Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Curse of the Crimson Throne IC

Spoiler: Meilin "Mockingbird" Kueijin
    Show
    Spoiler: Starting Rumors
    Show
    Having lived in Korvosa for some time you have heard many stories of the hero/vigilante Blackjack, however no one has seen him in action for many years at this point, and Korvosa has never been worse off. The general opinion is that either he has hung up his mask and cape or some lowlife finally got lucky and did for him. Whatever the truth is, the city is lesser for his absence. More recently, you have heard that the hellknights too have given up on Korvosa and are making plans to withdraw from the city and leave it to its fate.

As you arrive at your law practice one morning you see a heavy canvas tarot card inserted in between the door and its frame. Staring out at you is a colorful depiction of an emaciated humanoid creature being struck in the head by a lightning bolt flung from the finger of a godly hand. It is the vision card, from the suit of books. When you take it and turn it over you see a note written in a tidy hand across the back of the card. It reads: I know what Gaedren has done to you. He has wronged me as well. I know where he dwells, yet I cannot strike at him. Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at sunset. Others like us will be there. Gaedren must face his fate, and justice must be done.

Spoiler: Zhen "Fey" Xifei
    Show
    As your frantic hunt for your missing daughter draws ever on your employers grow less sympathetic to your plight. You receive a letter by courier one afternoon stating that you are released from a lordling's service. As you go to cast the parchment and envelope away you notice that there is something else inside. You withdraw a heavy canvas tarot card, beautifully painted. It is called the peacock, and is of the keys suit. The picture upon its face however depicts a cockatrice and its victim. Turning the card over you find a second note, obviously not from your former employer. It says: Your daughter has been taken by the petty crimelord Gaedren Lamm. He has wronged me as well. I know where he dwells, yet I cannot strike at him. Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at sunset. Others like us will be there. Gaedren must face his fate, and justice must be done.

Spoiler: Siodhachan 'Siod' Glunmar
    Show
    Spoiler: Starting Rumors
    Show
    The talk on everybody's lips is that the king's health is poor and in decline. Some are insisting that his young queen, Ileosa, is to blame while others assert even more strenuously that King Eodred is simply an old man, and will be the monarch who breaks the curse of the crimson throne by passing away in his sleep, hopefully some years off yet. What is more worrisome is that apparently the Sable Company's oath is to the king himself, rather than to the city as a whole. If Eodred passes the vaunted hippogriff marines of Korvosa will leave the city to its fate, and lawbringers are few enough as it stands.

You are drinking in The Creaky Hammock, a tavern, while attempting to work some information out of your contacts that might help you find Aldwyn, but the hunt is going nowhere fast. After coming back from relieving yourself in the alley behind the establishment you find that your companions have left you none the wiser and with a bar tab to boot. Angrily knocking over a tankard you reveal a heavy canvas tarot card that was concealed beneath it. A masterfully depicted bear stares up at you from the bar, and tucked, almost daintily, between it's claws is a paintbrush. You notice that the card's suit is that of hammers before turning the curiosity over. There is a note scribbled on the back of the card that reads: Your nephew has been taken by a man named Gaedren Lamm. He has wronged me as well. I know where he dwells, yet I cannot strike at him. Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at sunset. Others like us will be there. Gaedren must face his fate, and justice must be done.

Spoiler: Hector Morris Ashburnum-Whit
    Show
    You sit in your gutted laboratory satisfied that the loss of your precious instruments was worth it to save your friends. However, that does not solve the problem of how you are going to support yourself or how you are going to ensure that such things never happen again. Running a hand over your face you let out a sigh and then a gasp. You were certain that your desk was clear a moment ago, but now a heavy canvas tarot card lies in the middle of it. A centaur in profile stares up at you. He is dressed as an explorer and on his back rests a heavy pack. Across the top of the card is its name: the wanderer, and at the bottom is the small icon of an open book. Turning the card over you discover a note written on the back: I know what Gaedren has done to your friends. He has wronged me as well. I know where he dwells, yet I cannot strike at him. Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at sunset. Others like us will be there. Gaedren must face his fate, and justice must be done.

Spoiler: Solange
    Show
    Your duties as a temple guard, while fulfilling, can often be quite boring. Standing in one place for hours on end, with only the occasional walk down the pews clearing out forgotten bits of refuse to break up the monotony. However, today, a particular bit of refuse seems to almost reach out and grab you. It is a heavy canvas tarot card that some petitioner must have left on the bench. Depicted on its face is an angle in the battle plate of Heaven with its white feathered wings outstretched behind it, a great spear in one hand and a trumpet held to its lips. The card is apparently named for that trumpet and it belongs to the shields suit. Turning the card over reveals a note penned on the reverse side. It reads: I know what Gaedren has done to you. He has wronged me as well. I know where he dwells, yet I cannot strike at him. Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at sunset. Others like us will be there. Gaedren must face his fate, and justice must be done.

Lancet Street is located just south of the West Dock district in Midland, not far from the Jeggare River. The road runs north to south so the light of the setting sun is blocked by the buildings and the rise of the city to the west. This part of town is neither particularly destitute nor very affluent. The cobblestones are kept fairly clear of horse droppings or other refuse, and the buildings are well maintained if noticeably old. Number 3 Lancet Street is a small nondescript hovel in a row of the same. The door is just slightly ajar and a thin strip of light can be seen coming from the inside.

The corner of a piece of parchment sticks out from beneath a mat just in front of the door. Written upon the parchment, in the same hand as upon the cards, is a brief note. It says: Thank you for coming. I had to step out for a bit, but shall return shortly. Please have a seat while you wait. The basket under the table contains bread and wine for you.

The interior of this home is a single cozy chamber filled with a fragrant haze of flowers and strong spice. The aroma comes from several sticks of incense smoldering in wall mounted burners that look like butterfly-winged elves. The smoke gives the room a dreamy feel. The walls are draped with large brocade tapestries, one showing a black skulled beast juggling human hearts, and another showing a pair of angels dancing atop a snow-capped mountain peak. A third tapestry on the far wall depicts a tall, hooded figure surrounded in mist, holding a flaming sword in a skeletal hand. Several brightly colored rugs cover the floor, but the room's only furnishings are a wooden table covered by a bright red throw cloth and several elegant high-backed chairs. A basket covered in blue cloth sits under the table

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Curse of the Crimson Throne IC

Solange spends the day musing over the card she found while cleaning. It's been a long time since she's heard anything about Gaedren, but the mere mention of him is enough to incite long dormant feelings of anger and powerlessness. The fact that the note claims to be from someone 'unable to strike against him' brings feelings of sympathy, once a long time ago she would have loved to have someone to go to for help who could 'strike' against Gaedren. Of course at the same time she does wonder who could possibly know about her history with Gaedren aside from the high priests and grand paladins of the temple, and she even wonders if after all these years this could be some kind of trap.

Deciding that the only way to satisfy her curiosity is to head to the address she leaves shortly before sunset. She figures she's strong enough now where if it is some kind of trap she can handle it.

Arriving at 3 Lancet Street she finds the note left beneath the map and heads inside. She decides she rather likes the tapestry of the angels on the mountain, but she finds the other two a little two macabre for her tastes. She gathers up the basket under the table, and if it contains bread and wine as advertised decides to have snack while waiting for her host to arrive.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Meilin spends some of her day at work wondering about the card and its origins before deciding that she will, in fact, visit the house. As she talks to her colleagues, she makes certain they're aware of the street she'll be visiting and when, should something shady occur and she ends up in need of saving. She's not so delusional as to think the cavalry would come if she were to get into trouble, but her absence would be noted, at least. Before she attends, she returns home to change into something a little less conspicuous and more suited to the largely-indstrial area she'll be attending, where she also updates her journal and stores the card somewhere safe.

When she arrives, Biance in hand, she spots an armored woman approaching a basket with a hungry look in her eyes. She raps her cane on the doorframe to to get the woman's attention. "How do you do?"

4. - Top - End - #4

"Oh, hi." says Solange as she puts the basket aside for the moment "Are you the one who sent the note asking for help bringing justice to Gaedren?"

5. - Top - End - #5

"No. I don't think I'm the enigmatic sort." Meilin says, because she isn't. "But, I did receive one." She says, as she peers passed the woman, at the banners, then looks back to her. "And you may call me Meilin. A pleasure."

6. - Top - End - #6

"Pleased to meet you Meilin, my name is Solange." Solange looks hungrily at the basket. "I showed up a few minutes ago and found this note outside the door saying that whoever called us here stepped out for the moment and instructing us to be seated and wait. They also apparently left us the bread and wine" Solange takes the basket again and tears off a chunk of bread and pours herself some wine. She dips the bread into the wine to soften it as she eats. "I'm guessing Gaedren upset someone new, and they are trying to gather his enemies to see him brought down. It's A bit surprising that I'd be called though given that as much as I'd love to see him dealt with my history with him was years ago, before I was either a guard or a Paladin. It makes me wonder who has been sending the notes, they have to be incredibly well informed."

Solange's job would be painfully obvious since she's wearing fancy armor (provided by the temple) and a "squires outfit" which includes a tabard displaying the heraldry of Lord Sun. There is also the large silver holy symbol proudly on display around her neck. She's not subtle or even remotely enigmatic either. :)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

"well, glad I'm not the only one with a sense for drama", Hector mutters to himself as he looks over the card. If this is a setup, is a really good one: both the delivery and the content of the message fit both his current situation and his sense for theatrics like a tailor-made glove. It would be a shame not to reward this effort with his presence. And in the case this was not a sham, it might just be the break he was looking for.

Hector spends good part of the day penning a letter to his wife, explaining where he will be in the evening, and where to start looking for him in case he'll go missing. In the end he decides against sending it: it would either cause at best worries or at worst bitter scoffs, as those seems to be the prevailing emotions Edith has for him ever since the...accident. Hector strike through "To my beloved" and swaps that for "an esteemed Mr Asheycomb", figuring his landlord to be a more objective reader for his message.

Come sunset, he heads through Midland towards the docks, looking for Lancer Street n.3. He's nervous, barely kept calm by the weight of his concealed pistol in his sleeve, mentally repeating his formulas to focus. He finds the dooropen, sweet perfume of incense coming from the inside, a female figure standing in the doorway talking to someone inside - an armored woman, displaying the temple's heraldry and a holy symbol to Lord Sun. A reassuring sight.

"Ah-hem. Hector Morris of the Ashburnum-Whit, pleased to make your acquaintance. I have been invited to a gathering. I'd like to compliment whoever crafted the invitation - excellent flair, not overdone, just perfect".

As he steps in the apartment and takes in the scenery, the scent in the air, the figures on the tapestries. The wine and bread on the table. Did he forget to eat lunch again?

"Gaedren has caused me and many people I care about a lot of grievances in recent days. The recent spread of Shiver overdoses in Midland, you might have heard about it. I raised charges against him with the Korvosan Guard but they fell on deaf ears. Today's message, Lord Sun be willing, is a sign that not all hope is lost".

Hector looks like an older gentleman, with an air of slight confusion around him, like a head-on-the-clouds kind of person. When he talks about Gaedren his eyes focus and his face hardens into a display of sudden, steely determination.

8. - Top - End - #8

"Hello Hector, I'm Solange" noticing that Hector is eyeing the food she pushes the basket over towards him as enters as she quietly listens to him. I'm guessing you received a note like we did instructing you to come here if you wanted to see Gaedren brought to justice. So far whoever owns this place and sent out those notes has yet to make an appearance but they did leave a note telling us to sit here and wait, and to feel free to help ourselves to the bread and wine if we want to. " she finishes the last of the bread she took and adds "The guard never seemed particularly adept at dealing with Gaedron, I'm guessing he finally made an enemy who is willing to take more direct action. My own problems with him aren't recent but are quite personal."
    Last edited by Therumancer; 2018-05-31 at 03:05 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Siod spends the remainder of the afternoon looking at the card in a slightly drunken stupor. He was frustrated how slow this search was going, and he held his salvation in hand. But he had enough enemies. People who would just love to set up a trap for him. Finish him off in a back alley. He isn't even sure if his sister Ornelle would miss him. After all, he lost her only kid. Aldwyn was a special kid. His heart was incredibly pure. Even though this city was rough and so his playmates were too, he always carried some sort of serenity with him. To no surprise he was as naive as he was good-hearted. Siod takes out the shoe he found of Aldwyn. Getting teary-eyed at the sight he just thinks to himself. "I'll save you, dallag*."

Later the same evening he finds himself in an area known for safe houses. Close enough to the rivers, fishermen and other less savory individuals are living here. He sees number 3 and peeks in, shortly after where he almost shouts: "By the glowing breasts of Lady Moon, what are you doing here? Is this some kind of joke?" You see a towering Shoanti man peeking into the hovel. He leans in from the side, and you are not sure if the door hinges can take any more abuse.

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show

As he eventually enters, you can see his almost inhuman size as he has to duck until he takes a seat. He crosses his arms and watches from the corner of the room. "So, why are you here? A temple guard? Two foreign elves? What an unusual gathering. My name is Siod. I think I've heard your names from outside." Everyone with a good eye can see a small tarot card peeking out of Siod's girdle on the left.

10. - Top - End - #10

Meilin is just about to greet Hector when the large man arrives, and she takes a moment to process the existence of gigantic people. Up to now, she's been near the peak of humanoid height, so it's nice to experience a snippet of the lives of shorter people.

"We are the most common sort of elves." Meilin says, at Siod's words on elves. "But the same could not be said of your rarity, could it? Where are you from, Siod?" She asks, peering at the man's clothes for any hint of his origin - and spotting the tarot card. "Excuse me, may I see that? I received a similar card and would like to check something."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

"a note, and a card, not unlike the one Siod carries tucked in his belt. On this note: Hector Morris is my name, pleased to meet you."

Hector extracts his tarot card from an inside pocket of his jacket, and shows the card to the others gathered in the room: the card of the Wanderer, depicting a centaur dressed for adventure.

"I wonder if we have to wait for a full deck to assemble...the chairs might not be enough for everyone then. Ill leave it to our host to figure that out". He then take a seat, facing Solange, and helps himself to a bit of bread. He then turns to face the others:

"Should I pour some wine for you two as well? I worked up some agitation coming to this meeting it seems, and turns out my throat got rather dry."
    Last edited by DrMartin; 2018-05-31 at 08:05 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

"My people are known as the Skoan-Quah, we are Shoanti. We hail from the Mindspin Mountains due North-East. But my parents quit their life style and went on to live here. Safe to say, we are not particularly well integrated." Siod hints at the slums in front of the city. A large portion of it are Shoanti, some sort of druidic mountain people, who got disowned by Cheliax and put into these slums. "Gladly for my tribe, the mountains are of little interest to the higher-ups. But life in the mountains is hard. So we picked the easier life."

Siod pauses and looks at Meilin. "Similar how?" Siod hands it over. Jumping to conclusions was Siod's favorite hobby. "If what the cards say is also similar, we are either targetted by our malefactor or we have just found an influential ally."

13. - Top - End - #13

"No wine for me, thank you." Meilin tells Hector, then listens curiously through Siod's explanation of his people. Her interest is only diverted as the pair of cards is brought out. "Mine had an identical note, but it was the Vision."

14. - Top - End - #14

"I don't like this at all. If you'd excuse me, I'll stand guard outside instead of enjoying the food in this rat trap." Siod goes towards the door and opens it, going outside and standing with his back towards the wall next to the door. He keeps the door open as if anticipating a bomb or similar inside the house. "I keep the door open. Should help with the ventilation. Incense is not my favorite. I get a headache from it." he mutters outside. Outside he crosses his arms and eyes passing people like a doorman would.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

"well, I know that if whoever invited me was harboring ill intentions, he or she would have had better ways to act upon them than giving me a warning and an invite to...", spreading an arm in a sweeping gesture meant to encompass the food on the table, the armed temple guard, the tall elf, and the even taller Shoanti "..well, whatever this is."

16. - Top - End - #16

This morning has been nothing if not tiresome for the fair and overworked Zhen Xifei. Waking up before dawn was a constant of life for the woman, having to check in with clients and working schedules out for he coming week. It has only gotten harder, after just having received a letter informing Xifei that her lordly benefactor has cut her lose professionally. It was a shame, really, as he was her main source of information for the cities going-ons. Money would be scarcer, meaning her search would slow. THAT could not happen.

"Please be safe Lifen, for a little longer".

Finally finishing the bookkeeping for the day, Xifei decided to look into the second notice she received today. Cryptic messages meant rich information, secret societies, a knife in the back, or some mix of the three. But with her main source of information beyond her grasp the woman was desperate for assistance. Catching the source of her anguish would just be a succulent addition.

-------

Arriving at the listed location on her card Xifei grumbled to herself over her own stupidity. She was just down the road the afternoon before, escorting a merchant's son back home from the docks. Hindsight has never been her friend, a bitter reminder every day of her life.

Shaking the morose thoughts from her mind, Xifei continued down the street to spot the number 3 on the front of the various structures on Lancet St. Many of the areas in the city rarely went higher then 20 in building marks, but that doesn't stop the contractors from humbling numbers around like some city planners funhouse. Breaking from her train of thought, Xifei finally found the building. Not exactly a grand place but the windows were intact. Sadly that was a sign of wealth in certain parts.

Gently knocking upon the door, Xifei noticed the note on the ground by accident stepping upon it with her soft leather shoes, a gift from a banker a few years back. Looking down, the woman could not believe her eyes. Her beckoner left before she even arrived! The gall of some people! She would certainly make good on their promise of free food, nicities be damned. The door was pushed open, fast enough to prove her point but not enough to cause any damage. Xifei looked inside, slightly startled at the group inside seeming to be chatting in wait.

"Please tell me this isn't some treasure hunting scheme. I WILL NOT be a part of another one in my lifetime"

17. - Top - End - #17

A thin, pale Varisian woman of middling years answers Xifei's indignant question from the doorway, next to Siod. "I assure you, it is not," she says in a calm clear voice. With a thin smile she gestures for Siod to go inside and follows him, closing the door behind herself. She is dressed well, in faded silks embroidered with intricate patterns. Her clothes may once have been quite fine but now they are old, having been patched and mended several times.

Moving to a seat at the table, and gesturing for others to do the same, she introduces herself. "Thank you all for coming. I am Zellare Esmeranda," she says pulling a deck of cards from her pocket and beginning to shuffle them idly. "I beg your pardons, my friends, for my absence and my unconventional method of contacting you." The cards seem to float and dance almost hypnotically between her hands and fingers, cards like the ones each of you carry.

"I have my reasons for remaining hidden you see - a vicious man would like to see me come to great harm, especially if he knew I was reaching out for help. The same man that has done something terrible to each of you. I speak of Gaedren Lamm, a man whose cruelty and capacity to destroy the lives of those he touches is matched only by his gift for avoiding reprisal. You see, a year ago, his thieves stole this, my harrow deck, from me. It is very important to me, an heirloom pass from mother to daughter for more than a dozen generations of my family, and my sole means of support. When Lamm's lambs stole it, my son Eran tracked them down and recovered my deck for me. But Gaedren could not let this stand. He had my son followed... and murdered."

Zellare pauses, tears welling up in her eyes and her hands falter in their smooth, practiced motions. With a deep breath, she continues. "I sought help from the Korvosan guard, but they turned me away. And so I asked around. I paid bribes. I consulted my harrow deck for advice. And recently, I was rewarded - the deck lead me to where Gaedren is hiding. It is an old fishery north of here, number 17 Westpier. There he counts his stolen treasure and trains abducted children to be pickpockets. This is why I need your help. I cannot face this man on my own, and the Guard moves so slowly that even if they were willing to help, Gaedren would surely know of their coming in advance. And what's more, even if they arrested him, we have no guarantee that he would be punished. This man has evaded the law for decades. It is time for him to pay."

18. - Top - End - #18

Meilin carefully observes the woman as she absorbs the information she's offering, and compares it to the things she knows of what she's being told. It takes her a couple of moments before she's ready to say anything. "...is this your home?" She asks, as she shuffles in her seat. She didn't want to sit down in the first place, but she wouldn't be accused of a lack of manners at the first meeting.

19. - Top - End - #19

Zellare shakes her head. "My place of business. I tell fortunes and perform harrows here," she says spreading her cards out on the table in front of here. "I would like to perform a harrow now for all of you in fact. If you would return your cards?"

20. - Top - End - #20

Meilin smiles bashfully, which makes her look weird, because she so rarely does so. "I stored it in my home. In case of...well, I left it in my home regardless. I suppose i could run and fetch it..." She says, casting a brief glance at the door and counting how many minutes it would take. The fact that she'd have to reveal some of her paranoia to actually explain herself makes her doubly uncomfortable.

21. - Top - End - #21

Xifei listened on as their newly revealed hostess explained the dire straits she and her family have been put through. It is sadly not uncommon for the authorities to be lax in this area, she this this through personal experience. Any wariness she initially held was finished upon hearing about her lost child, killed in a way the woman prayed her daughter would never suffer.

Briskly entering the room proper, Xifei brought out the card mentioned and placed it onto the table amongst it's kin. Divination and surgery were common in her home country, with many levels of accuracy and showmanship.

I am sure we all could do with a look into the future, no matter how this concludes" Xifei begins with a restrained smile, correcting her coats buttons to be more presentable. "I for one am all for protecting the children if our fair city, and showing this man you mentioned his just desserts"

22. - Top - End - #22

Zellare raises an eyebrow and stands. Walking around the table she reaches into Meilin's waterproof pouch and withdraws the tarot card. "That won't be necessary," she says. "The piece always longs to return to the set." with a flick of her wrist Zellare throws the card across the table towards the splayed deck and it slips into place between two of its fellows.
    Last edited by Obscuraphile; 2018-05-31 at 09:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Meilin blinks as Zellare retrieves the card she stored quite safely in her home, then raises an eyebrow. "I also left a stack of diamonds and three beautiful wives at home."

24. - Top - End - #24

Zellare laughs melodiously and smiles, heading back to her seat. "But I have neither a mine nor a harem, dear," she ripostes.

Her mirth fades at Xifei's words. "You must be careful. He has many children in his employ. He calls them his lambs. I have no doubt that he treats them cruelly and they fear him greatly, but they also serve him. Some he kidnaps but others he 'rescues'," Zellare all but spits the word "from a life alone on the mean streets of Korvosa."

25. - Top - End - #25

Solange has been watching quietly as things have begun to move quickly. She produces her trumpet card for Zallare and hands it over to her. As she does she inquires "Do you have connections to the temple of Lord Sun, or did you use divination magic to uncover my past with Gaedren?"

26. - Top - End - #26

"I do not have much in the way of faith," Zellare says to Solange, taking the card and giving it a few quick flicks. The fortuneteller spins the card a few times and with each turn the message on its back fades until it is once again unmarred. "I simply listen to the music of the city and follow where the harrow leads."

27. - Top - End - #27

"That's too bad. As I'm sure you aware faith was my salvation. Without the mercy of Lord Sun and his followers I'd be dead in a gutter right now". Solange doesn't care for the evasive answer but decides to let it go since Zellare is working against Gaedren. She assumes that the harrow is a focus for divination magic and that is how she uncovered her background. After all her history with Gaedren was when she was a young child. Just the same, when she returns to her temple Solange plans to inquire about Zellare.
    Last edited by Therumancer; 2018-05-31 at 10:41 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

The fortune teller shrugs. "Actually, I know very little about any of you. To some I have a stronger connection because our situations are similar, but most of what I know is that Gaedren's thread has entwined with your own. That, and that you are strong enough, together, to face him."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

"Well, miss Esmeranda, I'll bite". Hector slides his card on the table.
    "And I am sorry for your loss. This man has to be stopped, than becomes clearer with every new account of his deeds. This course of action is hardly ideal, but it is a fact that the law in this city is for many just a plaything. And is certainly not by chance that Korvosa has an illustrious tradition of vigilantism..."

Hector had already decided to take matters into his own hands regarding Gaedren, even before this invitation came.

30. - Top - End - #30

Siod reflexibly crunches the card in his fist before realizing his grave mistake. His tan face looses a lot of color and he stammers: I am sorry. I swear I was taught better. We respect the elders. We protect our kids But the thought of loosing Aldwyn, and with that tormenting my sister... The man hunter stops mid sentence and gives her his card.