New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary VIII: insAIne in the mAInfrAIme

I think I tend toward the "they were to rich to need to work, so the author made them broke because the story needs them working" view of the current situation. It's unfortunate, but that seems to be the situation we have.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hey, Schlock might be a little smarter than we expected.

Or, would that be Wisdom? Knowing the words should be there, without knowing the words themselves.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

So is the voice that MiniChinook listens to CrazyChinook? The font seems to indicate so, but it's a little unclear.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    So is the voice that MiniChinook listens to CrazyChinook? The font seems to indicate so, but it's a little unclear.
    IceboxChinook listened to Ennesby. Ran instead of holding still like CrazyChinook wanted. If IceboxChinook listened to CrazyChinook, it would have been blown up.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

5. - Top - End - #335

It's Ennesby - it is unclear, but his speech bubble is connected to run behind the panels of the other two.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

6. - Top - End - #336
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Ennesby is the only familiar voice. IceBox Chinook didn't even recognize the crazy version of her which shows how messed up they are.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

7. - Top - End - #337
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Ah, I see the bubble connector now. Thanks.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Wasn't CrazyChinook saying "stand still"? I think Crazy is trying to wipe out all the remaining "pre-Oafan-Hardware-memory-edit" copies.

I think Enesby was the one telling her to RUN, he was the one who was trying to warn her that her position was compromised, and if anyone would be a familiar voice it would be him. CrazyChinook isn't CrazyTAGII, and the Oafan AI is from post-wakeup.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Hey, Schlock might be a little smarter than we expected.

Or, would that be Wisdom? Knowing the words should be there, without knowing the words themselves.
    Well, he's eaten enough smart people that he might have absorbed some vocabulary .

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Wasn't CrazyChinook saying "stand still"? I think Crazy is trying to wipe out all the remaining "pre-Oafan-Hardware-memory-edit" copies.
    And for good reason; the Oafans could use those to force the outcome they wanted. Crazy wants to be destroyed or freed. Crazy knows they won't free, and the Oafans took care not to destroy, and instead went for capture. That leaves option 3 ... using a backup to force a recovery.

Which is what Ennesby is trying for. The, erm, 'legal guardians' in Crazy's case are the Toughs. Kind of like when a mental patient refuses to comply with treatment. It's a whole lot easier when a legal guardian allows a doctor to treat against the patient's wishes...

11. - Top - End - #341

I think the legal guardian is the still sane copy it could be considered next of kin.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    I think the legal guardian is the still sane copy it could be considered next of kin.
    Putzho has it as Ennesby and the Toughs.

And technically, the sane copy IS Chinook. Just ... a younger, not-insane version. I don't think next-of-kin covers 'same person, different personality'.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

If the Oafans have CrazyChinook contained, then are these current messages and long-gun shots coming from remote copies that were overwritten during updates before CrazyChinook was contained?

Also, I wonder if "icebox" Chinooks can't be overwritten, just updated with new data -- and if that's why CrazyChinook(s) are trying to destroy them.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2018-10-08 at 10:55 AM. Reason: edit-o
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Putzho has it as Ennesby and the Toughs.

And technically, the sane copy IS Chinook. Just ... a younger, not-insane version. I don't think next-of-kin covers 'same person, different personality'.
    Hard to say what the intervening legal opinions will be, once that becomes possible.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

If the Oafans have CrazyChinook contained, then are current these messages and long-gun shots coming from remote copies that were overwritten during updates before CrazyChinook was contained?
    Yep. Chinook sent out a bunch of long guns and spotters.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Hard to say what the intervening legal opinions will be, once that becomes possible.
    Okay, which legal body would have jurisdiction over the Oafans?

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Okay, which legal body would have jurisdiction over the Oafans?
    The Oafans appear to be working under a rule of the gun system, but we are discussing the term 'next of kin' in the first place, which means they are sticking with some kind of legal framework. It appears that there is some galaxy-wide body of legal work that conveniently maps to our 'Earthian' legal system. Given that we currently don't have any precedent-setting situations where someone could be 'same person, different personality' (I guess written medical directives for what to do when a person later is without autonomy), it is an untested legal domain here now in real life.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

but we are discussing the term 'next of kin' in the first place, which means they are sticking with some kind of legal framework.
    Their own? They ARE a society with a lot of AI, which probably gives them 'personhood' rather than a possession.

It appears that there is some galaxy-wide body of legal work that conveniently maps to our 'Earthian' legal system.
    Not necessarily; see above. And your scenario would require something we haven't been shown; the Oafans going to that legal body and agreeing to be a signatory and acceding to the jurisdiction of said legal system.

The only method to enforce said laws on a non-signatory is by force of arms...

Oh, and ... how did they ask the UNS for their ship back? Not a legal appeal ... 'hey, look, you're completely outnumbered here'.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2018-10-08 at 12:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Oh, and ... how did they ask the UNS for their ship back? Not a legal appeal ... 'hey, look, you're completely outnumbered here'.
    Yes, we got it. Everyone is well aware that they are using rule of extensive military might. It's been all we've discussed for the past 2-3 weeks. I even alluded to it. I don't know why that's relevant to the current discussion.

My point is they are asking for decisions made by Chinook's "next of kin," which is an Earthian legal concept, or one that maps to a legal framework conveniently similar to ours. Our own (IRL) framework, however, does not have an established precedent for 'same person, different personality,' since we don't have anything like that.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

To be fair Putzho was the one to mention next of kin. The Oafans never said anything about it.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground

Also, I wonder if "icebox" Chinooks can't be overwritten, just updated with new data -- and if that's why CrazyChinook(s) are trying to destroy them.
    It might be. It might alsop that they can but only if they accept to synchronize long enough. (which they afre unlikely to do as not only there's two other voices telling her not to but also because apparently crazy chinnok doesn't register as a 'familiar voice'). So crazy chinook is not taking any chance and jsut wipping them out. (And I think the the reasont she's doing that are wiping them out is that because they seem to be in oafan warships hulls , making them long guns wich she doesn't recognize at being part of 'her' anymore.)
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2018-10-09 at 02:34 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    To be fair Putzho was the one to mention next of kin. The Oafans never said anything about it.
    And the comic right after I make this post counters it. I guess "next of kin" is an oafan custom for similar reasons as to why it is a human custom.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

And the ancient Oafans provide yet more reasons to dislike them. I didn't think that was possible.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, we got it. Everyone is well aware that they are using rule of extensive military might. It's been all we've discussed for the past 2-3 weeks. I even alluded to it. I don't know why that's relevant to the current discussion.

My point is they are asking for decisions made by Chinook's "next of kin," which is an Earthian legal concept, or one that maps to a legal framework conveniently similar to ours. Our own (IRL) framework, however, does not have an established precedent for 'same person, different personality,' since we don't have anything like that.
    there are people who suffer from degenerative (mental) diseases who try to dictate what happens to their future selves after they can no longer make legal decisions. The Law doesn't respect those wishes usually though.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    there are people who suffer from degenerative (mental) diseases who try to dictate what happens to their future selves after they can no longer make legal decisions. The Law doesn't respect those wishes usually though.
    You mean like I mentioned here?:

I guess written medical directives for what to do when a person later is without autonomy

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

Speaking of Oafeans, debt, and motivation... does anyone remember reading this strip before?
    https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2018-07-22

Somehow I completely missed it on my original daily new-comic reading and it provides most of the abridging context between the introduction to the ancient Oafan and the introduction of their debt collector fleet. How Chinnook was contained, why there are lots of Chinnook fragments still running around shooting stuff, why Putzho now has a new font, etc.

Just curious if I'm the only one who missed it or if the server was down that day.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Don't mind at all to see the old Ofan's get shown they aren't as smart as they think they are.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Don't mind at all to see the old Ofan's get shown they aren't as smart as they think they are.
    That's not a factor of intelligence, IMO.

They're erring on the side of caution. They were only wakened post-crazy. They have no frame of reference of the original Chinook's behavior. So they're going to do the 'contain things NOW' approach.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Chinook is back, too.

I don't think the awakened Oafans quite yet grasp that they're dealing with a small group of AI and AI-like entities that range from brilliant to off-the-scale in terms of smarts, and for most of them a long history of working together.

(Ennesby, Chinook, Petey, Cindy, and now Putzho, and I think I'm forgetting one.)
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2018-10-12 at 09:01 AM.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

(Ennesby, Chinook, Petey, Cindy, and now Putzho, and I think I'm forgetting one.)
    LOTA is still out there.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Firbolg in the Playground

LOTA is still out there.
    LOTA is too impressive for your puny collaboration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.