Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Mist Elemental - Thoughts and Discussion

    I'm playing a wizard from a noble house with a sort of thematic tie to mists (owing to their prevalence around the family demesne). I discussed with my DM the possibility of coming up with some sort of mist elemental to summon with the conjure elemental spell (although it would have been nice if a mist elemental had been published with Tome of Foes). In some respects, it should be pretty simple; one can model it as the average of air and water elementals in terms of hit points, ability scores, and the like. However, I'm somewhat perplexed as to what abilities it should possess to make it feel properly special and in keeping with mist. I can't really see such a creature battering things to death, so some sort of whirlwind ability a la the air elemental, or even the bludgeoning default attacks of the parent creatures, seem somewhat out of place. I was thinking about making it do cold damage, but mist never really gets that cold—a few points a round might be appropriate, but not enough to make it on par with the other elementals. Perhaps a constriction attack? Movement is tricky, too. Should it fly? It definitely shouldn't have a swim speed. Mist is generally close to the ground, so I could envision giving it a walking speed but adding a note saying it ignores certain terrain obstacles.

    What do you think? What sort of active abilities and attack types should a mist elemental have?

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: Mist Elemental - Thoughts and Discussion

    Suggestions:
    Some abilities off of Water elemental? Mist is water droplets suspended in air. Possibly change the Whirlwind effect to Whelm from the water elemental. Still deals Bludgeoning, but Has that constriction effect you wanted.
    Give it the ability to cast Fog Cloud at first level some number of times per day

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: Mist Elemental - Thoughts and Discussion

    This is D&D, so you need to consider the symbolic aspects of mist just as much as the physical ones. Mist distorts the senses and makes it difficult to sense one’s world around then clearly. Thusly, it is heavily associated with the unknown, uncertainty, mystery, loneliness, ominousness, illusions and distortion. It is frequently related to the occult too and even Dracula (from the book, I have no idea what he did in the movie) had a tendency to create mist.

    So maybe instead of a sort of constriction ability, have it be able to surround a foe and Blind them (as per the Blinded condition). And due to mist frequently being associated with negative energy and occultism, necrotic damage could make thematic sense. Poison or acid damage could also be cool. I also really like the idea of having it have a walking speed but ignoring physical obstacles.

    I think the best way to treat a mist elemental is really advertising the gaseous form. So maybe it can follow swarm rules and the elemental can walk into another creature’s space and can only damage them in that space.

    To me, a mist elemental curling around a person’s body and making them lose contact with their senses as it sucks the life force out of them is much cooler than a mist elemental somehow constricting and bludgeoning someone.
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: Mist Elemental - Thoughts and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    This is D&D, so you need to consider the symbolic aspects of mist just as much as the physical ones. Mist distorts the senses and makes it difficult to sense one’s world around then clearly. Thusly, it is heavily associated with the unknown, uncertainty, mystery, loneliness, ominousness, illusions and distortion. It is frequently related to the occult too and even Dracula (from the book, I have no idea what he did in the movie) had a tendency to create mist.

    So maybe instead of a sort of constriction ability, have it be able to surround a foe and Blind them (as per the Blinded condition). And due to mist frequently being associated with negative energy and occultism, necrotic damage could make thematic sense. Poison or acid damage could also be cool. I also really like the idea of having it have a walking speed but ignoring physical obstacles.

    I think the best way to treat a mist elemental is really advertising the gaseous form. So maybe it can follow swarm rules and the elemental can walk into another creature’s space and can only damage them in that space.

    To me, a mist elemental curling around a person’s body and making them lose contact with their senses as it sucks the life force out of them is much cooler than a mist elemental somehow constricting and bludgeoning someone.
    I am inclined to agree. I'd like it to have some sort of active ability, though, something to do more than just "move into opponent's space."

    It's a shame this isn't for 3.5. Having some sort of save vs. shaken effect would have been quite appropriate. By comparison, the frightened effect doesn't really work as well when the source of the fear surrounds the target.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: Mist Elemental - Thoughts and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    I am inclined to agree. I'd like it to have some sort of active ability, though, something to do more than just "move into opponent's space."

    It's a shame this isn't for 3.5. Having some sort of save vs. shaken effect would have been quite appropriate. By comparison, the frightened effect doesn't really work as well when the source of the fear surrounds the target.
    I tried my best attempt at statting the mist elemental out in the homebrewery link below. It appears to be a little bit weaker than the other elementals, but when it comes to homebrew player options I tend to think underpowered things are more likely to be accepted than overpowered ones.

    http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HySstqxqk7
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: Mist Elemental - Thoughts and Discussion

    Is that why it has two fewer "hit dice" than any other elemental?

    Why is the necrotic damage so high? The others all use 2d8 or 2d6 for their natural attacks.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: Mist Elemental - Thoughts and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    Is that why it has two fewer "hit dice" than any other elemental?

    Why is the necrotic damage so high? The others all use 2d8 or 2d6 for their natural attacks.
    I was just basing the damage and hit dice off of a creature of that CR (Page 274 of the DMG). I can decrease the damage and increase the hit points if you would like. Currently though it is an almost perfect example of a CR 5 monster*, like all the other elementals.

    *It's technically dealing slightly less damage than a CR 5 creature should (3 less to be exact)
    Last edited by Requilac; 2018-05-30 at 04:57 PM.
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: Mist Elemental - Thoughts and Discussion

    See, I hadn't even thought about those sort of tables. I was just comparing it to the other elementals, since the four MM ones seem to have a common "chassis" to their stats.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: Mist Elemental - Thoughts and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    See, I hadn't even thought about those sort of tables. I was just comparing it to the other elementals, since the four MM ones seem to have a common "chassis" to their stats.
    Alright, I recalculated some of the stats. It should be much closer to the other elementals now. The health was definetely raised by a decent amount. I made some miscalculations which I just now fixed.
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: Mist Elemental - Thoughts and Discussion

    My DM thinks that looks great!

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    EST

    Default Re: Mist Elemental - Thoughts and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    My DM thinks that looks great!
    Glad to see that I could be of help! I hope your future is foggy and unclear from now on... I mean, best of luck.
    5e Monster Features Index

    My D&D 5e homebrew

    The Necronomicon: >30 Page Lovecraftian Supplement

    The Investigator Base Class Won 3rd place in the 1st GitP 5e base class contest

    Yubsharasehn Vampyres Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters

    Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •