New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary VIII: insAIne in the mAInfrAIme

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    He's somewhere where he can hack the simulation to create flying castles and dragons, why would he want to leave? Imagine he's in the equivalent of the Matrix, only he can reprogram it on the fly to do what he wants.
    I'm unconvinced. The Toughs didn't retire from the mercenary business back when they were basically richer than god, why would wait until he was coming back from the dead to decide he wanted to spend his time in a virtual sandbox/wish-fulfillment engine?

2. - Top - End - #452
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I'm unconvinced. The Toughs didn't retire from the mercenary business back when they were basically richer than god, why would wait until he was coming back from the dead to decide he wanted to spend his time in a virtual sandbox/wish-fulfillment engine?
    Because he didn't know the virtual sandbox/wish-fulfilment engine existed back then. (Mainly because it didn't).

3. - Top - End - #453
    Troll in the Playground

Because he didn't know the virtual sandbox/wish-fulfilment engine existed back then. (Mainly because it didn't).
    It might also be that he doesn't want to properly retire, so him angling for his current job would allow him to both be useful, and get to stay in the matrix.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    It might also be that he doesn't want to properly retire, so him angling for his current job would allow him to both be useful, and get to stay in the matrix.
    This. In a world were there is no death, there is also no retirement. The sooner you find a job you'll be happy to do for extended periods of time, the better. Thurl has found a job he is perfectly willing to do, and thus is applying for it.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #455

BlackDragon

Why is it that Howard so often produces strips where you stop and think, "Hold on, did I miss one?". You would have thought that Chinook destroying one of her corrupted selves would be important to show on-panel, but apparently Mr. Tayler disagrees.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Why is it that Howard so often produces strips where you stop and think, "Hold on, did I miss one?". You would have thought that Chinook destroying one of her corrupted selves would be important to show on-panel, but apparently Mr. Tayler disagrees.
    At least we see immediate aftermath of it on-screen, with the characters involved telling us about what they did, as opposed to third person, so it's not the worst. Still, it's often been his habit to skip over showing the AI-vs-AI stuff directly -- see when Enesby and Tagii had their negotiation with the broken AI in the can of sky.

I really love Howard's work, but I get the feeling that he has set a deadline for himself to move on to the next iteration of things, and there's stuff he wants to skip over.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Let's see:

* He's learned how about how many pages a book can reasonably have.
    * He's learned about how many comics will fit into those many pages, including his annotations.
    * He's learned about how many comics needs to give as a buffer for things that he forgot about (such as needing to insert a week to fix an error while keeping the weekend pacing's correct).
    * He's learned to plot out the pacings and beats of his story.
    * He scripts his dialogue at least a week in advance, sometimes more.
    * He knows approximately how many comics he has to tell what part of the story, and he knows about how much dialogue he can get in in that many comics.
    * Therefore, he knows about how much, and where, he needs to skip.
    * The only question left, is what does he decide to cut out.

It would appear that he has decided to leave in as much of the dialogue between the existing characters as possible, and cut out the unimportant new characters.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Hey someone finally willing to challenge the oofans on their 'I want all my stuff back and you had no right to take it in the first place' shtick. I'm not holding my breath that it be given a reasonable handling but this is the best we've gotten in basically 2-3 months of strips?

9. - Top - End - #459

BlackDragon

So Putzho has the power to assign the UNS ambassador now? What the heck is going on?

10. - Top - End - #460
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Putzho is just informing Sorlie of her new job. I think a number of different people "suggested" her for the job.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

11. - Top - End - #461

So Putzho has the power to assign the UNS ambassador now? What the heck is going on?
    Putzho is just the messenger here, because he got there faster than the paperwork.

Either, the embassy inside the UNS battletetraeder was destroyed (in which case I either missed an update; or Howard chose to tell not show), and Sorlie is the highest-ranking survivor with knowledge of recent procedures with the Oafans.
    Or, Bala-Amin has risen to a higher position, maybe to work directly under Breya.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

It seems most likely that Bala-Amin got moved to a different position. I wonder if a certain very large resurrected Ofan might have had a few good words to say about Sorlie that helped her get the position. Now the real question is why is Sorlie and co on the Breath Weapon to start with. There is more going on than we know yet.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

13. - Top - End - #463
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    It seems most likely that Bala-Amin got moved to a different position. I wonder if a certain very large resurrected Ofan might have had a few good words to say about Sorlie that helped her get the position. Now the real question is why is Sorlie and co on the Breath Weapon to start with. There is more going on than we know yet.
    "And Co" is on Breath Weapon because Sorlie is, so the real question is why is Sorlie on Breath Weapon.

14. - Top - End - #464

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    "And Co" is on Breath Weapon because Sorlie is, so the real question is why is Sorlie on Breath Weapon.
    Breath Weapon carried the embassy out of the can of sky. I think they will have to bring it back now.
    If Breya was involved this directly, I think that Bala-amin may have taken command of Chu's flagplate following a complaint we haven't been shown either.

15. - Top - End - #465

BlackDragon

OK, this is weird--how did the Putzho hologram hand a real porta-tablet thing to Sorlie?

16. - Top - End - #466
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

He just uploaded the file/orders to the one she had.

17. - Top - End - #467

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    He just uploaded the file/orders to the one she had.
    She isn't holding one in yesterday's strip, though.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

This is kinda off topic, but the definition of Flanderisation in the movie review below this comic is mistaken or a second meaning for a previously existing word, and I don't know where else to mention that.

The word Flanderisation originally came from the works of Flanders and Swann:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanders_and_Swann

Ned Flanders was almost certainly named after Michael Flanders and Donald Swann.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

19. - Top - End - #469

BlackDragon

OK, this is weird--how did the Putzho hologram hand a real porta-tablet thing to Sorlie?
    Funny you should ask that.
    Here's the discussion on the main Schlock forum
    http://zoo.nightstar.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21263
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    This is kinda off topic, but the definition of Flanderisation in the movie review below this comic is mistaken or a second meaning for a previously existing word, and I don't know where else to mention that.

The word Flanderisation originally came from the works of Flanders and Swann:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanders_and_Swann

Ned Flanders was almost certainly named after Michael Flanders and Donald Swann.
    While the Flanders and Swann is a likely name-inspiration for the Simpsons character Flanders, the term Flanderisation has a clear derivation from the Simpsons character. I don't see any reference in this Wikipedia article to Flanderisation is reference to Flanders and Swann. What does the term mean in this context?

21. - Top - End - #471
    Orc in the Playground

While the Flanders and Swann is a likely name-inspiration for the Simpsons character Flanders, the term Flanderisation has a clear derivation from the Simpsons character. I don't see any reference in this Wikipedia article to Flanderisation is reference to Flanders and Swann. What does the term mean in this context?
    Just to spare you a TVTropes dive (from which no one emerges unscathed), Tayler's defined it as an established character being increasingly identified only by his or her quirks: In Flanders' case, he slowly changed from the better-off neighbor and object of Homer's jealousy to almost exclusively an ultra-religious straw man. It's kind of the inverse of character development.

(edit - Duh, I'm an idiot. I misread the intent of this quote and have no satisfactory answer to it.)
    Last edited by TaRix; 2018-11-21 at 12:28 PM.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

That would be taking some thing fairly sane, and making something silly of it. Maybe it got so swamped in the Simpsons, it's lost now. My memory is vague at the moment, but I'm pretty sure there was Flanderisation before the Simpsons. I do hate the way history keeps on changing.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

That would be taking some thing fairly sane, and making something silly of it. Maybe it got so swamped in the Simpsons, it's lost now. My memory is vague at the moment, but I'm pretty sure there was Flanderisation before the Simpsons. I do hate the way history keeps on changing.
    Flanderization certainly occurred before the Simpsons.

Assigning that name to the phenomenon almost certainly arises from the Simpsons character -- I'm not finding anything in pages about the songwriting/comedy duo that indicates they had characters who become more 1-dimentionsional and exaggerated over time.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

My memory is vague at the moment, but I'm pretty sure there was Flanderisation before the Simpsons. I do hate the way history keeps on changing.
    Of course there was. There was also bowdlerization before Bowlder, quislings before Quisling, and quixotic behavior before the writing of Don Quixote. There's no history changing involved; there's just somewhat amorphous concepts that formerly got described at length getting names after people have either embodied or depicted them extremely well.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

25. - Top - End - #475

I think Halfeye means there was the word flanderisation and it meant something different not that the current definition happened before.

26. - Top - End - #476

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    I think Halfeye means there was the word flanderisation and it meant something different not that the current definition happened before.
    You mean flanderisation has been flanderized?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Quite so. I could be mistaken, that's also possible.

28. - Top - End - #478

Though really if there was such a word from that duo it would have been less than 100 years old so it would have just been a case of a word without enough staying power to become permanent that happened to be the same word as a later more successful term.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

The old Oafans are proving remarkably adept at not quite getting it...

30. - Top - End - #480
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    The old Oafans are proving remarkably adept at not quite getting it...
    In this case, I think they have a fairly good grasp on just how crazy Chinook is. She is, after all, so crazy that she has come back from the other side twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.