New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

Gunn nods at Perseus, but then says, "But do we have a way back up?" He waits, then adds, "Perseus and I will go investigate what lies at the top of the tower--anyone is welcome to join us."
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"My Wind Walk spell is merely suspended," Lothrain notes. "Those affected the first time can use it again. Still, it takes thirty seconds to change forms - that's a minute in total before we can be involved in any fighting. In battle, that is an eternity."

Natalia smiles at Gunn. "I believe I should like to see what Thomas discovers on the top floor. I trust this group to deal with any wayward defenders below. The password to disable traps on the lower levels is 'In Death, Truth.'"

Rauthus says nothing, looking to Theo for orders.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I think I'll go with Gunn," Yara says. "My psicrystal is capable for standing in for me with the others, it's already descending the shaft. I'll let it report what's down there."
    "I'll go after the phylactery," Hesa says after some consideration. "We shouldn't split our focus before it is destroyed."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

At length, the psicrystal reaches the bottom of the tower through the series of now-open trapdoors. It hovers there briefly, reporting back to Yara on all it sees.

The pedestal has fallen to the dusty ground beneath the tower, and the impact has damaged it, breaking open the outer layer to reveal a lead-lined compartment. That lining has been broken, presumably ending its efficacy as a barrier to divination. Within sits an object which is identical to the fake phylactery in all respects but one: a palpable aura of malice and power emanates from it, evident even to the psicrystal's artificial senses.

There is no sign of the summoned devil bar a patch of scorched ground directly beneath the trapdoor, a faint and diminishing odour of brimstone.

Lydia stands over the broken pedestal, halberd at the ready. Yet her eyes are not on the phylactery, but are scanning the area around her.

Widening its scrutiny, the psicrystal reports that this area is not wholly enclosed: large archways are incorporated into the walls, forming a roofed courtyard beneath the tower proper.

And something is moving beyond the faltering limits of Lydia’s light: something vast and immeasurably strong, burrowing through the ground, visible only as the earth buckles from its passage.

5. - Top - End - #275

"The Nightcrawler's down there! I don't know if Lydia can get back up." Yara announces.
    The undead would likely kill Lydia. Wind walk meant it would take a minute for their full force to get down there. She'd need to find a way...
    Do you still have the feather fall spell active? she sends through the psicrystal. Whether or not you do, don't resist this.
    The small astral construct lands next to the pillar and scoops it up.
    "I can either launch her 140ft up the shaft or make her disappear for just over a minute. If the first, someone will have to go down and catch her. Please think quickly." Yara makes sure to broadcast this to Lydia, to let her know what was going on.
    (Either Telekinetic Thrust or Time Hop)

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Thinking quickly isn't what I do. Acting quickly is. He states, taking charge in the situation. I can activate my magical flight immediately. Judge when the best time is to launch Lydia so we can meet before she begins to fall again.

Theo then does a graceful swan dive into the hole where Lydia awaited help. He used some of his power to turn the undead away to fuel his gift of flight and dashed to catch Lydia before she fell to the nightcrawlers domain.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

7. - Top - End - #277

Yara approaches the hole after Theo dives, using her sense and the psicrystals to judge distances. When Theo started to get into range, she began to channel the power. Lydia surged up the shaft, followed by the construct and psicrystal. The later two could get up under their own power, bringing the phylactery with them.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Down below, Lydia shouts a cry of fear and challenge as the Nightcrawler erupts into view: a thing of darkness and raw physical power, larger than a house, its gaping maw a mass of teeth and muscle. Its body is covered in chitinous armour as black as midnight, and the air around it seems to writhe at its unnatural presence.

The confrontation lasts less than a second, for Yara quickly intervenes, wrenching the Vanguard officer upwards by force of will alone. The Nightcrawler's teeth snap shut on empty air, and Lydia gives a whoop of relief and adrenaline as she soars to Theo's waiting arms.

You are soon joined by the psicrystal and astral construct, the latter carrying the cause of all this effort: Shroud's phylactery.

Spoiler: Gunn and Perseus
    Show
    While this is going on, Gunn, Perseus and Natalia are exploring the uppermost chamber of the tower. It is a spartan space, lacking any of the decoration or comforts a living occupant might have desired; a functional area, scattered with desks and arcane experiments, specimens of various species that have died in the course of vivisection, shelves groaning under the weight of books and ancient scrolls, others littered with exotic spell components.

But it is a trio of crystal balls that attract your immediate attention, glowing softly and still depicting the last image scried through them.

One shows a vast armada flying beneath draconic banners, with similarly themed figureheads and other iconography, sailing beneath the shadow of five dragons flying in formation - the lead dragon a black wyrm large enough to crush a palace.

The second shows a richly appointed chamber, in which you can see two armchairs. In the first sits the former Chancellor Martok. In the second is an elf in the garb of a mage, flanked by a pair of elven warriors. Their dress is unfamiliar, suggesting a hot climate and a significant degree of wealth.

The final crystal ball shows a familiar face: Dargun, the Apostle of Maltur. He sits at the prow of a mighty Kharheim ship, gazing with a predatory smile at a trio of battleships ahead of him, each flying the flag of New Ganthar.

9. - Top - End - #279

"Nothing's ever easy, is it?" Gunn sighs. He looks over the books, scrolls, and spell components for things of obvious value, and calls downstairs, "You might want to come up and take a look at this..." As he searches the books and scrolls he is also looking for anything to do with the ritual or the gods.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The last post I did was at 267 so I have a bit to reply to sorry, also Rosalind didn't recognize the coffin?

"Theo, I do not know what to say, I understand your churches standings on the matter, however if the rest of the clergy agrees that it would be best for her to return I would be willing to perform the ritual free of charge. Many brave souls have been lost, and such an important figure in your clergy will be felt." the priestess says, trying to be supportive of the man who was leading them all, and not for the first time. It was true what they were risking their lives for was indeed important, however her death was beyond brutal.

"I rather not open this however until we are free form this realm and the deed is done. If this is what I believe it to be I will have to send word to Panem to come and retrieve it and return the one contained within to her proper resting place." Sister Rosalind says, agreeing that it was from her homeland, but not saying what it was or its importance. "Something you do not recognize however is a bit more forbidding then something I have an idea about. After all you deal in information do you not Natalia." the old woman points out, not quite sure she was being told the whole truth.

Spoiler: Sense Motives
    Show
    (1d20+10)[27] to tell if she knows anything about the helm she isn't saying

As Lydia leaps down Sister Rosalind looks on wondering if everyone was so impulsive before hearing Mr. Gunn say he was going to explore what was at the top of the tower. Seeing the groups slowly start to split Rosalind looks at the two, " I will stay here, this way I can move to support whoever needs me most." she says before watching Mr. Gunn, Perseus and Natalia, and Yara head upstairs while the rest tried to get Lydia out of the hole she just jumped in.

As Theo, Lydia, the Psycrystal that seemed to be an extension of Yara herself, as well as her construct return upstairs thanks to Theo Sister Rosalind notices the phalactry. "We should destroy it now, before anything else happens." the woman says her hands beginning to fill with a golden glow as she looks to Theo and the others so that they all struck it as the same time, hopefully destroying it.

Spoiler: Searing light
    Show
    Basically she is timing it so they all hit it at the same time
    Attack roll (1d20+17)[37] Damage (if it is considered a construct or inanimate object) (5d6)[23] If undead (10d6)[31] SR check if needed (1d20+14)[26]

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo flies upward with Lydia in hand. He was a not just relieved, but somewhat contradictory to that he was also worried about leaving what lay at the bottom in one piece. But the priority was to withdraw with the phylactery, and so he acted in accordance with the plan.

Upon landing, he hears Gunn shout down to the group to join him. Theo complied without much other thought; Theo trusted Gunn's judgment to be in the best interest of the circumstance.
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

cool Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

Show
    Rosalind would have known as much as Natalia about the casket, but as I didn't know when you would be posting, it was simpler to put the information in her mouth.

Your sense motive check suggests Natalia is telling you all she knows about the helm.

Also, given that Rosalind is readying an action to destroy the phylactery and no one else is, I'm deferring that action (and carrying forward those rolls) for now.

The newcomers take in the horrors of Shroud's innermost chamber: the evidence of experimentation on living subjects; the stench of decay, of blood and of terror; the bodies left where they expired on the operating table, organs spilling out from gaping openings in their flesh.

Then, like Gunn before them, they are drawn to the light of the three crystal balls, taking in the images there: former Chancellor Martok shaking the hand of an elven dignitary; the dwarf Dargun, familiar to Rosalind from her time in Kharheim, smiling his satisfaction as his ship faces off with three warships from New Ganthar; and an armada sailing beneath a flight of dragons.

Spoiler: Theo
    Show
    This is the first time you have seen Dargun, but you recognise his face from your father's memories. He was one of the three men who killed your family.

Spoiler: Yara and Hesa
    Show
    At the head of the flight of dragons is a black wyrm you well recognise: Feronax.

Spoiler: Gunn
    Show
    While the others get caught up, you are scouring the shelves of books. It would take hours if not days to catalogue everything, but you find some titles of interest:

Major Artefacts of the Gods, and Their Weaknesses
    The Anathema Myth
    The Daughter Heresy
    Unlocking Rituals

Natalia has made her way to the writing desk in one corner. A locked iron box, roughly 10" by 15"and 10" deep, sits on a small shelf above the desk, and it is this which she now collects, tucking it under one arm for later examination.

13. - Top - End - #283

Gunn examines the books further, leafing through them briefly to take note of any bookmarks or other indicators of important passages. As he does so, he asks, with a vague gesture toward the crystal balls, "What are we seeing here, exactly?" to Natalia, he mentally whispers, I can open that for you, if you like.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo grits his teeth and clenches guys fist to see that dwarf, who was no doubt up to nothing Good. Make wise use of your time. He says to the party. We should not spend any more of it here than we must. This is an evil place.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Gunn
    Show
    Natalia smiles at you, a brief movement at the corner of her mouth, meant for you alone.

My thanks. But there are two reasons I prefer to delay. The first is to have it checked for traps. The second is that, if this is what I think it is, we might want to read its contents first before deciding what we share with the Arbiter and his ilk. Look at that desk: inkwell, pen, blotting parchment. Shroud wrote letters. So where are the replies?

Your inspection of the books gives you a feel for what lies behind the titles.

Major Artefacts of the Gods, and Their Weaknesses lists a number of magical items of historic importance and power, including the six Shroud proposed to use in the ritual. Interestingly, each is accompanied by speculation on how it might be destroyed.

The Anathema Myth describes a weapon created by Torae, a tool of death and unmaking which even the gods have cause to fear. It is depicted as a sword, but you notice a passage suggesting that might be an overly simplistic image.

The Daughter Heresy is an account by a renegade cleric of Charis, recording a tale forbidden by his peers: that the undead demigod they fought in what for the writer was the recent past was in fact the Daughter of Charis - a demigod created when Charis cast off Her mantle of righteousness, embodying all that She used to be, but corrupted by Vlarath to be an instrument of His vengeance. The writer means to pledge his life to restoring the Daughter, believing she, not Charis, is the proper object of his worship.

Unlocking Rituals is a technical treatise on the use of ritual magic. It is seemingly aimed at a fairly niche audience: gifted arcanists with the ability to perform complex works of magic, but limited practical knowledge on the subject.

Natalia considers the crystal balls briefly. "I can only speculate. It looks like Shroud was monitoring these three groups simultaneously. That suggests he had some reason to expect them to do something he would want to know about, and that there is something the three had in common.

"We also know, I think, that Shroud suddenly stepped up his timetable for the ritual. I suspect this could be the reason why.

"As for what this is? An invading fleet, a conspiracy, a major incident with the dwarves... It looks like war. Like a messy, multi-sided war. Like Maltur's hand revealed."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

As Rosalind walks into the room she gets ready to start asking why they had not destroyed the phylactery yet when she sees the three crystal balls, the one with Martok raises her eyebrow a little, however it could be him simply trying to smooth things over and regain power. However the same could not be said about the battle being waged on sea, nor the flight of dragons and warships. Looking to Perseus Sister Rosalind asks quickly, "Please tell me you have been watching that and it shows who attacked first." the woman says, hoping Dargun was the one who caused this fight, but unsure knowing Dwarven customs this could end very badly.

"I suggest we destroy this item now and put an end to Shroud once and for all, from the looks of it in our absence a lot has taken place and if we do not hurry back a great deal of things we can not stop will unfold." turning to Yara and Hesa she asks, "Are those your kinsmen? If so why do you think they have left their homeland?" trying to get a scope of what was going on, but not disagreeing for a moment with Natalia in any of the facts but a single one. "This at the moment is not an incident with the dwarves, this for all we know could be an illusion. As I learned in my brief time in their lands without proof such an accusation would be considered an act of war. It is why I asked if Persus saw how this began." she states indicating the crystal balls. "And even if he did finding a few survivors would also do us wonders. I say we destroy this thing here and now, and then we return to the prime material so we can try and intervene before this becomes a full fledged war. Arbitor I know you do not enjoy working with devils, nor do I so I ask that once we return you help protect all the dwarves you can find living in New Ganther. If the populace sees this they will retaliate violently and take it out on those they can, even if they are innocent. If this happens this small situation could very well become a full fledged war. Ask Perseus if you do not understand what I am talking about."

17. - Top - End - #287

Perseus shakes his head sadly at Rosalind's question. "We found these images frozen," Gunn says, scooping the crystal balls into his satchel carefully. "But when we go to rally support for the island's defense, they will prove useful."

He turns back to the group, and says, "Let us destroy that phylactery and be done with this place."

18. - Top - End - #288

"That is Feronax," Yara says, not taking her eyes off the image. She began to pace nervously around the room, fidgeting with her hands. "I can't know for sure where they are going but in these times, there is only one place I can think of."
    She turns to Hesa.
    "What did you do?"
    Hesa remains silent, crossing his arms.
    "Hesa... if this truly is a god's plan for a war, what do you think will happen to our countrymen once they arrive? There's likely going to be one or more massive empires joining in the fight. How many Feronaxians will die from this?"
    Hesa sighed, "I informed your father of your death and the lich. If we are being manipulated into a war... I'll talk to have to talk to high priest Geral."
    (I have some stuff due Friday, so I may not post for till afterwards)

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Arbiter Lothrain, previously quiet, shakes his head at Rosalind's suggestion.

"I agree that the dwarves need protecting," he says in the softest rumble his massive voice can manage. "But Relath is a god of war - not a strategist like Charis or a warmonger like Maltur, but a soldier, a leader of men. Faced with such a war - a war engineered by our enemy, if we trust Natalia's lying tongue that far - He would not have me sit on the sidelines. He would have the Crusaders join the fight.

"Once we arrive back, I will make it known that the dwarves are welcome to shelter in our temple. Perseus, your help with that would make the message more likely to be believed. But I myself will meet with the Chancellors and see what service we can offer."

He walks over to the phylactery, drawing his sword and meeting Rosalind's eyes. He holds, waiting to see if anyone else means to add their strength to the effort.

Natalia rolls her eyes. "Will someone just squash the accursed thing already? Honestly, they'll leap into a chasm without a second thought, but ask them to break one tiny evil relic..."

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Aye, and their kind is as welcome in my hall as yours. Theo agreed with Lothrain. He similarly positions himself to strike at the phylactery, all while considering what this malturian dwarf might be scheming. Shroud will be expelled to infinity, and the death knight still lurked outside of his grasp.

But the list of enemies was narrowing. And that is good.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Acting in concert, you strike at the phylactery, committing all your strength to its destruction.

The small metal box crumples and tears like tissue paper beneath the force of multiple blows. There is a flash of light, a shriek of rage and pain, and a shockwave crashes over each of you, radiating out from the broken relic. Fortunately, the force of it is little greater than a strong wind: enough to make you fight to keep your footing, but not to do any real harm.

For most of you, there is nothing else to see: an object destroyed, a magical force being dispersed.

But Rosalind sees more. She sees the spectral image of Shroud rising from the remnants of the phylactery, robed in black fire, unaware of the chains at his wrists formed from the same stolen power. She sees the chains shatter, the flames ripped away, returning to the Mother from whom they were taken. And she sees his soul, naked, twisted and alone, fading away as it finally passes to the world beyond this life.

Spoiler: Experience
    Show
    1,000 story xp each.

Suddenly there is a sound like thunder, loud enough to stagger you - then you realise it is the tower itself that has shifted, tilting ominously around you. A second crash, similarly intense, sees Natalia dashing for the stairs down.

Lothrain, Rauthus and Lydia follow suit, racing to the one room you know you can teleport out of.

22. - Top - End - #292

Perseus activates his boots of Flying and scoops up Gunn in his arms, swiftly bearing him down the stairs.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

As Sister Rosalind hears Perseus say the images were frozen when they entered she finds it rather odd they would just start up on their own at a random place. Perhaps they could thus go backwards to what they had already seen, after all if they could be frozen there was at least a chance. "Do you believe that if we simply show the crystal balls with a frozen image of the attack we may catch Dargun off guard? I refuse to say who started this battle without proof, however I do know ships were being attacked prior to the dwarves arriving and his aura is the exact opposite of my own, making those near to him want for conflict and war, could this simply be his aura acting out?" Sister Rosalind states, not making any accusations, simply statements of what she knew.

"So Pacem is watching all of this waiting for a reason to intervene. The army of Feronax is most likely coming to avenge a very alive Yara. The dwarves may see this once more as humanity being dishonest and not worthy of their honor and declare war. And the elves are meeting with Martock no doubt he is trying to make a deal with them that will have him sitting on the throne when the dust settles." the priestess says looking around. " Perseus didn't your Runewarden suggest that the dignitaries were out of reach because someone was stopping them. What if Shroud has had them trapped here? We should quickly look around after destroying the Phalactry." the woman says wondering if this was where they were being held. If they could find and save them perhaps they could at least ease the tension from the dwarves.

"I was told by someone much wiser than myself that the time of the gods of peace is coming to an end, and that the power that those who preside over war has is almost at its peak. If this happens a lone mountain can not stand against the might of the ocean. Keeping the dwarven citizens safe will at least show that New Ganther has some honor. Add in if we treat our own badly they will no doubt turn on us and let their brothers in with open arms. In the end we are all people, who all want what is best for those we look after. Is war what is best? Defending what is yours is indeed a worthy goal, but leading an attack against those who think you are going to attack them only gives credit to their fear. I believe we should play the turtle and only defend ourselves until there is no options left. If it comes to the battlefield, allow them to collect their dead without trickery. Show them that we are one in the same through actions not words." she says suspecting Natalie would show no mercy.

As the priestess of the Lovers watches Shroud she speaks to the spirit. "Return to your Mother Shroud, she has been waiting for you a long time I suspect. See that death is not the end, but just the beginning of your journey." she says kindly to the spirit as the power of the Mother returns to her before Shroud slowly vanishes into the afterlife.

With her wings still acitve Sister Rosalind looks around for any other doors, listening to hear if she could hear any cries for help, and if none are heard she follows the others, carrying who she can.

Show
    Can only lift 140lbs off the ground so no doubt no one can be helped by her.

Spot (1d20+7)[8]
    Listen (1d20+7)[18]

24. - Top - End - #294

"I suspect that he's more after the energy I left behind than avenging me," Yara said. "Feronax is looking to protect his investment."
    Yara takes a look around the room while the others destroy the phylactery, it didn't seem right for her to help finish him of. When the tower started crumbling however, she was the quick to start racing down. However, a thought struck her on the way down.
    "Wait! Does anyone have dimension door prepared? Hesa could fail to manifest from my power," she calls out. "Perhaps those who can wind walk transition now and find their way out. Or we could break a wall or I could keep us in ectoplasm bubbles while the tower collapses."

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The tower is now leaning at an angle between 20° and 30°, making the desperate scramble for the lower levels all the more treacherous. Dislodged chattels and masonry shower over you - alarming if hardly dangerous - as you run or fly through corridors that increasingly resemble something out of a drug-induced hallucination.

"Thirty seconds to change," Lothrain reminds you. "I doubt we have time to sit around for that long!"

He stumbles through the door of the sigil-marked chamber, all but crashing into Natalia as she waits unsteadily for you.

"I can Plane Shift those who need it," she shouts urgently, "but it's a last resort - too inaccurate. Yara?"

Then, with a crunch of shearing stone and a jolt of vertigo - inducing motion, it is suddenly too late for discussion. The tower is toppling, throwing those of you without flight like rag dolls, and threatening to bludgeon the rest with the full weight of the massive stone building.

Whatever you are going to do, you need to do now - before this building becomes your tomb.

26. - Top - End - #296

Seeing his allies struggle and overwhelmed by a strange sense of compassion, Gunn grabs hold of Hesa, Natalia, and Theo, and uses Dimension Door to transport them, himself, and Perseus to the exit room.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo sees Gunn move to bring him in to teleport to the safe room. Seeing that he chose Natalia, Hesa, and Perseus as well, Theo smacks Gunn's hand away and pulls Lydia towards him to go in his place.

Theo recalls that Yara can use her power reserve to take care of herself, and so he puts his hands out for Rauthus, Rosalind and Lothrain to join him in following Gunn.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #298

Yara follows he rest using her own power, bringing along her construct and psicrystal. All three being able to fly, she materialises in the air about a hundred feet off the air.
    (If there is anyone left, she brings them and materialises on the ground)

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You emerge into the frigid darkness of the Shadow Plane, those able to fly supporting those who cannot. You watch in silence as Shroud's sanctuary topples from view like an immense stone tree, its size making the motion seem ponderous when it is anything but.

There is a cascade of sound, louder and louder, reaching and passing the limits of endurance, until it seems it will never end. Your ears ring, all your senses reeling from the onslaught of noise.

Finally all is silence, so absolute you fear at first you may have been utterly deafened.

In that silence, Natalia turns wordlessly, spreading the batlike wings she proved able to conjure when you first arrived, and heads back towards the portal. With little alternative, you follow.

As before, you are fast enough to evade the native monsters, making your way rapidly to the Temple of Vlarath that echoes Granig's temple in the material plane. Descending into that sinister graveyard once more, Natalia leads you back into the light and warmth of the physical world.

It takes a full minute for your eyes to adjust to what seems impossibly bright light, although you eventually realise it is the grey half-light of an overcast dawn. A new day is upon you, the challenges of the last fading into memory.

But what new struggles lie before you - as to that, you fear, the answer is all too clear.

Day 12 - five days remaining.

30. - Top - End - #300

Finally able to breathe easy, if only for a moment, Gunn's mind is flooded with the list of tasks before him. The image of Garrote still looms large in his mind, a loose end that necessitates closing. But also growing in scope and spectre are the concerns for New Ganthar's future: the impending invasions by dragons, elves, and dwarves. The last place he would put himself is between the three, yet that seems to be where he is. As the sun rises, he considers his priorities, making a mental list: attend to business at the office, determine the fate of Hildeburh, sell spoils and distribute shares, address the Garrote question. There are also the priorities of his allies, which no doubt include informing the Crown of the impending invasion. While he suspects they might wish to ensnare him somehow in these machinations, he has is own goals that demand attention. "It has been a long night. I must return to my office. If you have need of me, you can find me there," he says, "And you can find your shares of the spoils there as well, soon enough. As you know, I have quite a network of business associates, and so if there are specific items you wish for me to procure for you, I can have that handled as well." To Natalia, he telepathically whispers, If you'd like to accompany me, or meet me there, we can get that case unlocked.