New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default [3.5] Mundane Weapon Enhancements

I had an idea for a mundane weapon enhancement, one that can be applied with just a craft check while comforting the weapon. Call it Heavy or something, but it allows the weapon to be treated as a effort category higher for the purposes of power attack. Meaning a light weapon is treated as one handed and thus allows for a 1:1 power attack. Cost maybe 300 gp more and increases weight by 5 or double, whichever is less. A one-handed weapon is treated as two handed for power attack and allows 1:2 power attack ratio. Costs 500 gp and increases by 8 or double weight, whichever is less.

Does something like this exist or is this an idea that is unbalanced to apply?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Mundane Weapon Enhancements

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeTheCat View Post
    I had an idea for a mundane weapon enhancement, one that can be applied with just a craft check while comforting the weapon. Call it Heavy or something, but it allows the weapon to be treated as a effort category higher for the purposes of power attack. Meaning a light weapon is treated as one handed and thus allows for a 1:1 power attack. Cost maybe 300 gp more and increases weight by 5 or double, whichever is less. A one-handed weapon is treated as two handed for power attack and allows 1:2 power attack ratio. Costs 500 gp and increases by 8 or double weight, whichever is less.

Does something like this exist or is this an idea that is unbalanced to apply?
    Probably balanced if done carefully. One setting I had (which was Pathfinder not 3.5 but close enough) I made it so that some +1 and +1 keen weapons were not magical but rather simply very well forged blades. This was in part because I was trying to reduce how common magic in the setting was. This seemed to go ok. I ruled that such weapons were "magical" for purposes of overcoming DR so that DR really meant "magical or very, very sharp." This was only one campaign but I didn't notice any issues. A few of the other basic enhancements can also be probably fluffed as non-magical, but as you allow for more of them, more balance issues may show up.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: [3.5] Mundane Weapon Enhancements

It's not technically unbalanced (nor particularly dangerous optimization-wise), but at high levels, the cost becomes nearly negligible, with no real opportunity cost to applying it. I would only OK it in my own campaign if other, competing enhancements were also available.
    My one piece of homebrew: The Shaman. A Druid replacement with more powerlevel control.
    The bargain bin- malfunctioning, missing, and broken magic items.
    Spirit Barbarian: The Barbarian, with heavy elements from the Shaman. Complete up to level 17.
    The Priest: A cleric reword which ran out of steam. Still a fun prestige class suitable for E6.
    The Coward: Not every hero can fight.