New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Drop Dead Studios Ask Me Anything #3

Quote Originally Posted by AmberVael View Post
    I purposefully avoided Bioluminescent Transformation having an effect outside of concentration duration - by the time you've spent spell points to maintain glow or shapeshift without concentration, you're out of the purview of Bioluminescent Transformation.
    Guess that means Bioluminescent Glows are not affected by Lingering Transformation or Lingering Transformation either, despite using up one trait slot?

2. - Top - End - #512
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    Q286 The Sage's "Combat Form" esotery (Enhancer version) gives the Sage unarmed damage equal to a monk of their level. How are they supposed to make use of this damage, being that they have a 1/2 base attack bonus? Am I missing something obvious?
    A286 Not a dev, but i just built a melee enhancer sage. If you enhance your attack stat (str, or dex with a finesse build) your BAB + enhance bonus is better than a medium BAB at every level, and with spheres you usually care less about iteratives.
    Last edited by Federebus; 2018-10-27 at 08:45 AM.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Federebus View Post
    A286 Not a dev, but i just built a melee enhancer sage. If you enhance your attack stat (str, or dex with a finesse build) your BAB + enhance bonus is better than a medium BAB at every level, and with spheres you usually care less about iteratives.
    To give a little more info related to this one (also not a dev obviously), but it basically puts the sage on par with a 3/4 BAB class. The enhancer bonus starts as a +2, and ends as a +10, meaning in your attack stat its going to be a +5 to hit; meaning by the end you're getting that on top of the +10 BAB. Then with combat form you get to be counted as a full BAB for combat talents so you can take full advantage of only really needing to make a single attack action.

It ends up being fairly strong as you're effectively a 3/4 BAB character, who with the axe kick talent from open hand will be getting 1.5x str modifier damage to their unarmed strikes (2x if the target is prone) with more strength than a barbarian (you cap at +10, they cap at +8), only needing to make single attacks with full monk damage progression (or in SoM this means your unarmed strikes are treated as a size category larger when determining it from your unarmed strike spheres.) With the final piece to top it off being the chi-gong dice which is effectively a sneak attack of damage added onto any unarmed strike.

Sage at least from what i can see is basically a replacement for Monk, not 100% recreating the class, but taking many core elements and themes and just being alot better at them; similar to how Striker kinda replaces Brawler in SoM.
    Last edited by Arcueid; 2018-10-27 at 10:12 AM.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q286 The Sage's "Combat Form" esotery (Enhancer version) gives the Sage unarmed damage equal to a monk of their level. How are they supposed to make use of this damage, being that they have a 1/2 base attack bonus? Am I missing something obvious?
    They aren't well suited to just punching things directly, no. But it could be useful in a grapple, and with several of the unarmed spheres, allowing you to deal unarmed damage after or as part of maneuvers. The Maneuver Mastery esotery can help here, allowing you to treat your level as BAB for your CMB. Alternatively, the Infuser package also gets around low BAB for maneuvers, by turning it into a Reflex save instead.
    When in doubt, homebrew.
    If that doesn't work, use more homebrew.

Need more homebrew? Check out my Extended Homebrewer's Signature!

5. - Top - End - #515

ElfRangerGuy

How many creatures can I touch with a spell that is instant, has range of touch, one charge, but can affect multiple targets? And which action does it take? Say, Life sphere Cure with Mass Healing, but without Ranged Healing.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I played a Combat Form Sage! I used a combination of Enhancement and a single level dip into Whitesmith Armorist to have a +15 attack bonus at level 5. It's really good if you go all in on it.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaa View Post
    Q287 How many creatures can I touch with a spell that is instant, has range of touch, one charge, but can affect multiple targets? And which action does it take? Say, Life sphere Cure with Mass Healing, but without Ranged Healing.
    A287 Not really sure what page it is in the Core Rulebook:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.d20pfsrd.com/Magic/#TOC-Range
    Touch
    You must touch a creature or object to affect it. A touch spell that deals damage can score a critical hit just as a weapon can. A touch spell threatens a critical hit on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a successful critical hit. Some touch spells allow you to touch multiple targets. You can touch up to 6 willing targets as part of the casting, but all targets of the spell must be touched in the same round that you finish casting the spell. If the spell allows you to touch targets over multiple rounds, touching 6 creatures is a full-round action.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

A286 As others have kind of already noted (in various ways) Combat Form is an Enhancer/Infuser esotery, both of whom have their own unique ways to boost their attack, bypass their enemy's defenses, and/or debuff their enemy to target a lower number. The sage's 1/2 BAB largely serves as a mechanism to allow them to access a unique array of combat options while still being balanced and effective. The two types of sage that get automatic access to the Combat Form ability can either boost their physical prowess to a level that allows them to hit with the same accuracy and effectiveness as 3/4 BAB classes like the Inquisitor, or bypass their enemy's strongest defenses by targeting a saving throw first and then making attacks against a debuffed AC.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Q284-For the redirecting shield talent, can an opponent's Melee attack hit themself due to this talent? Is yourself a valid target for a Melee weapon?

10. - Top - End - #520
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Q288 - Am I understanding the Armorist's Spirit Blade archetype's Guide Strike ability correctly in that it allows the Spirit Blade to spend its own actions on its turn to allow its wielder to make attacks with it?

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wildmonsters View Post
    Q284-For the redirecting shield talent, can an opponent's Melee attack hit themself due to this talent? Is yourself a valid target for a Melee weapon?
    A284: Yes, you may redirect the attack to the attacking creature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saperaud View Post
    Q288 - Am I understanding the Armorist's Spirit Blade archetype's Guide Strike ability correctly in that it allows the Spirit Blade to spend its own actions on its turn to allow its wielder to make attacks with it?
    A288: Yes, the spirit blade's actions allow the wielder off-turn actions. I would suggest letting the spirit blade's player roll the attacks though, since people like rolling dice.
    Last edited by stack; 2018-10-29 at 09:42 AM.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Bugbear in the Playground

Really liking the Wraith, but have some questions about mechanics:

Q289: Can a Wraith (barring a casting tradition that adds a physical component to spellcasting) cast spells while passively possessing something? If so, how would defensive casting/concentration checks/aoos be handled?

Q290: Do magical staves grant their caster level bonus while the Wraith is possessing a target?

Q291: How do feats and supernatural abilities that affect physical form work when possessing targets? Things like Shifting Disguise, Transformation, Fox Shape, or the Kitsune/Skinwalker supernatural change shape abilities? Technically even a passively possessing wraith would have access to all of these, but it seems like a murky area. Do things change across active/passive possessing divides? How would the Witchmarked drawback from the Illusion handbook function?

Q292: For the Unbodied archetype, how do they deal with magical items? Do they need to be in physical form to equip them?

Q293: Can the Spirit Blade Armorist archetype take the Object Ride Wraith haunt? They can possess targets, but only actively, while the object ride wraith haunt grants passive possession ability.

Q294: A Wraith with the Object Ride and Ranged Possession haunts seems like they could be spectacularly difficult to kill, as they jump to random objects without warning. Any advice for reducing that, whether through existing rules or house ones?

13. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ICN View Post
    Really liking the Wraith, but have some questions about mechanics:

Q289: Can a Wraith (barring a casting tradition that adds a physical component to spellcasting) cast spells while passively possessing something? If so, how would defensive casting/concentration checks/aoos be handled?
    A289: Yes, barring drawbacks casting is a mental-only action.
    "If the wraith is concentrating on a spell or other effect and the host body is subject to an effect that would force a concentration check, the wraith makes the concentration check."
    It is difficult to target the wraith during a passive possession. Creatures aren't usually aware of you (unless your mental only action creates a display or effect), so you can't be targeted for the most part. Effects that target possessing creatures can hit you and technically you would trigger an AOO if a creature knows you are there, but mostly they won't have a way to hit you.
    Q290: Do magical staves grant their caster level bonus while the Wraith is possessing a target?
    A290: A staff you were wielding would still grant its bonus.
    Q291: How do feats and supernatural abilities that affect physical form work when possessing targets? Things like Shifting Disguise, Transformation, Fox Shape, or the Kitsune/Skinwalker supernatural change shape abilities? Technically even a passively possessing wraith would have access to all of these, but it seems like a murky area. Do things change across active/passive possessing divides? How would the Witchmarked drawback from the Illusion handbook function?
    A291: The possessed creature does not count as being the same creature as the wraith, so abilities that only target self couldn't be used on the possessed creature. The exception is Path of the Ancestor, which can count a willing possessed creature as self. I haven't picked up Illusion yet and can't seem to locate the development draft, so can't comment on witchmarked.
    Q292: For the Unbodied archetype, how do they deal with magical items? Do they need to be in physical form to equip them?
    A292: Yes, you manifest to take them into your possession. Being in possession should be sufficient to take it with you if putting it on takes longer than your manifested time (donning armor).
    Q293: Can the Spirit Blade Armorist archetype take the Object Ride Wraith haunt? They can possess targets, but only actively, while the object ride wraith haunt grants passive possession ability.
    A293: No, the spirit blade can only possess its wielder, so object ride wouldn't apply.
    Q294: A Wraith with the Object Ride and Ranged Possession haunts seems like they could be spectacularly difficult to kill, as they jump to random objects without warning. Any advice for reducing that, whether through existing rules or house ones?
    A294: You burn a spell point each time and are limited to the actions you can take while passively possessing. Killing you would be annoying (barring a blacksmith with berserker sphere shattering the objects, leaving you expelled, dazed, and damaged. Force effects (Protection's barrier ward) will also stop you from going anywhere. If it was being abused, I would consider making multiple possessions in rapid succession strenuous, forcing escalating saves against fatigue maybe? I suppose the ranged possession haunt does not specify if the wraith travels to the target as part of the possession or accomplishes the effect at range (essentially teleporting inside the target); traveling to the target in some form would allow for the possibility of AOOs. Probably need to patch that one way or another.
    Last edited by stack; 2018-10-30 at 08:17 AM.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Q295 Shadow Boxer's Shadow Boxing ability allows him to threaten and make AoOs with the extra range?

15. - Top - End - #525

Thanks for the quick response! Having a lot of fun making this character.
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    A291: The possessed creature does not count as being the same creature as the wraith, so abilities that only target self couldn't be used on the possessed creature. The exception is Path of the Ancestor, which can count a willing possessed creature as self. I haven't picked up Illusion yet and can't seem to locate the development draft, so can't comment on witchmarked.
    So to be clear, if a Wraith with the Path of the Ancestor is possessing a willing target, they could activate those feats/racial abilities, whether they're actively or passively possessing them? And here's the text for Witchmarked, and one of the alternate racial traits that grant it; it's a bit early, but it's only a very small part of the illusion handbook so I'm guessing it's alright.
    Spoiler: Witchmarked
    Show

Some aspect of your characteristics is a dead giveaway about your magical nature. This could be any purely cosmetic modification or sensation that is hard to hide such as a vestigial tail (or tails), glowing eyes, an aura visible to the naked eye or the stench of death clinging to you. The intensity of this trait grows proportional to your power. You take your caster level as a circumstance penalty to Disguise checks. Anyone who sees you and/or beats your Disguise check is able to identify you as magical and may make a Knowledge (arcana) check DC: 20 - your caster level (minimum DC 0) to learn your caster level and what base magic spheres you possess.

Magical Tails (Kitsune)
    Some kitsune are naturally gifted in magic and grow additional tails as their innate power increases. Legend says that the fur of such gifted kitsune will change to snow white upon growing their 9th and final tail. Gain the Witchmarked general drawback and use your character level in place of caster level for calculating its penalties; unless stated otherwise, the sign of this witchmark is the growth of additional tails. This general drawback does not count for gaining boons or calculating additional spell points based on your level in spherecasting classes. Gain a bonus spell point at first level plus an additional bonus spell point for every 3 character levels you possess. The bonus spell points granted by this racial trait may only be used for two spheres from the following list: Alteration, Dark, Destruction, Illusion, Light, Mind or Nature. These choices must be made at first level and cannot be changed later. You cannot select the Witchmarked general drawback if you ever gain a casting tradition.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the quick response! Having a lot of fun making this character.

So to be clear, if a Wraith with the Path of the Ancestor is possessing a willing target, they could activate those feats/racial abilities, whether they're actively or passively possessing them? And here's the text for Witchmarked, and one of the alternate racial traits that grant it; it's a bit early, but it's only a very small part of the illusion handbook so I'm guessing it's alright.
    Spoiler: Witchmarked
    Show

Some aspect of your characteristics is a dead giveaway about your magical nature. This could be any purely cosmetic modification or sensation that is hard to hide such as a vestigial tail (or tails), glowing eyes, an aura visible to the naked eye or the stench of death clinging to you. The intensity of this trait grows proportional to your power. You take your caster level as a circumstance penalty to Disguise checks. Anyone who sees you and/or beats your Disguise check is able to identify you as magical and may make a Knowledge (arcana) check DC: 20 - your caster level (minimum DC 0) to learn your caster level and what base magic spheres you possess.

Magical Tails (Kitsune)
    Some kitsune are naturally gifted in magic and grow additional tails as their innate power increases. Legend says that the fur of such gifted kitsune will change to snow white upon growing their 9th and final tail. Gain the Witchmarked general drawback and use your character level in place of caster level for calculating its penalties; unless stated otherwise, the sign of this witchmark is the growth of additional tails. This general drawback does not count for gaining boons or calculating additional spell points based on your level in spherecasting classes. Gain a bonus spell point at first level plus an additional bonus spell point for every 3 character levels you possess. The bonus spell points granted by this racial trait may only be used for two spheres from the following list: Alteration, Dark, Destruction, Illusion, Light, Mind or Nature. These choices must be made at first level and cannot be changed later. You cannot select the Witchmarked general drawback if you ever gain a casting tradition.
    Well, I don't see witchmarked applying, since you aren't visible (or even physically present, since you are occupying a host) and aren't making disguise checks. Having creatures you possess glow or something would be a thematically appropriate application of the drawback, but would completely wreck any attempts at using possession to infiltrate.

Transformation and the like should apply in that case, though I will admit when I wrote it I had sphere effects in mind, not feats, but appear to have written it broadly. I think it falls under 'interesting and creative use' rather than 'problem'.

17. - Top - End - #527

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Well, I don't see witchmarked applying, since you aren't visible (or even physically present, since you are occupying a host) and aren't making disguise checks. Having creatures you possess glow or something would be a thematically appropriate application of the drawback, but would completely wreck any attempts at using possession to infiltrate.

Transformation and the like should apply in that case, though I will admit when I wrote it I had sphere effects in mind, not feats, but appear to have written it broadly. I think it falls under 'interesting and creative use' rather than 'problem'.
    Yeah, I think it allows some pretty neat things. Right now I'm thinking an Unbodied Wraith that pretends they're a genie. Wish to look different? Shifting Disguise. It's a bit of an odd concept that would be impossible to create in base PF. Thanks again for everything.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi, I'm new to SoM but really liking what I'm seeing!

Q296

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel: Opportunistic Offense
    At 5th level, once per round when the sentinel makes an attack of opportunity, she can treat it as an attack action for the purpose of which talents she can apply to the attack.
    I know this means one can apply something like a Berserker's Brutal Strike (and an exertion talent). Does this also mean one can apply Vital Strike (as for normal Attack Actions)?

Q297

If one gestalts between a SoM and SoP character (e.g. Sentinel | Incanter), can one use the talents gained from the martial class to take spell talents? Can one use the talents gained from the magic class to take martial talents?
    Last edited by jff362; 2018-11-01 at 10:44 PM.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jff362 View Post
    Q297

If one gestalts between a SoM and SoP character (e.g. Sentinel | Incanter), can one use the talents gained from the martial class to take spell talents? Can one use the talents gained from the magic class to take martial talents?
    Of course not, why would you think so?

20. - Top - End - #530
    Orc in the Playground

This may not be the right place for this, but I was wondering what could be done in updating my character made for Spheres of Might? Of which I was a backer of the Kickstarter, and was able to get a character added.

I ask this, because of learning of a new archetype for the Armiger called the Battlefield Tinker... which given my character's inspiration, would be much more fitting. It is possible the archetype came about in part because of my character.

I do understand there is no way of having her updated in book itself, and that is understandable and not an issue, but having it revised for personal use would be appreciated.

Rosa Dorado.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...t?usp=drivesdk
    Last edited by JonathonWilder; 2018-11-02 at 12:54 AM.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jff362 View Post
    Hi, I'm new to SoM but really liking what I'm seeing!
    Glad you're enjoying it!

Q296

I know this means one can apply something like a Berserker's Brutal Strike (and an exertion talent). Does this also mean one can apply Vital Strike (as for normal Attack Actions)?
    A296No, it's only counted as an attack action for the purposes of what talents you can add to it.

Q297

A297 No. While class features like blended training, which gives you a pool of talents that can be spent on either, exist, those instances split a single pool, allowing a specific class or archetype to internally rebalance towards being more martial or more magical. Taking two pools from classes with complete and unique progressions is not something the systems are intended to accommodate and can skew the general flow and progression of character power significantly.
    That being said, it's gestalt, which means you're already deep into homebrew/house-rule territory, so ask your GM.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2018-11-02 at 11:40 AM.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ettin in the Playground

Q298
    Sorry il have to repeat myself:
    How does shadow magic from the newly released tricksters handbook work again?

It says it makes things psuedo real from shadowstuff but does not go into any details:

If my illusion is real does that mean it doesn’t need illusionary touch?
    Does it need sound or does it make the sound of shadowstuff.

It says creatures have 1/5th thier HP.....How is this HP calculated. Do they get their regular attacks and abilities? Is it 1/5th their actual HP or some other value?
    How does it interact with spell replicating illusions? Does it do full damage or what?

What does it mean its a partial save? If I make a simply dragon does that mean that if you save against it its not there anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Dwarf in the Playground

A298 Not staff, but can answer the question somewhat.

HP wise at least creatures have exactly average for their hit die, even if they only have one hit die. The number is listed in their bestiary entries.

For a Shadow creature you find the number and divide it by five. If you somehow summoned the goblin there instead of having 6 HP, it'd have 1 HP (as you nearly always round fractions down).

The creature makes a will save when interacting with the shadow creature, or the shadow creature interacts with it.

Partial means that if this roll is successful the target only takes 1/5 the usual damage because they realize it's not real.

It's the rules laid out in Shadow Conjuration, pretty much.

It makes sound and such because it's partially real. It's basically Schrodinger's Summon. It appears as perfectly real until it or you do something to interact with it and you realize that something's off about it.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Von Krieger View Post
    A298 Not staff, but can answer the question somewhat.

HP wise at least creatures have exactly average for their hit die, even if they only have one hit die. The number is listed in their bestiary entries.

For a Shadow creature you find the number and divide it by five. If you somehow summoned the goblin there instead of having 6 HP, it'd have 1 HP (as you nearly always round fractions down).

The creature makes a will save when interacting with the shadow creature, or the shadow creature interacts with it.

Partial means that if this roll is successful the target only takes 1/5 the usual damage because they realize it's not real.

It's the rules laid out in Shadow Conjuration, pretty much.

It makes sound and such because it's partially real. It's basically Schrodinger's Summon. It appears as perfectly real until it or you do something to interact with it and you realize that something's off about it.
    Ok, so does that mean I can make orcus at like level 10 and all that he has limited is his hit points?

What are the limitation to the stuff that shadow magic can mimmick?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

25. - Top - End - #535

ElfRangerGuy

Q299
    Is it intended that Chameleon (lens) [Light] doesn't grant ability to hide without cover or concealment?

Q300
    And that Earthquake Stomp [Brute] doesn't scale with user's size?
    What does "all valid targets" mean btw? Does it trip allies too?

Q301
    Consider Sage with Unarmed Training, Spear Dancer, Morphic Weapon (used to graft a spear), Rubber Ki, Attune With Light.
    Does it work at all? If it does, what's the reach of grafted spear at level 8? 15 to 35 ft?

Q302
    Does Enhancer Sage need to pay a ki point to use (enhance) talents for Wis mod rounds, and/or concentrate on them?

Q303
    Do sages retroactively gain combat, enhance and blast type talents when gaining new esoteric training packages at 8th and 16th levels?
    Last edited by Nyaa; 2018-11-03 at 07:37 AM.

26. - Top - End - #536

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaa View Post
    Q302
    Does Enhancer Sage need to pay a ki point to use (enhance) talents for Wis mod rounds, and/or concentrate on them?

Q303
    Do sages retroactively gain combat, enhance and blast type talents when gaining new esoteric training packages at 8th and 16th levels?
    A302: As written, there is no added cost, but if the enhance talent requires a spell point then that cost still applies. Concentration is not needed. The ability works just like normal casting, except as stated otherwise (i.e. swift action to cast, limited to the Sage's reach, and duration is [wis mod] rounds instead of any other duration).

A303: As written, yes. "For every 4 class levels the sage possesses, he gains one [esotery based] talent as a bonus talent." The wording doesn't say you receive them at levels 4, 8, 12, etc., it says you receive them based on how many class levels you possess.

27. - Top - End - #537

Imp

How does Mana Siphon work with the Prepared Caster Drawback? If my class has no native way to use spell points outside of spherecasting (as is the case with many archetypes to older classes), do I gain zero benefit from the ability?

28. - Top - End - #538
    Orc in the Playground

Q304: Does Snagging Darkness qualify for the "Being entangled impedes movement, but does not entirely prevent it unless the bonds are anchored to an immobile object or tethered by an opposing force." part of the entangled condition? It describes dark tendrils snaring anything that passes, and I'm not sure if the Strength/Escape Artist check is to be able to move at all (similar to a Tanglefoot Bag) or if it's to remove the entangled condition entirely.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Pixie in the Playground

Q305: I am currently working on a new dual sphere feat for the new Death book (two technically) and I have a question; How would Mass Reanimate interact with a feat that lets you (as currently written) spend a spell point to enhance one undead upon its creation?

Would you need to spend one spell point for each undead or would one spell point pay for all of them?
    Last edited by NecroTechno; 2018-11-04 at 05:23 PM.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

confused Re: Drop Dead Studios Ask Me Anything #3

Q 306:

Say I Multiclass or Gestalt Sage with another Sphere casting class. Do I have a Ki pool and a Spell Points pool or just an unified Ki pool?
    Last edited by CactusAir; 2018-11-05 at 12:35 AM.