Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    TimeWizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Supernatural Crusader...?

    This is my first attempt at questioning what makes some feats very, very good, so please be kind and patient.

    Supernatural Crusader gives you plus one to hit and plus one damage against "a creature with a supernatural ability". It's from the Tome of Magic, in the binder section. I take it that it was meant to be used against binders, but don't a lot of classes and monsters have supernatural abilities? Is this feat considered very powerful because of that?
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Anxe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Davis, California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Supernatural Crusader...?

    Does it have any requirements? It's not super-overpowered, but yes it is pretty good. That gives the PC a +1 against pretty much everything, but it's still only a +1.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: Supernatural Crusader...?

    +1 to hit and damage is pretty weak. Even if everything in the game had a supernatural ability, this would by no means be a must have.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    TimeWizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Supernatural Crusader...?

    Knowledge: Arcana, 2 ranks. Attainable at first level by everyone not a 8 or less INT fighter.

    Ninja: next post.
    Last edited by TimeWizard; 2007-09-05 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    TimeWizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Supernatural Crusader...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
    +1 to hit and damage is pretty weak. Even if everything in the game had a supernatural ability, this would by no means be a must have.
    I would like that clarified, as this seems to be a +3 damage bonus to Power Attack. Why is +1 to hit and damage pretty weak for a first level feat? Seems like its on par with Weapon Focus (the trade being the security of any weapon in hand vs. the security of every enemy).
    Last edited by TimeWizard; 2007-09-06 at 03:49 PM. Reason: grammar
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kizara's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ownageville (OV)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Supernatural Crusader...?

    Its overpowered but not amazingly so.

    If you changed it to "outsiders" it would be alot more reasonable.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground
     
    The_Snark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: Supernatural Crusader...?

    It... isn't really overpowered. Looking at NPCs, five of the core classes have supernatural abilities (monk, cleric, druid, bard, paladin). None of the core races possess supernatural abilities. Many spellcasting classes don't have any, and many mundane classes don't have any. (Note carefully the difference between supernatural and spell-like abilities.)

    As for monsters, it is true that most monsters at higher level possess supernatural abilities. But by the time you've gotten to high levels, +1 to attack and damage doesn't matter all that much. And at low levels, there are plenty of monsters without supernatural abilities.

    It's not that great a feat.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kizara's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ownageville (OV)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Supernatural Crusader...?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    It... isn't really overpowered. Looking at NPCs, five of the core classes have supernatural abilities (monk, cleric, druid, bard, paladin). None of the core races possess supernatural abilities. Many spellcasting classes don't have any, and many mundane classes don't have any. (Note carefully the difference between supernatural and spell-like abilities.)

    As for monsters, it is true that most monsters at higher level possess supernatural abilities. But by the time you've gotten to high levels, +1 to attack and damage doesn't matter all that much. And at low levels, there are plenty of monsters without supernatural abilities.

    It's not that great a feat.
    Spellcasting or spell-like abilities don't count for the purposes of this feat?

    It's more reasonable then, I'll lower my statment to 'pretty good'.

    But you should note that you need to look at the feat in context to what you generally fight in DnD: the monsters, not the PC classes.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2007

    Default Re: Supernatural Crusader...?

    Quote Originally Posted by TimeWizard View Post
    I would like that clarified, as this seems to be a +3 damage bonus to Power Attack. What +1 to hit and damage pretty weak for a first level feat? Seems like its on par with Weapon Focus (the trade being the security of any weapon in hand vs. the security of every enemy).
    It is about on par with Weapon Focus, which isn't a very good feat. Its usefulness is quickly outlived.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kizara
    Its overpowered but not amazingly so.
    No way. There are a million better feats out there. Weapon Focus (and its ilk) are only useful for meeting prereqs of PrCs.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    TimeWizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Supernatural Crusader...?

    Eh, some battles you win, and some battles you lose. Thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •