New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Drop Dead Studios Ask Me Anything #3

Quote Originally Posted by Sneak Dog View Post
    Q491: Boxing sphere legendary talent - Chasing Assault has you make a high jump after someone you uppercut. Assuming you get to treat it as a running start jump somehow, it requires at least a DC 40 acrobatics check to follow them.
    Anyone have suggestions on how to use this talent without combining it with the athletics sphere air stunt legendary talent or other legendary talents?
    A491)
    A level 5 Monk or a Mage Knight can get High Jump and can spend a point of ki/a spell point for a +20 untyped bonus on acrobatics checks to jump. An Improved ring of jumping gives a +10 competence bonus acrobatics check to jump.

Also, without using any advanced talents the Athletics sphere has Mighty Conditioning, Wall Stunt, and Swift Movement that can all add to your jump related acrobatics checks.
    Last edited by SwordChucks; 2019-01-28 at 03:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Orc in the Playground

Q494: If I use the Steel Braggart boast multiple times in a turn (say thanks to Fan Favorite), does its damage reduction stack with itself?

3. - Top - End - #903
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlienFromBeyond View Post
    Q494: If I use the Steel Braggart boast multiple times in a turn (say thanks to Fan Favorite), does its damage reduction stack with itself?
    A494: multiple instances of the same effect don't stack.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Pixie in the Playground

Q495 Tonight our group had a bit of a disagreement. one of our player's with the creation sphere wanted to basically seal a 5x4 pool with a attached slab of steel. 6th level incanter w/ wall master, Larger Creation and Expanded Materials... there was a creature in the pool. would this have worked as he intended? (he said it would have been 4 inches thick)

5. - Top - End - #905
    Pixie in the Playground

Q496: What does the Symbiat Vector's Kinetic Overload Pummel sub-ability consider "When a Brute, Scoundrel, or Wrestling talent would grant the vector an attack against a target within his telekinesis range as the result of performing a maneuver". As in, what is a granted attack in this instance. Is it specifically something that grants an attack roll? If so am I correct in saying this ability only applies to the Clinch Strike (slam) ability from the Brute and the Mug (Trick) ability from the Scoundrel sphere?

Q497:
    Brute sphere's Smash ability states, "Whenever you successfully perform a bull rush, drag, overrun, or reposition maneuver against a creature (other than with maneuvers performed as a free action), that creature suffers damage equal to your unarmed strike or a light weapon you are wielding.", is this simply the damage dice of your weapon/unarmed strike? Does it include strength bonuses, ehancement ect or is it just the raw damage?
    Last edited by Shaella; 2019-01-29 at 01:33 AM.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shaella View Post
    Q496: What does the Symbiat Vector's Kinetic Overload Pummel sub-ability consider "When a Brute, Scoundrel, or Wrestling talent would grant the vector an attack against a target within his telekinesis range as the result of performing a maneuver". As in, what is a granted attack in this instance. Is it specifically something that grants an attack roll? If so am I correct in saying this ability only applies to the Clinch Strike (slam) ability from the Brute and the Mug (Trick) ability from the Scoundrel sphere?
    A496: There was a brute ability that didn't make it into the final version and future talents may include further options.
    Scoundrel examples: Mug
    Wrestling examples: Clinch Strike, Piledriver, Slip and Strike*

*Well, it technically is triggered by ending the maneuver, but ending a maneuver is a secondary result of performing it in a sense. I would allow it.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Q498 Are there currently any plans to modularize the Kingdom building rules, similar to how Ships of Skybourne modularized Vehicle rules? I think there might be some demand for settlement building rules with a bit more simulation then Kingdom Building currently provides.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Nyekomimi View Post
    Q486B: How can I use it to become humanoid with Engulf (requires Ooze or Slime form)?
    IF you can't do this with Spheres, you can always try the Gelatinous Cube monster class + the feat that lets you assume humanoid shape.

It's in DSP's April Augmented 2016

Edit: no answer on my last q, repost:

Q471 does the Special Delivery drawback for the Enhancement sphere prevent me from taking the Referential Enhancements advanced talent? If not, do the Special Delivery restrictions still apply in any way when using Referential Enhancements?
    Last edited by CactusAir; 2019-01-29 at 09:51 PM.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by CactusAir View Post
    IF you can't do this with Spheres, you can always try the Gelatinous Cube monster class + the feat that lets you assume humanoid shape.

It's in DSP's April Augmented 2016
    Sadly explicitly not allowed on our table. Yet.

Q499: Since SoP spells count as spells, with their own schools (divination etc), can you use SoP to qualify for caster-progressing PRCs? If yes, how does that work?

Q499A: Do you need to have amount of talents in sphere equal to amount of spells you'd usually need to know to enter a PRC?

Q499B:
    Do stuff like Staves count toward effective spell level and allow early entry?

Q500: In campaigns with DSP material can Sphere Casting count as Psionic Manifesting for feat prerequisites and such, assuming the magic/psionic transparency rule is in play?
    Last edited by Nyekomimi; 2019-01-30 at 01:12 AM.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q499: Since SoP spells count as spells, with their own schools (divination etc), can you use SoP to qualify for caster-progressing PRCs? If yes, how does that work?

Q499A: Do you need to have amount of talents in sphere equal to amount of spells you'd usually need to know to enter a PRC?

Q499B:

Q500: In campaigns with DSP material can Sphere Casting count as Psionic Manifesting for feat prerequisites and such, assuming the magic/psionic transparency rule is in play?
    A499 and A499A: My suggestion would be to convert the prestige class into spheres mechanic (there are some existing to look at). That is less trouble than to come up with a general ruling, which might not fit everything anyway.

A499B: Yes*, but I would argue that without the staff no ability of the Prc would work. *Based on the fact that there is no actual rule stating this, still GM territory. One author I asked at least does allow this, but Adam might view otherwise.

A500: Does normal spellcasting qualify for psionic stuff?
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

11. - Top - End - #911
    Titan in the Playground

Q499B:

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    A499 and A499A: My suggestion would be to convert the prestige class into spheres mechanic (there are some existing to look at). That is less trouble than to come up with a general ruling, which might not fit everything anyway.

A499B: Yes*, but I would argue that without the staff no ability of the Prc would work. *Based on the fact that there is no actual rule stating this, still GM territory. One author I asked at least does allow this, but Adam might view otherwise.

A500: Does normal spellcasting qualify for psionic stuff?
    Agree that prestige classes should be adapted on a case-by-case basis.

I would not allow staves to qualify for prestige classes any more than I would allow magic weapons to cover BAB prereqs.

In general, for casting or manifesting prestiges, they need adaptation. I would have no problem allowing a psionic prestige if it was modified to suit. Also, fluff-wise, prestiges may require certain traditions. If you are joining an organization of manifesters, your tradition should look similar to manifesting. Same with arcance/druidic/divine/etc. as appropriate to the game world. Obviously that part will vary a lot if you use traditions to mix up the forms of magic since you may not have any of those types, but then you are further adapting the prestige class anyhow.

12. - Top - End - #912

Imp

Q501. Scholar's Advanced and Expert Medical Trainings require the expenditure of 5 and 10 uses of a healer's kit respectively in order to do their jobs. Can the healer's kits be subbed out for stuff like a Vest of Surgery, or is there no way to mitigate this cost other than just walking around with about 50 healer's kits?

13. - Top - End - #913

Q502: The Panacea formuale lists deafened twice, once for DC 20, once for DC 40. Which DC is it?

14. - Top - End - #914
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Von Krieger View Post
    Q152: With regards to Ceaseless Ammo, if one has a magazine with 10 or more ammo in it, does that mean that you never have to reload?
    Still wondering about this one, as I haven't seen it answered.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse
    Q501. Scholar's Advanced and Expert Medical Trainings require the expenditure of 5 and 10 uses of a healer's kit respectively in order to do their jobs. Can the healer's kits be subbed out for stuff like a Vest of Surgery, or is there no way to mitigate this cost other than just walking around with about 50 healer's kits?
    A501 A vest of surgery or similar magic item that removes the need for using a healer's kit also overrides the need for expanding healer's kit charges when using the scholar's medical training abilities.
    Otherwise, the rapid healer's kit expenditure is part of why they get careful packer.

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver
    A502: The panacea formulae lists deafened twice, once for DC 20, once for DC 40. Which DC is it?
    A502 DC 20.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2019-02-02 at 12:44 PM.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Von Krieger View Post
    Q152: With regards to Ceaseless Ammo, if one has a magazine with 10 or more ammo in it, does that mean that you never have to reload?
    RAW yes, I think? Someone more rule-knowing than me can correct this.

Q502: How do you convert PrC's that grant accelerated casting (Lots of stuff from 3.5, some DSP options, no core Pazio stuff that I know of.)
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ettin in the Playground

Q503: Does the sage's ability to deal damage as a monk of their level when using the Enhancer version of Combat Form also allow their unarmed strike to count as a natural weapon like a monk's (so it can be augmented with magic fang, Alteration abilities, etc)?
    "Follow the moonwalking Nosepass!"
    "Can you put the lich in a box?"

18. - Top - End - #918
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q 504:

So, while this thread is normally for Spheres questions, I do have a question about the Artisan. Am I correct in assuming the Wood Crafter's Art ability, Wall of Wood, is meant to become available at level 9? That matches the rest of the Crafter's Arts, I just don't see the class level defined in the ability.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q505: How do you determine the size of creatures you can affect with Telekinetic Maneuver (from Telekinses sphere)? Is it based on the caster's size or the size they can affect with lift (or neither)?

Q506: How does Quick Force (from Brute sphere) interact with Telekinetic Maneuver? Does it let you use it as a move action or swift action by expending focus, or are you still limited by normal cast time and would need to use Quicken Spell or similar?

20. - Top - End - #920
    Pixie in the Playground

Q507: I have a question about Vortex.
    Vortex is described as
    "Vortex
    (Concentration, requires a large body of liquid)

You may create a spinning vortex in a body of liquid that sucks creatures and objects to its center. This vortex is 5 ft wide at its base, is 10 ft high + 5 ft per 5 caster levels, and is half as wide at the top as it is high."

and then the earth geomancing talent whirlwind says
    "Whirlwind (earth, geomancing) [Core]
    You may create a vortex out of sand or loose dirt. This is the same as a vortex made in water, except it travels over land. A whirlwind must remain in contact with the ground at all times, and may not fly."

Does this mean the vortex sits on top of the water? or in it?
    essentially, is it a water spout or is it a whirlpool?

21. - Top - End - #921
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q508: Has there been much progress on the conversion of the Spheres of Power system to Starfinder? Also, if possible is there an estimated ETA for release? Thanks.

22. - Top - End - #922

Imp

Q509. The veil, "Ceradon's Eternity" has this line in the Chest Chakra Bind:

In addition, you may take a point of essence burn as an immediate action to attempt to counter a time-based spell such as haste, slow, or time stop.
    I'm just slightly confused by the word "attempt." Is there supposed to be a dispel check involved, or is it automatic, like most counterspells? Given any word on a dispel check being mentioned or the use of veilweaver level in place of caster level, am I correct in assuming that it is the latter, an automatic counterspell?
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2019-02-03 at 11:55 PM.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    Q509. The veil, "Ceradon's Eternity" has this line in the Chest Chakra Bind:

I'm just slightly confused by the word "attempt." Is there supposed to be a dispel check involved, or is it automatic, like most counterspells? Given any word on a dispel check being mentioned or the use of veilweaver level in place of caster level, am I correct in assuming that it is the latter, an automatic counterspell?
    You want this thread.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Ogre in the Playground

Previous question repeated in case of a possible answer
    Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    Q431: If I am creating a weapon that, for example, is a +2 Axiomatic Longsword that will grant the effects of a Fate-sphere talent three times per day, does the additional wondrous-item ability have to have the same caster level as the weapon enchantments?

Q510: Are there any plans or suggestions on updating the different Drop Dead Studios classes to the Spheres System? Like the Channeler or the Aspect?
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ettin in the Playground

Q511: This must have been asked somewhere, but I couldn't find it in this thread or the two previous ones - what's the DC to identify a sphere effect with Spellcraft? I'm assuming 15+half CL or 15+half MSB, but I don't know which, and it doesn't seem to be stated anywhere in the core SoP book.
    "Follow the moonwalking Nosepass!"
    "Can you put the lich in a box?"

26. - Top - End - #926

Quote Originally Posted by Llyarden View Post
    Q511: This must have been asked somewhere, but I couldn't find it in this thread or the two previous ones - what's the DC to identify a sphere effect with Spellcraft? I'm assuming 15+half CL or 15+half MSB, but I don't know which, and it doesn't seem to be stated anywhere in the core SoP book.
    A501: The spellcraft skill refers to spell level, so it's CL/2 + whatever base number.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Q512: Does Overwhelming Power work on and with both Power and Might abilities?

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q513 Does the Orc Favored Class Bonus for Shifters combine with using Unarmed Training? Since Unarmed Training lets you apply the damage dice of your unarmed strikes to natural attacks, and the orc FCB lets you treat the dice as a size larger, would an Orc shifter 6 with 6 unarmed talents and Unarmed Training treat their specified natural attack as 1d8?
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

29. - Top - End - #929

Q512: Does Overwhelming Power work on and with both Power and Might abilities?
    A512: No. Both systems are separate. Spheres of Power uses spheres and not magic spheres, because it was created without considering that SoM might be created at some point.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Okay, praying to the blade works, that this functions. These two archetypes should stack to begin with, so I'm taking my shot here:

Q514 If I am an Incanter with the Sword Birth specialization and take levels in Armorist (not especially Lingchi Warrior, but Soaring Blade for example), do the Incanter levels stack with my Armorist levels for the purpose of progressing the Armory Arena and enhanced Armory? It'd make a neat, thematic combo, but yeah, I'm probably just wishing to much :)
    Last edited by kaiouchiha; 2019-02-06 at 10:37 AM.