New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Savage Tide III: Tides of Dread [IC]

Before Hoggie can get back for possible task #2, he meets with success for task #1 and does a good job of making an acquaintance of Tanaroa's better herbalists and spends the afternoon enraptured by some of the things he's learning (and smoking and breathing and...). In fact, he will make it to the dinner after it already started.

Skald's "usual routine" is pretty varied, so since he is farther afield than what will be his home base, he spends a little bit of time outside the town (to the south, not past the wall to the north) to study the local flora and fauna. Not so much to "learn" as to test himself from his previous time here (and perhaps have some alone-time since he is always in the company of others).

Back at the heart of the village, Corrin will work with Vona on spherecasting control using arcane channeling tricks; Tom will meditate on draconic mysteries; and Rabbi Cohen will pray.

The dinner occurs as advertised, with the PCs as the guests of honor, and many fine stories are told of when the villages had to band together in the distant path to stave off greater dangers. The difference is that this time the villagers have allies, and those allies have the villagers! Many pledges of fealty and brotherhood are made for Tanaroa (and by extension, the other villlages once they receive word) and Farshore.

The party has succeeded on their mission! If anyone wants to cement their place with a performance (NOT a "demonstration of ability x"), feel free to fluff it and roll in spoilers.
    Spoiler: Performance
    Show
    ACTUAL performance only .... spellcasting, acrobatics, sleight of hand .... these won't really go over well here.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

With no performance to add, Hoggie will examine his two new acquisitions from the bat/volcano god; including attempting to see if they are magical.

3. - Top - End - #303

While not a trained orator, still Rabbi Cohen will give an enjoyable rendering of the battle of Farshore.

The evening passes, and the next day the group will ready to head out again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can give an RP interlude if you want, but I need to pass along something to a player...
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hoggie will strike camp in the morning and prepare his daily cognatogen. Later when the group heads out, he will prepare his floating disk for Rusty and Vona to ride.
    His discoveries from the previous night are forefront in his mind as the party hikes through the jungle. At midday Siesta, he will approach Doc Cohen and any other party members nearby.
    Hoggie smiles shyly over Doc’s right shoulder.
    “Two hearts believing in just one mind?” he says urgently.
    His normally placid face is creased with concern. He spreads his arms and nods to include anyone else present. The party notices a pressure building behind their eyes, like the start of a head cold and pretty colors swirl at the edges of their vision.

Spoiler: My mind to your mind. My thoughts to your thoughts
    Show

Hoggie will attempt a telepathic bond with anyone who will allow it.
    Last edited by Blackhawk101; 2018-12-05 at 07:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #305

So, which PC's give in to the pressure building in their head instead of fighting it?

By the way, the party is going to be using a 20' speed because of Rabbi Cohen wearing the armor. Does Vona continue to ride on it ... along with Rusty and Corrin's chest of coins, which is cramped and uncomfortable? ... or does she walk like the others?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2018-12-05 at 08:08 PM.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

Vona bites her lip for a second, really reticent to allow this wierdo to touch her mind, but she decides to give him the benefit of the doubt. Also, once it becomes clear that she isn't slowing the party, she gets off the disk; it was practicality. not laziness that got her to use it in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Skald initially resists but relaxes when he sees the others faces and realizes who it is.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Tom cautiously opens his mind...
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

9. - Top - End - #309

Corrin, fascinated by the new experience and sensing no danger, opens his mind as well.

Hoggie, you've cast telepathic bond twice, and you now have a party line (I am sure you include Rusty in the second casting as well).

Now what?
    Show

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hoggie smiles to himself as he sits down in the lotus position. He places his pack beside him and calls Rusty to his lap.
    *TP*
    “Welcome friends! Thank you for allowing me this small intrusion into your minds. Fear not, while we communicate in this manner, your minds are secure and inviolate.
    I call upon you now to weigh in on a matter of some import. The thin fang I acquired in the volcano temple is (I believe) an artifact of some demonic power. I have heard tales of such an artifact called the “Tooth of Ahazu”. This dread object is said to be able to establish physical communication with a long dead Demon Lord. To what purpose, I shudder to guess. I have delved into this object and have as of yet been able to uncover its mysteries. I ask you now (before we travel further) to aid me in my quest to discover its purpose. I fear that it being in the temple is no coincidence and may have bearing on our current situation.
    If necessary, I can use my occult skills to learn about its aura and recent owner(s). I have delayed doing so until I have discussed this matter with you, lest the probing awaken the foul thing and do myself (and maybe you) some harm. What say you?”

With that, he reaches into his haversack and draws forth the gleaming fang and holds it for them to examine.
    Last edited by Blackhawk101; 2018-12-12 at 11:29 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

Confusion is painted over Vona's face "Wait," she tepes back to him, "If you can think straight, why do you insist on talking in riddled verse?" She then literally waved the question away, her hand swaying back and forth for a few seconds. "More to the point, if you're right about this, that is indeed troubling." She brought her F.I.S.T. to her chin in thought. "Well, I can do some divinations, but it'd take me a couple minutes to do, so if you think you can do it better, that's probably be better. So in what way would you need my help?"
    Last edited by digiman619; 2018-12-13 at 05:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

TP "I fear my skills lay elsewhere... There is little I can do that will aid your research." he says as he sinks back on his pack to think further.
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2018-12-13 at 05:16 AM.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

*Tepe* “Vona, my condition is still very much a mystery. As my abilities grew, it became more and more difficult to converse with other people. I know what it is I want to speak, but my mind converts it to verse before it leaves my mouth. Only objective quantitative questions can I answer before they are altered. It is my “normal”. I will try to read its aura. If you are skilled in such, your assistance will be appreciated. If anyone has a better idea...

Thank you Skald.”

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Without any further input from the party forthcoming, Hoggie will attempt to learn of the artifacts last owner. He holds the tooth in both hands and concentrates.
    Spoiler: Tepe
    Show

“Here goes nothing!”

Spoiler: crunchiness
    Show

Hoggie will perform psycometry after drinking his cognatogen and using a guile pool point. If he can learn more information after the first minute, he will press on.

15. - Top - End - #315

(DAY 7, btw)

Hoggie takes some "mind-expanding drugs" and uses what insight he can and meditates with the tooth, ending up holding it for four minutes before his visions fade.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Minute #1: The first minute Hoggie concentrates, he catches a glimpse of a creature that takes his breath away. It is a woman with red hair and voluptuous features that seem to Hoggie to promise eternal bliss, until he notices the small horns and the carefully hidden tail and bat-like wings, promising eternal torment. She is draped in red clothing and with red boots in a manner that would never pass muster in a civilized land (if any man could stand up to her without falling to his knees).
    Spoiler: Demons
    Show
    In addition to the normal abilities of creatures from the Great Beyond, demons are immune to electricity and poison, and resistant to acid, cold, and fire. They can usually summon others of their kind; have telepathy with any intelligent creature out to about 100'; speak Abyssal, Celestial and Draconic; and channel the essence of chaos and evil through their natural weapons or any weapons they wield.

Spoiler: Succubi
    Show
    Your vast knowledge of planar creatures, recognize this as a "succubus," a fiend of the Abyss (the afterlife of purest chaos and Evil an infinite realm of unfettered hatred), a demon, and one of the race of the most powerful demons known as the tanar'ri. All demons are related to what philosophers call the "Seven Deadly Sins," and succubi (pl.) obviously represent the destruction of accord, harmony, and compassion through lust uncontained. In their desire to corrupt and profane the innocent, they can constantly detect emanations and auras of good from creatures and objects.

Minute #2: The emotional state of the succubus that last wielded the tooth of Ahazu seemed to be one of compliance and guile when she last held the artifact.
    Minute #3: The creature that held the tooth before the succubus was a man-sized bat-like humanoid. Though it is an extraplanar creature (like a succubus, or any non-native outsider for that matter), it is actually (and curiously) a magical beast known as a lesser varrangoin (also called "Abyssal bats"). Though called Abyssal bats, they can also be found on the prison plane of Carceri.
    Minute #4: The emotional state of the lesser varrangoin at the time it last had the tooth of Ahazu was desperation, but more of a circumstantial desperation than a life-or-death one, which among mortals is what happens when mortals are financially destitute, though how that translates to a varrangoin is entirely unknown.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2018-12-26 at 03:27 PM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hoggie shakes his head as if to clear it after several minutes of focused staring at the tooth. His complexion is pale and his skin is beaded with perspiration as he get unsteadily to his feet. After a few seconds, he steadies and Tepes to all.
    Spoiler: to all concerned
    Show

“I was able to detect the previous two owners of the artifact. The last was a red haired Tanar’ri Succubus. She was compliant and full of guile when she held it. The previous owner was a bat-like humanoid called a varrangoin or “Abyssal bat”. The creature was feeling impoverished desperation. Does this information mean anything to anyone?”

17. - Top - End - #317

"I'm sure it's just a coincidence," tepes Rabbi Cohen, "but where I got the Bat Idol was in my final fight in an underground complex against a varrangoin named Sutolore on the distant ruins of Tamoachan, hundreds of leagues from here."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“It does not feel like coincidence to me. Demonic forces are at work in our plane and this artifact has something to do with it,” Tepes Hoggie. “Can you help with any insights, Rusty?”

19. - Top - End - #319

Rusty, who was sitting off to the side grooming himself (rather noisily, and in his privates), stops mid-butt-lick and stares at Hoggie, then around at everyone else before drawing his tongue back into his mouth. Then, in more intellect-driven style unlike what a cat could do, he shrugs his shoulders and holds up his empty paws.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler: tepe all
    Show

I will try to read it’s magic aura, but I do not think there is much chance that I will learn much more.”

Spoiler: crunch
    Show

occult skill check: read magic aura
    use rogue’s guile pool Pt.

21. - Top - End - #321

Hoggie meditates for 10 minutes over the tooth of Ahazu. Despite his lack of faith in himself, Hoggie - backed by his mind-expanding drugs and keen insight - psychically divines secrets that his psychic spells previously could not.
    Spoiler: Hoggie
    Show
    NOTE: Hoggie still does not know the history of the tooth of Ahazu, and that may be important to know later!

Tooth of Ahazu
    Aura of moderate transmutation; CL 9th

To employ the tooth of Ahazu, you must remove one of your own teeth and fit the tooth of Ahazu in its place. This bloody process requires a full-round action and deals 1 point of damage. Replacing a tooth with the tooth of Ahazu does not affect bite damage or give you a bite attack if you normally lack one.

You must have the tooth of Ahazu in your mouth for one full day before you can use its ability. After this time, the tooth allows you to make grapple checks as if you were one size category larger than your actual size, effectively granting you a +2 size bonus to CMB on all grapple checks.

The only way a foe can get your tooth is to render you helpless and physically remove it. Such a removal deals no damage. The tooth of Ahazu does not occupy a magic item body slot.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

"A creepy bat demon? We found something belonging to him in that mountain? So was the attack by fiery bats earlier a coincidence?"
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

23. - Top - End - #323

"I don't doubt that varrangoin serve Zotzilaha/ Camazotz in his deific court, but they are not the same. I defeated the varrangoing Sutolore; I have a feeling that the avatar of a god would have decimated us," says Rabbi Cohen.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler: Tepe to all
    Show

“I have learned all that I may from the artifact. It can be used to bolster a person’s ability to fight hand-to-hand but you must replace one of your teeth in the bargain. I don’t know why this artifact was left in the temple. Perhaps it will become clear in time. Let us finish our rest and then make haste to return home. There is still much to do.”

25. - Top - End - #325

Your rest is behind you, this was done in the morning. You do leave Tanaroa today, yes?
    Show

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

Corrin listens in on the conversation happening in his head, but makes no attempts at joining it feeling that 'speaking' even mind to mind is dangerously close to violating his vow of silence. Nevertheless, Corrin will use his usual method of communication to inform the others that he is ready to embark on a return journey when they are.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler: Tepe to all
    Show

“Thank you all for letting me intrude into your minds. I hope the experience was not unpleasant for you and since the duration of the contact is limited to an hour an a half or so, it is something that I will use sparingly when the need arises.”

Hoggie gathers Rusty and creates a floating disk for him and Corrin’s chest. Hoggie smiles and says:
    On the road again
    Goin' places that I've never been
    Seein' things that I may never see again
    And I can't wait to get on the road again.”

28. - Top - End - #328

The party travels SW along the peninsular plains, through the short stretch of jungle, and on to Burouac. Immediately after leaving, Rabbi Cohen will talk enjoy intellectual discourse with the hyper-intelligent Hoggie while the latter still has his telepathic bond and boosted intellect going.
    Spoiler: Hoggie and Vona
    Show
    As wise as he might be, Rabbi Cohen is surprisingly brilliant as well, on par with Hoggie's normal, unaugmented, non-magic-item-boosting acumen. Turns out he is not a cleric, as some might think, but specifically a priest. The difference is that his religious training is not about taking up arms against aggressors like a normal cleric, but is much more studious, with a little more power put into channeling. That said, Vona likewise enjoys the general logic games and phenomenal insight that Hoggie (temporarily) has, and she gets just as much a bead on Rabbi Cohen's mind as well.

In the evening, Skald focuses on his weapons drills with rapier and bow.
    DAY 8

Leaving Burouac, the party then does a straight shot across the plains to Mora on the southern coast inlet.

That evening, Skald holds a master class on combat technique - both ranged and melee - for not only the party, but the Mora chief and her most trusted warriors.

DAY 9
    The villagers of Mora again ferry the heroes back to Farshore, and the trip ends late at night.

The next day will be a debrief with Lavinia (post coming...)
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2018-12-29 at 08:17 AM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #329

DAY 10

Lady Lavinia holds a major conference with the PCs, Jade Ravens, and some of the other movers-shakers that morning.

Rabbi Cohen gives a debriefing of the party's efforts .... visiting several towns; getting to Tanaroa; issues with the fire-bats and appeasing Zotzilaha; and the final declaration of confederacy with the villagers and Farshore against the Crimson Fleet. The town council applauds the heroes [you] for such an outstanding job.

The Caller speaks for the "Watchtower Planners" (himself, Tolin, Shouting Tree, and Tavey Nesk) and discusses current issues, planning, and progress.

Vesserin is next, and he mentions that Liaemae has been helpful in helping him run the chapel. She has also helped him in various tasks such as healing, maintenance, sermons, and other spiritual matters. Unfortunately, they have not been successful so far in increasing the spiritual morale of the community, and he worries that if his new helper cannot buoy Farshore's spirits, that the colony - no matter how materially prepared they may be, will suffer from a lack of will.

Telda Syren, who runs the Apothecary's Infirmary, has been working with Kaskus to try and increase efficiency at the apothecary, but they have met with no real progress. They will continue to try a way of increasing efficiency.

With two failures, a major works project underway, and a major success, it is time to re-align tasks. Caller's crew, Vesserin & Liamae, and Telda & Syren ... will all continue as before.

It is now posed to the heroes ... do they wish to continue to work together or split up into other tasks?

For his part, Rabbi Cohen asks his fellows to stick together. While his heart is with the Sea Wyvern, he realizes that such a task will be more difficult without tar.

The colonists of Farshore have made a few excursions to the Isle of Dread's immense tar pit before, but the journey has always been a harrowing and deadly one - it's far easier to simply trade with the Olmans for what tar the colonists need. Yet for the coming attack, Farshore needs a lot more tar than ever before. Obtaining a large supply to aid in repairing damage done to the colony by the first attack or to aid in repairing the Sea Wyvern would certainly go a long way toward defeating the Crimson Fleet assault.

To repair the Sea Wyvern, damage to the Blue Nixie and other ships in Farshore harbor, and the damage to the palisade and other buildings, the colonists must be able to transport the tar safely. A well-traveled footpath between Tanaroa and the tar pits exists, and the colonists can certainly use it to transport what is needed.

Does going to get tar sound like a good next mission, or does anyone have any counter-proposals?
    Show

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Come and listen to a story about a man named JedA poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed,
    Then one day he was shootin at some food,
    And up through the ground came a bubblin crude.

Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.
    Well the first thing you know ol Jed's a millionaire,
    Kinfolk said Jed move away from there
    Said Californy is the place you ought to be
    So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly.”
    Hoggie smiles at nothing and pets Rusty.