Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Daemon

Default Modifying Bard's Magical Secrets

I'm brainstorming ways to make the way casting classes access their spells feel different from one another. Right now, the only difference is in spell lists.

I've written up a thematic magic revamp (in my signature), but my current focus is on the Bard.

What if, instead of Magical Secrets, they got the following ability:

Harmonic Magic
    Beginning at 6th level, you have learned to hear the harmonies of spells as their cast and to mimic them. When you see and hear a spell being cast, you can attempt to fix the harmonies in your mind to reproduce them. The spell must be of a level you can cast. Make an Intelligence check against a DC of 12 + the spell's level (cantrips count as spells of level 0). On a success, you learn the spell and it counts as a Bard spell for you. You can only learn a number of spells equal to your Intelligence modifier this way, although you can sacrifice one learned spell for another.

Lore bards would get something like advantage on the check or a larger number of spells learned that way.

How does that break things? They have to find spell casters, and it's based on an off-stat (and no proficiency, Jack of All Trades applies but you can't get expertise). Underlined things are variables I don't have fixed down right now.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    PhoenixPhyre's Extended Homebrew Signature
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Modifying Bard's Magical Secrets

That is... VERY powerful.
    Sure, if the bard is alone, it's fine. But if that ability is in place, Int WON'T be a dump stat.
    The main problem: There WILL be other spellcasters in the group.
    Nuff said.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Modifying Bard's Magical Secrets

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Tarrasque View Post
    That is... VERY powerful.
    Sure, if the bard is alone, it's fine. But if that ability is in place, Int WON'T be a dump stat.
    The main problem: There WILL be other spellcasters in the group.
    Nuff said.
    What if it's combined with a much more limited "native" spell set or it's limited to just a couple spells (like maybe 1 at 6th, 2 at 10th, 3 at 14th to mimic the current Magical Secrets?)
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    PhoenixPhyre's Extended Homebrew Signature
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!