New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    ...Out of things they loot from their enemies, from a war.
    Most meks are too busy building to search stuff, they usually rely on lootas to get them the good bitz.

...Off of things they loot from their enemies, from a war
    Looting allied/neutral remains or accident places or old ruins is also perfectly acceptable

...To make things to fight war better.
    The healing comes before the killing.

To eat their enemies, in a war.
    There's also transport squigs and hair squigs and assorted utility squigs and tasty squigs to be used as snacks and even pet squigs that orks just like to keep around.

Where their currency is either teef, which they get from punching each other in the mouth and to the victor goes the spoils, or trading loot they got in war, for other gear they can use to kill things, in order to loot stuff.
    Although punching other orks for their teef is acceptable, a lot of orks will use their own teef in a pinch, and thanks to that no ork is reduced to extreme poverty as they're always growing new teef. Doks in particular will happily patch unfortonate orks and collect the payment at the same time.

Orks are literally in a classic RPG Loop; Fight stuff to buy stuff to fight harder stuff.
    Contrast with the Imperium that's basically a giant failing engine pumping out guardsmen and sphech merines that live only for war and exploting planets for their resources so they can exploit more planets for their resources. Well, more of a falling spiral as eventually they'll run out of planets to exploit. Ork planets are actually pretty self-sustainable stuff.

Plus orks have stuff like speed freaks that like to race just for the sake of racing, and other stuff just for personal enjoyment that doesn't involve hurting anybody else like getting pet squigs. Ork kulture is plain superior, even the eldar agree.

The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-03-06 at 11:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

2. - Top - End - #992
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Fair point though in contrast we have orks who just straight up don't give a damn and run around looking for thing to fight while playing make believe with their toys. That works out okay for them, so how much does chaos really need to get their act together to do the thing?
    I would argue that kind of proves my point - neither of them have gotten their act together and sorted out their logistics, and as a result neither of them have overthrown the Imperium in 10,000 years of trying.

In the defence of the Orks, they're not TRYING to extinguish all of their competition; they just want to fight forever, which means that in some ways they're handicapping themselves so that they don't win and find themselves with nothing to do. I doubt they're doing it consciously, which is why they usually turn to in-fighting when they realise that the next really great fight is against another Ork....

Chaos, on the other hand, are similarly disorganised but they DO want to conquer the galaxy and, specifically, tear down the entire Imperium. Yet they're doing it with the same methodology - looting and pillaging - as the Orks, who similarly have made only so much progress before collapsing under their own weight every time.

Chaos is its own worst enemy. That's what the Cabal said right in the beginning, and its still true now.

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12
    The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.
    A quote from that famously honest, trustworthy and completely reliable human who never ever says or does anything misleading, Eldrad Ulthuan.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

3. - Top - End - #993
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

If I remember correctly, the Iron Warriors are very industrious when it comes to building their own gear and their own fortesses, but they are the exception in an otherwise murderhobo life style group.

The Orks are very much capable of building their own stuff as there are many worlds that have been inhabited solely by them for millennia and they produce all they ned to whaaag! each other and everybody else. Raiding is just more fun to them.^^ And it is the gretchins and snotlings that do the menial labour anyway

4. - Top - End - #994

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Platinius View Post
    If I remember correctly, the Iron Warriors are very industrious when it comes to building their own gear and their own fortesses, but they are the exception in an otherwise murderhobo life style group.
    It did occur to me as soon as I'd typed it, that I had probably picked a Legion for whom that specific answer wouldn't really matter.

The Iron Warriors actually have Warpsmiths, and forgeworlds, and stuff - if anyone has ammo to spare, it's probably them.

Similarly the Black Legion, who are just huge and mega-rich. They have so much territory and man-power that they seem to do okay.

The Word Bearers wouldn't care, they'd just sic a daemon on you or stab you with their magic knives.

The World Eaters wouldn't care because KILL MAIM BURN KILL MAIM BURN etc

The Thousand Sons don't use conventional ammo and are all wizards, so bullets aren't important.

The Death Guard are probably similar - they're so screwed up that its debatable if their guns are even guns in the traditional sense.

That just leaves the Emperor's Children - who would probably get off on the sound of a gun dry-firing or something - and the Night Lords who... yeah, they're the guys who tend to get their planets blown up and go raiding for funzies.

...So.... 8/9 Legions have ways to deal with it.... What was my argument about poor logistics again?

5. - Top - End - #995
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Funny thing is the World Eaters actually do care, chainaxes gotta be kept in working condition, no sorcerors means keeping vehicles and guns working well too and more in particular their apotecharies are top-notch and can churn out new legionaires faster than anybody else, which is the only reason why they haven't wiped themselves out that with fronstabbing each other all the time for anything and nothing. This is, their "hero"'s special ability is literally teamkilling!

...So.... 8/9 Legions have ways to deal with it.... What was my argument about poor logistics again?
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

6. - Top - End - #996

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Funny thing is the World Eaters actually do care, chainaxes gotta be kept in working condition, no sorcerors means keeping vehicles and guns working well too
    World Eaters should care, for all of the reasons that you have listed and more.

Worlds Eaters don't care because KILL MAIM BURN KILL MAIM BURN!

more in particular their apotecharies are top-notch and can churn out new legionaires faster than anybody else
    I was always under the impression that there were plenty of World Eaters around because they were one of the biggest at the onset of the Heresy, and while they tended to get mown down by enemies or teamkilled by their allies they just soaked up the casualties and pushed through.

I didn't know about the Horus Heresy campaign books, that say that a few World Eaters finally got their heads together and are mass producing Berserkers from clone vats and then brain-washing them into thinking that they're centuries-old veterans, until I went looking for the source on this. Neat stuff, thanks.

[EDIT] Okay, turns out that Bodt - the planet where this happened - was razed by the Iron Hands in M31.8, and whether or not it was moved or otherwise set up elsewhere is unknown. I suppose it must have, given that there are any World Eaters still around in M42.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-03-07 at 07:00 AM.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Troll in the Playground

World Eater's only really go all KILL MAIM BURN in battle, between them even Kharn's reasonably lucid and capable of long term planning and maintaining the basic infrastructure required to continue the Long War.

They do have anger issues and duel a lot, but they aren't exactly killing another chaos marine every single day.

Look at Zhufor for example, who was able to take control of most of the warbands on Vraks and then take control of the heretic defenses on the planet and become overall commander there and was still sane enough to flee with his warband when things went south.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

8. - Top - End - #998

Repeat the mantra of saneness: Warhammer 40K doesn't make sense. And it's not a bug, it's a feature.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Colossus in the Playground

A quote from that famously honest, trustworthy and completely reliable human who never ever says or does anything misleading, Eldrad Ulthuan.
    Apparently it was from some random Eldar philosopher called Uthan the Perverse - but I suppose that could be an Eldrad pseudonym
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't know about the Horus Heresy campaign books, that say that a few World Eaters finally got their heads together and are mass producing Berserkers from clone vats and then brain-washing them into thinking that they're centuries-old veterans, until I went looking for the source on this. Neat stuff, thanks.
    You're welcome.

World Eaters almost make sense if you consider that 99% of them are freshly brainwashed clones.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    World Eater's only really go all KILL MAIM BURN in battle, between them even Kharn's reasonably lucid and capable of long term planning and maintaining the basic infrastructure required to continue the Long War.

They do have anger issues and duel a lot, but they aren't exactly killing another chaos marine every single day.

Look at Zhufor for example, who was able to take control of most of the warbands on Vraks and then take control of the heretic defenses on the planet and become overall commander there and was still sane enough to flee with his warband when things went south.
    You do remember how Kharn got his nickname, right?

World Eaters: The weather is freezing too much, we need to disengage and seek shelter for the night!
    Kharn: Oooohhh you're feeling too cold to keep fighting? Freezing to death are we? Here, let me help you warm up with this flamer. BURN! BURN! BURN! KILL! BURN! BURN! MAIM! BURN! BURN! KILL! BURN! MAIM! BURN! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN!

Kharn kept doing it all night long, surviving the deadly cold with the warmth of his burning comrades.

And that's how the Word Bearer's legion got broken into a bunch of warbands. Not because they were being chased by loyalist scum, not because they were fighting the Emperor's Children, but simply because Kharn went "screw long term planning and basic infrastructure, BURN EVERYTHING!"
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-03-07 at 09:02 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Troll in the Playground

I would argue that kind of proves my point - neither of them have gotten their act together and sorted out their logistics, and as a result neither of them have overthrown the Imperium in 10,000 years of trying.
    The point I was getting at was more that, despite constant infighting, Orks are fairly successful in doing what they do, the infighting in practically a boon. Heck, they're probably more successful than Chaos in this respect given that they've managed to destroy notable worlds, keep constant pressure on others, created catastrophic threats against the Imperium on multiple occassions, and still have a Destroyer moon handing over Terra. And as you noted, this is without actually trying to destroy the Imperium.

So Chaos' bickering and infighting isn't necessarily the problem I think. In fairness to Chaos it could be that the allocation of Imperium resources are directed more towards fighting Chaos meaning we're looking at an apples and oranges comparison. Or it could simply be that Chaos is a bunch of drooling idiots that don't just play with fire but want to light the building on fire after chaining themselves in.

Tl/dr: Chaos is dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Ettin in the Playground

It did occur to me as soon as I'd typed it, that I had probably picked a Legion for whom that specific answer wouldn't really matter.

The Iron Warriors actually have Warpsmiths, and forgeworlds, and stuff - if anyone has ammo to spare, it's probably them.

Similarly the Black Legion, who are just huge and mega-rich. They have so much territory and man-power that they seem to do okay.

The Word Bearers wouldn't care, they'd just sic a daemon on you or stab you with their magic knives.

The Thousand Sons don't use conventional ammo and are all wizards, so bullets aren't important.

The Death Guard are probably similar - they're so screwed up that its debatable if their guns are even guns in the traditional sense.

That just leaves the Emperor's Children - who would probably get off on the sound of a gun dry-firing or something - and the Night Lords who... yeah, they're the guys who tend to get their planets blown up and go raiding for funzies.

You forgot old Alpharius.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

13. - Top - End - #1003

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Uthan the Perverse
    I did wonder if I had that exactly right, but the sentiment remains the same.
    There is a name that inspires trust!

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    You do remember how Kharn got his nickname, right?
    Of all the World Eaters, Khârn is probably the worst example of a furious, insane psychopath. Sure; prior to and during the Heresy he was every bit as nuts as the rest of his brothers, but after almost dying at the Siege of Terra he came back.... different.

There's a short story called The Eight-Fold Path where, some unspecified time after the Heresy and Skallathrax, Khârn is out taking care of business - specifically, wandering the warp murdering each of the World Eaters Captains and Chapter Masters, to make damn sure that the Legion is broken and no one of any significance can ever rise to power again.

During this story, he is put into a gladiatorial bout with a Black Rage'd Blood Angel, and most of the text is a violent and gruesome list of the things that he wants to do to the guy, biting out his throat and ripping away limbs in a flurry of gore.... But instead, he ignores that urge and simply stabs the guy in the head with a short sword, almost like Sherlock Holmes doing a "scan" to predict the best way to win.
    He's absolutely ice cold when he does it, too. He's utterly mastered the rage inside of himself, and only lets it out to play when he specifically wants to do so.

So Chaos' bickering and infighting isn't necessarily the problem I think. In fairness to Chaos it could be that the allocation of Imperium resources are directed more towards fighting Chaos meaning we're looking at an apples and oranges comparison. Or it could simply be that Chaos is a bunch of drooling idiots that don't just play with fire but want to light the building on fire after chaining themselves in.

Tl/dr: Chaos is dumb.
    Sounds about right to me. Chaos can't conquer the Imperium because they're badly organised and poorly funded, and even if they did manage it they would find a way to screw it up in record time.

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Except the Traitor Legions are not really Legions anymore. They are mostly broken up into warbands that are too small for any of the large scale stuff.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

On a tangent, but what do people imagine Eldar sound like when they're speaking Gothic? I'm playing around with a voice-changing program to try and add some thematics to my roll20 campaign.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    On a tangent, but what do people imagine Eldar sound like when they're speaking Gothic? I'm playing around with a voice-changing program to try and add some thematics to my roll20 campaign.
    Normal eldar - whiny children. Though for fun, Keanu Reeves (seriously, imagine an eldar telling a space marine how to save a planet in Keanu Reeves' voice)
    Deldar - Starscream
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Troll in the Playground

Slightly high pitched, mellow but insanely smug and condescending at the same time
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Troll in the Playground

For those who can't/don't deign to speak that tongue, and instead use a translator (I recall that being done in the third Path of the Eldar book), there's always to good old text-to-speech devices.

19. - Top - End - #1009

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    For those who can't/don't deign to speak that tongue, and instead use a translator (I recall that being done in the third Path of the Eldar book), there's always to good old text-to-speech devices.
    Only problem with that would be sounding too similar to a Necron voice. Gotta keep them distinct.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Troll in the Playground

Only problem with that would be sounding too similar to a Necron voice. Gotta keep them distinct.
    Ah, yeah, that's fair.
    Right, other races exist.

21. - Top - End - #1011

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Ah, yeah, that's fair.
    Right, other races exist.
    If the Eldar would voluntarily admit any other race exists, its going to be the Necrons. No one holds a grudge for a hundred million years like Eldar. :)

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Titan in the Playground

Welsh. words
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

23. - Top - End - #1013

Griffon

Eldar language is spoken in a way that sounds "melodic", and written phonetically it looks/reads a lot like Welsh/Irish Gaelic. I imagine it to have a lot of drawn out and rounded vowels, which to humans sounds almost dreamy, like drawn out sighs.
    I don't want to use the word "stoner" as that could give them wrong impression of them being lackadaisical or ignorant, but that sort of spaced out accent feels appropriate.

As for their actual voice, I always liked how they were portrayed in the Dawn of War games - mostly human, but with a "buzz" created by some kind of modulator. While predating Mass Effect by over a decade, they sound like Turians - it puts me in mind of someone with an extra vocal chord who usually speaks at tones and pitchs inauduble to humans and is being forced to slow themselves down.

Necrons, meanwhile, sounds like Reapers. Barely a voice at all, just a monotonous drone and completely synthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by LCP
    Welsh.
    Dang it, ninja'd

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Ogre in the Playground

Most of those example sentences are in fact completely intelligible Irish, except the first and last - perhaps those are completely intelligible Welsh.

25. - Top - End - #1015

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Thragka View Post
    Most of those example sentences are in fact completely intelligible Irish, except the first and last - perhaps those are completely intelligible Welsh.
    Google tells me that most of it is gibberish, with one or two Galician (north-western Spain) words thrown in out of context and not at all matching the given meaning. It's quite niche, so I imagine it may just be coincidence that randomly mashed together letters have made a foreign sounding word.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Titan in the Playground

Normal eldar - whiny children. Though for fun, Keanu Reeves (seriously, imagine an eldar telling a space marine how to save a planet in Keanu Reeves' voice)
    Deldar - Starscream
    Bonus points: Specifically Keanu Reaves playing Theodore Logan.

Also, Starscream Deldar is my new headcanon.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Deldar - Starscream
    My friend who plays Drukhari does an almost pitch perfect Cobra Commander. So that's how I imagine them. So it's good to know we're all on the same page.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-03-07 at 08:44 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Troll in the Playground

The DEldar in DoW were basically doing Starscream impressions anyway.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Titan in the Playground

...Out of things they loot from their enemies, from a war.

...Off of things they loot from their enemies, from a war

...To make things to fight war better.

To eat their enemies, in a war.

Where their currency is either teef, which they get from punching each other in the mouth and to the victor goes the spoils, or trading loot they got in war, for other gear they can use to kill things, in order to loot stuff.

Orks are literally in a classic RPG Loop; Fight stuff to buy stuff to fight harder stuff.
    And from fighting they get bigger, stronger, and smarter.

...They literally level up.

I feel like I've been enlightened. Everything about Orks makes even more sense now.

It's not that Ork guns can fire without bullets, it's that they just are 'forgetting' to keep track of their ammo!
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2019-03-08 at 12:26 AM.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Ogre in the Playground

Of all the World Eaters, Khârn is probably the worst example of a furious, insane psychopath. Sure; prior to and during the Heresy he was every bit as nuts as the rest of his brothers, but after almost dying at the Siege of Terra he came back.... different.

There's a short story called The Eight-Fold Path where, some unspecified time after the Heresy and Skallathrax, Khârn is out taking care of business - specifically, wandering the warp murdering each of the World Eaters Captains and Chapter Masters, to make damn sure that the Legion is broken and no one of any significance can ever rise to power again.

During this story, he is put into a gladiatorial bout with a Black Rage'd Blood Angel, and most of the text is a violent and gruesome list of the things that he wants to do to the guy, biting out his throat and ripping away limbs in a flurry of gore.... But instead, he ignores that urge and simply stabs the guy in the head with a short sword, almost like Sherlock Holmes doing a "scan" to predict the best way to win.
    He's absolutely ice cold when he does it, too. He's utterly mastered the rage inside of himself, and only lets it out to play when he specifically wants to do so.
    Kharn before: a crazy teamkiller.
    Kharn after: still a crazy teamkiller.

Where's the difference again?
    He never was one for exotic killings, he certainly didn't make it to one of the highest officer positions in the legion by being inneficient at murderizing others. And after all Kharn's lord and master Khorne just demands blood and skulls, not fancy executions. The faster Kharn kills each target, the faster he collects blood and skulls to please allmighty Khorne.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-03-08 at 09:33 AM.