Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Curse of the Crimson Throne OoC

IC Thread

Player Details Sheet Color
    AutumnLotus Elf-Blooded Ifriti Swashbuckler, professional bodyguard from a distant land, missing daughter Zhen "Fey" Xifei Burnt Orange
    Sporeegg Half-Orc Shoanti Slayer, man tracker, missing nephew Siodhachan 'Siod' Glunmar Dark Green
    DrMartin Human Alchemist, eccentric scientist, addicted friend(s) Hector Morris Ashburnum-Whit Goldenrod
    Therumancer Aasimar Paladin, temple guard, unhappy childhood - religious Solange Firebrick

As long-term residents of the city you are all at least vaguely aware of its layout and various districts. Please feel free to reference the map and details provided below at any point. Additionally I would like each player to make two d20 rolls for your starting rumors. You may also select your speech color. An IC thread will be up soon.

Spoiler: Korvosa City Details
    Show
    Spoiler: Korvosa City Map
    Show

Korvosa is divided into six distinct districts, each with its own subdivisions of neighborhoods, as summarized below:
    East Shore: Home to a handful of noble houses, East Shore has no subdivisions within its boarders.
    The Heights: Nearly all of Korvosa's power players reside in the heights, Korvosa's administrative heart.
    • Citadel Crest: The wealthiest neighborhood in the city
    • Cliffside: Second only to Citadel Crest in its influence, Cliffside hosts much of Korvosa's aristocracy
    • University: Those that dwell here may not own a lot of wealth, but they are undeniably rich in knowledge.
    Midland: Cosmopolitan and friendly, Midland is the social heart of Korvosa
    • High Bridge: The primary inhabitants of this residential district are laborers or the families of those working in the Korvosan Guard or Sable Company.
    • Pillar Hill: This is Korvosa's most demographically diverse neighborhood.
    • Slope: This neighborhood features a large number of small and private libraries, museums, and other bastions of culture.
    • West Dock: This rugged neighborhood contains no significant residences, and instead features several warehouses and food processing buildings.
    North Point: The seat of Korvosa's municipal power, this was the fist section of the mainland settled by the city's Chelish founders.
    • Five Corners: A crowded residential ward, this neighborhood caters to the city's politicians and their underlings.
    • Mainshore: Once the site of some of the bloodiest battles in Korvosa's early history, this are is where Korvosa's truly old money still resides.
    • Northgate: Many of Korvosa's non-noble elites and old-money families dwell in this residential neighborhood.
    • Ridgefield: This is the most crowded of North Point's neighborhoods, plagued with poverty and desperation.
    Old Korvosa: The original site of the city, the oldest district in Korvosa is its most crowded and least affluent today.
    • Bridgefront: Crowded but narrow, Bridgefront is a dismal and filthy slum.
    • Fort Korvosa: Once the heart of Korvosa's military strength, this neighborhood is a decaying remant of its former glory
    • Garrison Hill: cramped and bustling with activity, Garrison Hill fights a constant battle to acoid the decay and destitution of its neighboring wards
    • Old Dock: Only the awful state of Bridgefront's slums keeps decaying Old Dock from being Korvosa's most run-down and least desirable neighborhood.
    Southern Korvosa:
    • South Shore: Much more open than most of the rest of the city, South Shore hosts much of Korvosa's new nobility.
    • Gray: Once considered its own district, the city's sprawling cemeteries are now considered to be part of Southern Korvosa.
    Last edited by Obscuraphile; 2018-06-11 at 01:37 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Curse of the Crimson Throne OoC

Excited to be here! I'd like to choose Grey.

Two d20 rolls? (2d20)[7][3](10)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Dark Green. I (don't) speak for the trees.

How would we all have met? I can tie a few characters to my profession as a man hunter. We could start off planning how to find Lamm.
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-05-30 at 06:02 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Oh, you need rumors? I'll give you rumors! (2d20)[6][3](9)

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Dark Green. I (don't) speak for the trees.

How would we all have met? I can tie a few characters to my profession as a man hunter. We could start off planning how to find Lamm.
    It's being handled

6. - Top - End - #6

Okay IC thread is up!

Sporeegg, would you be so kind as to include a consolidated backstory in your sheet?

7. - Top - End - #7

What can I roll for the meanings of the tapestries?

8. - Top - End - #8

Arcana or Local

9. - Top - End - #9

Free Inspiration? Don't mind if I do.

Knowledge (Local): (1d20+10)[29] + (1d6)[2]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll go with Fire Brick for my color

Rumors:

1. (1d20)[11]
    2. (1d20)[9]

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    Free Inspiration? Don't mind if I do.

Knowledge (Local): 31
    Spoiler: Okay, wow
    Show
    You know that the three tapestries depict Heaven, Hell, and the Judge. These are common figures in Varisian folklore and are often invoked as part of traditional fortune telling. While not all Varisian fortune tellers are genuinely gifted there are some that possess true gifts. Their magic is not the flashy kind that can be measured and studied but it is no less potent in wise hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Therumancer View Post
    Rumors:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In your time as a temple guard you have overheard many conversations. It's not that you eavesdrop, but people have a tendency to forget that you are there. One of the most common bits of urban legend that you hear over and over is about the Curse of the Crimson Throne. Many people in the city literally believe that the high seat of Korvosa is cursed. Their evidence is that no royal ass that has ever touched the throne has died of old age, nor has any ever produced an heir. More recently talk has been about the Shoanti tribe that has encamped outside the city walls. People say that they are raiders and pillagers here to see if the city is ripe for plundering.
    Last edited by Obscuraphile; 2018-05-30 at 08:49 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Hello everyone, and Obscuraphile thanks for setting this up, was looking forward to this :)

Hector speech will invoke the suggestion of a warmer color not unlike this

Roll for rumors: [roll0] [roll1]

And I'd like to roll to know the traditional associations/symbolism/meaning associated with the Tarot card I've found in the introduction - what should I roll for that?

Roll to see if I can figure out something about the tapestries as well: Knowledge local [roll2]

Hector is a bit skittish about drugs and hallucinogens in general after the recent events, so he'll go and inspect the incense sticks just in case, to be sure they're not fogging our minds. I figure this is covered by craft(alchemy), but in case I should roll another skill, I'll adjust the modifier: [roll3]
    Last edited by DrMartin; 2018-05-31 at 01:01 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

I hit preview post and that botched my rolls - good to know that's how it works

Rumors: (1d20)[8] (1d20)[10]

Knowledge Local Re: Tapestries: (1d20+11)[23]

Craft Alchemy Re: Incense: (1d20+10)[20]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Honestly I'd rather know if this style of chair fits the general wealth of the area. They seem too pompous.

Appraise (1d20+2)[11]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

And perception for being the "club bouncer" outside: [roll0]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

And perception for being the "club bouncer" outside: (1d20+7)[17]
    didnt seem to work: (1d20+7)[17]

17. - Top - End - #17

Sporegg, can you use speech marks, please? The lack of those combined with a dark colors makes it hard to distinguish thoughts, actions, and dialogue. At least, for me it does.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I added them. I agree with you.

A question for the DM. the Skoan-Quah are focussed on death and repose in original Golarion. Are you simplifying the tribes or do you keep it this way? The tribe is the closest one to the city, and the mountains - being closer to the gods - are perfect for burial reasons. But honestly they'd likely just live there because no one else claims these regions.
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-05-31 at 11:46 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Thank you kindly.

20. - Top - End - #20

Was asleep once ooc was up xD I'll go with Burnt Orange

Also (1d20)[6] (1d20)[11]
    Last edited by AutumnLotus; 2018-05-31 at 05:13 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by DrMartin View Post
    And I'd like to roll to know the traditional associations/symbolism/meaning associated with the Tarot card I've found in the introduction - what should I roll for that?
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMartin View Post
    Rumors: 8 ; 10

Knowledge Local Re: Tapestries: 23

Craft Alchemy Re: Incense: 20
    Roll your Lore skill for that.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: Rumors
    Show
    You have some knowledge of the legal structure of Korvosan society. There are a group of legislative judges called Arbiters. A few decades ago there were a spree of murders known as the Key-Lock Killings. Nine people were murdered in their own homes with their doors locked. Seven of these nine had strong ties to noble houses that directly opposed the Arbiters. Some people say that the Arbiters paid the Key-Lock Killer, others say that the Key-Lock Killer was an Arbiter. Some people even propose that the Key-Lock Killer was none other than Korvosa's own vigilante/hero Blackjack.

With regards to more recent events people are grumbling about a tribe of Shoanti that have recently taken up residence outside the city walls. There are concerns that these nomads mean to storm the city and take slaves and plunder.

Spoiler: In Game Checks
    Show
    The tapestries are depictions of entities invoked during Varisian fortune telling rituals.

The incense is of a simple easy to make variety that can be purchased at dozens of locations through out the city. There is nothing pharmaceutical about it.

Honestly I'd rather know if this style of chair fits the general wealth of the area. They seem too pompous.

Appraise 11
    Spoiler
    Show
    The chairs are well made but, upon closer inspection, are not quite as nice as they at first appeared. They seem to be set dressing, and slightly worn at that, rather than expensive and well maintained.

And perception for being the "club bouncer" outside: 17
    Spoiler
    Show
    The streets seem almost deserted. You spot Xifei on her way to the house and as introductions are being made you spot another woman, short and slim with a red bandanna tied over silky black hair emerge from between two buildings and hurry over to the hovel. A thin smile stretches her pale face in greeting and she waves you inside

A question for the DM. the Skoan-Quah are focussed on death and repose in original Golarion. Are you simplifying the tribes or do you keep it this way? The tribe is the closest one to the city, and the mountains - being closer to the gods - are perfect for burial reasons. But honestly they'd likely just live there because no one else claims these regions.
    I really hadn't planned to keep the original details of the Shoanti tribes, since it would take pretty extensive retooling to swap from Amerindian traditions to cletic ones. I would say that the slums are a mix of tribes, sufficient for our purposes, fluff as you please.

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnLotus View Post
    Was asleep once ooc was up xD I'll go with Burnt Orange

Also 6 ; 11
    Spoiler: Rumors
    Show
    The talk on everybody's lips is that the king's health is poor and in decline. Some are insisting that his young queen, Ileosa, is to blame while others assert even more strenuously that King Eodred is simply an old man, and will be the monarch who breaks the curse of the crimson throne by passing away in his sleep, hopefully some years off yet. What's more pressing is that the Shoanti gathering outside Korvosa's walls are here to take advantage of the monarch's weakened condition and sack the city!

22. - Top - End - #22

Can I make a knowledge check to see if I know about this woman or her family? Just curious before I post

23. - Top - End - #23

I'd like to roll Sense Motive on Zellare.

(1d20+5)[13]

And Knowledge (Local) on the address.

(1d20+10)[26] + (1d6)[1]

24. - Top - End - #24

@AL: You are fairly certain that she is not nobility and you don't recognize the name. If you have something else in mind you can try rolling for it.
    Last edited by Obscuraphile; 2018-05-31 at 08:50 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

@Hazuki: Zellare doesn't seem to be lying to you.

You have never heard of nor been to the address but It is precisely where she describes it as being, a short walk north and on the water. It is in West Dock proper and Westpier is where many of the local fishermen come to sell their catches and buy supplies. You seem to recall that several establishments on that block were recently foreclosed on and seized by the guard, although it could be 6 months to a year before anything is done with them. One of these establishments could be quite useful to a crime lord, provided he wasn't caught squatting.
    Last edited by Obscuraphile; 2018-05-31 at 09:11 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Hmm, I don't suppose I could get some information on the area itself for that roll, maybe some history/what it's used for/significant things? I don't want to be needy, but "Yeah, that's where the address is" is what i'd expect from a DC 10 roll.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    Hmm, I don't suppose I could get some information on the area itself for that roll, maybe some history/what it's used for/significant things? I don't want to be needy, but "Yeah, that's where the address is" is what i'd expect from a DC 10 roll.
    You're totally right. Somehow I locked onto that inspiration roll and gave you crap all for the actual check result. See edit above.

28. - Top - End - #28

Thank you!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Solange is pretty cloistered and doesn't have much in the way of skills, but was this fishery in use by Gaedren when she used to work for him? Does she know anything about it? It's fine if she doesn't remember, she's 24 and she probably got beaten down by Gaedren when she was 10 or 11 so that would have been well over a decade ago. :)

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Therumancer View Post
    Solange is pretty cloistered and doesn't have much in the way of skills, but was this fishery in use by Gaedren when she used to work for him? Does she know anything about it? It's fine if she doesn't remember, she's 24 and she probably got beaten down by Gaedren when she was 10 or 11 so that would have been well over a decade ago. :)
    No, it is not. From what you remember of your time with him you know that Gaedren moved around a lot in order to stay ahead of the law. If the past is anything to go by he might have moved more than a dozen times since you were beaten and left for dead.