New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

"The distraction party would be the first to be teleported into the tower, as soon as the nightcrawler appears. Then we depend on the distance of the second team to keep us safe until I can teleport the rest in," Yara tells Rosalind.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

Rauthus, I will entrust you to deliver the staff then. Keep it protected until you are relieved of duty. Theo said with a tone that invited little disagreement. Keeping the artifacts protected is key to our long term successes, and I need you to do this for me.

And Asoryala has greater utility, Theo thought to himself.

The other were having a back and forth regarding other aspects of the planning. There will be no distraction party, if we can help it. Our chances at success at reaching the phylactery are maximized if we all stay in close proximity where it can be helped. Whatever awaits us almost requires that we stay together.

Spoiler
    Show
    Know (rel): (1d20+10)[27]
    Know (planes): (1d20+1)[8]

regarding this nightcrawler
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

3. - Top - End - #213

"The distraction party is just to get past the outer defences. We can't teleport everyone in at once, so we want the Nightshade to be far away from the last group to teleport," Hesa tells Theo. "If it attacks us before we are in teleport range, it could potentially do something to stop us. It's threat is unknown but I'm presuming it to be great. The two groups limits what damage it could do. If we are all in one group, there will be 5 left behind to face the beast until they can teleport. The distraction group teleports first, keeping the monster at bay long enough for the others to teleport in."
    He shrugs,
    "But should you decide not to do so, you appear to be the leader here. In any case, Yara is mistaken. We can teleport up to eleven in one jump, if we share powers.""

Yara looks confused for a moment. "Wh... Oh. Of course. it's been so long since I had a psionic ally, I forgot that that was an option. If Hesa and I are in contact, he can teleport some others, but not as many."

"Yes, it will increase the amount of people it is safe to take on this mission," Hesa confirms. Looking down at the crystal staff in his grasp, he considers for a moment.
    Removing his glaive from it's holder, he slides the staff in to replace it.
    "I do not know any of you enough to trust with this artifact. Besides, should we fail and die, this temple of Maya would be endangered once Shroud recover."
    Or once Feronax arrives...

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lothrain speaks up.

"I can cast Wind Walk," he suggests. "With it, I can enable half a dozen people to fly at a height where we will be effectively unassailable for foes on the ground. Combine that with Yara's Teleportation, and we should be able to swiftly reach the infiltration point - if, indeed, this isn't some convoluted trap by Natalia. Though I would welcome clear proof she can't be trusted."

Natalia rolls her eyes at that. "Arbiter, I would hardly set a trap and remain anywhere nearby. And I certainly wouldn't set a trap so obvious that you of all people would recognise my hand in it."

5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground

"I can fly on my own," Perseus says, but Gunn gratefully accepts the offer of Wind Walk for himself.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

6. - Top - End - #216

"I could use Hesa's expansion power to boost my strength and size to carry a few more," Yara offers. "I can use my own power to fly.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Sister Rosalind quickly informs all those ready to depart what they would encounter when dealing with a nightcrawler, including the fact there would be absolutely no way for her to remind it that the Mother had made it to protect life, as in truth when the Betrayer stole her secret to undeath he created these creatures. "Also I know many of you carry magical weapons, while they will help, if they are not also Silver they will no doubt not be able to fully pierce the creatures hide as if they were. It is immune to the frigid cold being an undead, and most likely able to resist spells from all but the most practiced meaning engaging this enemy will not be in our best interests if it can be avoided. As much as I would hate to agree with Natalie, but if we waste to many of our resources dealing with the Nightcrawler we may not be able to deal with the guardian of the phylactery itself."

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

Then it is settled. I am ready when the rest are. He nods at Natalia, and readies himself to be the first to walk through.
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Stepping through the portal, it becomes immediately clear you are in another reality - a reality that is a twisted mockery of your own.

The most immediate sensation is the cold, a dry, brittle chill that makes the hardiest among you grit your teeth, and eliciting a dismayed gasp from Asoryala. It is not cold enough to be dangerous, but it is certainly enough to cause discomfort.

The chill is followed swiftly by the evidence of your eyes. Although you thought it dark before, standing in a cemetery in the early hours of the morning, you stand now in a place where light itself is alien. The lanterns and flames you brought with you smoulder sullenly, their light a wan thing that reaches only a few scant feet before failing. Even the lights of Rosalind's aura and the Sword of Tariel are dimmed, and within the soured glow everything is rendered in shades of grey and black. Colour, it seems, is not welcome here.

Your surroundings are a disturbing mix of the familiar and the horrific. Your feet crunch brittle, frost-rimed grass, and there are graves around you much like the place from which you just departed; and yet you see that every grave gapes open, some vacant, others revealing the bloated corpses of their occupants. The graveyard stretches out as far as you can see, though that is no great distance.

Where Granig's temple sits in your native reality, there is a darker, twisted edifice, its walls formed from human bone, rising to a grim statue glorifying its patron.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Religion) DC 10
    Show
    It is a temple to Vlarath, the Shade, also called the Betrayer, God of Undeath - or at least, of those undead who plague mankind in defiance of Torae's will.

"Have a care," Natalia says quietly, her voice oddly deadened. "Spells of light and heat will be less effective here. And we will be attacked if we remain in one place too long. Come."

Placing a hand briefly against her chest, she suddenly sprouts a pair of batlike wings, rising into the air. Lothrain curses, and casts his spell on all who wish it, rising with his body partly discorporated into mist to pursue her. Lydia, Rauthus and Asoryala take their lead from the rest of you, though you can see they are anxious not to let your guide too far from sight.

Behind you, the curtain of colour that marked the passage back to the Material - albeit with its colours strangely inverted - winks out of existence.

And you hear movement beyond the circle of your light - shuffling, hissing, and baying as the native creatures are drawn to your hated warmth.

10. - Top - End - #220

Spoiler: Know Rel
    Show
    (1d20+11)[18] I think it's an auto pass for the temple

"Well, let's get off the ground..." Yara says, mostly to herself. The sooner they had done their job and left, the better.
    Yara gets into the air by herself, Hesa accepting the wind walk spell.
    (Made a few mistakes with accessing expansion)
    Last edited by Timble; 2018-09-07 at 08:23 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221

Perseus activates his winged boots and takes flight, with Gunn beside him thanks to Lothrain's spell. The two keep as close to Natalia as possible.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

As Sister Rosalind see's the temple of the vile Betrayer it takes all of her will power not to forget the mission they were on at this moment and storm the place, it was the knowledge that more was at stake then just her own life that held her back as she called on the power of the Lover's themselves to grant her flight as two great wings sprout from her back allowing her to fly and follow the others.

Spoiler: Spell cast
    Show

Turning Create food and water into Celestial Aspect (Wings of the Astra Deva) 100ft. fly speed (good maneuverability) (1d3)[1] str damage

Spoiler: Knowledge Religion
    Show
    (1d20+16)[23] Out of curiosity, as rosalind has no ranks in the planes to know this, does the shadow plane work the same way in your world as normal where it shows something similar to what is in the real world? Because it is really odd this temple is showing up as the betrayer, Shroud has a portal in its graveyard, and he has been seen by yara here before.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo accepts the wind walk spell from Lothrain and follows Natalia, keeping alert with his sword locked securely in his gauntlet, he darts his focus around the area to watch for evil threats.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

By various enchantments, you speed through the air towards your destination, the speed of your motion causing the frigid air to rake at your exposed faces.

From such a height, your light does not reach the ground below. It is an eerie sensation, hurtling through utter darkness, unable to see anything but one another and relying entirely on Natalia to guide your course. It is plain that Lothrain in particular finds it hard to accept such dependence on her, his knuckles white on the hilt of his longsword.

Occasionally a treetop flickers past your view, skeletal and twisted, or you see the roof of some nameless and towering structure pass you by. Twice you glimpse other beings - a quartet of wraiths, and a batlike monstrosity the size of a whale that tries briefly and in vain to catch up to you. Your speed is great enough, borne along by unnatural winds, that the native horrors cannot match your pace; unless you fly directly into a foe, or some planestriding villain with magic of his own crosses your path, you should be safe.

Althoigh it seems far longer, it takes less than a minute to arrive at your destination: a tower of unbroken stone, seemingly hewn from the adjacent cliff - though a chasm of some thirty feet across now separates the two - and descending into the depths beyond your sight. It is curiously mundane; there seems nothing horrific or overtly magical about its design. Perhaps that, too, is a part of its secrecy.

Natalia says nothing, perhaps worried about detection; but she indicates a point at the level of your flight, her eyes on Yara as she waits on the psion to grant you access.

15. - Top - End - #225

Yara nods at Natalia, then telepathically signals the psicrystal. The small cystal sends out her instructions, trying to coordinate everyone for the upcoming teleport.
    Hesa places a hand on Yara. The psicrystal moves in to join them, trying to form a psionic conduit.
    Spoiler: Dimension Door check
    Show

So, need to make some rolls. Psicraft. Manifesting Animal Affinity beforehand to aid the rolls.
    Is this a skill that can be influenced by Aid Another? If so, +4 to the rolls. Edit: Never mind then
    1: DC 21 (1d20+10)[21]
    2: DC 19 (1d20+10)[23]
    3: DC 19 (1d20+10)[27]

I think the first two can be attempted multiple times, I'm not sure, but the last one is vital and definitely can be failed with no retry. Failure does mean that Hesa can't dimension door and Yara needs to make a return trip to pick up the rest.

Edit:
    The psionic circle formed by the three started to glow as multiple psionic displays went off at once. Light poured from the eyes of Yara and Hesa, while the crystal just glowed brightly. A dimensional tear large enough to hold the assembled team roared open, swallowing them all and depositing them within the tower.
    (Add Lothrain and another NPC to Yara's teleport group now the construct is gone. The psicrystal and it's group arrive the next turn if it matters)
    Last edited by Timble; 2018-09-07 at 08:51 PM.

16. - Top - End - #226

Gunn and Perseus move into position as directed.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo also prepares for Yara's successful teleportation. He braces to be faced with an enemy allied to the greatest evil.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Flying through the spatial vortex created by Yara's power, you immediately find yourselves in a circular chamber, the floor inscribed with an intricate silver symbol, the walls plain and unadorned. The room has a diameter of perhaps thirty feet, the ceiling a little over ten feet high. Two exits lead out of the room, and Natalia points to the one to your left as you arrive.

No sooner have you taken this in than a cage of shimmering force, twenty feet square and filling the height of the room, springs into existence around you. At the same time, a seven-foot-tall humanoid, its scaled flesh covered in vicious barbs, appears in your midst.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Summoned creature 26
    Theo & Hesa 18
    Yara 16
    Gunn & Perseus 4
    Rosalind 1
    NPCs will act on 0 for convenience.

Before any of you can react to this sudden development, it begins to attack. With a hissed imprecation and a sweep of one barbed arm, it conjures a cloud of cloying, greasy darkness, which your senses register as cold even in the frigid air of that lightless place. It passes over all of you, but it has no effect on Natalia - nor, for all her recent progress, on Yara. It is the essence of pure evil, and its presence is anathema to all righteous hearts.

Spoiler: Unholy Blight
    Show
    22 points of damage to good characters / 11 to LN/N/CN characters, plus good characters are sickened for 3 rounds. Will save DC 18 for half (also negates the Sickened effect).

19. - Top - End - #229

"Your reconnaissance didn't tell you about this?" Yara says to Natalia. "Well, I suppose I can get rid of this problem."
    Focusing her mind, she tries to disconnect the creature from the magic that called it into the world.
    Spoiler: Dispel
    Show

(1d20+20)[24]

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The summoned creature vanishes as quickly as it came, the magic that brought it here cut off by Yara's quick thinking.

Natalia jumps at the creature's sudden appearance, then at its equally swift banishment. She gives Yara a grudging nod of respect.

"I told you there would be traps, and that I couldn't bypass the ones in the private sections. I didn't know the details - and I still don't know what lies ahead. I suspect there will be more."

She regards the cage around her with some irritation. "Anyone know how we get out?"

21. - Top - End - #231

"Well, the most obvious solution is to try dispel it," Yara says. "Or we could try teleporting, but that's going to take a lot of my power. We could try destroying the cage, but I don't know what it's vulnerable to. Does anyone know what it is?"
    She considers her options as she waits for answers and suggestions.
    "If these traps would appear using detect magic, I could stop us falling into any more of them."

22. - Top - End - #232

Gunn examines the cage, and then attempts to dispel it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will Save vs. Unholy Blight (Perseus) (1d20+12)[24]
    Will Save (Gunn) (1d20+13)[23]

Dispel vs. the Cage: (1d20+10)[19]

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Will save - (1d20+18)[27]

Theo thinks briefly, before summoning up his strength, channeling the blessings of Charis, and attempting to burst through the cage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    sorry if this is messy, I'm on my phone. using mountain hammer to overcome DR, and full power attack.

I forget which buffs are going on right now, but lemme try and wreck it without their consideration.

(1d20+4)[23] for (5d6+31)[49] excluding 2d6 from Holy because I doubt it is an evil cage

If the cage still stands, Theo grunts in frustration. I have Dimension Door prepared, I can get a few out. Otherwise I am short on ideas. he admits begrudgingly.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The unidentified cage of force proves impervious to Gunn's attempt to dispel it, and to Theo's attempt to break it by raw physical force.

Lothrain shakes his head in frustration. "Damn. Stymied by a box.

"Yara, can you bring the others in without getting them trapped with us? Maybe Asoryala can suggest something. Otherwise... I don't know, maybe we just wait it out. I doubt it will last forever."

25. - Top - End - #235

"I can help guide the psicrystal's group in so that they appear outside of the cage," Yara confirms with Lothrain. She calls out to the psicrystal, channelling through it her dimension tearing ability. Hopefully Arysola would know a way out of this cage.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Rosalind sits inside the box, what a very strange outcome she thinks, to defeat the enemy only to be trapped still in the cage meant to stop them from escaping. "Sadly any help I may be able to provide is at an all time low due to the circumstances. Add in that I wasted all but my healing spells earlier I have no other way out of this box then that which you have all suggested. Whatever we are going to do though I would do it soon." the red haired priestess says to no one in particular as she proceeds to ask how everyone was feeling after that blast.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If more than half the party has lost hit points I will use Mass Cure Light wounds to heal us all (1d8+24)[27] + 34 temp hp

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo waits to see the rest of the party appear on the other side of the magical, but otherwise nondescript cage of force. Once they arrive, Theo targets himself and his group with Dimension Door, and beckons them onward towards the phylactery. The less time they could spend here, the better.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As the group is reunited on the opposite side of the nomenclature - defying cage of force, Natalia signals a halt.

"There will be more traps," she confidently pronounces. "We cannot bypass them - but we can make sure they do as little harm as possible. To us, at least."

So saying, she murmurs an Infernal invocation, and summons a trio of creatures resembling apes, but with crimson scales instead of fur and rows of small horns down either side of their heads. She sends them ahead of you, one at a time; each gets a certain distance before triggering a trap, being promptly pierced with spikes, crushed by moving walls, and slashed with blades. Watching the slaughter impassively, the Priestess only responds to the grizzly death of the last fiendish ape by summoning two more, and repeating the exercise.

Asoryala moves to stand beside Natalia, calling her own summoned creatures - a pair of fiendish wolves - to join the grim march.

Lothrain grimaces, casting Theo a sour glance. " These may be evil creatures, but this feels more like torture than justice."

"It is necessary,"
    Asoryala responds softly. "We cannot bypass the traps. Therefore they must be triggered. Our only choice is in what circumstances to trigger them."

Lothrain says nothing further, beyond a grumble that you might as well be trumpeting your arrival.

It takes several minutes of painfully slow progress, watching as summoned creatures are impaled, crushed, slain by magic or driven mad, before at last you find yourself on the upper floor of the building.

The chamber is a similar size and shape to the one into which you arrived. It is dominated, however, by a metallic box, twenty feet on each side, and inscribed with a repeated pattern of symbols and text.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Arcana) DC 15
    Show
    The symbols are the focus for powerful abjuration magic - designed to channel a level of power far beyond mortal spells. They appear to be active. Two symbols are currently inactive.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Arcana) DC 25
    Show
    One of the symbols seems designed to allow objects, light and sound to pass through the box walls. Another seems designed to deactivate the warding spells.

The text is repeated in dozens of languages, although not in Common, and the dialects used are archaic. Asoryala steps forward and reads from a section in Elven characters, for the benefit of those unable to read a section themselves:

"The Betrayer did not fall alone. Lesser servants of our Lady than He fell with Him. For their part in His treason, they are damned for all eternity, foe to Life and Death alike.

"Chief among these was Melchizar, who was once counted a being of great honour and power. When the Betrayer fell, Melchizar held the Bridge of Souls to allow Him to flee, condemning hundreds of loyal warriors to oblivion. He then destroyed the Bridge behind him and fled.

"For two centuries, he wrought his Master's evil throughout the Planes, until at last he was captured during the War of the Ways.

"Knowing death had no power over Melchizar, he was sentenced to imprisonment for all time, or until he might one day repent of his ways and turn back to Our Lady."

Spoiler: Knowledge (Religion) DC 20
    Show
    Melchizar is the name of the first vampire, a former servant of Torae who joined the Betrayer's rebellion. He was sentenced to eternal incarceration, for he cannot be permanently killed. His prison cell was stolen by worshippers of the Betrayer centuries ago.

29. - Top - End - #239

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Hesa Will Fix: (1d20+16)[29]
    Yara Arcana(15): [roll]1d20+10]/roll] Well, another roll to fix
    Yara Arcana(25): (1d20+10)[23]
    Yara Rel(20): (1d20+11)[22]
    Crystal Arcana(15): (1d20+7)[10]
    Crystal Arcana(25): (1d20+7)[10]
    Crystal Rel(20): (1d20+8)[14]

"Better them then us," Yara nods. Seeing the creatures march to their deaths was disturbing, but much better than risking her own life. Hesa didn't seem the slightest bit bothered.

"So, if that story is relevant, Shroud stuck his phylactery in a box with a powerful undead. From the earliest days of there being evil undead. Fun."
    Last edited by Timble; 2018-09-14 at 08:48 AM.

30. - Top - End - #240

Gunn shakes his head sadly, but says nothing.