New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Mallside 10

1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Mallside 10

[Coyhouse]

Lara has picked up some interesting reaction times from somewhere, jerking forward almost the moment the dust approaches Latrans' mouth. It wasn't an immediate conscious movement, just a trained action from a lost memory.

Yet, still too slow.

A brief flicker of monstrous rage and sickened despair fight on her face, before carefully forced neutrality takes the field.
    "Relax... Still have options. Always have options. Relax."
    She mutters to herself while her gaze sweeps the room.

Something simple to test on. A small stool? A statuette?
    Something she can take a handful of dust to blow on, so she can find out if it was the powder being magical or the coyote man.

Hopefully the former.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Definitely a Cave

Come now, don't be so modest! Now let's get going. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a shiny black card.We should stop at the White Buffalo shop first.

Coyhouse

The hut is fairly bare, but there's an assortment of pots and pans around, some clothing, a stack of firewood, and other accouterments one would expect in a living area.
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2018-07-22 at 09:02 PM.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

[Definitely a Cave]

Kray gapes at the credit card.
    "Wait, what? You're taking me shopping? Why? If this is your idea of a date, asking works better than kidnapping." she assures the strange hairy pretty-boy, looking at him closely with suspicious eyes.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Coyhouse]

Wood... That'll do. It's a product of life, which sometimes matters with these things.
    Where does she remember that from?

Lara shovels more innane worries to the back of her mind and does what she can to imitate Latrans' action, only blowing on the stack of wood instead of Kray, holding thoughts of the new friend center in her mind.
    Sometimes this, too, matters.
    Absentee Spirit

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Definitely a Cave

As far as I see, a pretty lady like you is going to have to learn how to be one if she wants to get anywhere. Now, you coming?

Coyhouse

As Lara does that, Latrans appears directly in front of the woodpile in a puff of flour, dusting it off his pants, grinning, and holding a hand out to her.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Definitely a Cave

Kray sputters.
    ”And you expect to teach me by kidnapping me and taking me to a store? I don’t trust random fairies, even polite ones. Maybe especially not polite ones.” Kray exclaims, making sure she knows that her gun is still there. It is. She wouldn’t dream of drawing it now. Who knows what he’d do if she did. But its presence is comforting.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Coyhouse]

Well that wasn't the expected result at all.

Lara frowns and takes a step back, instead of accepting the hand.
    "I would hope you're offering some explanation, before expecting anything from me..."
    Absentee Spirit

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Food Court]

"I go where people ask me to, mostly, so it really depends of there's trouble, right." Kitsuki explains. Apparently there's not much need for ghost busting at this place. then again, it's not like she and Obriane are widely known... "But maybe someday we might get a job there. Spirits have a habit of making trouble before long." She smiles at a private joke.
    "Oh? Sounds like experience is talking there." Alva replied, a little curiosity in her tone. Only just a little, though. It could be responded to or passed by without incident. Of course, that same curiosity was also currently the reason why she was suddenly looking around as something had just registered to her ears. Sure, this place was noisy but some things were easier to catch than others.. In particular, the noise from a store dedicated to a surprisingly eclectic collection of video sets, view-screens, and comparatively mundane televisions had caught her ears with constant mentions of the city of Riverside. If she weren't disguised right now, she'd have at least one ear pointed in that store's direction but for now she was settling with pushing off her uneasy feelings and giving Kitsuki her attention.
    Last edited by Terumitsu; 2018-08-02 at 10:41 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Definitely a Cave

Kray sputters.
    ”And you expect to teach me by kidnapping me and taking me to a store? I don’t trust random fairies, even polite ones. Maybe especially not polite ones.” Kray exclaims, making sure she knows that her gun is still there. It is. She wouldn’t dream of drawing it now. Who knows what he’d do if she did. But its presence is comforting.
    I wouldn't exactly call myself a fairy. Unless you're talking about my preferences, in which case - only sometimes. the man states with a wry smile. But in this case it might help what's ailing you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Bob View Post
    [Coyhouse]

Well that wasn't the expected result at all.

Lara frowns and takes a step back, instead of accepting the hand.
    "I would hope you're offering some explanation, before expecting anything from me..."
    Oh, but explanations are boring! the man grins wickedly. But I can promise you that your friend won't come to any harm from me.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

[Definitely a Cave]

Kray blinks. Huh. Well. That was a factoid she hadn’t expected to be dropped but moving on...
    ”If I could look like my real self from visiting a store I assure you I’d already be me again. Unless you know some crazy places I don’t.” she insists.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terumitsu View Post
    "Oh? Sounds like experience is talking there." Alva replied, a little curiosity in her tone. Only just a little, though. It could be responded to or passed by without incident. Of course, that same curiosity was also currently the reason why she was suddenly looking around as something had just registered to her ears. Sure, this place was noisy but some things were easier to catch than others.. In particular, the noise from a store dedicated to a surprisingly eclectic collection of video sets, view-screens, and comparatively mundane televisions had caught her ears with constant mentions of the city of Riverside. If she weren't disguised right now, she'd have at least one ear pointed in that store's direction but for now she was settling with pushing off her uneasy feelings and giving Kitsuki her attention.
    [Food Court]

"Well, the rules aren't all the same around here, but certain spirits have something they want above all else. When it comes to the ones you see, they'll pursue that thing to the point where it can interfere with people." Kitsuki explains. She doesn't have a technical understanding of this stuff, but she's had enough experiences to basically have a wrap on it. "The powerful ones can be pretty disruptive about it. Most of my job is separating them from people one way or another."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Coyhouse]

"I find it difficult to trust promises from mysterious powers. I've been on the bad side of loop holes before."
    Quite a few of them.

Lara takes a couple steps further back around the table, frowning rather unhappily.
    "I'm okay with boring. Explanations would be very appreciated."
    Absentee Spirit

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Definitely a Cave

Oh, but see, it's the whole experience. And a bit of magic. This place isn't exactly what you'd call "normal stores," you know.

Coyhouse

Very well. I sent your friend off on a trip that should help with their, well, problem. Think of it as an extended therapy session. He smiles lightly. Now your problem, of course...you've got a bit of a mess caged up, haven't you?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

[Definitely a Cave]

Kray huffs, arms crossed. But she eyes the man.
    ”Oh, fine. I don’t have much of a choice, anyway. But I want there to be truth between us. None of the secret junk I dealt with last time. Alright?” she holds out a hand.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Halfling in the Playground

[An Oddly Quiet Food Hall - Closed Scene]

Professor Affidavit is sitting at a table in the food hall, reading a newspaper, a faint whisp of steam coming off a cup of coffee in front of him, there for appearance rather than to be consumed. He is, after all, just a hologram. While he technically could "drink" the coffee, it'd just be sitting somewhere inside his body until he decided to, uh, get rid of it.

Aside from him, there's a distinct lack of other people within the food hall. There's a few people, but they're seated about as far away from him as they possibly can. It's all very quiet, very calm, very...suspicious.

It took quite a while to set it all up, but Affy has gone to considerable lengths to subtly redirect people away from the area and away from him in particular. Now he's just sitting there, waiting for Shazhan. Hopefully this low-level mass mental manipulation is a reasonably impressive trick as an opener.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Coyhouse]

Ugh. Faeries. Faerie friends. Whatever he is.
    Always somehow knowing what they shouldn't reasonably know and abusing said privilege.

'Lara's frown slowly ascends into a practiced neutrality, the better to desperately restrain an upsurge in terror and bloody rage.
    "I see. You're meddling for...what reason? If it was just the kindness of your heart I don't think this is the way to do it."
    Absentee Spirit

17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground

[An Oddly Quiet Food Hall - Closed Scene]

The figure who approaches the table is clad in a travel-worn cloak with a hood pulled over their head. Beneath where one might expect clothing is only black bandages from which a faint red glow can be seen escaping through the gaps. The only ornaments the figure carries are the two golden ornate bracers it wears.

The figure makes a bow once it stands before the table. "I apologize for my disheveled appearance, but I came across some unexpected difficulties."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Definitely a Cave

Coyote smiles and says I will try, at least. I promise you if nothing else there's no harmful magic in any of these shops, nor any you would disapprove of.

Coyhouse

The man actually takes a step back. Some things, helpful or not, only work if the true nature is not revealed. This is one of them. Your friend's enchantment can be cured, but the cure is unlikely to work if they are aware of what is going on.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Definitely a Cave

Kray looks away, letting her hand drop.
    ”Oh, fine. But you better be buying. Show me whatever it is you want me to see.” she mutters.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Into the desert!

Coyote leads Kray outside to a fully restored Ford Thunderbird, grabbing a beaded suede shirt from across the seat as he does so and shrugging it on. He lowers the hood and motions for Kray to get in, then takes off towards the town.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Into the Desert

”Well, it’s a little small, but it’s a nice ride.” says the minotaur, still feeling a bit irritable.
    She gets in without too much trouble though, laying back in the seat. Rassa’s form is much smaller than Krayger was originally.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Into the Desert!

As soon as Kray is in, Coyote takes off into the desert, quickly pulling onto a highway and into a town...

23. - Top - End - #53

Neon Coliseum

There are some truly immersive game experiences here in the coliseum. Some have you put on a headset that displays the game, others will take place in a small chamber for a full immersion VR experience, and still others are able to beam the experience straight into your nervous system.

And yet, despite all the available options, Cassidy is inserting a coin into an old, isolated Space Harrier machine, after her last run only went for 2 million points. "Damn rock swarm, I'll get you this time..."

24. - Top - End - #54

MagMart - Closed Scene

Our cyborg steps into the storefront, determined to squeeze every last cent out of his own tarnished legacy. He had already looted pretty much everything worth grabbing from the standalone store in Inside; now it was time for Mallside's MagMart to get the same treatment. He reaches for the CLOSED sign instinctively, nearly flipping it to OPEN before he catches himself, as if it were just another day of business and shoppers and tricking all those fantasy worlders into spending their gold here so he could exchange it elsewhere at a massive profit.

"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste. I've been around for a long, long year, stole many a man's soul and faith," the cyborg sings along, as the Mall's background music system plays a certain Rolling Stones classic. A man of wealth and taste, hah. I can still remember when people could still say that about us, Magtok. Well, maybe not the taste part, but definitely the wealth. There were probably more than a few people who might've compared us to the devil, too. They weren't wrong to do so, either.

Enough of that nonsense and nostalgia, though. We have things to do, merchandise to sort through. The Magtok plushies are worthless, but we might still be able to make use of all the canned food. We'll definitely need another shaving kit, since Needs accidentally broke the last razor, and you could certainly use some more WD-40 and chrome polish. We'll need a lot of bleach to deal with the horrible fungus and molds and such growing in the MagCave, and maybe a few mop buckets and sponges and flamethrowers, too. Needs asked him to get a few of these orange candles for an important ritual before the winter solstice, and these gray business suits look decent enough when paired with a purple tie, right? We won't have to worry about looking hideous or unMagtoklike when these robes get all worn out and gross, which is becoming more and more inevitable with every passing day of continuous wear and tear. The other MagClone should've let us bring at least five sets of robes with us, not just two. Ugh, thank gods the nearby gym has showers, or we'd probably stink to high heaven by now.

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name, oh yeah, but what's confusin' you is just the nature of my game," Magtok sings to himself, following Mick Jagger along note for note, trying his best to keep his mind off of what he's become lately. He was great once, you know. The entire world could guess his name, and fear it, too. Now he's rooting around in what's left of his own store, just trying to keep himself together. Oh man, if only all his friends and enemies could see him now, stealing tubes of toothpaste from the ashes of his own corporate empire, looting camping supplies from his own metaphorical corpse. What a loathsome creature we've become. What a lowly, auto-cannibalistic carrion-eater, this Magtok is.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

25. - Top - End - #55

Neon Coliseum

Did you just die to friggin' rocks? A woman with bright red hair - dyed, rather than natural - has approached Cassidy in the middle of her game. She's holding a crudely made spear behind her head, hands resting on either side. Its tip looks like a glass shard that's been lashed to the metal haft by electrical wire. Her grey jumpsuit has been zippered open to the waist, exposing the black tank top she wears underneath - the arms and top half tied around her waist to keep it secure. A satchel that practically bulges with stuff hangs at her side.

What, you fall asleep? She asks, before bursting into laughter.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56

[MagMart]

A tap on the storefront glass echoes through the abandoned market, and Magtok might just find himself regretting all that longing for the past he was doing just a couple of seconds ago. That noteriety came with its own drawbacks, and now one of those unfortunate sights is standing right outside.

It might take a short few seconds for Magtok to recognize the woman before him in more casual attire of a dark blue skirt and a white t-shirt, but the golden-haired cat girl before him was unmistakably Caelynn. Sure, she’d definitely aged a fair amount, she looks to be in her mid 30s, though it hasn’t tarnished her beauty terribly - if anything, it gave her a bit of a more mature sort of allure - but what Magtok might notice most of all is that she looks a lot less vivacious and wide-eyed than the last time they met. Now she looks tired, world-weary... butbtheres stull a spark of determined enthusiasm in those purple eyes, even if it’s not quite as bright as before.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

27. - Top - End - #57

MagMart

"...Arkhosia?" No dummy, it's Caelynn. The ostensibly good one, even though AMEN's Arkhosia was never that evil, and HALO's Caelynn never that heroic. You can tell because Arkhosia had darker hair and Caelynn was blonde and also because they looked nothing at all like each other you self-absorbed clod. Good thing she can't hear you from here, you idiot. Time apparently hasn't been very kind to her. That's not to imply she looks old and unsightly, she doesn't, I mean time has very literally been quite mean, and aged her an entire decade, whereas from the cyborg's perspective, it's only been like...what, three years since they last saw each other? It's hard to tell sometimes, when the passage of time has to be checked and double-checked against the collective memories and experiences of clones in pockets of the Nexus moving at different rates, but we're pretty sure it's been like three years. She's lost the baby bump, which is no surprise at all, because catgirl pregnancies don't normally last a dozen years.

"Crap," the cyborg mutters, fishing a ring of keys out of his pocket as he heads towards MagMart's entrance. She wants to talk, doesn't she? More likely than not, about those embarrassing old days when he acted like a complete bastard towards everyone. She's bound to ask questions about what we're doing these days, and why we're pushing a shopping hovercart through an empty, closed-down MagMart, loading up on various cleaning solutions, personal hygiene products, and whatever else isn't nailed down and hasn't spoiled. This is going to be all kinds of difficult, but a combination of morbid curiosity and guilt compels us to go forward instead of telling the controversial ex-girlfriend to get lost.

Just as every cop is a criminal
    And all the sinners saints
    As heads is tails
    Just call me Lucifer
    'Cause I'm in need of some restraint

"Hey Caelynn. You uh...you caught me at a weird time. I was just about to do some focus market research before MagMart has its grand reopening sale. Hence the cart," he explains. Lies, of course. All of it, lies. Even now, the cyborg's pride is too swollen and bloated to admit weakness, to let even a sliver of reality poke through. The only real difference between the Magtok then and the Magtok now is this one feels the guilt and shame of his duplicity much more acutely, even as he hurriedly rushes to concoct even more deceit and dishonesty to account for whatever else the catgirl might say next.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

28. - Top - End - #58

[MagMart]

Caelynn quirks an eyebrow- nuts, she didn’t buy it - but doesn’t question any of Magtok’s statements. Whether this is a relief or an affront to the cyborg’s dignity because she isn’t interested in his own personal goings on is anyone’s guess.

”...look, we need to talk. It’s about my daughter.” A general tone of reluctance highlights just how uneasy she is to speak with him, and Magtok might get the impression that perhaps the previous time when he was an awful bastard towards everyone might have cut deeper for the cat than he thought.

Then again, she definitely looked like she put a little bit of effort in looking presentable, so maybe there’s more to it.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

29. - Top - End - #59

MagMart

The cyborg shakes his head. "She's not ending the world. If she didn't start chanting eldritch prophecies and quoting scripture in a low baritone in her toddler years, she's not going to start now, at the age of..." Quick, take a guess based on how much Caelynn's aged since you last saw her, and then deduct five years to flatter her! "Seven? Eight?" Hey, I said deduct five years, not ten. Let's not go overboard, cyborg. For all of our guilt over our past rancid terribleness, she's still the mother of Reinholdt's child. That means we keep her an arm's length away, got it? Actually, being emotionally distant is how we treat everyone, better make that two arms' length, just to be safe.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

30. - Top - End - #60

[MagMart]

”Twenty.” Caelynn corrects almost instantly, without so much as a pause.
    ...huh. I guess she’s aged even better than previously thought!
    ”But that’s not why I’m here.” The catgirl continues, taking a moment to compose herself and think out what she’ll say next.
    ”She’s in the Nexus now. How I know, I’m not quite sure, but I just do. And I think we both know Reinholdt is too.” A little bit of unease slows her down, a degree of hesitation separating her otherwise direct and concise words.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show