New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Last edited by jwhouk; 2019-06-03 at 10:53 AM.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

I wonder if Momo is more thinking, "you had sex? really?" or anything more specific like "who?" or "so, how was it?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

I would expect Momo to be one who wouldn't pry as to the who, but we've been let down on character consistency before.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Unfortunately, this seems like a setup for Momo to be deeply upset that May had sex with someone she was crushing on even though she has absolutely no right to be mad at May for that.

Please prove me wrong Jeph.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Unfortunately, this seems like a setup for Momo to be deeply upset that May had sex with someone she was crushing on even though she has absolutely no right to be mad at May for that.

Please prove me wrong Jeph.
    Especially since said crush hasnt been a factor in the story for god knows how long. We havent seen any sign of her pining over sven in, im pretty sure, years. Possibly both our time and hers.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I'm kinda hoping that it goes the other way - that May tells Momo all the gory details, and Momo has an epiphany! The guy she's crushing on IS into AI's after all! She doesn't need to worry about discrimination, he's all about dat ro-butt!

In short, the story goes from Sven trying to change his ways and be less of a jerk with women, to being actively hounded by AI after AI who all want a piece of him because he's "that guy whose into AI's". It's poetic justice in a way, but also kind of funny.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-05-31 at 12:53 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Or, to subvert all our expectations, Momo had one naughty dream about her friend of a friend Dora's hot brother, barely remembers Sven, and never makes the mental connection when May says the name.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I would expect Momo to be one who wouldn't pry as to the who, but we've been let down on character consistency before.
    Honestly, I'd argue that prying deep into the personal affairs of others and then acting sanctimonious about it is very much in character for Momo. She's got zero to no respect for the personal barriers of others.

9. - Top - End - #9

Hey jwhouk, can you add the archive of all the preceding QC threads to your first post?
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

is it this time of the year again?
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Time to mark this thread..

I'd say Jeph took the opportunity to be a bit lazy today with the background and postures.. Ah, I'd do the same.
    So, serious guesses on where this will lead to?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

12. - Top - End - #12

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    So, serious guesses on where this will lead to?
    I genuinely expect that tomorrow will be an abstract, possibly chibi-esque collage of various cute sounding innuendos as May uses a variety of colourful and sanitised euphemisms to describe her evening. Expect there to be bishops bashed, horris' flogged, highly polished doorknobs and a veritable armoury of pork-swords, spam-daggers and giant salami spears.

I think it's also 50/50 that May even remembers what Sven's name is. If she doesn't remember, it will become apparent some time later on when May/Momo bump into Sven somewhere else and it all comes together; if she does remember, it'll be the last thing she says in a panel which prompts Momo to do another enormous anime "surprised"/outraged face.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-06-03 at 09:30 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Hey jwhouk, can you add the archive of all the preceding QC threads to your first post?
    Will do, lemme just go back to the old one...

EDIT: Done.
    Last edited by jwhouk; 2019-06-03 at 10:54 AM.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

In the previous thread I wrote:

some third person in the comic knows about this hookup within ten comics from now.
    I claim one internet.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Oh no, here comes the drama... Momo, please don't turn your crush into a problem here... Oh who am I kidding.
    "What's done is done."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Did Momo break the website for anyone else with her dramabomb?

17. - Top - End - #17

AssassinGuy

aww, jealous that somebody else got the booty you didn’t chat up?
    * my emphasis

18. - Top - End - #18

RogueGuy

Wait, how long ago did Momo talk about Sven? This had to be at least a few years back out of comic time.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

May: "Well, how the hell was I supposed to recognize him? That was, like, twelve art-shifts ago!"

21. - Top - End - #21

RogueGuy

So 4 years ago. How was anyone going to remember this?
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed, I thought Sven was a tall 12-year-old girl for a few panels outside the bar... there's no way May would have made the connection all those art shifts later.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I find Momo's position questionable.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

The really difficult part to grasp is that, while it was four years ago in real time, we really have no way at all to gauge how long ago it was inside the comic. The length of time one could reasonably expect a friend to honor 'crush exclusivity' is decidedly limited (especially when there are no intervening encounters). This situation plays out very different if its days or a few weeks versus months and we simply do not have the means to answer that.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

25. - Top - End - #25

It's been at least a month.

https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3136

And most likely at least a season, everyone was in winter jackets outside, and haven't in awhile.

In fact if Claire's at college exams. It's probably been at least three. Feb, to May.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

26. - Top - End - #26

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    I find Momo's position questionable.
    yeah, can’t just hog someone forever without ever making a move.
    Or was there another comic I totally forgot about?
    * my emphasis

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Putting aside the question of comic time, I also feel like Momo is pretty unfair here. I guess we'll have to see how May reacts from the initial response I'll guess she won't be a jerk about it.
    "What's done is done."

28. - Top - End - #28

Griffon

Momo is being somewhat disingenuous here - by "we had a conversation about this" what she actually means is that they bumped into Sven for all of 30 seconds, got embarrassed, did not mentioned Sven's name at all and then got angry because May teased her.

May works in a gas station. She sees a hundred strangers for about 30 seconds each every day, and has done since before Faye's hair-growth montage and before Hannelore went travelling for.... weeks? Months? The hell is she supposed to remember one random guy whose name she doesn't know from months ago?

I know, usual caveats - they could have had the conversation off-screen, we don't know what the characters are doing while the comic focuses on someone else, yada yada.... But that is being Telling Not Showing. "By the way, remember this thing? May and Momo talked about this for hours and went into extensive details about it, I just didn't want to draw it" isn't much of a writing device.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I had forgotten that May knew about said crush. I was expecting a hyper-trope-ish 'my friend slept with the guy I had a crush on, and even though she didn't know about it, and I have no claim on him, I'm still upset' plot. So this 'you broke the friend code.' 'what do you mean' 'we talked about him, that's my crush,' 'it is? ****!' plot is at least different from what I expected. But it still isn't the subversion-of-formula I'd hoped for. Also, we already did this when Dora moving on Marten one day after Faye shut him down. I'm not especially displeased, I'd just hoped for more. Momo and May are two of the characters who are more relatable (yes, despite being robots), with flaws and limitations that don't seem to get more grating over time. There are so many more interesting places to go with them.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I had forgotten that May knew about said crush. I was expecting a hyper-trope-ish 'my friend slept with the guy I had a crush on, and even though she didn't know about it, and I have no claim on him, I'm still upset' plot. So this 'you broke the friend code.' 'what do you mean' 'we talked about him, that's my crush,' 'it is? ****!' plot is at least different from what I expected. But it still isn't the subversion-of-formula I'd hoped for. Also, we already did this when Dora moving on Marten one day after Faye shut him down. I'm not especially displeased, I'd just hoped for more. Momo and May are two of the characters who are more relatable (yes, despite being robots), with flaws and limitations that don't seem to get more grating over time. There are so many more interesting places to go with them.
    They did that ALLLLLL the way at the start of the comic, remember the barrista eaten by an allosaur? Yep, very unhappy faye hooked up with her crush marten even though faye had no idea it was the same guy and didnt actually hook up.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."