New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Drop Dead Studios Ask Me Anything #3

Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    Q408

If I spend a spellpoint to sustain a sphere effect, do I still need to remain within range for it to continue?
    Reposting, question in general for spheres now.

Q408b) Are there exceptions to this rule? (not counting instanteous effects)

2. - Top - End - #812
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Q437: I'm likely an idiot and also asking something that has already been answered, but here we go.

The create ability of the Creation sphere is limited in what it can create, having to take talents to expand it, but still being limited by caster level. Is the alter (repair) and (destroy) ability bound by the same limitations (ex. can only repair or destroy vegetable material starting out and have to take Expanded Materials to repair or destroy stone, but still need to be CL 5 to do the same to base metals)?
    Proud beta-tester for Pirates vs. Ninjas

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't have enough templates in your life? Let's Read the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition!(Abandoned)

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In the employer/BBEG's mansion.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Pixie in the Playground

Q438 With martial sphere drawbacks, I see they all require you take a specific drawback for them instead of allowing a free choice like most of the magic sphere drawbacks. Was that a deliberately decided design choice for some reason or just how they all ended up being written?

Q439 Some of the martial sphere specific drawbacks seem to just be alterations of how the spheres ability can be used like the sniper sphere's close quarter shooter or the trap sphere's battle trapper. Did you have a set metric for what was a fair trade in their use that warrants a talent? Would a boxing drawback that reduces base attack by -5 or 1/2 to determine extra counterpunch triggers be in line or for any sphere with an expanding effect to base ability determined by base attack or skill ranks be appropriate?
    Last edited by Oulana; 2019-01-06 at 11:32 AM.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oulana View Post
    Q438 With martial sphere drawbacks, I see they all require you take a specific drawback for them instead of allowing a free choice like most of the magic sphere drawbacks. Was that a deliberately decided design choice for some reason or just how they all ended up being written?
    A438This was deliberate. The additive nature of martial spheres where you're building on abilities every character already has, as opposed to magical spheres where your first talent establishes the ability that later talents modify, meant that martial drawbacks had to be more carefully regulated and implemented.

Q439 Some of the martial sphere specific drawbacks seem to just be alterations of how the spheres ability can be used like the sniper sphere's close quarter shooter or the trap sphere's battle trapper. Did you have a set metric for what was a fair trade in their use that warrants a talent? Would a boxing drawback that reduces base attack by -5 or 1/2 to determine extra counterpunch triggers be in line or for any sphere with an expanding effect to base ability determined by base attack or skill ranks be appropriate?
    A439 It's entirely dependent on the abilities being offered or enabled. Each drawback needs to be evaluated based on what combinations it enables and how those affect game balance. The general rule is that if a martial drawback makes a build strictly better than just taking the base sphere, you've done something wrong. Instead, a drawback should offer an alternate start, adjusting the way the sphere functions and how a character using it plays while still being equivalent to the performance of a character who didn't take a drawback.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    It's entirely dependent on the abilities being offered or enabled. Each drawback needs to be evaluated based on what combinations it enables and how those affect game balance. The general rule is that if a martial drawback makes a build strictly better than just taking the base sphere, you've done something wrong. Instead, a drawback should offer an alternate start, adjusting the way the sphere functions and how a character using it plays while still being equivalent to the performance of a character who didn't take a drawback.
    Q440 Okay, I get it. So something like a fencing drawback "I like those odds" that gives Group Cover Talent and restricts fatal thrust to strictly melee range attacks made while engaging 2 or more adjacent foes that threaten you that meet the flat-footed, flanked or no Dex to AC condition would be more appropriate?

Or a scout sphere drawback "Armor Breaker" that removes the normal scout ability and ability to take talents that use it but grants Find Gap that only works on targets with armor or natural armor bonus after making the normal scout perception check?
    Last edited by Oulana; 2019-01-06 at 07:09 PM.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Pixie in the Playground

Revisiting the Store Time talent, the post here doesn't answer all my questions (and is only one reading when part of the problem is I'm not sure which one to settle on:

Store Time

You may activate this power as a swift action to store actions for future use for the next three rounds, or as long as you concentrate; you may alternatively spend an additional spell point to maintain this effect for 1 round per caster level. On your turn, you may expend a standard, move, or swift action. Before the end of your next turn, you gain an extra action of the stored type as a free action. Stored standard actions may be used for either move or standard actions as normal. Unspent actions are lost at the end of your next turn. If you spend a spell point as part of activating this talent, you may store the action for a number of rounds equal to your casting ability modifier (minimum 2 rounds). You may touch a willing creature as a free action on your turn to grant the stored action to that creature. Ranged Time increases the distance at which this transfer functions.

If you possess Group Time, you may target multiple creatures, granting each of them the benefits of this ability for as long as you concentrate, or for 1 round per caster level if you spend an additional spell point. You may not store more than one action with this ability at a time.
    Q441 What exactly do the 'benefits of this ability' mean in the Group Time section? Ie.

1) Are other group members restricted to touch transfers if only the caster has Ranged Time? (An official word on this would be good)
    2) Can the entire group created by a single casting only store one action at once between them in a shared pool, or is there one stored action allowed for each creature in the group?
    3) Just to be really sure, Group Time doesn't let you give a single action to multiple creatures at once, right?

7. - Top - End - #817
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzaluna View Post
    Revisiting the Store Time talent, the post here doesn't answer all my questions (and is only one reading when part of the problem is I'm not sure which one to settle on:

Q441 What exactly do the 'benefits of this ability' mean in the Group Time section? Ie.

1) Are other group members restricted to touch transfers if only the caster has Ranged Time? (An official word on this would be good)
    2) Can the entire group created by a single casting only store one action at once between them in a shared pool, or is there one stored action allowed for each creature in the group?
    3) Just to be really sure, Group Time doesn't let you give a single action to multiple creatures at once, right?
    The (time) effect granted by the talent gives the ability to store and share time, using that ability is individual to each creature. Think of it kind of like giving a creature a natural attack; you give them the capability, they use it.
    A411.1: The parameters of the effect are based on the caster, so only the caster needs to have ranged time.
    A411.2: Each creature has its own pool, independent of all others.
    A411.3: No, each action shared is discrete and not multiplied. Group time lets you grant the ability to store time to other creatures, but does not apply to the sharing ability.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Nyekomimi View Post
    Q435: What classifies as "at least 1 hand unoccupied"? Nothing in said hand at all, or could it be wand/staff shaped like small object? Would wearing gauntlet (be it mundane, enchanted as staff or enchanted as weapon) interfere with it? Would wearing a buckler interfere?

Q436: Can buckler be staff?
    Q442: When Blaster Armorist fires his Arm Cannon with Vital Strike, is base dmg (1d6) multiplied, or base weapon dmg (what he would get when firing)?

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    Q431: If I am creating a weapon that, for example, is a +2 Axiomatic Longsword that will grant the effects of a Fate-sphere talent three times per day, does the additional wondrous-item ability have to have the same caster level as the weapon enchantments?
    Q443: Is there any way for my Conjuration-sphere companion to resemble a classic elemental? For instance, gaining the earth glide ability? Would I need a magic companion that invests in alteration for that?
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

10. - Top - End - #820

Imp

A442

RAW it's your full progression. Arguments can be made that the increase from the greater blast talent probably shouldn't count.
    Now RAI we have the recommendation from stack to only apply the base blast without progression on Impale (used with the doomblade), to avoid silly touch attack impales with silly bleed damage:

"You make attacks with the destructive blade in place of normal attacks, so yes, you can use it as an attack action. Given the publishing times, it was obviously not written with SoM in mind. I suppose as written it can be used to impale, but I would be very reluctant to recommend allowing it to deal that much bleed damage. I wonder if touch attacks and lancer don't play that well (or too well, rather) together. I would only allow the base 1d6 (or 1d4 or 1d8 depending on blast type) to be inflicted as bleed."

11. - Top - End - #821
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nyekomimi View Post
    Q442: When Blaster Armorist fires his Arm Cannon with Vital Strike, is base dmg (1d6) multiplied, or base weapon dmg (what he would get when firing)?
    A442: Arm cannon scales from 1d6 to 5d6. Greater vital strike would make this 20d6 9or d4 or 8, depending). The charged shot arsenal trick gives you die/level damage as a standard action for 1 arsenal trick instead of spending 3 feats. As the archetype was pre-SoM, the standard action this requires doesn't mesh well with attack actions. I would allow it to work via spell attack.

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    Q443: Is there any way for my Conjuration-sphere companion to resemble a classic elemental? For instance, gaining the earth glide ability? Would I need a magic companion that invests in alteration for that?
    A443: The greater earth creature advanced talent will grant earth glide.

12. - Top - End - #822

Imp

Q 444

If a word witch conjures multiple objects and spends one of her word points on a "life" word - does it animate all the conjured objects, or only one?

13. - Top - End - #823

Imp

Q445

Can you use the "Alchemical Creation" talent to create formulae you know from the alchemy sphere?

14. - Top - End - #824

Imp

Q446

If you enhance a staff with enhance equipment, can this be used to grant yourself a +to CL for a sphere equal to that enhancement bonus?
    Can this be done on any staff, choosing the sphere when you enhance it, or would it be limited to increasing the bonus on a magic staff already providing at least +1CL to a sphere?

15. - Top - End - #825

Imp

Q447

Only 2 out of 8 (bleed) talents specify that they can only be used on an attack action. Does that mean the following is legal:
    Have "Jagged Edges" enhancement going on your bow to get bleed damage. Barrage. On the first attack, apply your blooded strike + open vein's xd4 bleed. On the second attack, apply perforating wounds.
    You could keep adding more debuffs with more attacks on higher BAB/expending martial focus, of course.
    Last edited by kkplx; 2019-01-11 at 06:41 AM.

16. - Top - End - #826

ClericGirl

Q448 How does Inspired Surge interact with the Conjuration Sphere? Can you add something to your companion with a wild magic chance while summoning it?

17. - Top - End - #827
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeimuHakurei View Post
    Q448 How does Inspired Surge interact with the Conjuration Sphere? Can you add something to your companion with a wild magic chance while summoning it?
    A448: Yes, though it will only apply for the duration of that instance of the casting.

18. - Top - End - #828

Imp

Q449

Am I correct to assume that creating and dropping an object with distant creation can, without additional feats, never be done at a height that would double its damage, due to the "attack" having 20ft range increments, leading to 100ft maximum drop range and the requirement of 150ft dropped for double damage?

Q450
    If you manage to create a large object (2d6 base), and make it both of a hard material as well as drop it from at least 150ft, thus doubling the damage twice, does it now deal 6d6 or 8d6 damage?
    Last edited by kkplx; 2019-01-11 at 09:34 AM.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Pixie in the Playground

Q451
    Do the Amateur X Hedgewitch secrets grant access to grand secrets at the appropriate level?

20. - Top - End - #830
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q408

If I spend a spellpoint to sustain a sphere effect, do I still need to remain within range for it to continue?

A: No, you are free to move if it's been tied off.

Q433: After playing Hedgewitch for some time, I have re-read one of the core abilities of the Charlatanism Hedgewitch Tradition. It bears a similarity to the Sudden Strike class feature from Ninja in D&D 3.5e; this means that it does not trigger on Flanking a creature.

As well, the Guile point spent for the ability as a swift action translates only to a singular attack gaining the Sneak Attack extra damage dice.

Is this correct, or was there an error in writing up the class on the wiki website? It seems backwards on a familiar class feature which is best utilized in a multiple attack routine against a cornered or unsuspecting target and instead mirrors a class ability which was often frowned on during its initial conception in 3.5e. I realize this is a statement coming late as I was not an avid participant or player with the system until now, but it seems wanting in its usage.

A: I'm not familiar with the 3.5 version of the ninja; it's verbage, if similar, was not an intentional throwback to their ability.

During development, it was determined that a full rogue's sneak attack was too powerful for a tradition benefit, but doing some form of compromise like half-progression wouldn't be that fun. Instead, we decided to do 'partial' sneak attack in a way that synergized better with being a hedgewitch; instead of limiting the dice rolls, we limited the situation (requiring a swift action) and the number per day (guile pool) in a way that fit nicely with being a spellcaster. This meant that you couldn't be a dual-wielding god of death like a rogue could, but what you COULD do was add sneak attack damage to a destructive blast or another qualifying magic effect at the same d6 as a rogue of equal level. That was the reasoning behind the decision.

Q435: What classifies as "at least 1 hand unoccupied"? Nothing in said hand at all, or could it be wand/staff shaped like small object? Would wearing gauntlet (be it mundane, enchanted as staff or enchanted as weapon) interfere with it? Would wearing a buckler interfere?

A: That's a Paizo question, not an SoP question; as I remember their past rulings, if you are wielding a one-handed weapon, your other hand is considered free. If you are wielding a two-handed weapon such that you could make AoOs with it (like a quarterstaff), that counted as 'two hands occupied', aka, you can't wield a quarterstaff as a two-handed weapon AND cast magic at the same time. This means you can't have a focus that requires two hands, because to count as 'wielding' it, you have to have both hands on it.

But again, that's Paizo's ruling; if you want to run your game different, I certainly won't complain.

Q436: Can buckler be staff?

A: Anything can be enchanted as a 'staff'; it doesn't have to have the traditional long stick shape.

Q437: I'm likely an idiot and also asking something that has already been answered, but here we go.

The create ability of the Creation sphere is limited in what it can create, having to take talents to expand it, but still being limited by caster level. Is the alter (repair) and (destroy) ability bound by the same limitations (ex. can only repair or destroy vegetable material starting out and have to take Expanded Materials to repair or destroy stone, but still need to be CL 5 to do the same to base metals)?

A: Repair and Destroy are not limited by material.

Q 444

If a word witch conjures multiple objects and spends one of her word points on a "life" word - does it animate all the conjured objects, or only one?

A: The Word Witch wasn't my creation, but if the 'create effect' conjured multiple objects, then one life would animate them all. If the multiple objects were created by multiple effects, through, then they would each need to be animated through separate life words.

Q445

Can you use the "Alchemical Creation" talent to create formulae you know from the alchemy sphere?

A: The Creation Handbook was published before SoM, so RAW I'd say no, but RAI I don't think it would prove to be a problem?

Q446

If you enhance a staff with enhance equipment, can this be used to grant yourself a +to CL for a sphere equal to that enhancement bonus?
    Can this be done on any staff, choosing the sphere when you enhance it, or would it be limited to increasing the bonus on a magic staff already providing at least +1CL to a sphere?

A: The base enhance equipment ability cannot be used to create magic staves that bestow CL, no.

Q447

Only 2 out of 8 (bleed) talents specify that they can only be used on an attack action. Does that mean the following is legal:
    Have "Jagged Edges" enhancement going on your bow to get bleed damage. Barrage. On the first attack, apply your blooded strike + open vein's xd4 bleed. On the second attack, apply perforating wounds.
    You could keep adding more debuffs with more attacks on higher BAB/expending martial focus, of course.

A: I couldn't find 'Jagged Edges' on a search, but I found 'Serrated Edge', so I'm assuming that's what you meant. Duelist was not my baby so defer to Ssalarn if he comes here and says differently, but I believe that would be fine; the Duelist sphere specifically works with more sources of bleed than just the attack action, so I think that would be possible. I believe Adventurer's Armory 2 came out after SoM did, though, so as always I wouldn't hesitate to ban that combo if it became a problem at the table somehow.

Q449

Am I correct to assume that creating and dropping an object with distant creation can, without additional feats, never be done at a height that would double its damage, due to the "attack" having 20ft range increments, leading to 100ft maximum drop range and the requirement of 150ft dropped for double damage?

A: The limit on range incrememnts in core is 'how far can the object fly before it falls short?'. There is no similar limit when the attack is being made by dropping it from above.

Q450
    If you manage to create a large object (2d6 base), and make it both of a hard material as well as drop it from at least 150ft, thus doubling the damage twice, does it now deal 6d6 or 8d6 damage?

A: 8d6.

Q451
    Do the Amateur X Hedgewitch secrets grant access to grand secrets at the appropriate level?

A: Yes.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Pixie in the Playground

Q: 452

Don't know if I'm missing something obvious, but what is the range increment on a thrown poison used as a splash weapon?

22. - Top - End - #832
    Pixie in the Playground

Q453 if you have shape focus can you still use the energetic response talent?

Q454 I'm assuming since the default destructive blast as a magic force counts as a part of the force blast group for energy focus, correct?

Q454 is disintegrate part of any blast type group or can it be taken with any energy focus? Wasn't sure how you envisioned it since it wasn't included in the blast type chart and is an advanced talent. Like visually, I could see any energy type being able to disintegrate. Fire, light and electricity burning to ash. Cold & water freezing and shattering to a fine dust. Earth, sonic, air & force just crumbling to dust. Acid just dissolving them to nothing.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Skaia View Post
    Q: 452

Don't know if I'm missing something obvious, but what is the range increment on a thrown poison used as a splash weapon?
    Are there even rules for that?

A452-ish: generally alchemical splash weapons have 10ft range increment.

Q455

So the text for the Animal Companion talent in the Beastmaster sphere says:

You gain the services of a loyal animal companion. Your effective druid level for this companion is equal to your base attack bonus -3 (minimum 1). If you already possess an animal companion or if you take this talent a second time, your effective druid level increases by 4, to a maximum of your character level. Your effective druid level stacks with those from other sources to a maximum of your character level.

The two colored sections appear to disagree.

As currently written, I can only interpret the passage to mean that if you already have the AC talent, and you later get levels in a class that provides an AC, you add (BAB-3) + Levels in that class to determine Effective Druid Level, whereas if you have levels in such a class first and then get the AC talent, you add Levels + 4.

This seems rather inconsistent. It would be best if it was either always (BAB-3) + levels or levels +4.

Please advise.
    Last edited by CactusAir; 2019-01-13 at 09:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #834

Quote Originally Posted by CactusAir View Post
    Q455

You gain the services of a loyal animal companion. Your effective druid level for this companion is equal to your base attack bonus -3 (minimum 1). If you already possess an animal companion or if you take this talent a second time, your effective druid level increases by 4, to a maximum of your character level. Your effective druid level stacks with those from other sources to a maximum of your character level.

As currently written, I can only interpret the passage to mean that if you already have the AC talent, and you later get levels in a class that provides an AC, you add (BAB-3) + Levels in that class to determine Effective Druid Level, whereas if you have levels in such a class first and then get the AC talent, you add Levels + 4.

This seems rather inconsistent. It would be best if it was either always (BAB-3) + levels or levels +4.

Please advise.
    A455. There's no inconsistency, that's just there for classes like Ranger that get nerfed Animal Companions normally.

When you take the talent the first time, you get an AC that counts your level as [BAB-3] for calculating its stats. If you take it again, or effectively get it as a bonus talent from your class via a class feature, that effective Druid level increases to [BAB+1] to a max of your real total character level. These virtual Druid levels only apply to determining your Companion's stats and abilities, but stack with other Druid levels (even virtual ones) if you have them from another source like Ranger, Druid, or Sylvan Sorcerer.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q455

Please advise.
    A455

For me, there is no contradiction. If you take it the first time, you calculate it (BAB-3)+levels, if you take it a second time, it is (BAB+4)+levels, capped at the overall character level.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

26. - Top - End - #836
    Titan in the Playground

Q453 if you have shape focus can you still use the energetic response talent?

Q454 I'm assuming since the default destructive blast as a magic force counts as a part of the force blast group for energy focus, correct?

Q4545 is disintegrate part of any blast type group or can it be taken with any energy focus? Wasn't sure how you envisioned it since it wasn't included in the blast type chart and is an advanced talent. Like visually, I could see any energy type being able to disintegrate. Fire, light and electricity burning to ash. Cold & water freezing and shattering to a fine dust. Earth, sonic, air & force just crumbling to dust. Acid just dissolving them to nothing.
    I will pass on 453 since I did not write the apocrypha.
    A454: I believe that was my previous answer. As a GM, I probably wouldn't allow taking the base blast as an energy focus, since if easy buy-off is allowed you are frontloading at no cost. Even if you can't buy it off, it is cheap if you are dipping. As for the other benefits of a group, it does very little to benefit admixture, so really only would provide a 'free' option without reduced damage, so I don't think would cause any issues.

A455: Thematically, it fits in the force group, which ended up covers 'other', though I seem to recall having grouped it with fire at one point (or was that radiation? Its been a few years now). Looking back, I think it could have been done differently, perhaps as a modification to existing blast types.

Anyhow, it isn't in a group as written, so I would say ask your GM about allowing it to be in your favored group. I apologize for the '5e-style' (rulings not rules) answer.

Q455

Please advise.
    Above posters are correct.

1. No existing druid level, talent taken once, BAB-3.
    2. No existing druid level, talent taken twice, BAB+1 (capped at HD).
    3. Existing druid level, talent taken once, druid level + 4 (capped at HD)

All effective druid levels stack (druid 3 + hunter 2 + ranger 6 = druid level 8 (since ranger is class level -3)). If that character takes the talent, companion level is determined as for a 11th level druid (3+2+3+4 = 12, but capped at level for 11 total).

27. - Top - End - #837
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    A454: I believe that was my previous answer. As a GM, I probably wouldn't allow taking the base blast as an energy focus, since if easy buy-off is allowed you are frontloading at no cost. Even if you can't buy it off, it is cheap if you are dipping. As for the other benefits of a group, it does very little to benefit admixture, so really only would provide a 'free' option without reduced damage, so I don't think would cause any issues.
    Q456 maybe I've misunderstood the energy focus drawback then. I guess, I figured since the destroyer's handbook was written and errata'd the drawback to mean you can take any of the blast types that where in the newer blast type groups. Wouldn't the drawback now be you are Force focused and limited to taking force blast, invigorating blast and mana siphon blast types or using the base effect if it is force. Or taking fire limits you to taking blistering blast, fire blast or searing blast. I guess, I also assumed that taking default blast was allowed since it never expressly stated you have to take a blast type just that never being able to take a blast type would be pretty limiting. Was those incorrect assumptions?
    Last edited by Oulana; 2019-01-14 at 09:49 AM.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Titan in the Playground

Q456 maybe I've misunderstood the energy focus drawback then. I guess, I figured since the destroyer's handbook was written and errata'd the drawback to mean you can take any of the blast types that where in the newer blast type groups. Wouldn't the drawback now be you are Force focused and limited to taking force blast, invigorating blast and mana siphon blast types or using the base effect if it is force. Or taking fire limits you to taking blistering blast, fire blast or searing blast. I guess, I also assumed that taking default blast was allowed since it never expressly stated you have to take a blast type just that never being able to take a blast type would be pretty limiting. Was those incorrect assumptions?
    A456: If you have the drawback, you can take any of the talents in the same group. I was trying to point out that if you count the basic blast as part of the force group, you are getting a bonus talents from the drawback that you are not spending on a blast type talent to replace the base blast. Therefore counting the base blast as part of a group reduces the cost of the drawback. Which may be why I never placed it in a group to begin with.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ogre in the Playground

Q457:
    How do you calculate a Suit Pilot's CMD when in the independent invention? If I have it correctly, a 1st level Suit Pilot in a medium independant invention would have a CMD of 10+2(II's Str mod)+0(II's Dex mod)+0(size bonus)+ Pilot's BAB.

Is this correct?

30. - Top - End - #840
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    A456: If you have the drawback, you can take any of the talents in the same group. I was trying to point out that if you count the basic blast as part of the force group, you are getting a bonus talents from the drawback that you are not spending on a blast type talent to replace the base blast. Therefore counting the base blast as part of a group reduces the cost of the drawback. Which may be why I never placed it in a group to begin with.
    Q458 that makes sense, would you think a simple adjustment to the energy focus drawback as such would be unreasonable? Your base blast's damage becomes typed to your energy but does not gain any of the additional benefits of a special blast, such as you default fire but do not cause burning, frost damage but no stagger chance, earth can have its type be blungeon, piercing or splashing at casters choice, or acid but no follow up acid damage next round. Though then I guess crafted blast might need to be considered a force talent since it can only be used with default blast type if it gets considered it force. Seemed like taking base as force group wouldn't add much to a player since all the other blast types have a secondary effect of some kind the default blast wouldn't normally get without taking the drawback and something useable by default blast like crafted blast or extended range only useable by default blast until drawback is bought off. Still trying to formulate how all the sphere drawbacks and stuff can come together by player enginuity before trying to run a campaign with all classes replaced by sphere archetypes or classes :P