New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: Drop Dead Studios Ask Me Anything #3

Q 182: Does the Striker AC bonus class feature stack with Unarmored Training? It doesn't seem like it would, but it's bizarre that one of their Striker Arts grants them Unarmored Training if that's the case.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Galacktic View Post
    Q 182: Does the Striker AC bonus class feature stack with Unarmored Training? It doesn't seem like it would, but it's bizarre that one of their Striker Arts grants them Unarmored Training if that's the case.
    Huh, this is the first time I've seen that Striker Art. Was it always there? Because you're right, the Striker's AC bonus shouldn't actually stack with Unarmored Training, because the latter specifically states it doesn't stack with any AC Bonus abilities from the monk or similar. Given that the Striker's AC bonus is literally named the same thing, and it too states that it doesn't stack with other similar AC Bonuses, I can only conclude that the Striker's AC Bonus won't stack with Unarmored Training.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Orc in the Playground

Q183: If I'm using an admixture feat such as Ghostly Admixture with a destructive blast that does nonlethal damage, would the save DC bonus from the Heavy Hand feat affect the secondary sphere effect, in this case the Ghost Strike? Similarly, would the save penalty from Cascade Failure work for the admixtured sphere effect, or having the base destructive blast be an electric blast? My guess is maybe to the former, and most likely not to the latter. Basically, how connected or independent are the sphere effects when using an Admixture feat? As the rules text implies that other the the CL difference for the spheres the admixture is basically an ad-hoc combined sphere effect.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    Huh, this is the first time I've seen that Striker Art. Was it always there? Because you're right, the Striker's AC bonus shouldn't actually stack with Unarmored Training, because the latter specifically states it doesn't stack with any AC Bonus abilities from the monk or similar. Given that the Striker's AC bonus is literally named the same thing, and it too states that it doesn't stack with other similar AC Bonuses, I can only conclude that the Striker's AC Bonus won't stack with Unarmored Training.
    No actually I asked this before. With some rigamarole it ended up being that Unarmored Training does stack with Monk or Striker Training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    No actually I asked this before. With some rigamarole it ended up being that Unarmored Training does stack with Monk or Striker Training.
    Got any source on that? Because the wording on Unarmored Training is:

Quote Originally Posted by Unarmored Training
    Unarmored Training
    Your deft movements, physical conditioning, and expert use of your chosen weapons allow you to create a protective barrier around yourself as effective as any true suit of armor. When unarmored and unencumbered, you gain a +3 armor bonus to your AC. This bonus increases by +1 for every 3 points of base attack bonus you possess. Characters who gain Acrobatics as a class skill may instead choose to have the armor bonus increase by +1 for every 3 ranks in the Acrobatics skill they possess.

This bonus to AC applies even against touch attacks or when you are flat-footed. You lose these bonuses when you are immobilized or helpless, when you wear any armor, or when you carry a medium or heavy load. These bonuses do not stack with the AC bonus class feature of the monk or similar abilities.

This bonus depends on an intricate awareness of the practicioner’s body and balance, and as such is lost when the target is under any shapeshift other than blank form, or is polymorphed into a creature of the animal, dragon, elemental, magical beast, plant, or vermin type.
    And then...

Quote Originally Posted by AC Bonus
    AC Bonus (Ex)
    When wearing light armor or no armor, not carrying a shield, and unencumbered, the striker adds her Constitution bonus (if any) to her AC and her CMD; this bonus cannot exceed her class level. (A 1st level striker with 16 Constitution still gains only a +1 bonus to her armor class from this class feature.) This AC bonus does not stack with any class features which share the same name as it.

This bonus to AC applies even against touch attacks or when the striker is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears medium or heavy armor, uses a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.
    I'd love it if you were right or had a source/dev that said that, cause it'd make my life a lot easier, but I'd have to see that!

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd love it if you were right or had a source/dev that said that, cause it'd make my life a lot easier, but I'd have to see that!
    I know its weird. I feel like im in the berenstain Universe. I distinctly remember it being something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Pixie in the Playground

Okay, guess a new week and new questions from me :P

Q184 If you take the martial shifter archetype, I'm assuming you can still choose to drop feats 1,5,9,13&17 for Proficient martial talent progression or all of them for Adept? Since the blended training ability is a modification to magic talents ability and not a true martial talent progression. So my question is if you did that could martial talents be used to buy magic talents same as magic could buy martial? Like if I wanted to get an Adept progress and only choose 6 martial spheres/talents and used the other 4 for extra magic spheres/talents.

Q185 Taking the Familiar archetype for a conjuration companion does make it count as an actual familiar for feats and abilities that work on or through a familiar? I know it would not gain any of the powers of a traditional familiar (unless it does and just isn't mentioned which would be neat too)

8. - Top - End - #308
    Orc in the Playground

A 182: I could swear I've answered this before, but the intention was that they do stack, which was intended as a "specific trumps general" by including it in striker talents, but I can see how that wouldn't be clear.

So I am openly stating that the two do stack.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlienFromBeyond View Post
    Q183: If I'm using an admixture feat such as Ghostly Admixture with a destructive blast that does nonlethal damage, would the save DC bonus from the Heavy Hand feat affect the secondary sphere effect, in this case the Ghost Strike? Similarly, would the save penalty from Cascade Failure work for the admixtured sphere effect, or having the base destructive blast be an electric blast? My guess is maybe to the former, and most likely not to the latter. Basically, how connected or independent are the sphere effects when using an Admixture feat? As the rules text implies that other the the CL difference for the spheres the admixture is basically an ad-hoc combined sphere effect.
    A183: Feats that effect destructive blast are not intended to apply to the admixtured effects. Heavy hand and cascade failure are only intended to apply to the destruction side of the admixture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oulana View Post
    Okay, guess a new week and new questions from me :P

Q184 If you take the martial shifter archetype, I'm assuming you can still choose to drop feats 1,5,9,13&17 for Proficient martial talent progression or all of them for Adept? Since the blended training ability is a modification to magic talents ability and not a true martial talent progression. So my question is if you did that could martial talents be used to buy magic talents same as magic could buy martial? Like if I wanted to get an Adept progress and only choose 6 martial spheres/talents and used the other 4 for extra magic spheres/talents.

Q185 Taking the Familiar archetype for a conjuration companion does make it count as an actual familiar for feats and abilities that work on or through a familiar? I know it would not gain any of the powers of a traditional familiar (unless it does and just isn't mentioned which would be neat too)
    A184: Blended training precludes feat buy-in for a progression.

A185: It is not stated to count, but it would be reasonable to allow some. I don't know off the top of my head what there would be that isn't covered by Conjuration talents. If it doesn't overlap with a talent and doesn't do anything weird when applied to a Conjuration companion I would personally be inclined to allow it, but it should be done case by case. Something like improved familiar plain doesn't work and something like evolved familiar I would be inclined to require using a similar talent.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by N. Jolly View Post
    A 182: I could swear I've answered this before, but the intention was that they do stack, which was intended as a "specific trumps general" by including it in striker talents, but I can see how that wouldn't be clear.

So I am openly stating that the two do stack.
    Thank you very much! I wanted to make a Black Powder Brawler, and myself and my DM were both a bit flabbergasted by that.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    A184: Blended training precludes feat buy-in for a progression.

A185: It is not stated to count, but it would be reasonable to allow some. I don't know off the top of my head what there would be that isn't covered by Conjuration talents. If it doesn't overlap with a talent and doesn't do anything weird when applied to a Conjuration companion I would personally be inclined to allow it, but it should be done case by case. Something like improved familiar plain doesn't work and something like evolved familiar I would be inclined to require using a similar talent.
    Thank you ^^

Thought of a couple more questions regarding Conjuration sphere

Q186 The Boon Bound Creature companion says you may choose it's type without gaining any of the benefits of said type. I'm assuming though it can still take a Type talent that matches your desired type for it and gain the benefits or is that suppose to imply it can't buy a type talent? I was a little confused since the conjurer's handbook has the new type talents and I noticed it had a later publishing date than the player's guide to skybourne.

Q187 How does Amorphous Creature work for permanently summoned companions? Such as the Incanter's 20th level ability to permanently conjurer a companion or the Boon Bound Creature. Can they change base forms by just spending the normal spell point cost to summon them and like shapeshifting on the spot (kind of how I thought the talent worked before reading) or is it a worthless form to such a companion?

Q188 Can a companion with multiple altered size talents and the variable size feat selectively suppress it's talents? Like if you gave it 2 altered sizes to reduce to Tiny size, can it choose to only suppress 1 of the talents and only grow back to small instead of all the way to Medium? or could you give it the talent twice but buy one as a shrink and one as a grow (equaling default Medium size again since they stack) but then suppress one or the other to allow it to vary between Small through Large sizes?

Q189 What happens with the companion from Bound Creature and conjuration sphere drawback Solitary Summons? Is the bound creature considered summoned since it can't be dismissed and that allows you to summon 1 companion the normal way or would that be one you just couldn't take while having the Boon?

Q190 How do modifiers to caster level that state they cannot be raised higher than your current character and unlimited modifiers to caster level stack together? I figured they would be a wash and you just lost the extras but then I seen the expanded caster level chart in the Conjurer's Handbook. Would a lvl 20 character that's multiclassed in Sphere Sorcerer and another magic user class that ended up with a lvl 15 caster level using conjuration as focus sphere and the Boon Companion (form) have a caster level of 20 for 1 companion and 16 for the rest or would she have 21 for the boon companion?

Q191 and a random Alteration question for good measure. The Fusion talent states that the two minds are present within the combined body. It says only one can control the body but what about strictly mental actions? if you merged an enemy hoping to limit their actions but one was a psychic tradition without any verbal, somatic or material components would he be able to to take a standard action to use his sphere powers while the other one continued to steer the body around or could he continue to hold concentration on a spell or ability that needs concentration?
    Last edited by Oulana; 2018-08-23 at 02:24 PM.

12. - Top - End - #312

Q192: I've been wondering about Silence.

You may place an illusion on a creature or in an area that negates sound. The creature (or creatures standing in the area of effect) makes no noise, and cannot perform verbal components of any skill or magic. Creatures in an area of silence are immune to sonic or language-based attacks, spells, and effects, and gain a +4 bonus to Stealth checks.
    Do I read it correctly that being in an area of Silence provides additional effects beyond being affected by Silence individually? It seems strange that there is a distinction. At least the Stealth bonus should be applied to individuals as well.
    Last edited by EldritchWeaver; 2018-08-22 at 10:20 AM.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

13. - Top - End - #313

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.Gibson View Post
    Your bonus is added to a 1d20. When using the barrier, class level effectively replaces BAB while CAM replaces Strength. The +10 is there to replace size bonuses (since the size of the barrier can vary) and because the barrier is supposed to be slower but harder to resist. Note that it can't push as far as a creature usually can. It's true the numbers might lag a bit as you level, but you can also make the barrier bigger to hit more enemies :)
    Honestly, I think this is overpowered, at least at low levels where that +10 equates to almost an auto-success. The barrier isn't really slower than many characters either; lots of races have slow movement speed, wear medium or heavy armor, or carry a medium or higher load. Too late to really change it now, but I think a scaling bonus would've been more appropriate.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Halfling in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

entirely possible these have been asked before in the old SoM thread but.

Q193: Would monk's robe affect the damage of an unarmed sphere user? It makes your unarmed damage count as higher level monk, or monk of lvl 5 if you're not one. If not, would it be possible to make some manner of item that would accomplish similar damage increasing effect for unarmed sphere user. This would if nothing else, allow unarmed users to splash into other spheres a little without lowering their expected damage results.

Q194: When you're using the open hand axe kick talent and get 1.5 str modifier to damage, do you use standard power attack damage (2 per -1) or the (3 per -1) one that you'd use for any other attack that deals 1.5 strength modifier damage.

Q195: If you use dual wielding sphere in conjuction with unarmed strikes with striker, does your rapid pummel attack receive total of -2 penalty or -4 penalty. (-4 and -6 with the advanced pummeling you get later on as option).

(also I don't think my previous questions Q45 and 46 were ever answered)
    Last edited by Xararion; 2018-08-26 at 09:16 PM.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xararion View Post
    entirely possible these have been asked before in the old SoM thread but.

Q193: Would monk's robe affect the damage of an unarmed sphere user? It makes your unarmed damage count as higher level monk, or monk of lvl 5 if you're not one. If not, would it be possible to make some manner of item that would accomplish similar damage increasing effect for unarmed sphere user. This would if nothing else, allow unarmed users to splash into other spheres a little without lowering their expected damage results.

Q194: When you're using the open hand axe kick talent and get 1.5 str modifier to damage, do you use standard power attack damage (2 per -1) or the (3 per -1) one that you'd use for any other attack that deals 1.5 strength modifier damage.

Q195: If you use dual wielding sphere in conjuction with unarmed strikes with striker, does your rapid pummel attack receive total of -2 penalty or -4 penalty. (-4 and -6 with the advanced pummeling you get later on as option).

(also I don't think my previous questions Q45 and 46 were ever answered)
    First, I'm not a dev. I'm just interpreting the rules.

A45 - That looks like an editing mistake. I imagine (dark) is supposed to be (darkness)

A46 - I've no idea, this is a dev question.

A193 - I believe it would be the greater of Pracitioner Unarmed Damage as per the table in this section or 1 size larger than a level 5 monk (also from mentioned above section).

A194 - No, it does not help your Power Attack as you are not using a two-handed weapon. It works similarly to Dragon Style/Ferocity.

A195 - Dual Attack's penalty only affects the two attacks it generates. Striker's Rapid Pummel is not one of those attacks. So if you used Dual Attack and Rapid Pummel, you would spend your standard action to make an attack action to get attacks at -2/-2 and a swift action to get an attack at -2. The first and last attacks get full strength damage, the second Dual Attack attack gets only 1/2 strength damage.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Barbarian in the Playground

*A193* Not a dev, but if there’s no official ruling I’d go with having it count as 1 or 2 extra unarmed talents for determining damage for Monks, Brawlers, and Strikers, and grant the effective size increase to anyone else

17. - Top - End - #317

DruidGuy

Q196

Shrapnel Blast deals bleed damage according to the number of dice rolled.
    That means that if I cast an explosive orb an CL 8, even if affected creatures pass their Ref save, they'll suffer 8 bleed.
    Similarly, if I get a critical with the normal blast, the target will suffer 16 bleed ('cause I'll roll double amount of dice).

Is that the intended result of the blast's wording?

18. - Top - End - #318

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by ICN View Post
    Honestly, I think this is overpowered, at least at low levels where that +10 equates to almost an auto-success. The barrier isn't really slower than many characters either; lots of races have slow movement speed, wear medium or heavy armor, or carry a medium or higher load. Too late to really change it now, but I think a scaling bonus would've been more appropriate.
    Could be. It's one of those things that is as good as the GM allows it to be.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Q197: Does the bonus damage from Deadly Shot make Vital Strike do more damage? For instance if I use a Shortbow and attack and do 1d6 damage normally Vital Strike would do 2d6 damage. Would Deadly Shot (with expended martial focus and Vital Strike at level 6) do 2d6+4d10 or just 2d6+2d10?
    Last edited by Drakthor; 2018-08-31 at 02:28 PM.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    Q196

Shrapnel Blast deals bleed damage according to the number of dice rolled.
    That means that if I cast an explosive orb an CL 8, even if affected creatures pass their Ref save, they'll suffer 8 bleed.
    Similarly, if I get a critical with the normal blast, the target will suffer 16 bleed ('cause I'll roll double amount of dice).

Is that the intended result of the blast's wording?
    A196: The talent should have stated that if a save halves the damage, the bleed is halved. Doubling it on a crit should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakthor View Post
    Q197: Does the bonus damage from Deadly Shot make Vital Strike do more damage? For instance if I use a Shortbow and attack and do 1d6 damage normally Vital Strike would do 2d6 damage. Would Deadly Shot (with expended martial focus and Vital Strike at level 6) do 2d6+4d10 or just 2d6+2d10?
    A197: No, bonus damage from deadly shot doesn't boost vital strike.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    A197: No, bonus damage from deadly shot doesn't boost vital strike.
    Q197a: Really? Deadly Shot with Vital Strike already isn't competitive with regular archery or Barrage (until very high ACs but not 20s to hit). I thought the "Special Attack Action" was still an Attack Action, and thus, would trigger Vital Strike. Losing Vital Strike damage really hurts the snipers. Spending a Standard Action with a Hornbow to do 2d6+6d10+17. 57 Damage at level 20 isn't scary, especially when Barrage is putting up 5 2d6+17 arrows (120 dmg). Vital Strike takes the Deadly Shot up to 78. It's something at least. And all of this is with the Hornbow. The disparity grows with smaller weapons.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RedMop View Post
    Q197a: Really? Deadly Shot with Vital Strike already isn't competitive with regular archery or Barrage (until very high ACs but not 20s to hit). I thought the "Special Attack Action" was still an Attack Action, and thus, would trigger Vital Strike. Losing Vital Strike damage really hurts the snipers. Spending a Standard Action with a Hornbow to do 2d6+6d10+17. 57 Damage at level 20 isn't scary, especially when Barrage is putting up 5 2d6+17 arrows (120 dmg). Vital Strike takes the Deadly Shot up to 78. It's something at least. And all of this is with the Hornbow. The disparity grows with smaller weapons.
    As far as I understand it (and this is what stack probably intended to convey), you can use vital strike and deadly shot together, but vital strike does not increase the bonus damage from deadly shot (just as it wouldn't increase the damage from, say, the flaming property). So, with the shortbow example, you would do 2d6+2d10.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 198

How do you guys feel about the balance of the sage? I ask because my playgroup sees it as overly strong but I wanted to get some designer input on where you all see the class, how you think it should be palyed and if you think it needs any changing going forward.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Q 199 Bound creatures aren't outsiders anymore (well, unless you decide it to be), but can they be Banished by Mageknight or Incanter abilities (or the vanilla spells)? And what about the Spell Ward talent from Protection Sphere?

25. - Top - End - #325

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by freduncio View Post
    Q 199 Bound creatures aren't outsiders anymore (well, unless you decide it to be), but can they be Banished by Mageknight or Incanter abilities (or the vanilla spells)? And what about the Spell Ward talent from Protection Sphere?
    A199: I'm not totally clear myself, TBQH, but the general idea is that there are two kinds of conjured creature: called (teleported from another plane of existence) or summoned (spontaneously created). Summoned creatures can be dispelled (because they are magic) but called creatures can not be - it would like casting a spell that forces a character to walk home. Banishment is an entirely different animal; it is a teleportation ability that only works on non-native outsiders (usually). It sends called creatures home...not certain about summoned creatures.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Thx

Q 200 The Troubador's Mentor Quirk, Divine Nature states that you gain a domain from the Cleric list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine Nature
    Gain a cleric domain of your choice, treating your troubadour levels as cleric levels for this purpose. You do not gain the higher level domain power. If you already possess this domain through another class, these levels stack when determining the power of this domain.
    That means they also gain the bonus spells (in the sphere system, the bonus talents)?

27. - Top - End - #327

ClericGirl

Q 201 Is it correct that when using Animalistic Transformation, you cannot actually attach claws to the front legs? Seems weird to me.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q202 The Draw Cut talent of the Duelist sphere. Is the disarm/sunder/feint attempt made before or after the attack? Obviously the feint is most useful before, but the others could be useful either way.2
    Q203 Can Draw cut be combined with a Counter Punch?
    When in doubt, homebrew.
    If that doesn't work, use more homebrew.

Need more homebrew? Check out my Extended Homebrewer's Signature!

29. - Top - End - #329
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

A202 The Disarm/Sunder/Feint attempt requires the attack to be successful, so I think only after the attack.

A203 That's IMO, but the look both like options to the Ready Action, and so, like you can't ready an spell and a melee attack with the same action, can't be combined.

30. - Top - End - #330

*Q204:* Sorry if this is dumb, but could somone explain how breaking objects works for Blacksmiths? It’s my understanding that you can’t sunder an unattended object (no CMD to contest), so do they still get the bonus damage, or any advantage at all? What’s the difference between breaking objects and attacking them anyway?
    Last edited by Dr_Dinosaur; 2018-09-06 at 08:15 PM.