New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary VIII: insAIne in the mAInfrAIme

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Ennesby, Chinook, Petey, Cindy, and now Putzho, and I think I'm forgetting one.
    Lunesby, for a second, and there are certainly more, all of the battleplates have AI of that level.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2018-10-12 at 02:20 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    That's not a factor of intelligence, IMO.

They're erring on the side of caution. They were only wakened post-crazy. They have no frame of reference of the original Chinook's behavior. So they're going to do the 'contain things NOW' approach.
    Well, Ennesby figured out that the Chinook copy may be targeted and warned her when the Ofan was taking about surrendering even AFTER one copy had already been killed and they should have known that this copy would be targeted as well. That's not a very smart thinking.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

3. - Top - End - #363
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Well, Ennesby figured out that the Chinook copy may be targeted and warned her when the Ofan was taking about surrendering even AFTER one copy had already been killed and they should have known that this copy would be targeted as well. That's not a very smart thinking.
    They wanted her to come to them quickly; leave out the stuff that would cause panic, which is what they castigated Ennesby for. No questions asked, just come quick.

That's not a lack of intelligence; it's a lack of wisdom and charisma. Wisdom knowing when to get someone running, charisma to get them to come to you when it's all done.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    (Ennesby, Chinook, Petey, Cindy, and now Putzho, and I think I'm forgetting one.)
    Haban, Lota, Lunesby, Tailor, the Hive, several Ventura projects. The All-Star is also out there as a big unknown.

The question is which of these AI count as super geniuses acc. to your definition.

Ennesby, Taylor, Cindy, the Hive nodes etc. are small fishes. Lota, Haban, Chinook are players of more importance. I can't exactly place the Combined Old Oafans, but I still think Petey outranks them in the sectors of energy/production power/political clout/thinkpower. While the All-Star is supreme in its thinkpower, they could split off Putzho as some sort of scout without losing anything - and Putzho seems to be smarter than the Oafan-mind and on a level with Petey.

Oh well. The meat-sophonts are only still in the story because we readers can relate to them. The real plot is AI only. Let's see if HT will turn that around (He has done that before).

5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground

Petey seems to need Kevyn pretty urgently, I'm gathering.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Strange that he's not making more use of the one he already has.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Strange that he's not making more use of the one he already has.
    I think this Kevyn might be needed for "keeping Elf from figuring out how to go on a rampage" duty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I think this Kevyn might be needed for "keeping Elf from figuring out how to go on a rampage" duty.
    While the reason might be Elf, I don't think it's to stop her from going on a rampage. Elf seems more depressed than anything.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Elf on a rampage would be trivial, she destroyed one (two?) small ship (s?) without killing all the crew.

Kevyn is probably needed to target tha Andromedan long gun. So why is the Kevyn Petey already has not elbows deep in that? Or a couple of dozen Gavs? The Gavs aren't quite Kevyns, but there are enough of them to make up the difference.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2018-10-15 at 11:07 AM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Petey said that the reason for accelerating his revival was that he was important but that Kevyn's ego would deflate when he was put to work.

11. - Top - End - #371

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Elf on a rampage would be trivial, she destroyed one (two?) small ship (s?) without killing all the crew.

Kevyn is probably needed to target tha Andromedan long gun. So why is the Kevyn Petey already has not elbows deep in that? Or a couple of dozen Gavs? The Gavs aren't quite Kevyns, but there are enough of them to make up the difference.
    You know one problem with a genius still mattering and having the tech to rebuild bodies: Why not just build an army of him? I guess he might not like that though.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Kinda like ninja's I think. One is all powerful, but a bunch of them are canon fodder. (Inverse ninja law)

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    You know one problem with a genius still mattering and having the tech to rebuild bodies: Why not just build an army of him? I guess he might not like that though.
    Despite Petey being a pretty big situational-ethics and utilitarian kind of guy (to the point where some of us wondered if he'd end up being a villain in the end), Petey has occasionally shown signs of sometimes being that guy who would risk losing a war to ensure that he didn't win it by violating his own ethics. Maybe he's decided that Kevyn didn't want to be Gavved (yes, I have decided that's the verb for getting massively multiple copies of yourself made), and that's final.

14. - Top - End - #374

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Despite Petey being a pretty big situational-ethics and utilitarian kind of guy (to the point where some of us wondered if he'd end up being a villain in the end), Petey has occasionally shown signs of sometimes being that guy who would risk losing a war to ensure that he didn't win it by violating his own ethics. Maybe he's decided that Kevyn didn't want to be Gavved (yes, I have decided that's the verb for getting massively multiple copies of yourself made), and that's final.
    I am fairly certain that the only effective way to Gav someone is to do it like Gav.

As to why he doesn't just make an army of Kevyns, I can assume that it has to do with this Kevyn being married to Elf. I foresee problems if you tried to make an army of Kevyns and not an army of Elfs, and even more problems if you tried to make an army of Elfs to go with it.

And the ethics of cloning people without their consent. I assume that that is involved.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

15. - Top - End - #375

Already has an unmarried version at hand though. I am not sure whether he would actually refuse hard to tell how people react to the concept of getting mass cloned.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Already has an unmarried version at hand though. I am not sure whether he would actually refuse hard to tell how people react to the concept of getting mass cloned.
    Well the Gavs hated it enough that they were willing to completely and randomly rewrite their D.N.A. and memories with experimental nanite technology. Which didn't go well for them.

17. - Top - End - #377

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Well the Gavs hated it enough that they were willing to completely and randomly rewrite their D.N.A. and memories with experimental nanite technology. Which didn't go well for them.
    Some of the Gavs did that. I think Gavs are still the largest single species in the galaxy, even after years of attrition.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Do we know how many wives/husbands keep a secret clone in the other apartment?

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Some of the Gavs did that. I think Gavs are still the largest single species in the galaxy, even after years of attrition.
    Does the fact that it wasn't all Gavs really detract from my point?

Also, given that they are all copies and the fact that they are all likely to make the same decisions is why the process had to be randomized, how much of that is due to a lack of opportunity rather than a lack of desire? They could only change so many at a time, other Gavs had duties in other places in the galaxy, and the whole operation didn't last that long before it was revealed to have been hacked.

After said hacking I am pretty sure 0% of Gavs wanted to risk a similar operation.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2018-10-16 at 01:31 AM.

20. - Top - End - #380

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Does the fact that it wasn't all Gavs really detract from my point?

Also, given that they are all copies and the fact that they are all likely to make the same decisions is why the process had to be randomized, how much of that is due to a lack of opportunity rather than a lack of desire? They could only change so many at a time, other Gavs had duties in other places in the galaxy, and the whole operation didn't last that long before it was revealed to have been hacked.

After said hacking I am pretty sure 0% of Gavs wanted to risk a similar operation.
    One of the Gavs came out and said "I think you lot are crazy" before the hacking came to light.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

950 million isn't even the biggest species of humans now. He's the largest single demographic, or something like that.

Can't do an archive trawl right now, but Kevyn stated (before he got a time clone) that he was glad he didn't do what Gav did because one of him was enough.

22. - Top - End - #382

BlackDragon

Maybe he's decided that Kevyn didn't want to be Gavved (yes, I have decided that's the verb for getting massively multiple copies of yourself made), and that's final.
    Can't do an archive trawl right now, but Kevyn stated (before he got a time clone) that he was glad he didn't do what Gav did because one of him was enough.
    Exactly. Kevyn decided he did not want to be Gav'd. Petey is honoring that decision.

Petey does honor free will. He just helps you to make the right choice -- see Vog, etc.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    He's desperate. Schlock AIs may be excellent at evaluating known risks, known possible solutions, and then running simulations on all probabilistic variables for those risks/solutions, but they haven't proven any better than the meat-sofants when it comes to lateral thinking, leaping to unsupported but correct conclusions, or innovation.

Kevyn has a proven ability to think around implied paradoxes, past convincing coincidences, and otherwise find Galaxy/Sanity saving solutions. Unfortunately the time clone also got stuck after recognizing the problem so Petey's now gambling on the differentiated baseline finding the next step to solving the current existential crisis.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

24. - Top - End - #384

Quote Originally Posted by Psionic Dog View Post
    He's desperate. Schlock AIs may be excellent at evaluating known risks, known possible solutions, and then running simulations on all probabilistic variables for those risks/solutions, but they haven't proven any better than the meat-sofants when it comes to lateral thinking, leaping to unsupported but correct conclusions, or innovation.

Kevyn has a proven ability to think around implied paradoxes, past convincing coincidences, and otherwise find Galaxy/Sanity saving solutions. Unfortunately the time clone also got stuck after recognizing the problem so Petey's now gambling on the differentiated baseline finding the next step to solving the current existential crisis.
    Alternatively, the genius they need to solve this problem is Eleanor Foxworthy. Elf has a proven ability to think on her feet, especially when technology intersects with warfare.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Alternatively, the genius they need to solve this problem is Eleanor Foxworthy. Elf has a proven ability to think on her feet, especially when technology intersects with warfare.
    That seems like Howard's style. Kevyn thinks he's been decanted for his brain, when all Petey actually needed was to get El out of her funk.

26. - Top - End - #386

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    That seems like Howard's style. Kevyn thinks he's been decanted for his brain, when all Petey actually needed was to get El out of her funk.
    Which will thoroughly deflate his ego!
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

27. - Top - End - #387

Wait a moment, I thought that spinning the individual spindle cities around like that was the solution to an engineering problem which couldn't be solved with a single rotation frame. I thought it was quite an interesting move away from the "self-gravitating space stations are best if they are rotating wheels".

The look that old Kevyn (who KNOWS about wheel stations as well as Petey does) gives our female new face (do we have a name yet?), indicates that he hasn't even thought about a wheel city.
    Well, if that's what he is going to design, he should go for a large wheel structure first, consisting of several gigantic wheels that all go around the same axis. To hide it better, it should be surrounded with a sturdy frame, resulting in a cylindrical structure. Then, he can fill this cylinder with athmosphere, so that the inhabitants lose the "space station" feel and can live like on a big planet.

For optimal durability, this proposed megastructure should of course be built completely out of PTUs.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    Wait a moment, I thought that spinning the individual spindle cities around like that was the solution to an engineering problem which couldn't be solved with a single rotation frame. I thought it was quite an interesting move away from the "self-gravitating space stations are best if they are rotating wheels".

The look that old Kevyn (who KNOWS about wheel stations as well as Petey does) gives our female new face (do we have a name yet?), indicates that he hasn't even thought about a wheel city.
    Well, if that's what he is going to design, he should go for a large wheel structure first, consisting of several gigantic wheels that all go around the same axis. To hide it better, it should be surrounded with a sturdy frame, resulting in a cylindrical structure. Then, he can fill this cylinder with athmosphere, so that the inhabitants lose the "space station" feel and can live like on a big planet.

For optimal durability, this proposed megastructure should of course be built completely out of PTUs.
    So basically a can in space, filled with sky...?

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

With artificial gravity wheel space station are so outdated they're brilliant new ideas again.

There material costs: how much scaffolding to hold out a livable outer ring versus the engine + string? I guess a lot more.
    Maneuverability: the wheel could accelerate on its side but the internal orientation needs to change each time.

One big possible advantage: no risk of the string tangling up on itself or on other bodies.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Wayson View Post
    So basically a can in space, filled with sky...?
    Or 'our last best hope for peace,' take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    With artificial gravity wheel space station are so outdated they're brilliant new ideas again.

There material costs: how much scaffolding to hold out a livable outer ring versus the engine + string? I guess a lot more.
    Maneuverability: the wheel could accelerate on its side but the internal orientation needs to change each time.

One big possible advantage: no risk of the string tangling up on itself or on other bodies.
    The primary advantage (other than having different gravities at different levels, which can be an advantage onto itself) is compactness. Rings, Tubes, Spheres, what-have-you, they all maximize the surface area of the thing, giving all sorts of opportunities for breaches and the like. I suppose since long-guns are the new threat of the era, and all successful attacks seem to be total-destruction, that's less of an issue.