New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Savage Tide III: Tides of Dread [IC]

Rabbi Cohen looks at Lady Lavinia. "I believe that is a vote for the tar pits."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Skald inquires as to whether flying tar back and forth might be faster?
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

3. - Top - End - #333

Rabbi Cohen looks at Skald. "Sure, but not in the amounts we need ... that you could carry back and forth."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ettin in the Playground

Vona hated to admit it, but the watchtower designs were solid. She still thought she could get a more efficient design, but not to a large enough degree that it was worth raising a fuss over. Moreover, if this Caller fellow was skilled enough to design this, he pretty good odds on satisfactorily handling the other engineering tasks. And while they could compare notes over skills later, the point it that the engineering aspects are in good enough hands that she can use the rest of her talents towards helping in this tar pit plan.

Though, if she was being honest with herself, part of the reason she wanted to go was to make things more amenable with Hoggie, while her initial take on the man was accurate, it was clear that it was incomplete. Somehow his internal and external thought processes were in conflict with each other. He seemed only able to speak in song, but when communicating with his mind directly, he was so much more coherent; almost elegant, really. If nothing else, he was far more deep than she originally realized and she wanted to at least apologize and... well she was going to say get their working relationship to be more normal, but whatever causes him to spek this way realistically prevents that. She supposes, then then she wants to make things right and get to a more professional relationship.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2019-01-16 at 03:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

After dropping off his chest of coin at home and writing out his adventures to his family, Corrin sleeps soundly on his bed. The next day Corrin arrives at the meeting dressed in sturdy laborer's garb. After hearing that the day would be spent hauling tar, Corrin thinks for a moment and writes, "I do not think I would be able to carry much with my stature... I can create pots to help others carry the tar back though. It would probably be best to either bring a cart to haul the tar or beasts of burden to do the same."

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

"The tar seems like an obvious next step, but there's not much in particular that I can do with it aside from standing guard while it's gathered and moved. Chilling and hardening it might make it easier to work with, but there's a limit to how much of that I can do and for how long."
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

7. - Top - End - #337

Lady Lavinia looks at Corrin. "I think you mistook your destination, and why Rabbi Cohen told Skald it would not work just for him to flit about. You would be going back to Tanaroa, and just outside of the large, protective gate blocking off the mainland from the isthmus."

Rabbi Cohen looks to Corrin, following Lady Lavinia, "In truth, it would be because of your stealth and skill with battle magic that we would have need of you. Believe me, the dangers beyond the gate are very real. The day we were shipwrecked, we awoke on the beach and were promptly attacked by a massive lizard - taller even than the Caller's own pet (he calls it an 'allosaurus'). Something which, when I told the Tanaroans about, they referred to the monster as one of the greatest carnivores, called a 'tryant lizard-king.'"

Looking to Tom, Rabbi Cohen adds with a loving smile, "And you, my friend and fellow elasmosaurus-tamer! If we deal with any more creatures like the fire-bats, your powers of winter, so unseasonable and alien in these lands, is a most refreshing addition."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-01-17 at 01:01 AM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

Corrin gives a thumbs up upon hearing that he would be useful as a scout and defender as others collect the tar.

9. - Top - End - #339

With no further discussion, the meeting is adjourned.

That morning, Hoggie will head off and wander about, just observing the goings-on in town. Corrin, seeing as his battle magic was specfically called out by the rabbi, gets together with Vona to help tutor her in casting control; the gnome is stunningly brilliant, but perhaps her intellect gets in her way as she seems to lag behind Corrin a bit in focus and he helps her with spherecasting control.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Corrin is 10th CL, Vona is 7th CL.
    Skald flies out to the farthest farms of the colony to be on the edge of the jungle to commune with nature. Rabbi Cohen tutors Tom on very basic healing magics that were overlooked by the powerful oracle.

In the afternoon, Corrin seeks out Rabbi Cohen. The halfling has some pointed questions and desires to learn about general anatomy that the dwarven priest can answer, though in truth the halfling is more about learning how to shut those processes down than heal them. Vona follows her small friend and sits in on the session, asking similar questions of her own. Tom and Hoggie likewise sit in on this session, but take more beneficent notes than their two smaller friends.
    Spoiler
    Show
    One of the minor things our small folk learn is that in his splinter worship of Moradin ... in the Dwarffather's aspect as the "Soul-Forger" Rabbi Cohen has given himself to the healing tenets of the faith, and posses the Restoration Subdomain of the Healing Domain.
    Skald, his meditations from the morning complete, wild shapes into local fauna to further explore from that animal's point-of-view (but refuses to say what animal he chose).

That evening, Skald returns and at Lavinia's request he holds combat training for all "senior combatants" of the colony - the PCs, the Jade Ravens, and Lavinia herself. Interestingly enough, Lord Avner Meravanchi deigns to show.

The day passes ...

I need everyone that has adjustable daily resources (e.g., veils, prepared spells, mutagens/cognatogens, etc.) to let me know if you change your array or not ... and I will assume this is the standard for the next several days of travel back to Tanaroa and to the tar pits.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-01-23 at 12:39 AM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hoggie is fine with his standard setup.

11. - Top - End - #341

DAY 11

The group heads out as before, and the standard is that once it gets warm enough, Skald uses his druidic magic to protect the group from the elements, and then Rabbi Cohen follows that up for the second part of the day. The first day is miserable as the party gets no reprieve from the hot sun as they are on the water all day on outriggers heading to Mora.

Once in Mora, they are given a larger hut (as they will be in the villages) from which to set up camp. They are not "celebrated" as before, nor are they ignored. The party is fed and watered (and shoed and blued, ha!) but there is no massive communal event as before. This doesn't seem to come from a place of complacency or unexplained changed loyalties, but the fact the Olmans know that the party is now - with the alliance - working for the safety of all the villages, peninsula, and islands. So, let the heroes get the rest they need, they feel.

That said, Rabbi Cohen makes sure that the party continues to train and work together - not just travel together. He continues tutoring Tom in healing magic as before, but allows the zombie master and his apprentice to attend. Skald, takes the rest of the party, as well as the chief and a handful of her best warriors, and conducts advanced combat training with all.

DAY 12

The party moves northeast to Burouac. That evening, Hoggie needs some time away from the group at large to medicate-meditate. Corrin works alone on speed-striking exercises. Burouac, which is on the northeast part of the peninsula, hosts a lovely natural lagoon. Rabbi Lazer (who translates for Tom and Skald, who are with him) discusses the various means of controlling the interesting single-pontoon outriggers that the Olmans use. Rabbi Lazer seems keen on how it can be used in battle against the larger ships the Crimson Fleet is likely to use, while still protecting the exposed rowers. For her part, Vona works on some ideas she's had on how some of the engineering projects in Farshore might be made more efficient.

DAY 13
    The heroes shoot the gap of jungle as before while heading northwest to again reach Tanaroa. As with Burouac, however, the decreased speed of the party is made apparent as they've arrived in early evening each time instead of late afternoon.

A meeting is held to let Chief J'kal understand the PCs' return. She nods and is willing to help with wheelbarrows and other simple things. She would even be willing to spare some villagers to help, but there is a problem. A well-traveled footpath between Tanaroa and the tar pits exists, and the colonists can certainly use it to transport what is needed.

The problem lies with the fact that one of the isle's oldest and angriest dinosaurs has recently settled in the region. The villagers of Tanaroa have been unable to gather tar from the pits for several weeks, and are quick to warn anyone who indicates that they wish to do so as well. It seems that a grizzled tyrannosaurus (known locally as Temauhti-tecuani), has claimed the tar pits as his territory. The dinosaur has learned that it's easier to simply eat creatures that have become stuck in the tar, and views the entire thing as his banquet table now. Although the tar pits are large, the dinosaur is relentless in his patrols of his territory, and not long after anyone attempts to gather a significant amount of tar, the monster's arrival causes panic and mayhem. Before Farshore can gather the tar it needs, someone needs to deal with Temauhti-tecuani.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hoggie will pantomime head to head telepathy request to the party.
    “Two hearts living in just one mind?”

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

Vona nods; she was looking for an opportunity to link with him anyway.

14. - Top - End - #344

Hoggie sets up a telepathic bond (two, actually) with the rest of the group to determine what they can about a tyrannosaurus (rex). The two top minds for natural phenomena, it turns out, are Skald .... and Lazer a distant second. In fact, Skald's knowledge of the jungle animals is peerless, especially since they fought one and Skald took copious mental notes.

A tyrannosaurus rex alone is a tough fight for a group like yours. They are Gargantuan, usually getting to be about 40' long from snout to tip of tail, and weighing in at around 7 tons. Their massive bite is designed for holding its prey, and against smaller prey it can swallow it whole. They are as fast on land as a heavy warhorse, but have the running endurance and ability in the open of a relentless steed. Their strength is practically unmatched in the animal kingdom, with teeth that can cause nasty, bleeding wounds and for all of that, as can be expected ... they are extremely hard to kill.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-01-25 at 06:50 PM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

Vona brings her hand up to her chin in thought. "Is there a way we can use the tar pit to our advantage? I could try and wall it in, but I don't think I could build them fast enough or sturdy enough to deter it."

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hoggie Tepes to the group in his lilting aristocratic accent.
    “Thank you again for speaking to me in this way. Your understanding is much appreciated.
    As to our lizard problem, as much as I would prefer a peaceful resolution, the beast is not going to abandon such a lucrative food source as the Tar pits and it is a serious hazard to the local population. My reluctant suggestion is that we eliminate the threat ...permanently. My idea is that we have Skald fly reconnaissance to locate a suitable location to trap the dinosaur and create a “kill box” , if you will. We would need a densely wooded clearing or box canyon where we can surround the creature and attack from multiple sides from within cover. I can built a trap to give us an advantage in the fight.
    Spoiler: duel swinging log trap
    Show
    see mechanical trap creation
    Spoiler: duel swinging log trap
    Show

If Skald can distract the Tyrannosaurus from the air long enough for us to get ready and then lead it into the trap, I can create a sickening illusion 40 feet long and 20 feet high that should stop it where we can focus our attacks on it. It is important for most of us, I think, to stay out of close quarters combat with such a powerful creature. I intend to levitate up and hide in tree canopy outside of its range. Comments? Suggestions?”

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Skald nods his head in agreement with the plan.

Skald tepes back: Once herding the creature there, I may be able to change into a similar style beast to provide a large nemesis to keep it from attacking the rest.
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2019-01-26 at 09:03 AM.

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

"When we fought a smaller creature like that, illusions worked to distract it... at least for a while."

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hoggie Tepes : “I first read about the dual swinging log trap in a research journal. It documented that a race of diminutive, arboreal, furry bipeds that often attacked much larger foes with such traps. I have been dying to try one!”

20. - Top - End - #350

Skald, jungle expert supreme, notes a flaw in the plan.

The jungle is (likely) too thick about the tar pits to be able to find cleared areas that aren't the tar pits themselves, and because of having to constantly move around lianas and vegetation, even his (and Rabbi Cohen's) flight is limited. Worse, a normal tyrannosaurus is large enough that a flyer really is forced to be more "at level" (though altitude varies) with such a monster, instead of having a safe ceiling above such a monster.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hoggie Tepes : “Skald. A creature of that size will have created game trails around the pits as it patrols its territory, right? We can follow those trails and find the right spot for an ambush, perhaps its den. I can move through the jungle invisible and quiet as I am sure you can. Perhaps Doc Cohen can provide aerial reconnaissance and map the area? We all can maintain mental contact for about a hour and a half when I cast the telepathic link so we can keep tabs on everyone. We should do the exploring when the Dinosaur is sleeping, I assume at night. With the increased danger at night, we should work in pairs.
    What do you all think?”

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Skald looks at Tom with a slight look of confusion and then looks back to Hoggie...

Tepe: "The game trail idea has merit but scouting will be difficult. I don't know the sleep pattern for a creature like this as you may recall we fought the one on the beach during the day. Generally they are more active in the evening but your guess is as good as mine. We could try exploring in the mid morning. That could be just after it has gone down to sleep. Flying won't add to the safety as the jungle canopy is so thick we would be forced to fly under it and pretty much right at level with the beast anyway."
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2019-01-28 at 04:29 PM.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hoggie Tepes: “We know that it hunts/scavenges at the tar pits and most likely during the day. There is no canopy at the pits so if we can get above the canopy here (or at the shore, a dead fall or river); we should be able to locate the beast. If that isn’t feasible, we should send our stealthy members to hunt it down and track it to its lair and then attack in force.”

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

"I've heard stories of predators going after prey stuck in tar or quicksand and getting stuck themselves. I don't know if we have any way of pushing or forcing something that big... but maybe if we can make it mistake tar for solid ground?"

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

Vona raised a finger "I can do one better. I can make a covering over the pit. Not all of it, probably, but a noteworthy piece. Then once he's over the tar, I let the molecular bonds break and 'un-create' it out from under him"

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Skald Tepes"I could still make myself into a similarly sized creature and try to push it into the tar."

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hoggie chimes in (Tepe) “That’s risky, Skald. You could be injured or fall into the pits. We need bait to lure it out onto the platform. Can anyone create the illusion of a trapped prey animal ? If not, it most likely would persue our party if we get it angry enough.
    We drop the walkway out from under him and then we fly or walk back to shore. Vona? Will you dissolving part of your platform, cause the rest to collapse?”

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Skald Tepes back: "What if I were to become a female of the species? That might lure him out... Provided it's a him..."

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hoggie Tepes in response: “Sounds good but a rival male in his territory might be just as good or better. Once you are at the end of the platform, you could change back and fly away. How well can you roar? What protective spells can we give him..?”

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ettin in the Playground

Vona nods to Hoggie. "If we go for the shapeshifting plan, I'd suggest going for a male. I really don't want to imagine what it might do to you if we can't respond in time. I mean, wounds can be healed. That monster deciding that you're its mate and acting accordingly is something altogether different."
    Last edited by digiman619; 2019-01-29 at 08:40 PM. Reason: wrong coding