New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimisation Challenge in the Playground XCIII

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    The worst thing about Berserk (and the reason why I probably won't ever actually inflict it on you) is the way it only has about three levels of class features. IIRC, it genuinely doesn't give you anything new after level 3, just more uses of the things you have already.
    Truly you are merciful. Yeah, that's all you get. I love the insult to injury that your stupid movement boost doesn't work in your beast shape. Because that would be too much.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

I'd be perfectly happy to never see Berserk as a SI, but I do now have a few ideas filed away in the ol' emergency bunker next to to the other extra terrible stuff.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

My love for berserker's hilariously stupid features just barely edges out logic stating how awful it is.

Any of these other PrCs would make for great ingredients, Kinslayer especially because it's trying to do all sorts of stuff, even if none of it is any good.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

There's all those Thrall of [Demon Lord] and Disciple of [Archdevil] prestige classes too. Have we done Thrall of Juiblex, or Thrall of Graz'zt, or Disciple of Mephistopheles yet?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

We haven't done any of them except for Demogorgon. Mephistopheles would be quite difficult, and echoes strongly of pyrokineticist. I personally think Thrall of Juiblex would be too good for an SI.

Thrall of Graz'zt makes me very excited. Do you think that apostrophe is supposed to be voiced of represent anything? Or is he just a dragonrider?
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    We haven't done any of them except for Demogorgon. Mephistopheles would be quite difficult, and echoes strongly of pyrokineticist. I personally think Thrall of Juiblex would be too good for an SI.

Thrall of Graz'zt makes me very excited. Do you think that apostrophe is supposed to be voiced of represent anything? Or is he just a dragonrider?
    We actually also did thrall of ORCUS! but yeah, we haven't touched any of the others. I've always just pronounced it as though it weren't there, like apostrophes in american english, rather than as a glottal stop.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Complete Warrior still has stuff like Ravager in it. Berserk seems to have the ability to indefinitely turn into a gargantuan whale for some reason. I may be in this round depending on if I feel like typing up my backstory or not.
    "Movement speed is the most important statistic in this game."

"Give them no mercy for they give no mercy to us."

"I see one of those I kill it!"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

I actually really like Thrall of Zuggtmoy but I guess it's probably off the table.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

In terms of full BAB, I'm somewhat partial to Dragon Lord as an ingredient: It's like Dragon Shaman (or Marshal), but watered down and without a breath weapon. On the plus side, it's very easy to qualify for, so you should get a wide range of entries.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    There's all those Thrall of [Demon Lord] and Disciple of [Archdevil] prestige classes too. Have we done Thrall of Juiblex, or Thrall of Graz'zt, or Disciple of Mephistopheles yet?
    I really like Thrall of Juiblex, but it's probably too good for IC. Thrall of Graz'zt and Disciple of Mephistopheles could be cool. There's also Disciple of Mammon, Thrall of Eltab from Champions of Ruin, which I had previously been a bit down on as a SI, but on reflection think has enough differentiating it from the Thralls we've already done, and on a similar note I've been lobbying for Demonologist for a while now as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    In terms of full BAB, I'm somewhat partial to Dragon Lord as an ingredient: It's like Dragon Shaman (or Marshal), but watered down and without a breath weapon. On the plus side, it's very easy to qualify for, so you should get a wide range of entries.

Oof, that's a bad one, especially since the Leadership ban cuts away one of its few class features.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2018-06-18 at 07:38 PM.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    Disciple of Thrym and Vassal of Bahamut are brute types with their own divine casting.
    Qualifying for that on time is a genuine feat. Seriously, kill a CR 10 dragon, solo, by level 7. WTF?
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Qualifying for that on time is a genuine feat. Seriously, kill a CR 10 dragon, solo, by level 7. WTF?
    How many Arrows of Dragon Slaying can you afford at ECL 7? It's got to roll a 1 on it's save sooner or later. Probably not until after it's reduced you to confetti though.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

How many Arrows of Dragon Slaying can you afford at ECL 7? It's got to roll a 1 on it's save sooner or later. Probably not until after it's reduced you to confetti though.
    Been looking at that puzzle with paladin entry in mind for a -long- time now. I'm all ears for anyone who's got an idea that's not pure cheese.

... Making a thread.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Well, that locks you into being an archer, which vassal of bahamut supports about as poorly as everything else.

I won't speculate too much more in case that's what's inflicted on us next.

Iron Chef Medals!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

And squeaking in under the wire.
    Iron Chef in the Playground LXVI - Honorable Mention : Azalin Stonecutter

Iron Chef Home Cooking in the Playground II - Second Place : Takenaka Kenshin

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

First forum post. I'm a long-time, no-account lurker.
    My heart was stolen by the SI. I have been quietly cooking something up since the contest started, and have decided the dish is good enough to enter.
    Don't worry about me meeting the entry deadline; I'm in formatting and final write-up phase, and I have a weekend to spend as much time as I want making things look pretty.
    @Heliomance, I have a couple FAQ-like questions that will not have any build impact but would (likely) reveal which entry is mine to the judge, so I will PM them to you in the next 24 hours.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PunBlake View Post
    My heart was stolen by the SI. I have been quietly cooking something up since the contest started, and have decided the dish is good enough to enter.
    Don't worry about me meeting the entry deadline; I'm in formatting and final write-up phase, and I have a weekend to spend as much time as I want making things look pretty.
    @Heliomance, I have a couple FAQ-like questions that will not have any build impact but would (likely) reveal which entry is mine to the judge, so I will PM them to you in the next 24 hours.
    Awesome! Welcome!

My only idea requires and exploitation of [redacted] so much so that it becomes like a DM Fiat issue.

Depending on the number of entries, I'm down to judge. I'll try to be real Darrin about it. That guy can give you last place but still makes you feel good about what you liked about your build. Keep in mind, that's an aspiration, not a promise.
    Last edited by daremetoidareyo; 2018-06-20 at 01:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Bugbear in the Playground

Got it in, thank goodness. That took forever. Novice dish of weirdness coming your way!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

best of luck to you

Iron Chef Medals!

20. - Top - End - #80

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Efrate View Post
    Got it in, thank goodness. That took forever. Novice dish of weirdness coming your way!
    those always bring something awesome to the table, even if they don't score well. best of luck.
    Iron Chef in the Playground LXVI - Honorable Mention : Azalin Stonecutter

Iron Chef Home Cooking in the Playground II - Second Place : Takenaka Kenshin

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PunBlake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Awesome! Welcome!

My only idea requires and exploitation of [redacted] so much so that it becomes like a DM Fiat issue.

Depending on the number of entries, I'm down to judge. I'll try to be real Darrin about it. That guy can give you last place but still makes you feel good about what you liked about your build. Keep in mind, that's an aspiration, not a promise.
    Are dare said, welcome to any newcomers who put in the effort to join our crazy little club here! The best advice I can give you (aside from, you know, my way-the-hell-too-long judging guidelines I posted a ways back) is to just get in there and try things out. Learn by doing.

I have a probably-well-deserved reputation for being kind of a mean judge. Please believe me when I say that nothing in my judgments is intended to be personal or to be hurtful, and I do my very best to be fair and even-handed across the board—in other words, if I judge harshly, it's not because I'm judging you harshly so much as because I'm judging everyone harshly. I mean this with 100% sincerity: you are awesome just for entering. It's a lot of work!

That said, dare's comment about trying to judge like Darrin is, I have to say, inspirational. We'll see just how well I can succeed on such a thing, but maybe I should try to focus on positive things rather than on little nitpicks here and there. I mean, it sounds like we've got an awful lot of builds coming in, so drastically departing from what I'm used to might be a risky proposition, but we'll see!
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

That is a fun but frustrating ingredient to think about how a build generating on it would work, mechanically, and just how to augment it with enough special sauces and spices to be very infuriating to the dragons it could torment or thwart.

I wish I could make time to turn my slightly weird idea for a build into a fully-fleshed-out entry.

The fact that it doesn't get much new class abilities after 4th level, but just improvements on existing ones, makes it a somewhat frustrating ingredient, too. My idea wouldn't use all 10 levels, anyway, so would lose points for elegance, anyway.

I'm going to be lurking here to see what the final builds for this end up being.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    snip
    I'm more worried about the character limit or a possible Vizzini than harsh judging, though even with that, a similar dish would likely be... presented differently.
    Thanks for the welcomes. Formatting instead of sleeping.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah my entry had to be split into 2 messages, character limit is a pain.

As for severe judging, throw what you want at me, I can roll with any punches. It's all in good fun. I'm mostly worried about formatting, I think I have all the html right. I just hope i didnt forget anything.

25. - Top - End - #85

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Efrate
    ~snip~
    I suggest deleting the first part of your post immediately, as it will identify you once the builds are revealed.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Vaz approval for the best backstory. Villainous Competition 16: Burn Baby Burn
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=114

Honorable Mention Villainous Competition 22: I Am The Night
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...e-Night!/page6 Xihu Ayame

Click my Vulpix to feed it yummy berries!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PrismCat21 View Post
    I suggest deleting the first part of your post immediately, as it will identify you once the builds are revealed.
    Not if the character limit of posts (50k) isn't superseded. Messages can only be 25k.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I routinely have to send my builds to Helio in multiple chunks, but they almost always still get posted as one post.

For a build with spells, even just the basic build tables take up a pretty large portion of the character limit. (The blank level table and blank 20-level spell table are almost 6,000 characters together. It's rare to use the full 20-level spell table most of the time, but that's also before actually putting in skills or feats or levels or whatever.) Of course, my builds also tend to be pretty obnoxiously verbose on top of that, but the point is, Helio knows what she's doing and knows to stitch multiple PMs into one post when possible and appropriate.

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    The worst thing about Berserk (and the reason why I probably won't ever actually inflict it on you) is the way it only has about three levels of class features. IIRC, it genuinely doesn't give you anything new after level 3, just more uses of the things you have already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Quester View Post

The fact that it doesn't get much new class abilities after 4th level, but just improvements on existing ones, makes it a somewhat frustrating ingredient, too.

so 3/10 is the threshold for not going to do it, but 4/10 is acceptable? lol

almost done w/ my only entry. It's probably the most iron-cheffy one i've ever done, but i'm in no delusions that it'll medal given the pool of competitors here, we'll see.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

29. - Top - End - #89
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Yeah my entry had to be split into 2 messages, character limit is a pain.

*snip*.
    I always review my build a few times on the board before sending it in. Just reply to any topic, paste all your code in and hit preview. Once it all looks good, copy the text field, overwrite your text file or whatever you're using and then send that in to the chair. Prevents any weird formatting errors from popping up after the fact.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    I always review my build a few times on the board before sending it in. Just reply to any topic, paste all your code in and hit preview. Once it all looks good, copy the text field, overwrite your text file or whatever you're using and then send that in to the chair. Prevents any weird formatting errors from popping up after the fact.
    This, but to keep from accidentally posting my build in a random topic somewhere, I do this in a PM to myself.