New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Savage Tide III: Tides of Dread [IC]

Kabsi, having finished his diagnosis began applying his own healing techniques to Rusty.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If I don't have the hands veil bound, I will move 2 essence into it to add to the healing. I will then apply it until he either is fully healed or I hit my 8/day/person limit. Also, if he is suffering from things other than HP damage, I will put an essence into him and retrieve it to hopefully remove those conditions.
    (2d6+10)[18] + (2d6)[4] if unbound.
    (2d6+10)[19] + (2d6)[7] if unbound.
    (2d6+10)[17] + (2d6)[6] if unbound.
    (2d6+10)[16] + (2d6)[8] if unbound.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Colossus in the Playground

It only takes one pass to heal Rusty of all of the 1 hp of damage he had suffered.

Rusty touches Hoggie again with his paw for 22 healing.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

Having finished the with the first patient, he then turned to Hoggie to begin helping him.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Oops, wrong person. Good thing that it didn't cost me a spell slot or whatever. I do the same to Hoggie.

4. - Top - End - #784

Rusty actually surprised Kabsi with how much healing he can pack with, umm .... lay on toe-beans? With Rusty's two applications of lay on toe-beans, it only takes 3 rounds/ applications of Kabsi's sexy touch to fully heal Hoggie.

Oh, and a minor correction, two earth demons took a sword apiece. Nobody took Hoggie's pack off of him, because it is nearly as laughable that he stands watch in full pack as it is that any of the rest of you have your packs, tents, etc. while you sleep.

Does anybody have any business at the battle site? Clues searching or anything? RP .... like, "Hoggie, what happened?" or anything like that?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-05-29 at 05:01 PM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BuckGodot View Post
    "What's happened? Are you wounded?"he says to Hoggie, an unusual look of concern on his face as he sees the amount of blood everywhere.
    Just as a reminder...
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

6. - Top - End - #786

With Hoggie looking shellshocked, even though his body has been healed, Rusty says, "We were attacked by these earth demon things. They seemed to be made of stone, looked like devils, had claws, bite, and horns. They said something abou this being revenge for their fallen king? That two of our band supposedly killed their king .... or something?"
    Show

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

The color returns to Hoggie's skin as his furry pal administers to him. Hoggie scratches in front of the cats ears earning him a deep throated purr. When Kabsi starts touching; him he flinches away as if he fears human contact but appears to steel himself to allow the ministration to run its course.
    When he is feeling a bit more like his old self, he turns to Skald to answer his question.
    "What Happened? That is an interesting question. I think I can tell you..." Hoggie's eyes loose focus and roll up into his head as he begins to recite in a monotone voice.
    "It was my watch last night when Rustphalia alerted me to a disturbance to the South along the way we had journeyed today. The Moon was just past zenith and waxing gibbous. The light had a particular granular quality and the terrain was filled with stark shadows and a brown lizard darted out from under a rock to snare an unwary luna moth."
    Rusty, who was rubbing himself against Hoggie's calf, bats at the aforementioned limb and like bumping a record stuck in a grove, Hoggie's account stops briefly before resuming.
    "Realizing that this sound might be the mysterious party that we had sensed several times before, I quietly moved to Skald's position to wake him. I pantomimed asking permission for me to form a telepathic link for the purposes of silent communication. He agreed. I communicated with him saying "Rusty Heard movement in the rocks over there. I am going to investigate quietly. Do not wake the others yet. Whatever this is, it is very cautious and there may not be any danger. Remain here." Needless to say I was wrong. The Stone Demons, as I have come to refer to them, are definitely dangerous. Although, if they hadn't surprised and surrounded me, I should have been able to ..."
    Rusty kneads into Hoggie's leg, digging in his claws.
    "...So I began to carefully move southward along the trail with my trusty furry friend. I was careful to make no sound but after we were about 120' from camp, Rustphalia shouted a telepathic warning. "Look Out!" So I did. The very rock seemed to come alive all around us. I took a moderate scratch to the belly and one of the creatures tried to push me towards the sea cliff. Rustphalia said "Must be some kind of stone demons!". He then took flight and moved away from the viscous demons. I got pushed again and closer to shear cliff before I could even react. There were four creatures. Roughly man sized, with horns, claws, stone skin and bat-like wings. I don't think they would be able to fly with their obvious mass and wings made of stone, but they did. Must be some sort of magical ability that either reduces their mass or ..."
    Rusty butts into Hoggie's shin.
    "Where was I. Oh, yes. They had me surrounded and pinned against the cliff edge and they began to try to push me over the edge. I contacted Skald and said "Skald, got some kind of rock creatures here. Seem aggressive. Going to try to communicate." At least that was what I was going to do. Skald replied, "Try not to anger it. I will become an earth elemental again in hopes to also communicate." The creatures had not spoken yet, so I didn't know if communication was possible, but I was determined to try.  One of the demons tried to over-run me but I was able to slip past him and buy some more space in which to maneuver. I attempted to cast a spell defensively to turn into a gas cloud. Normally this is relatively simple spell, but I was unable to concentrate well enough to complete it while defending myself. I asked Rusty, "Hey Pal? Can you try and communicate with these creatures? Find out what they want but be careful, they are very aggressive." Rusty replied, "Umm, they claim that two of our band killed their ...King? Yeah, and they wan payback. You want me to heal you?". I did but before I could reply the demons opened up with a flurry of viscous attacks; my back was injured. I think possible a broken vertebrae. Or a pinched nerve. Then a savage claw attack spun me around. That was bad. I was disorientated. Like if you stand up too fast after smoking mushrooms. Ummm ...mushrooms..."
    Rusty rears up and digs both front paws into Hoggie's thigh.
    "What? Oh yes. I asked Rusty for some healing and called Skald saying "Better move it or these things are going to kill me!" I was taking a lot of punishment at this point. I tried a third time to cast the gaseous cloud spell but I am too distracted. Rusty flies in an gives me a good bit of healing but the overwhelming number of attacks knock me to the ground, dying. "Nooo!" wails Rusty. Thanks, pal. That is the last thing I remember until Rusty woke me. There was only one demon left. He began to try to kill me again. With the little nap to refresh me, I am finally able to cast the spell and be protected from their attacks as my body turned to gas. The demon then cursed that I did not understand and spoke in poor common "We have struck for the honor of our fallen King. We will harry your steps and return. And then it flew away. I still don't know how they do that!. That is all"
    Hoggie seems to come out of the fugue state and blinks rapidly. He steps back, task completed and begins to take stock of his inventory.
    Last edited by Blackhawk101; 2020-05-29 at 08:17 PM.

8. - Top - End - #788

Shouting Tree mutters to Skald. "Vis-cous ... he keeps using that word. I do not think it means what he thinks it means."
    Show

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ettin in the Playground

Rhoha has never much cared for the groups madman. Having someone touched by the spirits can be both boon and bane. The face that this one either communicates in riddles or in rare moments of lucidity inundates Rhoha with a diatribe in a language other than Rhoha's mother tongue gives him a headache.

What did stick was that the madman was attacked and then didn't fight back. Rhoha shakes his head and speaks, "This land is not one which rewards mercy. The next time you are struck you should strike back. Only strength is respected in the wilds." then to the rest Rhoha asks, "Do we hunt them down? Hard to track flying prey. Harder still when they look as rock does. We also are pressed for time yes?"
    Last edited by bcool999; 2020-05-29 at 09:01 PM.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Skald looks to Shouting Tree and nods his head with an eye roll.

I think it best to move on... The creatures did say they would be back so we must be extra wary. Perhaps in our next encounter we can get more information from them about this alleged attack. Going forward, no one travels out alone. If we think we hear something, wake the whole camp. Questions? Suggestions?"

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

11. - Top - End - #791

Rusty is grooming his claw, the way cats do, but as he is nibbling at something on the bottom of his paw, Rhoha gets the distinct feeling that the middle "toe" with claw extended is more than a coincidence.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Skald stops mid-step and turns to Hoggie and says, "Wait... Stone creatures? With wings? Oh no. No... No, no, no..." He reaches up and touches the space where his eye once was...

"Gargoyles... and he will recount the attack by the Gargoyle King and his minions... Pausing and turning away from the group as he comes to the portion of the story in which he lost his eye... But regaining his composure and carrying on to the eventual defeat...

Concluding with, "They're most likely here for me... Hoggie, I'm sorry this happened to you on my account."

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hoggie nods in acknowledgement.
    “Two hearts living in just one mind?”
    Hoggie asks to everyone. A familiar pressure is felt in each mind.
    Spoiler: Hoggie >>> collective
    Show

Hoggie will spend two fourth level spell slots to cast telepathic bond for anyone who is willing.
    to Skald should he accept:
    “Good. Now that we know the danger, we can plan on how to defeat it. I don’t think these creatures will give up on attacking us, especially now that they have tasted victory. What do you know about them? Where could they be camped on this island? Not too far if they have been tracking us. Do they have weaknesses or vulnerabilities? I will try to remember if I have read anything about them in the past. Anyone else have anything to offer?”
    Spoiler: crunch
    Show

Spoiler: crunch
    Show
    Hoggie will listen to the groups input before finding a spot back at camp To work and meditate.
    he will create and imbibe his cognatogen for INT. He will spend guile pool to boost his knowledge skill checks to determine if he has any knowledge of these Gargoyles.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Skald will accept and think a moment before responding.

15. - Top - End - #795

Spoiler: Hoggie
    Show
    Telepathic link set up. We are NOT back at the camp yet, but still at the attack site. Your actions are predicated on return to camp, which hasn't happened yet.
    Any inputs or comments or telepathic replies before returning to camp?

NOTE: It took Skald five minutes to tell the story of the Gargoyle King's attack, Skald's loss of his eye, and the eventual defeat of the gargoyles.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-05-30 at 06:45 PM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ettin in the Playground

Kabsi was more intrigued that Hoggie could speak normally whilst in the fugue state than with his injuries. Still, he pondered about what had happened here. "Hmm. If they're made of stone, my ability to harm them is limited; most of what I do depends on manipulating the natural energies of living beings, and constructed beings are tricky to affect."

17. - Top - End - #797

After Kabsi's musings, he discusses his thoughts with Skald, the latter whom has theoretical understanding of monsters found in nature, as well as practical combat experience. Here is what they know ...
    1. Gargoyles are "monstrous humanoids." This means that they can be expected to be tough, good fighters, quick and stubborn, possessing a moderate amount of skills to help them cope in their environment, and able to see in the dark.
    2. Though not elementals or truly "made" of rock through-and-through, their stony outer carapaces are enough that they do possess a relationship to other creatures of earth.
    3. They are notoriously hard to hurt for normal mortals, but it seems that any enchanted weapon can overcome their rocky hard to hurt them. Rusty didn't bother attacking them, and the gargoyles all but ignored Rusty, likely for this very reason.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler: Hoggie >>>Everyone
    Show

“Skald, do you know where their base or lair would be on the island? How many did you encounter the last time? I await your response but I will need to return to camp to meditate on what we now know. Perhaps it would be possible to trap one and learn more...“

19. - Top - End - #799

Skald ...
    Spoiler: Skald
    Show
    you have the map that is a combination of what the Olmans and Farshore folks knew, even with some of your own notations (such as Dark Mountain Pass, Aranea Lair, and Wreck of the Sea Wyvern). The notation for the Gargoyle Aerie is "map hearsay" and not anything that can be taken for exact positioning, but the Olmans do believe that the stone demons live on the most inhospitable spur of mountains on the eastern peninsula of the Isle of Dread.

OOC: See OOC Post #2!
    Show

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

After considering for a moment, Skald says, "I feel our best bet, given the time limitations we have is to move on at pace and deal with the gargoyles as they come. We just need to be extra wary..."

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler: Hoggie>>>All
    Show

“Yes, time is of the essence so it’s probably for the best to focus on saving Farshore. Thank you for your help .”

Hoggie and Rusty will make their way back to camp. He will prepare his cognatogen and think on the gargoyles, focusing on their weaknesses and how to trap them.

22. - Top - End - #802

Hoggie and Rusty make their way back to camp .... along with everyone else, of course ...

... only to find out that while you were gone, your camp was ravaged, rifled, and robbed!

Even the bedrolls and blankets and Hoggie's tent left behind have a variety of the foulest excreta on it.
    Spoiler: Robbed
    Show
    Please see your sheets for what you now have.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ettin in the Playground

Rhoha

”Gah! Those filthy stone magpies! If they dare show themselves again, I will strip them of their stony hides and cook them over a fire!” Rhoha roars out to the Gargoyles he is almost certain have stayed behind to watch them.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Everyone take a quick inventory and see if anything crucial is missing and report back to me." He starts looking through what's left of his gear.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hoggie and Rusty report in to Skald. Hoggie shakes his head and reports somewhat forlornly.
    “Baby, baby, baby, babyI beg you please, please, please, please
    I need your love, need your love
    I need your love, I need your love
    So bring it on back, so bring it on back
    Bring it on back, bring it on back

Bring back that lovin' feelin'
    Whoa, that lovin' feelin'
    Bring back that lovin' feelin'
    'Cause it's gone, gone, gone
    And I can't go on, whoa-oh”

26. - Top - End - #806
    Ettin in the Playground

Kabsi had been quiet once his healing services stopped being needed. He too was robbed, though he was more worried about his healing supplies being gone rather than the funds being missing. After reporting his losses, he takes Skald aside and asks "As much as I want my possessions recovered, do we have time for it? You have been gathering strength to ready for an oncoming threat. Dare we tally long enough to retrieve our goods? Or will we be out of range when the threat comes?"
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-06-08 at 02:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"I agree... We dare not tarry..."

If there is nothing absolutely crucial missing, Skald will order a general cleanup of what's been soiled, double the watch and rest for the rest until morning.
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2020-06-10 at 03:31 AM.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hoggie’s stomach grumbles loudly as he peers forlornly at his remaining possessions. No snacks tonight.

29. - Top - End - #809

It is the middle of the night, which poses a host of possible issues. So, Skald, what is your intention for this nightime decampment?
    Show

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Skald will clean what remains of his gear, but feeling guilt at possibly attracting these foes, he will also stand the next watch.