New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Mallside 10

1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Mallside 10

MagMart

"Reinholdt doesn't do much more than sleep around and go on quests promising exotic loot and magical treasure these days. If she doesn't agree to follow him into The Fabled Tomb of the Pharaoh God King Tutenkahblufish and mentions their blood relation before things can get weird, she should be fine," Magtok answers dismissively, turning his shopping cart around and advancing towards some-wait hold on, did she say twenty?!

"Twenty. She...got caught in some sort of time rift, right? Aged twice as fast as her mom?" he asks, looking back at her over his shoulder. No way. For twenty years to have passed, she'd have to have been...what, horrifyingly underage that whole time? No, someone would've said something. We wouldn't have dated a fifteen year old girl. Reinholdt, as repulsive as he is, wouldn't have knocked one up. Maybe her species just ages with slightly more grace than human beings do. A long, elfy lifespan, without the pompousness or living in magical trees elves are known for.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

2. - Top - End - #62

Neon Coliseum

"I'm sorry, did you see the rocks spitting fire at me? This crap's harder than it looks." Despite her words, Cassidy can't help but crack up herself as she starts a new game. She wasn't gonna get to the top of the high scores playing like that. She briefly looks over at the woman that's come over. "You always carry spears here? There's kids around, ya know."

A brief description, since her directory post is out of date: Cassidy's hair is styled in a sidecut, with red highlights to compliment its natural black. She's dressed in a cheap black suit, though with the jacket open, and only a sports bra underneath, leaving her abs exposed.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

[MagMart]

A rather amused exhale slips from the catgirl's lips before she responds, a tinge of her old, bubbly self showing. "Glad to know I look young for my age." It was a little indirect of an answer, but it certainly cleared things up a little. Phew, that was close... though now it begs the question; just how much younger does she look? Was he dating a 30 year old back then? Never mind, this didn't clarify things much at all.

"It's not just Reinholdt I'm worried about... It's you." Another uneasy pause passes before a visibly uncomfortable Caelynn continues, glancing down at her shoes a little guiltily. "I... I know you owe me nothing, I was a horrible partner and I'm frankly surprised you continued to have anything to do with me whatsoever after... after everything, but I need to ask." Her visage turns up a little timidly to look up at Magtok. "Please, don't let her get caught in the crossfire of whatever stupid feud you two spark up again? She's... she's got her own problems to deal with, and I don't want her to endure what happened to me all those years ago."
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2018-09-03 at 11:13 AM.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Coyhouse

The man actually takes a step back. Some things, helpful or not, only work if the true nature is not revealed. This is one of them. Your friend's enchantment can be cured, but the cure is unlikely to work if they are aware of what is going on.
    Strangely, the step back seems to help. The emotions quiet somewhat, enough to feel like she's more in control.
    However tentative that state always is. How very very tentative.
    Stay asleep. Please.

Take a breath, focus on the matter at hand.
    "But that doesn't answer the question. Why are you doing this, 'helping', at all?"
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

5. - Top - End - #65
    Halfling in the Playground

[An Oddly Quiet Food Hall]

Affidavit looks up, smiles, folds the paper away and motions for Shazhan to take a seat. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a dimmer switch for the blue light emitted from his eyes, so he does his best to avoid staring directly at the figure. "I can't really judge someone else based on their appearance when I'm just a walking trick of the light. Please, take a seat. I've made sure we won't be disturbed by passers-by."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

6. - Top - End - #66

MagMart

Magtok plucks a candy bar from a shelf, turning it about in his hands to check the expiration date, because that's so much easier than making eye contact right now. Drat, no good. Several years past no good, in fact. Some chocolate might've made a handy distraction from this little chat right about now. I suppose we could just pretend to be really interested in the list of ingredients and nutritional information, but Caelynn's not going to buy that kind of evasive nonsense, is she? I mean, maybe when you first met her, possibly, but she's not that innocent fifty(?)-year-old girl anymore.

"You don't need to worry about me. I'm not really dealing with Reinholdt right now. I left for like three years, so now I've got an entire MagCave to rebuild, gotta get the cloning tanks fixed up, all the spooky science monsters need to be put back in their cages, and-" Shut up. Nobody cares, Magtok. Certainly not Caelynn. This isn't the answer she's looking for, and you know, if you really are as busy as you say, and trying to be a better person like you keep insisting upon, it shouldn't be any trouble at all to make the promise she wants to hear, should it?

"...Sure, fine. No women, no children, no sins of the father. I won't so much as say a rude word to her, I promise," Magtok concedes with a heavy sigh, going through the various chocolates in search of something that won't have a sapient mold growing beneath the wrapper. It's an entirely foolish, hopeless endeavor; the primary ingredient is the same for every one of them. "You make me sound like I wasn't the absolute worst back then, Caelynn. Like I'd ever done anything right. I was a monster to you. The old Magtok probably would've gotten her involved in the feud out of spite, just because you asked me not to." Come on now; that's a bit of an exaggeration, Magtok. No, you probably would've just settled for telling Alexis about every little bad thing her dad had ever done, and then left her to her own devices in the hopes she'd commit patricide on her own initiative.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

7. - Top - End - #67

Neon Coliseum

What? It ain't lewd or nothing is it? She says, glancing at the end of her spear. She didn't pick a shard that- nah, nah it's fine.

Whatever, they'll find out about it eventually anyway. Hell you aren't even wearing a shirt. She says as she peers around the side of Cassidy, casually checking her out. If she's impressed she isn't showing it.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68

Neon Coliseum

"Wh- lewd? No, I'm talking bout bringing weapons around here. Jeez, you kids these days and your lewd stuff." Cassidy doesn't look a day older than 26.

She briefly glances at the woman in time to catch her checking her out, but she focuses on her game, weaving her way through obstacles until she reaches the first boss. "Psh, I'm plenty covered. Hell, nowadays people cant even see my ink."

9. - Top - End - #69

Neon Coliseum

Pffft. As long as they don't yell too loud they won't have to learn about it.
    The woman keeps her attention focused on the screen now that Cassidy's playing again. She watches in silence for a little while before piping up again. What ink ya got anyway. Cool snake or something?

Show

10. - Top - End - #70

Neon Coliseum

Cassidy lets herself grin as she passes the second stage, where she had died before. This run was going a lot better.

"Hm? Well, I've got a cobra on my lower arm," She moves her left forearm a bit for indication, "But I've got lots of ink. Both my arms are covered now, and I'm getting a thing of a wolf and a dragon on my back. What about you? You got anything?"

11. - Top - End - #71

[MagMart]

Caelynn breathes a sigh of relief, and the exhaustion on her face eases, as if a weight had been lifted off of her shoulders. Not a great burden, there's still a fair bit of tiredness in her face, but there is a noticeable difference. She shifts her weight a little, the unease disappearing as her hand rests on her hip.

As Magtok's comments shift toward his own moral character, the catgirl raises an eyebrow, confusion creeping into her countenance. "I don't think you were that bad? And besides, it's not like I was blameless either. I really was awful back then."
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

12. - Top - End - #72

MagMart

"I was a card-carrying member of the Association of the Malicious, Evil, and Nefarious, Caelynn. Maybe not the most loyal AMENite, since I broke you out of your cell just because, but-" Magtok shakes his head. Trying to best Caelynn in the 'I was the worst person ever' Olympics is a waste of time, no matter how much worse we may have actually been, and talking about how we broke her out of AMEN's torture chambers doesn't help our case at all, either. He instead reaches out for a pack of gum. Gum doesn't expire after three years in a sealed container, right? We should totally be able to chew this gum without any issues, surely.

"Don't let her step foot in Riverside; it's a warzone right now. Some demon army is the new big evil menace these days, and they stomped all over VIGIL at least once, so they're not to be underestimated. GLoG should still be as safe as ever, even with the cat hanging around the campgrounds, but Mallside and the Dancing Fox Inn are still indisputably the safest places in the world, because fights just do not happen there, ever. The usual rules about tavern fights and fey-infested parks and signing weird contracts with strangers still apply, of course," Magtok explains, all in one breath. I hope Caelynn got all of that the first time, because the tin man definitely isn't repeating himself. Being even a little bit friendly and helpful and cooperative is agony, when all he wants to do is disappear or telewarp away.

"Honestly, this might be one of the safer points of Nexus history. I don't think AMEN even exists anymore. If she just makes friends, stays out of the bad places, and doesn't hang around the bad people, she should be fine." Magtok isn't sure if he can actually believe that, but it sounds halfway true, right? Things definitely used to be a lot more violent than they are now, and poor (60-something?) Caelynn looks overwhelmed with stress about her baby coming to the Nexus. A little half-lie won't hurt.

"Can I get you anything else while you're here? No charge, since I'm feeling nice and I don't have the cash registers up and running yet. Just keep in mind it's been like three years, so lots of the stuff around here has probably expired. A few cans of soup? A winter jacket? An awkward hug and assurance that you're a good mom and she's lucky to have you watching out for her? I don't see any long-overdue apologies in this aisle, but I can check in the back and see if we have any in stock."
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

13. - Top - End - #73

Neon Coliseum

On my ankle yeah.
    She has a swear word one of her friends did with a makeshift tattoo gun made out of a needle and a ballpoint pen. There a good place around here to get it done? I haven't been here long. It's unclear whether she means here as in the Mall or here as in the Nexus.

Show

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    MagMart

"I was a card-carrying member of the Association of the Malicious, Evil, and Nefarious, Caelynn. Maybe not the most loyal AMENite, since I broke you out of your cell just because, but-" Magtok shakes his head. Trying to best Caelynn in the 'I was the worst person ever' Olympics is a waste of time, no matter how much worse we may have actually been, and talking about how we broke her out of AMEN's torture chambers doesn't help our case at all, either. He instead reaches out for a pack of gum. Gum doesn't expire after three years in a sealed container, right? We should totally be able to chew this gum without any issues, surely.

"Don't let her step foot in Riverside; it's a warzone right now. Some demon army is the new big evil menace these days, and they stomped all over VIGIL at least once, so they're not to be underestimated. GLoG should still be as safe as ever, even with the cat hanging around the campgrounds, but Mallside and the Dancing Fox Inn are still indisputably the safest places in the world, because fights just do not happen there, ever. The usual rules about tavern fights and fey-infested parks and signing weird contracts with strangers still apply, of course," Magtok explains, all in one breath. I hope Caelynn got all of that the first time, because the tin man definitely isn't repeating himself. Being even a little bit friendly and helpful and cooperative is agony, when all he wants to do is disappear or telewarp away.

"Honestly, this might be one of the safer points of Nexus history. I don't think AMEN even exists anymore. If she just makes friends, stays out of the bad places, and doesn't hang around the bad people, she should be fine." Magtok isn't sure if he can actually believe that, but it sounds halfway true, right? Things definitely used to be a lot more violent than they are now, and poor (60-something?) Caelynn looks overwhelmed with stress about her baby coming to the Nexus. A little half-lie won't hurt.

"Can I get you anything else while you're here? No charge, since I'm feeling nice and I don't have the cash registers up and running yet. Just keep in mind it's been like three years, so lots of the stuff around here has probably expired. A few cans of soup? A winter jacket? An awkward hug and assurance that you're a good mom and she's lucky to have you watching out for her? I don't see any long-overdue apologies in this aisle, but I can check in the back and see if we have any in stock."
    At the mention of Riverside, Caelynn's face blanches a little (heh). "I'm not sure I could keep Alexis from going there if I tried, and I have a sinking feeling that something like that will attract her like a moth to a flame." She sighs, slumping a little. "I don't know just what it is with her, it's like she just can't help but throw herself into the most dangerous situations she can find... though knowing her parents, I guess I shouldn't be surprised." Despite the worries this news has given her though, the rest of Magtok's comments do seem to do the trick at easing her fears a fair amount, a greater deal of relief creeping into her expression.

"...a hug would be nice." From the shy little blush and glance away that follows this response, Magtok might get the sense that she hasn't had anything even resembling a gesture like that in a loooong time.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

15. - Top - End - #75

Neon Coliseum

"Not here in Mallside, least not that I've seen. Most of my stuff was done back home, but I've found a couple folks in the city. Good people." Cassidy's ability to converse while focusing on a game is uncanny, though she does lose her first life on the third stage with a wince.

16. - Top - End - #76

Neon Coliseum

Ha.
    She laughs as Cassidy loses a life. Why're you playing this piece of crap anyway? They got like VR stuff over there. Are there prizes? It would make sense if she were playing this one for prizes.

Show

17. - Top - End - #77

Neon Coliseum

"VR, pfh." Cassidy rolls her eyes. "Everything's gotta be an experience when you can slot it straight into your brain. You get over simsense real quick when you've been in real shootouts and you've actually gotten laid in your life, kid." Did she really just call a woman that looks the same age as her 'kid?' "But quick stuff like this? I can get behind it. Helps me relax."

18. - Top - End - #78

Neon Coliseum

What're you tryin' to say huh? She says, whipping her spear around to point it at Cassidy, suddenly aggressive. You think I friggin' haven't? Think this is just for show huh? She looks pretty mad! That wasn't a very nice thing to say Cassidy.

Show

19. - Top - End - #79

Neon Coliseum

Cassidy barely even reacts to the spear being pointed at her, despite being unarmed and thoroughly distracted. "Frag me, are you always this high-strung? Reactions like that'll get you in trouble with some way crankier folks than me around here. Maybe you should play one of these pieces of crap; pretty sure Outrun's here too."

20. - Top - End - #80

MagMart

"She'll be okay, Caelynn. Alexis is going to be alright," the cyborg insists, awkwardly wrapping his arms around the emotionally vulnerable catgirl as he promised a moment ago. That offer of a hug was partially meant in jest, but gods, look at her. Caelynn is barely holding it together while her baby runs off to get murdered or raped or tortured to death. One of the only things worse than loss is the uncertainty and confusion that precedes it, the vivid nightmare scenarios the imagination concocts as it prepares for the worst, and it sounds like Caelynn's been suffering through all of that non-stop since before she even got here. A moment or two of hug-induced discomfort is the least we could do, really. Well...maybe more than a moment or two, depending on how long Caelynn keeps the hug going. It's a hug for her benefit; she can decide when to let go and pull away.

"The war's almost over anyway; it's probably too late for her to get involved," Magtok assures her, even though he has absolutely nothing at all to back up that claim, no reason to believe it, and hasn't stepped foot in Riverside since his return. It was going on when the previous MagClone was scouting out the Nexus for the collective's return, though, wasn't it? It can't be that far from its conclusion, right?
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

21. - Top - End - #81

Neon Coliseum

Well that makes her feel a little silly, doesn't it? I'd frig em up. She says, putting the spear butt down and leaning on it. None of the weirdos I've seen here so far look that tough.

Show

22. - Top - End - #82

Neon Coliseum

Cassidy loses her second life, complete with a second wince. "Yeah, I said that too the first time I came here. Trust me, you'll be changing your tune sooner or later."
    Last edited by Devixer; 2018-09-05 at 09:25 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post

Affidavit looks up, smiles, folds the paper away and motions for Shazhan to take a seat. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a dimmer switch for the blue light emitted from his eyes, so he does his best to avoid staring directly at the figure. "I can't really judge someone else based on their appearance when I'm just a walking trick of the light. Please, take a seat. I've made sure we won't be disturbed by passers-by."

"Really now, through science or simple intimidation?" Shazhan asks as he indeed takes a seat. "Its curious, you are not too different from my people like this. I've yet met a being in this nexus that could make such a claim until now."

24. - Top - End - #84

[MagMart]

Caelynn hugs the cyborg with a fair bit more enthusiasm, her embrace surprisingly tight. Then again, considering her how utterly shaken and fretful she had been, it wasn't that shocking; nor is the way she holds him tight, sinking into the hug almost desperately, as if she wanted to forget everything else, or the almost uncomfortably long duration for which it lasts. She sniffles a little before separating from him almost reluctantly, stepping back and wiping a couple tears that had started to well up in her violet eyes.

T-thanks, I... I needed that. It's... been a while since I had anyone to talk to. she admits, a little embarrassed. Seventeen years spent out in a faraway world, and no bonds to show for it whatsoever. Maybe she'd just been too focused on her daughter, too focused on learning and practicing the work she made a living with during that time... too scared to form one after what she had been through, too scared to disappoint someone and **** it up all over again....
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

25. - Top - End - #85

Neon Coliseum

Pfft, sure. She is unconvinced. Man you really suck at this game huh? Just stop getting hit, idiot. She seems pretty blatantly fishing for a reaction here, smirk plastered across her face.

Show

26. - Top - End - #86

Neon Coliseum

Cass cackles, a similar grin spreading across her face. "Hey, you're more than welcome to try it yourself. Unless you're scared of this piece of 80s tech?"

27. - Top - End - #87

Neon Coliseum

She scowls a little and tries to push Cass out of the way of the game and seize the controls for herself. Show you who's friggin' scared. She mutters, mostly to herself. Assuming that this interruption in play wasn't enough to end the last life on the machine she'll immediately take over and likely die as she figures out the controls.

Show

28. - Top - End - #88

MagMart

Blegh. Better hug her again, just to be safe. It doesn’t sound like she got all of that emotional gunk out of her system with the first hug, after all. Yikes, we figured she would’ve found someone to help her raise Rein’s kid, but apparently not. Hope the bastard of a cat at least set her up with a trust fund or child support payments or something. He almost undoubtedly didn’t, though. Rotten scumbag animal...

“Caelynn? I need you to do me a favor,” Magtok insists, pulling back with his hands still resting on the (80-something?) catgirl mom’s arms, and staring intently down at those tired violet eyes, to make it clear this is serious business right now.

“I need you to, don’t question it, don’t argue, just repeat after me three times: ‘Magtok is a manipulative asshat. I’m an emotional wreck right now and not thinking clearly. I should think carefully about everything I do and say, especially around him.’ Three times.” As odd and bizarre as this might sound, his severe tone suggests she really isn’t going to be able to just laugh off this bit of eccentricity and continue on. This nonsense is a prerequisite if she wants to continue this conversation at all.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

29. - Top - End - #89

Neon Coliseum

Cass is just laughing as she's shoved away from the machine, and the woman quickly loses the last available life. "Eh, that doesn't have to count. Here, I'll even buy your game." She inserts another coin into the machine, so that she can play a full run herself.

30. - Top - End - #90

Neon Coliseum

The first two lives go... poorly. She dies pretty quickly to the second wave of enemies the first life in then tanks it almost immediately after to the next. Dumb game doesn't even work right. I moved out of the way! The third life however she seems to have gotten into a bit of a groove. She manages to beat the first boss and gets all the way to the second before dying the final time. Crappy boss never even used that attack against you. You got lucky alright. The boss used that attack quite often but it seems like this woman didn't notice or chose to ignore it.

Show