New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1489
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary VIII: insAIne in the mAInfrAIme

Yes, that is undoubtedly the original reference diremage was making.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Maybe I'm being thick here, but when have the Pa'anuri ever been shown as having the strength to chuck *planets* around? Sure, their very high gravitational effect would theoretically allow them to do that, but assuming that's what is happening here, those planets aren't going to go very fast when "thrown" (otherwise they'd be torn apart by tidal forces). So, overall, I'm with Tagon, this really isn't much of a danger.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Yeah., there's practically none for a warship. It's trying to kill a fly by throwing a bowling ball at it. Unless this is how Howard claims the DMBs cause a supernova by throwing the planets at the sun... even that's no real danger to the ship as it can teraport away, and a supernova is going to cause more damage then anything it can do anyway.

4. - Top - End - #1414

DwarfClericGuy

When did we go from 'this isn't me just a preprogrammed copy with limited options and knowledge' to 'I know everything and am up to date' cindy?

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    When did we go from 'this isn't me just a preprogrammed copy with limited options and knowledge' to 'I know everything and am up to date' cindy?
    Off-panel, as usual.

You know, I am wondering if we can plug Schlock in there and give him full command of a planet sized warship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Troll in the Playground

But the big significance of this update is that the rig Ennesby is using probably won't work either. Not directly anyway.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    I'm not convinced we did, the whole thing could just be sloppy use of "I" by the Cindy-clone.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    You know, I am wondering if we can plug Schlock in there and give him full command of a planet sized warship.
    Schlock's species did evolve from computer memory storage devices, so he should be able to interface, somehow, with a little bit of glue provided by Cindy-Shell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Schlock's species did evolve from computer memory storage devices, so he should be able to interface, somehow, with a little bit of glue provided by Cindy-Shell.
    Quite right. In some ways Schlock's species is more similar to the DMBs than most any other life form we have seen.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Quite right. In some ways Schlock's species is more similar to the DMBs than most any other life form we have seen.
    Hmm. Does that mean that, hooked to the dark-matter ressurection machine, he could "Give his form to this formless smear" and engage in immune-combat with the rest of the dark matter entities?
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2020-04-01 at 07:55 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Hmm. Does that mean that, hooked to the dark-matter ressurection machine, he could "Give his form to this formless smear" and engage in immune-combat with the rest of the dark matter entities?
    Wow, that would be one big Schlock.

I'm actually hoping this is where Howard is going with this now. (Even though comic pictures of two creatures that size fighting aren't that different from images of normal sized creatures fighting, even the background is the same, provided the smaller creatures are standing in front of a window.)
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

If Schlock gets his immune system, there probably wouldn't be much of a fight.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Can someone decipher the art here to figure out what happened?

14. - Top - End - #1424

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Can someone decipher the art here to figure out what happened?
    I'm confused too, but as best as I can tell, Schlock seems to have abandoned ship and used some sort of weaponized teraport to rip apart of the opposing Pa'anuri.

15. - Top - End - #1425

BlackDragon

Given the comment there were missiles on the way, did they just teraport their ship into the middle of the Pa'anuri and let the missiles do the job? Agreed, though, if that *is* what's happening it's incredibly unclear.

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Given the comment there were missiles on the way, did they just teraport their ship into the middle of the Pa'anuri and let the missiles do the job? Agreed, though, if that *is* what's happening it's incredibly unclear.
    The enemy panuri is already in the middle of a ship, and I only see 1 ship there- I am forced to conclude that the ship the missiles were shot at is currently unmanned.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Bugbear in the Playground

The enemy panuri is already in the middle of a ship, and I only see 1 ship there- I am forced to conclude that the ship the missiles were shot at is currently unmanned.
    Yes, it's definitely not clear, but I think that last panel is attempting to depict the panuri dying after getting hit with the missiles.

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Troll in the Playground

Missiles don't hurt Pa'anuri, they don't interact with matter enough for that. It's the whole reason teraports have been the only weapon used on them since they first appeared.

I think the idea is that schlock's mini-ship suit has a teraport cannon and he jumped around shooting the pa'anuri from multiple angles. Note how he's out in the void rather than still on the bridge of the ship he was previously on.

It's really unclear though.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

19. - Top - End - #1429

BlackDragon

I just don't think Schlock's suit would have anything like the power required to hurt a beast the size of a planet, though. They did *something* with their captured warship to hurt the thing, I'm pretty sure of that, it's just entirely unclear what.

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Ettin in the Playground

I just don't think Schlock's suit would have anything like the power required to hurt a beast the size of a planet, though. They did *something* with their captured warship to hurt the thing, I'm pretty sure of that, it's just entirely unclear what.
    That argument would apply the same to the Dragon class warship being able to shoot up a planet-size target, despit being able to terraport into an empty warehouse.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Terapoting hurts and can kill them. I think that's what they did there. The ship teraported into the DMB and killed it for the moment. Really hard to figure out this page

22. - Top - End - #1432

BlackDragon

That argument would apply the same to the Dragon class warship being able to shoot up a planet-size target, despit being able to terraport into an empty warehouse.
    Well, firstly, remind me where that happened, because I don't remember myself. Secondly, a Dragon-class warship is orders of magnitude larger than Schlock's little mini-suit. If you're saying Schlock's suit is as powerful as the Tough's main warship, why do they have a warship at all? They could just go around in their suits and do more damage!

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Troll in the Playground

Keep in mind that said fragsuit has been busy eating parts of planet-size warship to make itself bigger and better. Also teraports tend to not look that explodey so there is definitely something going on outside of "spammed teraports at it"
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Also teraports tend to not look that explodey so there is definitely something going on outside of "spammed teraports at it"
    Teraports don't usually happen into Pa'anuri, I'm not sure what's going on, but there does seem to be reason to think spamming teraports into a Pa'anuri might hurt it, and that would seem to fit what we saw.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Teraports don't usually happen into Pa'anuri, I'm not sure what's going on, but there does seem to be reason to think spamming teraports into a Pa'anuri might hurt it, and that would seem to fit what we saw.
    The explosions are the wrong color to be visual representation of Pa'anuri teraport wounds.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Can someone ask Howard on Twitter or something?

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Ogre in the Playground

I think in theory in the center of each teraport blast you can see the thing that's being teraported. It definitely doesn't look like the ship. It could be Schlock in a suit.

I also agree if Schlock can kill them this easily the threat is a lot smaller than I originally believed.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2020-04-05 at 07:28 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    I think in theory in the center of each teraport blast you can see the thing that's being teraported. It definitely doesn't look like the ship. It could be Schlock in a suit.

I also agree if Schlock can kill them this easily the threat is a lot smaller than I originally believed.
    Maybe not-Cindy called in close air support now that they are in a galaxy where that's a thing?

Ennesby compared hitting a DaME with a standard ship-based teleport to peppering a bull elephant with a saturday night special, so I don't think that's really what happened here.

Come to think of it, they won the first fight by "blanketing the core in TAD systems," which might not stop an intergalactic teleport but would certainly be a bit painful for anything that landed in the kill zone. Wonder what happened to those? And why is that no longer a solution here?

Edit: Nope, I'm wrong, Schlock killed a whole planet-sized DAME by his lonesome in the time it took to talk smack to it. What's the big deal with these guys, and why did an entire fleet fail to defend Xuvoth but Schlock by his lonesome can solo them?

The plot holes, you could throw Jupiter through them x.x#
    Last edited by diremage; 2020-04-06 at 08:47 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Ogre in the Playground

She's wrong, this is not entertaining.

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by diremage View Post
    Ennesby compared hitting a DaME with a standard ship-based teleport to peppering a bull elephant with a saturday night special, so I don't think that's really what happened here.
    You have to remember that the ship Schlock is using is the size of a large planet. It's not a saturday night special, it's a 16 inch battleship gun.