New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Help with picking a system

Hey all. I plan on trying to run a game for a small YouTube series with some buds, I have a lot of the story planning ready, but I can’t really settle on a system. So far I’ve been debating between:

Shadowrun—> has great combat from what I’ve heard BUT I’m unsure on how well it handles RP and moderate levels of investigation.

GUMSHOE—> Great roleplaying system that enables very interesting skill interaction in investigation and RP BUT causes me to have to buy the system as a pdf and I don’t think it’s combat system is as flexible as I’d like.

Pathfinder—> I have a lot of system mastery, I am semi decent at home brewing in this system, and I enjoy how it handles role playing and combat BUT I have no clue how well it handles investigation.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Help with picking a system

Tell us more about the game, what it's about, what you want things to focus on, etc.

It sounds, so far, like your criteria are:

a) free
    b) handles investigations relatively well
    c) handles non-combat stuff well
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking)"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

If you want rules light because you don't want to learn a massive new system I would suggest Fantasy AGE, It just has good stuff, but if you want less luck and more in depth stuff you might want pathfinder, only problem, it's hyper unbalanced. Like terribly unbalanced
    GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    You still use your own skull, apparently. A draco-demilich would be an awesome sight.

"I am...the God of Heavy Metal Album Covers."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    Tell us more about the game, what it's about, what you want things to focus on, etc.

It sounds, so far, like your criteria are:

a) free
    b) handles investigations relatively well
    c) handles non-combat stuff well
    Basically I want the game to be equal parts role play and combat, I also want it to be in a modern setting, I plan on magic being somewhat rare and the pc’s most likely won’t have access to it. The PC’s will all be average joes investigating and fighting magic and eldritch horrors.

5. - Top - End - #5

d20 modern

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

BRP
    GURPS
    Fate
    Savage Worlds
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking)"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfruitz View Post
    Basically I want the game to be equal parts role play and combat, I also want it to be in a modern setting, I plan on magic being somewhat rare and the pc’s most likely won’t have access to it. The PC’s will all be average joes investigating and fighting magic and eldritch horrors.
    So you want Call of Cthulhu?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Fate would work.

*actually checks OP*

Yep, I was right.

Shadowrun will handle investigations pretty well, but it's an incredibly crunchy system that does not handle munchkins well. If your players don't try to break the system, it'll work fine, but it does require some modifications if you use it outside of its setting (though what you described works within the shadowrun world).
    Last edited by DeTess; 2018-06-06 at 11:38 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfruitz View Post
    This basically screams Nemesis to me. It's a free modern action-horror game using the ORE engine (I think it's where ORE got started, even), with a side of the supernatural that generally isn't going to show up much on the PC side. It's got some solid combat mechanics and is built to handle a fair bit of combat, but it's also has plenty of room for everything else, including specialized mechanics around the PCs developing in the face of trauma that invites for role playing.

It's also free, and while it's fairly crunchy it's also only 62 pages long, and can be learned quickly.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.