New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Drop Dead Studios Ask Me Anything #3

Quote Originally Posted by Minion #6 View Post
    Q264: Is Growling Marauder compatible with Urban Skald? And if not, would it be fair to let them be? I'm not sure if there Sphere archetype rules invalidate the proficiency modification conflict.
    A264: No because both Growling Marauder and Urban Skald replace the Damage Reduction class feature. It would probably be fine to allow just keep in mind that Urban Skald does have some defensive ability that Skald normally wouldn't have with Growling Marauder due to the dodge bonus to AC for being near allies

2. - Top - End - #452
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAsmadi View Post
    Q263 there's something about two of the new Archetypes of Power archetypes that's confusing me - in exchange for ten talents, a Bastion of Conviction Warpriest loses five bonus combat feats, whereas in exchange for fifteen talents, a Soldier of the Gods Inquisitor only loses Solo Tactics and six bonus teamwork feats - given how bad most teamwork feats are (even with Solo Tactics), it seems like Warpriests are getting a bit of a rough deal? What's the logic behind that?
    This came up so in the playtest (I think even in the gitp thread as well), and I'll state it again
    -when I do trades, I use the 'original cost' of the feature, not the actual value of the feature. For example, a ranger has Endurance at 3rd level, but this is considered a feat when traded out, even though Endurance is kinda bad
    -several other archetypes trade out teamwork feats for other things worth a feat
    -feats are worth feats, I'm not going to start assigning fractions to things, it's not an exact science anyways
    -the main reason bonus teamwork feats suck is because most of the teamwork feats printed suck; paizo could print some awesome teamwork feats tomorrow and then everyone would think they're amazing
    -inquisitor loses 6 feats, solo tactics, and the ability to retrain their latest feat as a standard (which would be amazing if there were more feats)
    -the War sphere talents Hammer and Anvil and Tactical Totem make teamwork feats easily shared, increasing their value in SoP campaigns
    -runesinger has much weirder math

Quote Originally Posted by Minion #6 View Post
    Q264: Is Growling Marauder compatible with Urban Skald? And if not, would it be fair to let them be? I'm not sure if there Sphere archetype rules invalidate the proficiency modification conflict.
    Both archetypes modify damage reduction (called damage resistance in the AoP book, oops), so no.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 267

If derek the shaman uses companion merger to merge with his wolf animal companion, does he also grant a transformation while doing this or is the companion merging the transformation/shapeshift as per the alteration sphere?

4. - Top - End - #454
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    A266: Yes, they still save.

I have to say, the emergent properties of this system are amazing. "I am a sentient weapon wielded by my imaginary friend."
    So I assume they save even if the spirit blade is actively possessing the companion and attacking, right?

Also if you think that one is interesting just you wait, these are just my lead-in questions, I have a lot more interesting ideas about conjuration companions and the possession ability.
    Last edited by dude123nice; 2018-10-17 at 03:38 AM.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Orc in the Playground

Well it’s been another while. Time for asking new and re-asking old questions!

Q 268

How does the Transformation feat line interact with options that grant additional traits when using a specific form, such as favored form?

Q 269

Energy Blade says that you make an attack as part of casting it. Does improved Energy Blade then allow an attack as part of it's swift action? Can you IEB then cast EB to do double damage? Can a stoneblast EB be used inside an antimagic field? Does killing something with an Energyblade (or other weapon+spell combo) trigger Lifetaker?

Q 270

Is Mass Command limited to spells that can only be used on willing targets, or it is essentially a Mass talent for all buffs, even from spheres that do not have a native mass talent? When I cast from a scroll or wand, can I use Mass/Ranged Command?

And some old ones, with minor edits for clarity and because I need to stop posting at midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuneymg View Post

Q243

Was shaped anathema supposed to be have a save DC 10 + 1/2 the dice rolled instead of 10 + dice rolled? The latter is essentially 10+level instead of the more normal 10+1/2 level.

Q 219

A question on intention. Was Freeze meant to scale down exponentially? It currently says to halve the thickness of the ice for each additional medium-equivalent creature, and that a large creature is 2 mediums, a huge creature is 2 larges, etc. Meaning a huge creature is 4 mediums and that that you divide the thickness in half 3 times for 1/8th normal. A Gargantuan creature would be 8 mediums and divide the thickness in half seven times (1/128), and a colossal would be 16 mediums and divide the ice in half 15 times (1/32768). Was the intention to divide it evenly by the number of equivalent medium characters?

Q 220

A question on intention. From what I can tell, Alchemy formula are just thrown splash weapons (except for fuse grenade, which is a standard action to use.) Meaning that, with [fastdraw] or similar abilities, you can full attack + haste + rapid shot + two-weapon fight with them, allowing you to, for example, toss 8 improved alchemist flasks at +11 bab with the right feat selection. It seems you can also barrage or sniper sphere with them. In addition, it seems you can vital strike with these items as well. How much of this is intended and/or actually a rule?

6. - Top - End - #456
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dude123nice View Post
    Also if you think that one is interesting just you wait, these are just my lead-in questions, I have a lot more interesting ideas about conjuration companions and the possession ability.
    Haha my imagination is going wild with the Spirit Blade Armorist, too. I've been trying to figure out ways for a permanent weapon form Spirit Blade to move on its own without always having to concentrate on lifting itself through Telekinesis (or spending the SP for Sustained Force). One option I have found is the Kinetic Drift (Protokinesis) feat. It requires Counterweight (Protokinesis), which is useless to you since you never stand on anything at all, but the effect of Kinetic Drift seems to me that it allows you to hover with a speed of 30ft, and it doesn't matter whether you had any kind of base speed at all (which you don't, in weapon form). But, while that allows you to move around, as far as I can tell you still have no way to "wield" yourself except as a Bludgeon, using Telekinesis (which precludes attack actions and, therefore, most stuff from SoM).

Which leads me to a question for stack to clarify intent, just for my own sanity:

Q271 Is it correct that there is no intended way for the Spirit Blade in weapon form to make attacks using its own weapon form, unless it is wielded by another creature or lifted and used as a bludgeon via Telekinesis? I keep picturing animated objects with their slam attacks...but the weapon form isn't treated like an animated object, just an object. Right?

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tariyan Draegr View Post
    Q 267

If derek the shaman uses companion merger to merge with his wolf animal companion, does he also grant a transformation while doing this or is the companion merging the transformation/shapeshift as per the alteration sphere?
    A267: You do not apply an additional transformation in addition to the merger.
    Quote Originally Posted by dude123nice View Post
    So I assume they save even if the spirit blade is actively possessing the companion and attacking, right?

Correct.
    I look forward to further questions with interest and trepidation.
    Well it’s been another while. Time for asking new and re-asking old questions!

Q 268

How does the Transformation feat line interact with options that grant additional traits when using a specific form, such as favored form?
    A268: They don't interact. The ability granted by transformation isn't modified by talents and feats that modify shapeshift.
    Q 269

Energy Blade says that you make an attack as part of casting it. Does improved Energy Blade then allow an attack as part of it's swift action? Can you IEB then cast EB to do double damage? Can a stoneblast EB be used inside an antimagic field? Does killing something with an Energyblade (or other weapon+spell combo) trigger Lifetaker?
    A269:Improved energy blade makes an attack an energy blade, allowing you to add it in to one attack in a full attack.

A269.1:You can't add energy blade to an attack that is already an energy blade, so no double-dipping.

A269.2:As far as I understand anti-magic fields, you can't cast inside them and energy blade is still casting, though you would be able to cast outside and deliver inside, either by holding the charge or just using your natural reach, a reach weapon, or a ranged weapon.

A269.3:Life taker requires a weapon attack; I think it would qualify but I would want to check with my co-authors before making that official. It qualifies.
    Last edited by stack; 2018-10-17 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Confirming concensus of devs

8. - Top - End - #458
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q219
    Was Freeze meant to scale down logarithmically? It currently says to halve the thickness of the ice for each additional medium-equivalent creature, and that a large creature is 2 mediums, a huge creature is 2 larges, etc. Meaning a huge creature is 4 mediums and that that you divide the thickness in half 3 times for 1/8th normal. A Gargantuan creature would be 8 mediums and divide the thickness in half seven times (1/128), and a colossal would be 16 mediums and divide the ice in half 15 times (1/32768). Was the intention to divide it evenly by the number of equivalent medium characters?
    A219
    Freeze is intended to have its ice thickness divided by the number of equivalent medium-sized creatures. So you would divide the ice thickness on a colossal-sized creature by 16 (not 32,768).

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keante View Post
    Haha my imagination is going wild with the Spirit Blade Armorist, too. I've been trying to figure out ways for a permanent weapon form Spirit Blade to move on its own without always having to concentrate on lifting itself through Telekinesis (or spending the SP for Sustained Force). One option I have found is the Kinetic Drift (Protokinesis) feat. It requires Counterweight (Protokinesis), which is useless to you since you never stand on anything at all, but the effect of Kinetic Drift seems to me that it allows you to hover with a speed of 30ft, and it doesn't matter whether you had any kind of base speed at all (which you don't, in weapon form). But, while that allows you to move around, as far as I can tell you still have no way to "wield" yourself except as a Bludgeon, using Telekinesis (which precludes attack actions and, therefore, most stuff from SoM).
    Kinetic Drift doesn't really give you a movement speed or an ability to move yourself. What it does is 1) allow you to hover rather than walk on the ground, and 2) allow you fine control over your falling direction and speed. I assume its this second part that you're misinterpreting. Basically, when you fall, you fall 30 feet each round instead of the normal amount. On top of that, you can add 30 feet of movement in any direction. This allows you to glide in any direction, or even hover in place rather than fall. However, you have to be falling to do that, and the way it works out, you can't both move in a chosen direction and stop falling entirely. If you want to move anywhere, you also have to fall down, at least a little. So... if you want to move around using only Kinetic Drift, you have to be falling indefinitely. Its not super viable.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

Edited my response above to clarify that energy blade and life drinker work together.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AmberVael View Post
    Kinetic Drift doesn't really give you a movement speed or an ability to move yourself. What it does is 1) allow you to hover rather than walk on the ground, and 2) allow you fine control over your falling direction and speed. I assume its this second part that you're misinterpreting. Basically, when you fall, you fall 30 feet each round instead of the normal amount. On top of that, you can add 30 feet of movement in any direction. This allows you to glide in any direction, or even hover in place rather than fall. However, you have to be falling to do that, and the way it works out, you can't both move in a chosen direction and stop falling entirely. If you want to move anywhere, you also have to fall down, at least a little. So... if you want to move around using only Kinetic Drift, you have to be falling indefinitely. Its not super viable.
    Darn it, you're right.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q272: For the Wraith's Path of the Poltergeist, are you still unable to passively possess unattended objects without Object Rider?
    Last edited by Fallenreality; 2018-10-17 at 01:34 PM.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fallenreality View Post
    Q272: For the Wraith's Path of the Poltergeist, are you still unable to passively possess unattended objects without Object Rider?
    A272: That is correct.

14. - Top - End - #464

MindFlayer

Q 270
    Is Mass Command limited to spells that can only be used on willing targets, or it is essentially a Mass talent for all buffs, even from spheres that do not have a native mass talent? When I cast from a scroll or wand, can I use Mass/Ranged Command?
    These only target members of your squadron, and your squadron is made up of allies. Though Squadron Commander doesn't actually state you stop being a mmeber of squadron if you stop being allies, so some GM ruling my be required if someone switches sides or gets mind controlled.

Q243
    Was shaped anathema supposed to be have a save DC 10 + 1/2 the dice rolled instead of 10 + dice rolled? The latter is essentially 10+level instead of the more normal 10+1/2 level.
    Yes, it should be half. Not certain how this happened. Probably because early versions of anathema did half as much damage at-will, and then you spent your positive energy resource to increase the dice to full.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAsmadi View Post
    Q263 there's something about two of the new Archetypes of Power archetypes that's confusing me - in exchange for ten talents, a Bastion of Conviction Warpriest loses five bonus combat feats, whereas in exchange for fifteen talents, a Soldier of the Gods Inquisitor only loses Solo Tactics and six bonus teamwork feats - given how bad most teamwork feats are (even with Solo Tactics), it seems like Warpriests are getting a bit of a rough deal? What's the logic behind that?

I didn't write it, but teamwork feats when you have a class feature like Solo Tactics or Tactician are some of the best options available outside of actual magic. The inquisitor is definitely paying a much more severe price than the warpriest in that situation, so the exchange rate seems about right. Those teamwork feats and Solo Tactics the inquisitor is giving up could have given him significant bonuses to his saving throws, bonuses to his CMB, extra action economy, the ability to avoid attacks of opportunity for movement, etc.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q273: Is there any way to make the Telekinesis Sphere's bludgeons work with Combat Spheres?

17. - Top - End - #467
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

With how PF2 is shaping up, is there any chance that DDS would go their own way in continuing to develop the Spheres system into its own d20 game? I love what you guys do and would have full confidence in this, as I personally am not a fan of the direction Paizo seems to be going with PF2.

PS: Not looking to turn this thread into a PF2 discussion, as that way lies madness, just looking for the devs thought on this.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ettin in the Playground

Q274: Why does the Cleric [Faithful Shepard] archetype have Divine Works at 1st level? I mean, I know that it's replacing Spontaneous Casting, but it makes all the even levels dead levels and the odd ones with two different "every other level" class features. I mean, it's not unheard of to trade a feature for something that you get at a different level. And if that didn't work, why not one a 1st, one at 2nd and every two levels thereafter? The slew of dead levels is disconcerting, especially since you lose the "alternating between new spell level and improved channel damage" the original has.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

19. - Top - End - #469

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Q274: Why does the Cleric [Faithful Shepard] archetype have Divine Works at 1st level? I mean, I know that it's replacing Spontaneous Casting, but it makes all the even levels dead levels and the odd ones with two different "every other level" class features. I mean, it's not unheard of to trade a feature for something that you get at a different level. And if that didn't work, why not one a 1st, one at 2nd and every two levels thereafter? The slew of dead levels is disconcerting, especially since you lose the "alternating between new spell level and improved channel damage" the original has.
    A274 Mostly because the original cleric has dead even levels as well (no channel energy, no new spell level). Changing it to even levels would probably have been a good idea if I had thought of it at the time.

20. - Top - End - #470

SamuraiGuy

Q275:
    Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller_Arc View Post
    I have the equivalent of level 30 Paladin vancian casting. If I take a level from a Sphere's of Power class, such as the Incanter. What is my Sphere's of Power caster level? I see three possible options from this.

1. As I have caster level 30 already, I am caster level 30 for Spheres of Power.
    2. As I have 30 levels in Paladin casting, I gain the equivalent in Spheres of Power. A Paladin is a low-level caster or 1/2 level. Therefore, I gain caster level 15.
    3. It doesn't matter that I have 30 levels in Vatican Casting, I only have 1 level in Sphere's of Power casting, so I have a caster level of 1.
    (30th level tristalt game, but this could apply to anything.)
    Last edited by JMS; 2018-10-18 at 07:56 AM.
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    Q275:
    (30th level tristalt game, but this could apply to anything.)
    A275: CL1. Your vancian caster level is irrelevant. You could take the Advanced Magical Training feat to count your other levels as low caster levels, so if you are paladin 30/incanter 1, you would have CL16 ((non-spherecaster 30)/2 + 1 incanter). Or retrain something into a sphere archetype.

22. - Top - End - #472

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    A275: CL1. Your vancian caster level is irrelevant. You could take the Advanced Magical Training feat to count your other levels as low caster levels, so if you are paladin 30/incanter 1, you would have CL16 ((non-spherecaster 30)/2 + 1 incanter). Or retrain something into a sphere archetype.
    Thank you, that is what I thought, the other player had a different opinion
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

23. - Top - End - #473
    Orc in the Playground

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2018-10-19 at 11:14 AM.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ettin in the Playground

Q276: For a Stalt game how would you figure Caster Level for non-high casters? I saw the answer for Elementalist || Incanter but what about Elementalist || Eliciter?

What about Fighter 1/Mageknight 19 || Armorist 20 or some other combination where a caster level increases at a different rate than the other side?

Likewise am I correct in assuming you take that number and add it to a casting modifier once? There's no "take 7 classes, get modifier 7 times!" shenanigans? The only time you double up is on the casting traditions bonus spell points and that's only once and not 7 times?
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

Your understanding is appreciated.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fallenreality View Post
    Q273: Is there any way to make the Telekinesis Sphere's bludgeons work with Combat Spheres?
    A273: The closest you can get is the Vector. That only happens in Kinetic Overload, and only with the extra attacks granted by Brute, Scoundrel, and Wrestling spheres. Other than that, no.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gunhaven View Post
    Q276: For a Stalt game how would you figure Caster Level for non-high casters? I saw the answer for Elementalist || Incanter but what about Elementalist || Eliciter?

What about Fighter 1/Mageknight 19 || Armorist 20 or some other combination where a caster level increases at a different rate than the other side?

Likewise am I correct in assuming you take that number and add it to a casting modifier once? There's no "take 7 classes, get modifier 7 times!" shenanigans? The only time you double up is on the casting traditions bonus spell points and that's only once and not 7 times?
    A276

There are no official rules for gestalt spheres, but my suggestion would be the following:

For determining CL, you total up the CL on each side of your gestalt, then pick the higher one. So an Elementalist//Eliciter would be a straight up mid caster, and Fighter 1/Mageknight 19//Armorist 20 would be a straight up low caster. In my experience, people misunderstand how gestalt and multiclassing work (since multiclassing really isn't covered much by gestalt rules).
    It becomes a little easier to grasp if you use fractional rules, in which case you view a level in fullcaster as adding 1 CL, a midcaster as adding 3/4 CL, and a lowcaster as adding 1/2 CL. Staggering CL progressions doesn't actually raise your total CL, just like staggering BAB progressions doesn't raise your total BAB (like with Fighter 1/Wizard 19 // Sorcerer 20, you wouldn't actually end up with 20 BAB).

Also, yes, no matter how many spell pools you gain, you only add a modifier once. Now, I'm inclined to bend that rule in gestalt if you have two casting progressions (allowing you to add two modifiers to your spell pool if you gestalt two spherecaster classes) but multiclassing into seven spherecaster classes won't give you 7 modifier bonuses to your spell pool.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2018-10-18 at 12:15 PM.

27. - Top - End - #477

Quote Originally Posted by Gunhaven View Post

A276

There are no official rules for gestalt spheres, but my suggestion would be the following:

For determining CL, you total up the CL on each side of your gestalt, then pick the higher one. So an Elementalist//Eliciter would be a straight up mid caster, and Fighter 1/Mageknight 19//Armorist 20 would be a straight up low caster. In my experience, people misunderstand how gestalt and multiclassing work (since multiclassing really isn't covered much by gestalt rules).
    It becomes a little easier to grasp if you use fractional rules, in which case you view a level in fullcaster as adding 1 CL, a midcaster as adding 3/4 CL, and a lowcaster as adding 1/2 CL. Staggering CL progressions doesn't actually raise your total CL, just like staggering BAB progressions doesn't raise your total BAB (like with Fighter 1/Wizard 19 // Sorcerer 20, you wouldn't actually end up with 20 BAB).

Also, yes, no matter how many spell pools you gain, you only add a modifier once. Now, I'm inclined to bend that rule in gestalt if you have two casting progressions (allowing you to add two modifiers to your spell pool if you gestalt two spherecaster classes) but multiclassing into seven spherecaster classes won't give you 7 modifier bonuses to your spell pool.
    A276 I agree w/ AmberVael that an Elementalist//Eliciter would be a mid-caster, w/ high-caster in Destruction and Mind; a fighter 1/mageknight 19//armorist 20 would have a CL 10. You can find unofficial gestalt rules on the spheres wiki.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

A276
    Unless you multiclass into Sage, then you can double dip on Wisdom, but it's a total of twice at most.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q277: Can anyone give me a quick rundown on how the extra damage from Perforating Wounds is supposed to work? Does it stack every time you deal more bleed damage to an already bleeding target? Does it only trigger when the bleed itself does damage?

Q278: Can a Wraith with Somatic Casting cast while passively possessing something?
    Last edited by Fallenreality; 2018-10-18 at 09:19 PM.

30. - Top - End - #480

Quote Originally Posted by Aipaca View Post
    With how PF2 is shaping up, is there any chance that DDS would go their own way in continuing to develop the Spheres system into its own d20 game? I love what you guys do and would have full confidence in this, as I personally am not a fan of the direction Paizo seems to be going with PF2.

PS: Not looking to turn this thread into a PF2 discussion, as that way lies madness, just looking for the devs thought on this.
    I've asked that question before and the answer at this point is: If it makes economically sense. And even if such a project is greenlit at some point, how a Spherefinder would look like is quite vague. Alone for skills I can see three different approaches: Keep the current skill point system (maybe consolidate skills), use the 2e proficiency system (maybe retune it), create an own sphere-based system. All those choices aren't in a vacuum either: The more different it is, the less pull will it have with 1e crowd (unless there is an easy way to convert things), but maybe people already using spheres are more willing to jump ship systemwise. So who knows how things go.

A276

I do wonder if that is actually a correct interpretation of Gestalt. The point is that every level you compare which features of both sides you are going to keep. So IMO, a hypothetical Incanter 10//Mageknight10/Mageknight 10//Incanter 10 should retain a CL of 20 and not end up with CL 15.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"