New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: Mallside 10

1. - Top - End - #151
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Mallside 10

[An Oddly Quiet Food Hall]

"The nether, hmm?" Affy rubs his chin thoughtfully, "A shield projector certainly sounds interesting, and I dare say I'd be able to rig up some alternate method of powering it, given enough time. I'd just need to design something to modify the output of an energy source to match the form it'd be drawn on from the nether. Sort of, mmm, purifying the energy, as it were." He leans forward, an eager expression on his face, "But perhaps there's room to expand our collaboration here. If it's enough to power their entire civilisation, this nether must be a near-limitless energy source, yes? I wonder if we couldn't engineer a way of accessing it that escapes their detection."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

A Slightly Noisier Part of the Food Court

Fidelia considers the narrowed-down options presented, hesitating a little, before eventually settling on Glorious Arstotzkan Meat Buffet. I mean, with a name like that, it's gotta be good right?

Well, not so much. There's plenty of colorful cuisine - schnitzel, blutwurst currywurst, Konisburg meatballs- but there's also potatoes, bread, and an unappetizing concoction labeled "Street Rat Stew" - and something tells Fidelia that may be a descriptor rather than a fancy name. Eventually though, the woman decides upon a hefty helping of goulash and a side of diced and seasoned potatoes, a glass of Vita-Cola and some bratwurst. Finding the pair a seat, she certainly doesn't waste any time digging in, stuffing down the steaming hot food with relish. Sure, it may be a pale imitation of the quality a real restaurant or a home-cooked meal offers, but to Fidelia, it's positively divine.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

If Saint Lazarus were still Jenette, she imagines watching Fidelia eat all this would be the worst. The smell alone would have her insisting upon stealing a potato or something, surely. Fortunately...or maybe unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, nothing like that happens. Watching Fidelia eat all of that is like watching someone eat sand, or maybe gravel, or even pizza with slices of pineapple on it. Laz just feels nothing.

"Hey Fidelia, I don't know what your intentions are with this life debt thing, but just as a reminder, I do a lot of murdering bad guys and then eating them later," Laz starts, figuring that some conversation might help distract herself from the sapiovore angst. It might also ruin Fidelia's appetite, but whatever. She can always take her leftovers home and save them for later, right? "I don't know how involved in that sort of thing you want to get, or if you'd rather stick to the sidelines and just take armor repair and sword maintenance classes, but we should probably figure it out soon. Romero likes you, but I've got rent and expenses to think about. I don't mind helping, really, I don't, but I'm not rich enough to keep doing it forever for free." The budget's being stretched pretty thin as is, and when the majority of one's income comes from looting dead muggers and selling their stuff at the pawnshop, making regular bill payments can be almost as challenging as hunting dangerous criminals for a living.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2018-10-23 at 07:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

4. - Top - End - #154

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post

"The nether, hmm?" Affy rubs his chin thoughtfully, "A shield projector certainly sounds interesting, and I dare say I'd be able to rig up some alternate method of powering it, given enough time. I'd just need to design something to modify the output of an energy source to match the form it'd be drawn on from the nether. Sort of, mmm, purifying the energy, as it were." He leans forward, an eager expression on his face, "But perhaps there's room to expand our collaboration here. If it's enough to power their entire civilisation, this nether must be a near-limitless energy source, yes? I wonder if we couldn't engineer a way of accessing it that escapes their detection."

"It's an venue that I and many else have attempted to explore. The issue is that this energy isn't just powering my people's civilization, it actually makes them up." Shazhan leans backward as he seems to want to keep a certain distance between them, then gesturing at himself. "I mentioned how I'm a form of coherent energy, yes? Well, that energy originally comes from the nether. The entire realm is literary made up by what could become new ethereals. We're attuned to it in a way that I'm afraid i can't really properly describe as there is no equivalent to humans. I guess it could be like feeling the wind or the direction of a stream underwater, though that isn't the best analogy either. Let's just say that it would be like you'd be stealing fetuses from a hospital. Eventually someone would notice. It isn't just a remote energy source like oil or running water, its quite literary what we are. That energy have just been molded, like your universe have eventually molded star stuff into meat brains, into a pattern you recognize as a sapient being."

5. - Top - End - #155

Ha! If you think that's going to make Fidelia falter in zealously glutting herself on this delicious meal... well, you'd be right, but only a little. She slows down briefly as Jen's words make her recall the sight of extra-rare bandana boy shank, but the hot scent of bratwurst swiftly distracts and rejuvenates whatever appetite the memory had ruined.

"Nothing to it. It just... doesn't feel right if I don't repay it. Especially after... that." The girl shudders, a sense of melancholy briefly cast across her features. Not exactly pleasant memories. But Fidelia doesn't dwell on them, her mood brightening as she swiftly shifts gears to just how she could do her part."Well... I don't mind getting involved. I've been in plenty of fights before, gotten pretty good with a knife." she gestures idly with a forkful of potato as she responds, taking a bite between sentences "But I could do repairs, too... I can actually make metal heal, sorta. Don't... really know how I do it, though."

It was something the street rat had first discovered a couple years ago when the venerable old switchblade she was using at the time snapped in half, holding the two broken pieces together in disbelief before watching in shock as her frantic refusals that this couldn't be happening suddenly came true. but even after all that time, and a few other moments of stubbornly willing for nicked blades, broken locks or rusted-out ladders to mend, Fidelia still didn't have a clue. She suspected it probably had something to do with the strange blemishes upon her thigh, but that was as far as she got.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2018-10-23 at 08:31 PM.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

6. - Top - End - #156

Saint Lazarus raises an eyebrow (nobody can even see it, so why am I mentioning it?) before removing one of her gauntlets, setting it down on the table. After that's done, she stands up, places her foot on her seat, and unfastens one of her greaves, setting the slightly dented metal shinguard on the table next to the gauntlet. She briefly pauses after that, thinking about drawing her sword from its scabbard and pointing out the nicks and minor structural damage to the blade, but that can wait until later, when they're not in a public space where drawing a large two-handed sword could be looked upon with fear and distaste.

"Alright. Well, a couple of the fingers on the greave pinch at the tips, because they were smashed in that last fight, and there's a bullet hole in the back of the left greave from when someone shot me in the back of the calf a couple weeks ago. No big deal really, but the unwanted ventilation shaft could be a problem if I stepped in a puddle," Saint Lazarus explains, sitting back down and turning the greave around so Fidelia can see the teeny bullet opening for herself. ""Can you show off your magic here and now, or do you need special conditions to make it work?" If Fidelia thought Jen wasn't going to want a demonstration right here and now, she was way off. It's magic! It's magic that could help her specifically, since all her equipment is metal! This is a fantastic opportunity, provided Fidelia doesn't need to sacrifice a newborn or something to cast her spells.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

7. - Top - End - #157

Slightly Noisier Part of the Food Court

Finishing off the last few bites of goulash, Fidelia watches as Jen wordlessly strips off the two pieces of armor, tilting her head ever so slightly in confusion. It wasn't that warm in the food court and her armor couldn't be *that* stifling... right? She'd never worn armor before, but she understood that metal wasn't great for insulation.

"Sure! I'll see what I can do...." The woman's green eyes brighten, and she reaches out to accept the punctured greave. Jen wasn't the only one eager here; Fidelia instantly recognized this for what it was. She was getting an opportunity to start giving back to the woman who had saved her and who she owed so much already... and it also gave her a chance to maybe even impress her a little bit.

Drawing the armored plate nearer, she wrapped her smaller hands around either end, closed her eyes, took a deep breath... and focused. At first, nothing seems to happen... but after a second, the metal begins to glow faintly, and time seems to almost reverse. The flared-in puncture gradually folds back in and the edges flow into each other, bonds reforming into what they once were. The weathered face of the greave starts to ease, and the faint scarring of the elements from months of use subsides. It won't be pristine, glinting in the artificial lighting of the food court... but it will look less battered, at least.

Fidelia repeats the same process with the gauntlet next, slowly and carefully setting the components back down upon the table. A small little smile spreads upon the urchin's face as she gently inclines her head to look back up towards Jen as she does so, her eyes seeking a sign of approval. Jen's own eyes might note that the action was not without cost, however; Fidelia is a little paler, and she's actually feeling slightly dizzy. The recompense for such a reversal was some of the erstwhile beggar's energy, and it had left her a little worn down and disoriented. She tried to hide this, though; no sense in making Jen feel bad it!
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

8. - Top - End - #158

Slightly Noisier Part of the Food Court

Silly Fidelia, you can't hide what's written all over your face. Not without a helmet like Saint Lazarus's, anyway. A bare, unarmored hand gently takes hold of her chin, turning her head this way and that. Yep, just as suspected. The magic takes a lot out of the girl, and this was some fairly minor damage, so Laz won't be able to just run through a barrage of machine gun fire and expect to have all the holes sealed up the very next evening. Not so long as the homeless girl's stamina can be drained this quickly.

"Maybe with some cardio, and a better diet..." the ghoul knight mumbles to herself, something vaguely resembling a plan coalescing into existence in her head. Just have to do what she can to work past years of malnutrition and beatings and everything else the streets have done to Fidelia. Of course, the street rat herself probably won't be nearly as excited when she finds out what her debtor has in mind, but what's an early morning ten mile jog or two between friends?
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

9. - Top - End - #159

Somewhat Louder Section of the Dining Area

”J-Jen, please... I’m fine...” The woman protests weakly as the knight examines her. She reaches up to grasp the hand clutching her chin, wrapping her surprisingly delicate fingers around the ghoul’s wrist... but Fidelia can’t bring herself to actually pull it away, and her hand merely lingers in a gentle grasp until Jen withdraws. As much as she doesn’t want the knight to fret about her wellbeing, Fidelia isn’t willing to relinquish the physical contact. It’s a pleasant feeling, something she can barely remember experiencing... well, not in a friendly or kind manner, at least.

This response shouldn’t halt Jen’s examination, nor her train of thought, however, and the street rat stares back at the knight with a shyly questioning look as the gears begin to turn behind her metal carapace. She doesn’t speak further however, simply waiting for the thought to be concluded. She certainly had no idea about what the knight might have in store of her, or else she might not have been so quiet.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

10. - Top - End - #160

"Hmm..." Affidavit frowns, tapping his cane lightly, contemplating this little problem. "Well, whether or not they would notice is rather dependent on just how much capacity the nether has, hmm? Assume we're able to find a way in without being detected - as long as we weren't taking it from the same place, I rather suspect we could get away with it. And it doesn't seem like much of a moral dilemma if your kind is already willing to use that energy for purposes other than creating life. Food for thought, perhaps, but something to plan out another time I think." Back to the matter at hand for now - what can Shazhan do for him right now? "I suspect I could probably rig anything you provide to run off some alternate energy source. Protection remains my primary concern, but if there are issues with keeping any such device powered, perhaps something more suitable for, mmm, experimenting with?"
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

11. - Top - End - #161

Somewhat Louder Section of the Dining Area

"You're not. There'll be lots of chances to use your power, but if it makes you this drained, you'll have to be careful with it," the ghoul insists, before backing off and letting Fidelia have her chin back. Alternatively, maybe practice makes perfect here? It's unlikely Fidelia needed to use her power more than every few months out in the streets of Skyside, but with Saint Lazarus's regularly scheduled criminal beatdowns, her armor is bound to pick up a few dents and scratches that Fidelia could practice on.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

12. - Top - End - #162

"I did not mean to pose it as a moral dilemma..." Shazhan pauses for a moment. "Ah, fetuses do have a special status among your people, don't they? My bad. Metaphors doesn't seem to be my strong suit. But what I meant to convey with it was that all nether has to potential to become a sapient being. But at the same time, it also has the potential to become simple fuel. I suppose the closest comparison would be those medical treatments humans use where they grow parts of a human simply to use as spare parts of another. But that aside, currently I don't have a way of coming in undetected. If I had, I would have already used it. Of course, you seem to have far more scientific resources than KABAL do, so perhaps if I could have a peek at it i could see something that could be used to become undetected."

"As for an alternative power source, I am open to experimenting with it. While these devices are supposed to be hardwired to the nether, the goblins have already reversed engineered a lot of them so its possible. Especially for a person of your caliber."

13. - Top - End - #163

Moderately More Cacophonous Cafeteria

Fidelia's lips start to part as she attempts to formulate a response, but she pauses nearly an instant later. Reason prevails and she seals her mouth shut, opting instead for a reluctant nod. It wasn't what she wanted, but it was the truth. And if she was to repay Jen like she swore she would, she would have to take care of herself. What help can she be in a state like this?

"Y-you're right, I'm sorry. I... I should know better." The urchin's gaze lowers a little, folding her hands in her lap. After a moment, she adds with a chuckle, "I guess I'm getting a little eager to do my part. I've never gone shopping before like this, and it feels... well, special."
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2018-10-31 at 02:48 AM.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

14. - Top - End - #164

Appreciably More Boisterous Division of the Mall's Cuisine Sector

"It's not that big of a deal. I mean, it's the least I can do for my new life-debtee sidekick roommate...squire?" Saint Lazarus tilts her head to one side. None of those terms felt especially great, in part because she's still not entirely on board with this whole life debt thing. There's a sizable portion of her that doesn't feel she deserves any kind of help, let alone something as extreme as a life debt's worth of help. She just saved your life so she could eat, Fidelia, it's not that big of a deal. Your savior is just some gross zombie monster who's probably going to get shot to pieces while trying to take down a gang, and then thrown into a dumpster somewhere, thrashing about desperately for flesh as she's buried in a landfill somewhere until the last motes of necromantic energy keeping her base instincts intact wink out of existence. It's not something you should lionize or be inspired by in this way.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

15. - Top - End - #165
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Mall Entrance]

One morning, Honeysuckle turns up.
    She's meeting Felandria here once the latter gets back from the Olympian. Sure, they might live in the same place, but they're very busy people! Meeting here makes more sense.
    The blindfold she has on sparkles like the stars, but her ears and tails droop a bit. This day out might well make her nervous enough to need another day out.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #166

Quite Notably Loquacious and Din-Filled Quarter of the Area in Which Sustenance May Be Acquired

"Fair point." Fidelia acquiesces, smiling a little. It was nice to hear Jen call her something like that. She pauses for a second, thinking, before moving to stand up. She grabs her tray, ready to throw away the last couple remnants of her meal. "...I'm ready to go when you are. Is... there anything else we need to do first?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [Mall Entrance]

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    One morning, Honeysuckle turns up.
    She's meeting Felandria here once the latter gets back from the Olympian. Sure, they might live in the same place, but they're very busy people! Meeting here makes more sense.
    The blindfold she has on sparkles like the stars, but her ears and tails droop a bit. This day out might well make her nervous enough to need another day out.
    A wild Fel appears!

Her hair in a ponytail, she’s wearing jeans, a tee shirt and sneakers.

Hey, Honeysuckle, I hope I didn’t keep you waiting too long.

Ready for pampering and pretzels?

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

18. - Top - End - #168

Food Place, But Loud

"Nope. There's a gang-owned bar in Skyside I was hoping to check out, though," the ghoul admits, squinting at and wordlessly judging Fidelia beneath her helmet as she throws out perfectly good food. Dammit, Fidelia, there are starving ghouls out there who'd kill for a meal like that! They frequently do kill for meals like that! How can you just throw away entirely serviceable leftovers?! God, we're starting to think just like mom, aren't we? Jenette's mother had similar complaints almost every night when she was a child, fussing over her vegetables. Man, Laz would kill just to be able to eat those vegetables again, even if it meant broccoli every night for the rest of her life. Being an obligate carnivore sucks.

"I'd probably have to go unarmored, though. Someone may've seen a knight beating up small-time street gangs in the area, and the armor stands out a little." More so than being a zombie does, Lazarus? Let's face it, there's no way you're not attracting unwanted attention if you head up there. You're not the kind of person who can blend into a crowd anymore, no matter how you dress or what you do with your hair.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

19. - Top - End - #169
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Mall Entrance]

Quote Originally Posted by Felandria View Post
    A wild Fel appears!

Her hair in a ponytail, she’s wearing jeans, a tee shirt and sneakers.

Hey, Honeysuckle, I hope I didn’t keep you waiting too long.

Ready for pampering and pretzels?
    Honeysuckle's ears perk up at sound of the approaching HALO-leader/mayor/landlord/arcade operator/demigoddess.
    "Hey Fel. Nah. Just got here myself."
    She waves towards the mall and its doubtless-inferior pretzels.
    "Lead the way."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #170

Dana's Place

A second date with Caelynn. We told ourselves this wouldn't happen. We told her it wouldn't happen. We had plenty of good reasons for it to not happen. We acquired another good reason for it to not happen when we found out Libitina was still alive and in need of rescue. Why is it happening?

Well, allow me to explain. See, as it turns out, hosting the Nexus's biggest Halloween party, entertaining all manner of degenerate scum and ruthless psychopaths in your home, that stuff makes your life more stressful, not less. Magtok was already on the precipice as is because of his home's frequent attempts to eat and/or disembowel him, the business with those Inevitables and Krammy, as well as his looming apocalypse situation, if Affidavit's information proves accurate. That's why the party shoved him right off the edge, Fake Libby's mere presence what little composure and tranquility he had left. It became impossible to deny that he was having trouble managing the stress and keeping his life from completely falling apart when Reinholdt of all people was the one to offer him emotional support back there. Ugh.

Anyway, that's why we're here, to relax a little, de-stress after all that excitement and misery. That's why we're out getting ice cream at the mall. We're taking it easy today, skipping the regularly scheduled daily expedition into the MagCave's dangerous depths. We're dating catgirls, not conducting Nazi experiments on geese. We're thinking about what flavor of ice cream to get, not researching what legendary weapon or sacred relic to quest for and then slay a dragon with. We're reluctantly holding hands, not firearms. Yep, today is the day everything is fine, nothing goes wrong, and we stop thinking about death for a little while! The Nexus owes us at least one good day, so why not this one?

"If I remember right, Dana's Place is down this way. Best ice cream in the city. Maybe in the entire Nexus, if you don't count that place in Skyside that sells evil magical ice cream made from the souls of enslaved orphans," the cyborg explains. Magtok, that Skyside place...you made it up just now, didn't you? It doesn't actually exist, right? Right? I mean, as crazy as Skyside gets, they couldn't possibly have a place like that floating up there, right?

...Magtok, please tell me you were joking.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

21. - Top - End - #171

Loud Food

"Sounds like a plan." Fidelia replies simply, turning back towards Jen. "Hopefully I can keep up. I don't exactly have any special durability or anything...." Normally she wouldn't have brought up such a tiny worry, but she can't exactly pay her debt if she's dead. Best to warn Jen, just in case.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2018-11-06 at 04:21 AM.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

22. - Top - End - #172

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

"I did not mean to pose it as a moral dilemma..." Shazhan pauses for a moment. "Ah, fetuses do have a special status among your people, don't they? My bad. Metaphors doesn't seem to be my strong suit. But what I meant to convey with it was that all nether has to potential to become a sapient being. But at the same time, it also has the potential to become simple fuel. I suppose the closest comparison would be those medical treatments humans use where they grow parts of a human simply to use as spare parts of another. But that aside, currently I don't have a way of coming in undetected. If I had, I would have already used it. Of course, you seem to have far more scientific resources than KABAL do, so perhaps if I could have a peek at it i could see something that could be used to become undetected."

"As for an alternative power source, I am open to experimenting with it. While these devices are supposed to be hardwired to the nether, the goblins have already reversed engineered a lot of them so its possible. Especially for a person of your caliber."

"My people? Well, that's an interesting thing to say." Affy smiles as his form abruptly shimmers and shifts between a variety of different humanoids before settling back on his usual self. "This is simply how I choose to look. Without any sort of flesh-y body to prove otherwise any more, I could be anything." The Prof chuckles - it's not a statement made with any seriousness, but you never know...

"I am open to collaborate on some of this, for sure. I have my own secrets I have to keep, but if you can give me an understanding of how they protect the nether, I dare say I can provide something that'd get us around it."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

[Dana's Ice Cream]

She's told old for ice cream, Rein told Civvy.
    No one's too old for ice cream, Civvy replied.

Thus somehow, Reinholdt ended up inviting Blanche to get some ice cream. Sure a treasure hunt might be more exciting, but it's important to build up to those kind of things. Besides, Blanche seemed super jumpy all the time, so taking her into a cramped dungeon full of traps and monsters didn't seem like the kind of father-daughter bonding that she needs right now.

Besides, this way Rein can grill her all about the most important things.
    "And you're sure this Nigel guy wasn't trying to move in on you and take advantage of you? I mean he was pretty sketchy..." Nigel was like the least sketchy person at that party. Even the babies were twice as sketchy as Nigel.

Speaking of sketchy, is that Magtok headed towards the exact same ice cream shop from the opposite direction? Oh geeze. Can't he ever get rid of that guy? This is supposed to be Rein and Blanche day. Not Rein and Blanche and Magtok and... Caelynn?! So she actually did hook up with him again? Rein wasn't sure if Magtok made that up just to dig at Rein a little or something. He's honestly surprised Mag is giving her a second chance.
    Reinholdt visibly picks up the pace just a little in order to try to get to the door first and hold it open for Blanche, Caelynn, and his arch-nemesis while giving a forced smile and an 'After you'. If there's going to be an awkward day out, there's no way he's going to let Magtok out polite him.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2018-11-06 at 03:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

24. - Top - End - #174

Dana's Ice Cream!

A second date indeed! But while Magtok's motivations might have been propelled by stress and worry, Caelynn's were far simpler. She was there simply because she wanted to spend time with him. That first date had rekindled some long-unresolved feelings from before she left the Nexus, and brought back to the surface the affections she held for the cyborg. And besides, it had been so long since the catgirl had gotten a chance at romance. How could she not accept!

"Well I'm glad you're taking me here instead. It's nice to know even you have standards." Caelynn jests, giving the cyborg an affectionate little smile. "...Then again, I'm probably a point against you there." Her grin turns into a bit more of a smirk there, and she punctuates her remark with a squeeze of his hand. Her behavior was playful and casual... but just below the surface, she was ecstatic. It showed in the slight spring in her step, and a glimmer of youthful exuberance in her tired eyes.

---

...And as Caelynn nears hand in hand with Magtok, Blanche follows Reinholdt, idly wondering why she had agreed to this so quickly. I mean, it's ice cream. What's so special about that? There were so many other, more productive, things she could be doing now. Like practicing at the range, or looking into some odd jobs she could run. Being a member of VIGIL had plenty of benefits, but ammo was expensive. Weapons, explosives and utilities even more so.

"Dad, please, he didn't try anything." She protests. "He seemed more concerned than anything else, honestly. I don't know why, it's not like he was responsible or anything." Punctuating the comment with a shrug, Blanche couldn't help but smile just a little bit. As exasperating as it was to keep insisting "no everything is fine stop worrying about me", it was frankly a little endearing. To know that Reinholdt was already treating her like his daughter after a scant handful of weeks made her feel a little cheerier, more like she belonged. But the smile faded a little as her mind wandered. How often had she taken her mom's concerns for granted, dismissed them outright and even fought with her? They were still friendly, but she could have treated her better -

And that's when Blanche spots the other group. Whereas Reinholdt tries to go with the flow, adapt to the situation... his daughter is a little too surprised to take it all in stride. She freezes, eyes wide in surprise as she stares at the pair. It takes a second for her to find her voice again, and when she does, it's soft, quiet. Vulnerable. "...mom?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

25. - Top - End - #175

Dana's

Yikes. This wasn't planned. In fact, this was exactly the sort of familial reunion we were trying to avoid. Caelynn made it pretty clear that Blanche wasn't supposed to know about her mom's return to the Nexus just yet. Most adult children don't react too well to finding out their parent tracked them down and followed them across the cosmos just to make sure they weren't getting into any trouble. Wow, and you've even got Reinholdt here, for added awfulness. This is all kinds of ugly and unfortunate.

"Blanche, Reinholdt. This is...unexpected," Magtok remarks, biting his tongue on a thousand or so far less civil greetings he could've employed instead. Blegh, he'd suggest up and leaving to Caelynn, but Reinholdt is here. It would look like he was conceding defeat if he just let those two have all the ice cream just to avoid any sort of confrontation. Nope, it looks like the only dignified option is to stay the course, and try his best to avoid getting clawed to pieces in the inevitable catfight. Nothing in this life can ever be easy, can it? Not even ice cream. It's still a great deal less awful than the sort of drama and terror he usually has to deal with, however, so he's not too worked up about this. I mean, this is probably going to be mostly Turath family drama, and none of our business, really. If we're lucky, we might not even get involved at all!
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

26. - Top - End - #176

"But you were, ah... hmm, you seem lack a word for it, born? Conceived? Flesh-birth? No matter, what I want to say is, you came from the womb of a mother-female, correct? Or were you made in some other way?" But then Shazhan shakes his head before Affy will be able to answer. "Actually, you don't need to answer that. Not really important. What is though is that the nether is like one gigantic heavily encrypted server. Not exactly comparable but I'm quickly running out of metaphors here. Point is, just accessing at all probably won't be possible from afar. We would need an actual physical port of entry first which in practical terms means that we need access to one of my people that is still a part of the collective."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

[Dana's Ice Cream]

Magtok didn't even attempt to race Reinholdt to the door. Rein feels practically insulted. Is Magtok even trying in this relationship anymore?

"Caelynn. Magtok," What impressive acknowledgement skills this group of people have. Caelynn just needs to complete the circle to make it fully ridiculous... Wait. Did Blanche not know her mom was dating Magtok? Yeah, Rein would be horrified too if that was his mom. Poor girl. Rein tries to put one hand gently on her back and rub it so she isn't just standing there in a vulnerable daze of 'omg mom why are you embarrassing me?!'

"Come on inside." Rein's standing there with one hand holding the door and the other trying to calm his shell shocked daughter and no one's getting in the parlor. The ice cream does not come out on delivery!
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2018-11-08 at 02:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

28. - Top - End - #178

"Well, since you did ask, no. I was not born in the traditional sense. Think of me, mmm, closer to a clone perhaps? Though not exactly..." Such engaging conversation. This little get together has been very worthwhile if only for that. But this is leading to some very interesting opportunities now. "I wonder how far your server analogy works here, hmm. We need the physical point of entry, but what about once we're in? Can we create a backdoor, a secret entrance just for ourselves? Can we perhaps find a way to mimic the means in which one of your kind still in the collective access the nether? We'd still need one to begin with, but then we might be set indefinitely thereafter. There's opportunity here, definitely."

29. - Top - End - #179

Dana's Place

Caelynn turned a little pale as the four of them stood there, with an expression of shock that suggested the blonde was also definitely internally panicking right now. "A-Alexis, I-" She starts to speak, but her stuttering attempt to make an excuse for not telling her she was there, to apologize, to... hell, she wasn't even quite sure to be frank - is cut short as her daughter runs over and pulls her mother into a tight hug.

"I-I'm sorry mom, I-I should have stayed in touch, I should have told you were I went." Blanche apologizes with heartfelt emotion in a rare display of vulnerability as she lets go, pulling back a step. The two certainly stood apart - one was toned and tanned, a harder edge in her eyes and a more utilitarian style to her garb, while the other was soft and casually-dressed, a warmer and more calm aura about her. Yet it was impossible to deny that they were family even still, from the features they shared to the care in their expressions.

"It's okay, I understand. I'm not angry at you, I never really was." The reassurance tone changed as Caelynn registered the tension between the two men, and she spoke next with a more gentle and careful manner. "Maybe we should go inside? We... we can talk if you want." she offers, to which Blanche gives a gentle nod, taking a deep breath as she composes herself. And with that, Caelynn will lead the four in, with a motherly smile towards her daughter but a wary glance towards Reinholdt and Magtok.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

30. - Top - End - #180

Dana's Place

Magtok bites his tongue and keeps his mouth shut as he heads inside, keeping an eye on the cat and a protective hand over his wallet as he does so. So many pithy remarks and passive-aggressive insults kept locked away, just to maintain some semblance of peace and decorum. Blegh, at least there's ice cream in our very near future.

"If anything happens and you need to leave, just say the word," he whispers as he passes by Caelynn. Okay, so he doesn't keep his mouth completely shut, but at least he's not inciting anything this time, right?
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2018-11-12 at 01:39 AM.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson