get to your friend’s side to save them before it’s too late. At the same time it’s also pretty powerful, making me wonder if limiting it with the wisdom modifier was enough or if I should take it down to once per short rest, or even once per long rest.
    "Now get on your flying boat and stop a crazy dwarf vampire from committing election fraud!"

www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1025.html

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Just a little under four days left for last minute-entries, edits, and what-have-you.

Anyone have any feedback for the Maker of Masks patron?

Also a friendly reminder that we're coming up on contest 5 already! Still planning to do the "least popular class with any of the last four themes" as the theme for contest 5, but if you have other "milestone" suggestions I'd love to hear them too!
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

FIVE GOLD RINGS! - Christmas theme
    Bunch of Fives - classes focussed on unarmed fighting
    Five Star - could relate to luxury or high rank
    Five Year Plan - industrial theme
    Five-a-Side - sports theme

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

11. - Top - End - #221

BlueKnightGuy

Didn't have time to do too much else this month, so I'll leave this up for brief response before it closes: Gluttony Domain or Headless Spook Patron? The latter is more closely based on something, I guess (though it's not as interesting mechanically); Gluttony is kinda based on Tahm Kench from League of Legends / Gluttony from FMA but not real close to any specific character. I think it's much more innovative, though.
    DM's Guild Work

5e Homebrew: The Circle of Progress, a druid circle about becoming a transformer - Winner of 5e Subclass Contest 1 - "It's Technical"

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    Just a little under four days left for last minute-entries, edits, and what-have-you.

Anyone have any feedback for the Maker of Masks patron?

Also a friendly reminder that we're coming up on contest 5 already! Still planning to do the "least popular class with any of the last four themes" as the theme for contest 5, but if you have other "milestone" suggestions I'd love to hear them too!
    Might be a little late, but here it is:

Spoiler: Maker of Masks
    Show

I've never played the Zelda games so I can't really comment on thematics, but the fluff blurb sounds really interesting - here's my take on the mechanics.

Expanded Spells: all seems to be in order. A few utility options which is always nice for a lock.

Maker of Masks: seems like an interesting way to boost your skillmonkeyness/out-of-combat utility, as well as a unique way of scaling via pact magic slot level + Cha mod.

Empty Face: a power boost for masks. Will definitely come in handy for a masklock low on HP or facing a Hold Person/Feeblemind. I assume this is the 6th level feature, but it doesn't say so.

Masksoul: I'm really enjoying the level-up nature of this tree, with each feature improving/adding utility to your masks.

Perfected Masks: a solid capstone feature. While this is always-on, it's also competing with things features like Hurl Through Hell. I'd be tempted to buff many of the options - e.g. Sagely grants +2 to spell attack rolls or a straight +1 to damage (so 4 damage @ 17 w 4 EB rays), Swift could have a BA Dash or Disengage option etc.

New Invocations: It feels like Majora's Curse should have a min: level 5 on it, if only to prevent multiclass abuse. I think the line about "this mask not counting towards your number of masks" is in the wrong section too.

Definitely looks fun to play. Also makes the Zelda games seem creepier than I've ever thought. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivellius View Post
    Didn't have time to do too much else this month, so I'll leave this up for brief response before it closes: Gluttony Domain or Headless Spook Patron? The latter is more closely based on something, I guess (though it's not as interesting mechanically); Gluttony is kinda based on Tahm Kench from League of Legends / Gluttony from FMA but not real close to any specific character. I think it's much more innovative, though.
    Gluttony sounds really interesting, something I haven't seen in a Cleric domain (or any other subclass) before. I'm unfamiliar with either of your examples, but there are plenty of gluttonous characters in literature to justify its place in this contest - Rendara from Conan the Barbarian, Baron Harkonnen from Dune, Rufus from Street Fighter, the pigs from Animal Farm, Jabba the Hutt...

In Bulwark news, I've updated my post in the contest thread with the final version. I changed Mighty Throw, as the way it was written it had no effect for a non-dual wielding thrown weapon user, and the Bulwark will ideally always be using a javelin+shield. It became GWM but for thrown weapons, giving Bulwarks a good offensive and defensive base from the get-go, and Aristeia got prof. bonus to damage for the minute instead of the GWM option. Artwork also got updated to something more dynamic and less textbooky, if less Ajax-the-Greaty.

Including:

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pygmybatrider View Post
    Might be a little late, but here it is:

I've never played the Zelda games so I can't really comment on thematics, but the fluff blurb sounds really interesting - here's my take on the mechanics.

Definitely looks fun to play. Also makes the Zelda games seem creepier than I've ever thought. Good job!

I corrected the formatting concerns and moved Majora's Curse to 5th level (and added that this patron is a prerequisite for all of the new invocations). I didn't upgrade Perfected Masks, just because the amount of versatility and the fact that all of these bonuses stack with things like Rod of the Pact Keeper, magic gear, etc.

I will point out that really, the games overall aren't...this creepy. They all have their moments, but even the Happy Mask Salesman who inspired this subclass has his creepiness played up by fans (he's still pretty creepy though). Majora's Mask (the game, not the item) is a little heavier on the creepy fare than the others though.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Voting thread is up!

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...8#post23469858

Since the next contest is a mini-milestone, the number of theme options is expanded. I took two of Ninja_Prawn's "five"-based suggestions above, plus the Odd Man Out (it wasn't rangers, it was paladins) idea, and mixed it with three from our standard list.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

I'm surprised no one else came up with any 'five' themes. You guys are supposed to be creative types!

Anyway. I'm gonna go ahead and kick off that slapdash contest, even though only one person expressed an interest. Who's ready to reach for the stars?

I don't enter my own contests as a rule, but I will make an exception for this one if there are fewer than 3 entrants this time tomorrow.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm surprised no one else came up with any 'five' themes. You guys are supposed to be creative types!

Anyway. I'm gonna go ahead and kick off that slapdash contest, even though only one person expressed an interest. Who's ready to reach for the stars?

I don't enter my own contests as a rule, but I will make an exception for this one if there are fewer than 3 entrants this time tomorrow.
    I did ask for milestone suggestions kinda late in this cycle. I'll remember to start taking them earlier if we get to 10 and still have a decent amount of steam.

And I'm working on a Sorcerous Origin for your slapdash contest. I don't remember if I responded interest but I had interest.

EDIT: It's posted. It isn't inspired, but I think it works (and I still have 48 hours to make edits if it doesn't).
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2018-10-29 at 04:29 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

Love the idea of this contest. Been wracking my brain this morning for something star-related - I thought maybe a Balance-style Druid circle, but after the shaman I need a break from WoW-inspired homebrew. Maybe a David Bowie-style “star power” Bard, but that seems a little on the nose.

I think I have a couple ideas for a more literal interpretation of the theme - focusing on the “reach” part. A “Way of the Yogi” monk based on Dhalsim from Street Fighter - who can actually reeeeeeach for the stars - or maybe a rogue subclass focussed on reaching places they shouldn’t through things like grappling hooks and macguyvered rebreathers.

Will sit down later on while bub has a nap and see how much I can get through!

In other news, voting for this thread is a tough split again - there are 4 entries I really like that are competing for places. Voting might have to take a backseat til this new competition is over!

EDIT: just submitted my Oath of the Eclipse to the slapdash contest - I think I was subconsciously pushed towards it by the lack of paladin oaths in the other contests. I'll be damned if the Team Rocket rogue doesn't take the cake though - that was inspired.
    Last edited by pygmybatrider; 2018-10-29 at 10:03 PM.

Including:

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ahhhh, indecision! For the slapdash contest, I have revisited the reaches-difficult-places rogue, and I think I love it - the theme, the feel, how it would play...The Oath of the Eclipse Paladin is probably more mechanically sound, though...11 hours to decide....what to do, what to do....
    Last edited by pygmybatrider; 2018-10-31 at 08:27 AM.

Including:

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

This is super-fun, thanks!
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

I have to say, the response has been much better than I expected.

Well, it's about time I voted on the main contest. Or at least read over the entries...

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

21. - Top - End - #231
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by man_over_game View Post
    way of the moon walker:
    level 3: Star step:
    level 6: Starfall:
    Shooting star strike
    level 17: Mastery of moonlight:
    Quote Originally Posted by unavenger View Post
    shooting star conclave
    sword of the arcane order
    weavespeak
    shooting star strike
    spell shatter
    starlight vision
    starstorm
    And THEN, A RIVALRY WAS BORN!
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

22. - Top - End - #232

WolfInSheepsClothing

And THEN, A RIVALRY WAS BORN!
    Ha, I didn't even notice until you mentioned it! I was rushing to get the subclass done before I had to go to sleep, so I slapped together a bunch of Shooting Star and Mystic Fire abilities, and the Sword of the Arcane Order feat, from 3.5 and then made up a couple of others to fill in the rest of the space. Hope it's ended up decent...

23. - Top - End - #233

Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    Ha, I didn't even notice until you mentioned it! I was rushing to get the subclass done before I had to go to sleep, so I slapped together a bunch of Shooting Star and Mystic Fire abilities, and the Sword of the Arcane Order feat, from 3.5 and then made up a couple of others to fill in the rest of the space. Hope it's ended up decent...
    @Unavenger I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there's a chance that it might be disqualified, due to the fact that it's not belonging to the official PHB Ranger.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

@Unavenger I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there's a chance that it might be disqualified, due to the fact that it's not belonging to the official PHB Ranger.
    Official ruling: I'm going to allow it on a technicality. 'Ranger' is one of the PHB classes, after all, which is all I asked for in the rules. Personally, I consider the revised ranger to be the one true ranger anyway.

Revised ranger conclaves are generally compatible with the standard ranger anyway, you just swap out the 5th level ability for Extra Attack.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

25. - Top - End - #235

Quote Originally Posted by pygmybatrider View Post

2. Starfire Conclave by Blackflight. I love the spell list and the ranged Smite effect of Starfire Conclave, although I wish the wording was inclusive of crossbows as I think the subclass is a perfect fit for a red-cloak-and-pointy-hat hand crossbow inquisitor character, and also melee weapons for the poor unfortunate TWF/GWM ranger. Starfall combining with an upcast Moonbeam would be a heck of a lot damage if your DM lets you target the 'corner' of a grid to hit up to 4 targets. Overall thematically strong and nicely worded.
    Thanks for the feedback. This was obviously done in a rush :D I quite like the outcome so I wanted to expand it a little:

• Starfire arrows renamed Starfire bodkins: Now applies to all ranged weapon attacks. I agree this needs to apply to more than arrows. However, I don’t like adding the effect to melee attacks – I wanted this to be a ranged equivalent to the paladin (if you don’t want to focus on ranged weapons you shouldn’t pick this subclass :D - Paladins exist! )
    • Starfall now requires concentration to maintain (you can no longer use it and moonbeam at the same time). The damage possibly needs to be nerfed, but considering its like call lightning (3rd level spell), only lasts a minute, is once per short rest and a lategame ability I think it is sort of justified. The big strength is that it casts using a bonus action rather than an action (allowing you to still make weapon attacks) which is really strong however. In the end, this needs playtesting.
    Last edited by Blackflight; 2018-11-01 at 06:20 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackflight View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. This was obviously done in a rush :D I quite like the outcome so I wanted to expand it a little:

• Starfire arrows renamed Starfire bodkins: Now applies to all ranged weapon attacks. I agree this needs to apply to more than arrows. However, I don’t like adding the effect to melee attacks – I wanted this to be a ranged equivalent to the paladin (if you don’t want to focus on ranged weapons you shouldn’t pick this subclass :D - Paladins exist! )
    • Starfall now requires concentration to maintain (you can no longer use it and moonbeam at the same time). The damage possibly needs to be nerfed, but considering its like call lightning (3rd level spell), only lasts a minute, is once per short rest and a lategame ability I think it is sort of justified. The big strength is that it casts using a bonus action rather than an action (allowing you to still make weapon attacks) which is really strong however. In the end, this needs playtesting.
    Understood on wanting to keep the smite ability to ranged attacks! Without playtesting to prove it, I think the damage of Starfall is probably fine as-is. You want your capstone ability to be powerful - that's what capstones are for. There are wizards out there Overchannelling, and sorcadins quickening BBs for super smites, and druids summoning hordes of forest friends. And, after all, it is the ranger we're tacking this ability on to... ;)

Including:

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Doing the midweek tally. Looks like pygmybatrider's Fighter: The Bulwark leads with 10 points early, with nickl_2000's Pinball Wizard (there's got to be a twist) right behind at 9 points, and the Gluttony Domain by Ivellius coming in 3rd at 6 points. That said, there's still 10 days left on the voting period so an upset isn't out of the question!

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238

2nd Vote: Starfire Conclave. It really hits the "Star" aspect very well with its light abilities. My main concern is that some of the spells available are a bit redundant with the stealth removal, and that the entire class focuses around explicitly ranged combat. The Monster Slayer, for example, is full of abilities that work better with range, but can also be used in melee in a pinch. In addition, being restricted to ranged combat can be a bit...dull, considering most turns are going to be generally limited to "Shoot" or "Shoot Harder" with the class abilities. The Paladin, who this subclass is likely based off of, has a lot of decisions to make in melee combat (who to engage, where to move, when to cast support concentration spells, when to Divine Smite or when to Spell Smite, when to use Channel Divinity, etc), but ranged combatants don't have as many decisions to make. In contrast, the Arcane Archer or a Dexterity Battlemaster have a lot of different decisions to make with ranged combat. It does do a great job of reflecting the star aspect and owning it, as well as being an alternative to the Paladin, I just wish it had more decisions to make at range and was less niche against stealthed enemies (who often don't stealth past round 1).
    I've continued to work on the subclass after the contest and these are some very good points. I like the idea of limiting the smite effect to ranged attacks since the paladin's smite is melee only. However I do agree that ranged combat can be sort of dull. I buffed the ability by making it pierce the initial target. This means that there are a lot more tactical decisions to make and the player is rewarded for good positioning (consequently punished for bad positioning as you can end up hitting your allies).

Starfire bodkins:
    When you take this feature at 3rd level, you can choose to imbue your projectiles with radiant fire that pierces through your target. When you hit a creature with a ranged weapon attack, you can expend one 1st- level spell slot to deal 2d6 radiant damage to the target, in addition to the weapon’s damage. Following, each creature standing in a 20 feet long and 1 feet wide line directly behind the initial target (following the path of the projectile) takes an amount of radiant damage equal to the initial target.
    The damage is increased by d6 radiant damage and the length of the line increased by 10 feet for each spell-level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d6 radiant damage and 50 feet line.

This change does however make the wording more complex and "fiddly". It also makes the subclass overall stronger so I don't know if it is perhaps gone over the top and needs some sort of tweaking.

In regards to adding more depth to the lunar flare ability, I thought about adding ways in which you can blind creatures affected by the ability. However, I couldn't come up with a simple solution that didn't make the feature overpowered.
    Last edited by Blackflight; 2018-11-02 at 02:01 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239

Quote Originally Posted by Blackflight View Post
    I've continued to work on the subclass after the contest and these are some very good points. I like the idea of limiting the smite effect to ranged attacks since the paladin's smite is melee only. However I do agree that ranged combat can be sort of dull. I buffed the ability by making it pierce the initial target. This means that there are a lot more tactical decisions to make and the player is rewarded for good positioning (consequently punished for bad positioning as you can end up hitting your allies).

Starfire bodkins:
    When you take this feature at 3rd level, you can choose to imbue your projectiles with radiant fire that pierces through your target. When you hit a creature with a ranged weapon attack, you can expend one 1st- level spell slot to deal 2d6 radiant damage to the target, in addition to the weapon’s damage. Following, each creature standing in a 20 feet long and 1 feet wide line directly behind the initial target (following the path of the projectile) takes an amount of radiant damage equal to the initial target.
    The damage is increased by d6 radiant damage and the length of the line increased by 10 feet for each spell-level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d6 radiant damage and 50 feet line.

This change does however make the wording more complex and "fiddly". It also makes the subclass overall stronger so I don't know if it is perhaps gone over the top and needs some sort of tweaking.

In regards to adding more depth to the lunar flare ability, I thought about adding ways in which you can blind creatures affected by the ability. However, I couldn't come up with a simple solution that didn't make the feature overpowered.
    I love this change. I could really see this get some cool effects. I'd probably rewrite it as something like

"When you hit a creature with a ranged weapon attack, you can expend one 1st level spell slot to enhance it with moonlight. The creature, and every other creature in a straight 20ft line behind it, takes 2d6 Radiant damage. If this feature deals 15 damage or more to a creature, you can choose to reduce it by that much damage to blind that creature until the start of your next turn".

2d6 will hit 7 on average, ranging between 2 and 12,

3d6 will hit 10.5 on average, ranging between 3 and 18.

4d6 will hit 14 on average, ranging between 4 and 24.

5d6 will hit 17.5 on average, ranging between 5 and 30.

So the only way to consistently blind someone is to spend a 3-4+ level spell slot. Also considering that this would scale on a crit, you basically get a super-effect when landing a critical hit, like some magic weapons.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2018-11-02 at 04:16 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like the way the Starfire Conclave is evolving now. Fun to see the good things that can come out of such a quick turnaround contest!

For posterity's sake, here's the rogue archetype I was going to submit instead of the Oath of the Eclipse. I think it's less polished, but more fun.

Homebrewery link: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1Qg4_Gwh7

Spoiler: Star Explorer Rogue
    Show

Star Explorer

For some, exploring is a hobby - something they do in their free time, in between jobs, or get dragged into by their friends. For others, it is work - they are paid to excavate ruins, retrieve lost artifacts, or clear out squatters.

There is a third category, however. For these brave (or foolhardy) souls, exploring is a way of life - a passion, a burning desire inside themselves to be outdoors or underground, to overturn new stones, to climb to unexplored heights.

These explorers, star explorers, are so called because they have reached the pinnacle of their profession. With nothing more than their trusty tool belts and their years of experience, they trek the jungles, ruins, and islands of the world, looking for ever more exciting and dangerous places to sharpen their craft.

It is no surprise that star explorers often find themselves in less-than-desirable situations, and most of the hardship suffered during any particular journey will often come down to having to extricate themselves from whatever mess they have managed to land in.

Utility Belt
    Starting at 3rd level, you are never without your trusty tool belt. In it are several useful items that you can use to reach - or escape - dangerous and exciting places. As long as you have access to your utility belt, you can use a bonus action to produce one of the following effects. Only one effect can be active at any given time. Producing a new effect while another effect is still active ends the old effect.

Grappling hook. You gain a climbing speed equal to your walking speed.

Rebreather. You can hold your breath for up to an hour before needing to take a breath.

Jump boots. Your jump distance is tripled.

Snow shoes. You can ignore the effects of non-magical difficult terrain.

Lucky Escape
    Also at 3rd level, you can use the bonus action granted to you by your Cunning Action feature to attempt to escape from a grapple.

Extendable Blade
    Beginning at 9th level, you have expanded your collection of tools outside your belt and now carry them everywhere - including your hands. As a bonus action, you can trigger the mechanism that keeps a long knife hidden along your forearms.

You can use the blade as a weapon. You are considered proficient in its use, and the blade deals 1d6 piercing damage and has the reach and finesse properties.

In addition, while the blade is extended, you have advantage on all checks made to escape grapples, and any Strength (Athletics) checks made to climb difficult surfaces or maintain your grip on a sheer surface like a cliff or a wall.

Anti-Gravity Belt
    At 13th level, you have upgraded your utility belt with arcane magic or sophisticated technology that defies the laws of physics. You can cast levitate on yourself at will.

Star Power
    Beginning at 17th level, your exploits in the field of exploring have become legendary. You have a knack for turning up in just the right place at just the right time to save the day.

When you roll initiative, you can choose to treat the die roll as a 20. On your first turn, you can use a bonus action to teleport to a point you can see within 60 feet. The first attack roll you make on your first turn is made with advantage.

Last edited by pygmybatrider; 2018-11-03 at 03:19 AM.

Including: