New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Conan Exiles

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Conan Exiles

I went ahead and bought the game am like 4 hours into it and really enjoying it.

Its basically minecraft for adults with murder and looting (If you join a PvP server)

Has a few glitches still, but nothing that ruined my experience so far.

A lot of people have created full FP servers. Did I mention you can host your own games with up to 70 players and complete control over core game mechanics.

What I like best is that its challenging. Going to be real challenging when I switch to a PvP server and see if I can survive/thrive.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Conan Exiles

It looked interesting. I am a bit reluctant after Yatzhee's review mentions that some higher level gear take 80-200 base material to build

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    It looked interesting. I am a bit reluctant after Yatzhee's review mentions that some higher level gear take 80-200 base material to build
    It doesn't really take very long to get that, once you have any sort of decent set-up. Harvesting enough iron ore for 200 iron isn't terribly hard, once you find the damn ore. And once you get iron tools, it's really pretty fast to get more iron ore, because you can harvest so much faster. Ditto hides etc.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Having caught part of Yatzhee's stream, I can honestly say he was not particularly interested in actually playing it from what I saw. He was basically just running around doing random things and talking about how he'd rather be playing other games the entire time I watched and it was close to the start of the stream too. So, y'know, I can't honestly say he gave it a fair shake.

Also, what Warty said, once you know where to find things it isn't hard to build up the materials you need for things. Especially once you upgrade your gear to using better materials.

All said, Conan Exiles has some problems in that it doesn't give you a whole ton of incentive to move out of the starting area and the game needs its update to the creatures rather badly to even out the challenge level of the game. But its visually distinct and cool, has the best building system that I've seen in one of these survival games, and...I'unno..it just scratches an itch for me that other survival games don't.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

2 years later update.... Have near 2000 hours into the game.

The building is unrivaled and just when I get burned out, they release something new.
    Brand new map, horses, pets, etc.

My old crew of D&Ders from the 80's have been enjoying this game for a long time.

The pvp really shines, but plenty to do if people aren't into it (my clan won't play on PvP servers any longer, cause it can be stressful and having your castle destroyed and everything you worked 100's of hours on taken by a superior clan... can be frustrating. [ for me, the thrills of wiping out someone's castle and requisitioning all their gear, slaves, and magic items -- is unparalleled])

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Game Over
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2