New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Drop Dead Studios Ask Me Anything #3

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    A40: Every base book sphere is getting a handbook. Time is currently in playtest.

On my phone, so no link.
    Time Handbook: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...-PCgwAOcs/edit

Q42: It seems, at least from what I can observe from outside, that the Spheres of Power team is really busy lately. Are they preparing for a shift to Pathfinder 2.0 or have they yet to make a decision and just seeing where they want to go with the project? I saw on the Patreon in March they said the announcement of Pathfinder 2 did shake things up a bit, has things settled since?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    Greater Dustbringer Aura (from the Dustbringer Archetype for the Mageknight) allows you to subject any missile to your Alter (Destroy) ability. However, I'm not entirely sure what the HPs of most ammunition are. Can somebody help me with this?
    Any Update on this?
    Q43. Any Update on this?

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Q44

If the Guardian talent "Defend other" is used to absorb a hit that carries other consequences (impale, seeking ray, ability damage or penalties or drain, a carrier effect from destruction, etc.), does the person "taking the damage" also suffer the negative effects, or does the original target?
    Last edited by kkplx; 2018-07-03 at 02:32 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    Q44

If the Guardian talent "Defend other" is used to absorb a hit that carries other consequences (impale, seeking ray, ability damage or penalties or drain, a carrier effect from destruction, etc.), does the person "taking the damage" also suffer the negative effects, or does the original target?
    A44: All additional effects go to the one who takes the damage. You are redirecting the attack/interposing yourself to absorb it, not metaphysically channeling the damage to yourself.

5. - Top - End - #95

Imp

Then you might want to use different wording for the ability, as it states

"If this attack would still hit, you may choose to take the damage in your ally’s place."

instead of stating you take "the hit" or elaborating that this also includes any other effects attached to "being hit" by the ability.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Q43. Any Update on this?
    (Non-magical, normal) Projectiles have 5 hardness and 5 HP.
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Desril View Post
    That's the hardness and HP for projectile weapons such as bows, crossbows, etc. The hardness and HP for ammunition probably wasn't included in that table because sundering an arrow was not something likely to come up in gameplay. I would personally treat arrows and bolts as light hafted weapons (5 hardness and 2 HP), as that seems to be the closest approximation, while bullets I would give 10 hardness and 2 hp (due to being made of metal). Enchanted ammo also gains the extra 10 hp and 2 hardness per point of enhancement bonus, and I would probably apply that bonus to ammo fired from an enchanted ranged weapon (to mitigate issues of the greater dustbringer aura trivializing enemy archers). Ranged natural weapons would be entirely up the the GM. Beyond that, you should probably consult the HP and hardness of common substances table to figure out a reasonable HP value for the projectile (such as for thrown rocks). All that said, I am not a developer, so this is just how I would handle it.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Halfling in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q45: On prodigy finisher Sunset it states you can apply [dark] talents as normal to the ability, while the imbuement Shadow uses both [darkness] and [dark] tags. My GM wanted to know if the finisher can use darkness talents, or if it's supposed to be only talents from the common dark talents, not specifically dark ones. In this case the question was mostly can you make your sunset into a black lung for example.

My own understanding of it would be that it works as if it was a cast darkness ability from the dark sphere, hence subject to both dark and darkness talents as applicable, and I suppose plot/shadow if you had something that would affect an area of darkness in those.

Q46: On beastmastery sphere, and this is mostly a curiosity thing. Why does the Animal companion talent scale based on your base attack bonus -3, instead of your handle animal -3, when handle animal is the skill that almost everything else in the sphere scales from. That is, when it's not scaling based on your ranks in ride. I just think it'd be more logical considering rest of the sphere and other spheres that grant skill ranks and scale based on them, to not have one exception there out of the blue.
    Last edited by Xararion; 2018-07-04 at 07:39 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Greater Dustbringer Aura (from the Dustbringer Archetype for the Mageknight) allows you to subject any missile to your Alter (Destroy) ability. However, I'm not entirely sure what the HPs of most ammunition are. Can somebody help me with this?
    Any Update on this?
    Q43. Any Update on this?
    So not a dev either but to be fair Sam C was probably right here.

If you look at rope, it's noted as 2 hp/inch of thickness, and then the example given for it is a rope 1 in in diameter. Rope has hardness 0 (inherited from material), 2 hp (2hp per inch of thickness and 1 inch thick) and Break DC 23 (Real life approximation from the devs if I had to guess. I can't math a reason it would be that high. Backed up by a comment later, specifically).
    Since hardness doesn't affect an object's break DC, this value depends more on the construction of the item than on the material the item is made of. Consult Table: DCs to Break or Burst Items for a list of common break DCs.
    A simple wooden door is Hardness 5, 10 hp and break DC 13. Break DC is arbitrary so no good then, but wood suggests its simply 1 inch thick for that hp.

Following the 2 out we can do a wooden piling 1 inch in diameter that has hardness 5, and 10 hp. You could build a fence of them and would have much more hp than a door, though that could be oddly appropriate. Regardless, that piling could become a walking stick 1 inch thick for the same 5 hardness and 10 hp, which incidentally matches a quarterstaff. As a "2 handed hafted weapon" you have hardness 5 and 10 hp.

Most arrows and bolts probably weren't an inch thick. So it would be a DM call, but 'light hafted weapon' seems appropriate. Or, since ammunition is supposed to be smaller even than that typically, could even do half that hp.

Like Sam C said though, I'd allow ammunition to get the full benefit of enchantments to the weapon so as not to totally ignore ranged attacks with the aura. Even then, many monsters don't tend to have gear with high level of enchantments by default. Usually only humanoid NPCs do, and then rarely so the aura is still really potent.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground

Q47
    Would an Oracle who gains the Skill at Arms Revelation at first level be able to trade that out for a martial tradition instead?

Skill at Arms: You gain proficiency in all martial weapons and heavy armor.

Under Martial Tradition: "characters who do not may choose to trade their starting proficiencies for a martial tradition at 1st level, as long as their normal starting proficiencies include proficiency with all martial weapons or at least one exotic weapon. Some classes who do not gain proficiency with all martial weapons but whose class description implies a strong martial background may trade their starting proficiencies for a martial tradition with GM approval."

I also am aware that there is a ruling already in place against this, however gaining a Martial Tradition in this way would make thematic sense at least to me. "This does not include clerics whose deity’s favored weapon is an exotic weapon or similar features that modify starting proficiencies based on other character choices." As well as, this is gaining much more than just a single weapon proficiency like the Favored Weapon feature.

So could instead of gaining the proficiencies, they gain an martial tradition if taken at first level?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I've been on a Technician binge lately, so I've got a few questions, some of which might be buried in the SoM AMA #1

Q48) Is the listed cost for the Independent Invention the full cost, or cost per Hit Dice? (I can see it being full cost as it's a class ability you have to pay for, OTOH it's a quite powerful class ability)

Q49) Grand Gadgets Chemical Thrower, Permanent Gadget and Laser all say that if you have Mechanical Insight you get 4 uses out of them per day instead of 3, they ALSO say if you take it a second time it's +3 uses, was it intended to still only get +3 uses on the base 4 uses, or was the +3 uses per day meant to increase as well?

Q50) Some clarification on what can be used in the Suit mod and what you can't would be nice. Obviously you shouldn't be able to use a Medium character's wings to fly around in a Colossal mecha that weighs 125 tons, but technically you can since the only clarification is "While in the pilot seat, the pilot and the independent invention are essentially a single creature, using the independent invention’s physical stats and the pilot’s mental stats." (Personal rule that I've been using is that Ex and Su abilities granted by race or template related to physical acts don't apply when in the suit, but there's a lot of fringe cases that I haven't considered, as well as Class abilities like Alchemist's Mutagen.)
    Q50a) A note about Magic Items would help. I've been assuming any Magic Item you're wearing that modifies physical stats doesn't affect the Independent Invention, even with Suit. OTOH I've ALSO been assuming you can enchant normal Wondrous Items and equip them to your Invention.
    Edit: just saw that I shouldn't have been assuming that last bit as per this line: "They possess only a Strength and Dexterity score, with no skill points or feats or magic item slots."
    Q50b) Can / Should the Independent Invention be able to be targeted by Self spells while you pilot it?

Q51) If I use the Robot upgrade to make my Independent Invention have intelligence 10, does it also get Wisdom and Charisma stats? If so what are they? (asking specifically for Skills like Perception or Intimidate)
    Q51a) More on Robot Independent Inventions: when using a feat from the Robot instead of my own, do I use the Robot's BAB or my own to figure out the effects? (Examples: 1) at level 11 a Technician cannot qualify for Improved Vital Strike, but a Construct with full BAB does, 2) a Techncian at level 12 using Power Attack is only -3/+6, but a Construct is -4/+8)

Q52) If you have Suit and Covered then are you impossible to target with mental effects, or as pilot of the suit does casting a mental spell at the suit count as casting one at you?

Q53) Unrelated to Technician: It's been established earlier in this thread that RAI a Tradition that grants Gunsmithing should essentially grant the Gunslinger's Gunsmith class ability including a broken firearm and ability to repair it. In an Guns Everywhere world, does that instead grant Gun Training 1 as per the Gunslinger in a Guns Everywhere world? Or is that more of a GM specific question?
    Last edited by Valdimarian; 2018-07-04 at 11:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azernak0 View Post
    Q6
    How does Perfect Offensive (Striker Tension), and Piledriver interact?

Scenario:
    Lilly the Drunk is unhappy with Steve the Sober so she grapples poor Steve. After pinning Steve, Lilly activates a Piledriver ending the grapple and automatically threatening a critical hit. Can she use Perfect Offensive to auto confirm the crit?

Q7
    When does Drunken Boxer's maximize damage come into play?

Scenario:
    Lilly the Drunk is at it again, slamming a bottle of rotgut. As she already has Improved Unarmed Strike, she is considered to be one size category large for the purposes of unarmed damage. In this case, 1d6 to 1d8. She attacks Steve and decides to expend her Drunk status to maximize her unarmed dice. Does she deal 6 or 8 damage?
    A6: Perfect Offense is only intended when a roll threatens a critical hit, not other sources. And that means actually rolled, not cyclops helmet auto 20 too.

A7: She would deal 8 damage from the 1d8, as the final die is what's maximized.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMartin View Post
    Q18

Is there any way for character picking up firearm proficiency with their martial tradition to gain a firearm with their starting equipment, either a battered firearm like a gunslinger's or otherwise? I can't find one except picking up a trait for extra money, and to me it seems an exception to sphere's general theme of getting character concepts up and running from level 1(-ish).
    A18: It would be perfectly reasonable to give a battered firearm with any martial traditions that grant firearm proficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalTimothy View Post
    Q47
    Would an Oracle who gains the Skill at Arms Revelation at first level be able to trade that out for a martial tradition instead?

Skill at Arms: You gain proficiency in all martial weapons and heavy armor.

Under Martial Tradition: "characters who do not may choose to trade their starting proficiencies for a martial tradition at 1st level, as long as their normal starting proficiencies include proficiency with all martial weapons or at least one exotic weapon. Some classes who do not gain proficiency with all martial weapons but whose class description implies a strong martial background may trade their starting proficiencies for a martial tradition with GM approval."

I also am aware that there is a ruling already in place against this, however gaining a Martial Tradition in this way would make thematic sense at least to me. "This does not include clerics whose deity’s favored weapon is an exotic weapon or similar features that modify starting proficiencies based on other character choices." As well as, this is gaining much more than just a single weapon proficiency like the Favored Weapon feature.

So could instead of gaining the proficiencies, they gain an martial tradition if taken at first level?
    A47: Talking it over with the others, we all think it's a fair way to rule it, so yeah, that'd provide a martial tradition if desired.
    Last edited by N. Jolly; 2018-07-05 at 12:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103

Imp

You know, for the longest time I always assumed that it was referring to Bows and the like, rather than the bolts/ammunition that they use. But I guess that makes sense, thank you.

That said, enhancements add +2 hardness and +10 hp for every point of enhancement, and IIRC, enhanced bows pass their enhancement along to their ammunition. So it kinda seems like the Greater Dustbringer's Aura ability will easily stop any mundane bows and arrows from low level, but will be almost completely useless as enemies get better gear. Even at Level 20, you can't so much as inflict the broken condition on an arrow fired from a +5 bow.

I guess it's good at ignoring the attacks of a horde of weaklings, though Unbreakable easily outclasses it in this regards. Still, it's pretty thematic. If only it worked with Touch of Dust.

At any rate....

Q54. Characters who trade out their spherecasting for a spheres of might talent progression, what happens to the 2 free bonus magic talents that they would have otherwise gained? Do they become combat talents, or are they just lost forever?
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2018-07-06 at 08:16 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

So, weirdly enough (and I would hardly consider it a ruling of all projectiles) Drop Dead Studios has already defined the hardness and hp of projectiles at 5 hardness and 1 hp, in the Pinning Shot talent in the Sniper sphere.

I don't think that's meant to be extrapolated to the entire Sphere system and projectiles that interact with it, but it's there for people who want to do that.

15. - Top - End - #105

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Omnificer View Post
    So, weirdly enough (and I would hardly consider it a ruling of all projectiles) Drop Dead Studios has already defined the hardness and hp of projectiles at 5 hardness and 1 hp, in the Pinning Shot talent in the Sniper sphere.

I don't think that's meant to be extrapolated to the entire Sphere system and projectiles that interact with it, but it's there for people who want to do that.
    4 hp isn't really much of a difference, at the end of the day. It does assure that Greater Dustbringer Aura can destroy any nonmagical projectile even at level 1, so if you decide to spend a feat on it at your earliest convenience (Level 3) then it will do it's job until magical weapons become the norm.

Hmm...I wonder if Counterspell Mastery could allow you to dispel an arrow's enhancements before it gets to you? Anyone know if there's a Spheres of Power analogue to Wall of Suppression?

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

Is an Armorist allowed to use the Blast Vessel encantment?

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Q22. When performing these talents from the Dual Wielding Sphere, Brutal Combo, High-Low Combination, Repositioning Routine, and Tricky Combo, in coordination with the Dual Attack base sphere ability, do the combat maneuvers performed suffer the Dual Attack penalty to their checks?
    Please, and thank you.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Q22. When performing these talents from the Dual Wielding Sphere, Brutal Combo, High-Low Combination, Repositioning Routine, and Tricky Combo, in coordination with the Dual Attack base sphere ability, do the combat maneuvers performed suffer the Dual Attack penalty to their checks?
    A22: I'm going to say no here; landing CMs is hard enough, no reason to make it harder.

19. - Top - End - #109

Imp

Q55

Can a Darkness Defender expend 2 attacks of opportunity to the same atttack made against an ally to both apply "shield other" and "defend other" to their ally's AC against that attack? (assuming all talents for this have been taken)

20. - Top - End - #110
    Pixie in the Playground

I have a few questions about the Summoning Advanced Talent.

Q56 If I have a 25% discount on payments for getting a summoned creature to do a task for me, does that only apply to summoning allies? They have a fixed cost (or at least an equation to get a cost) associated with them that can be easily reduced by the discount. However, hostile summons are much more volatile in the pricing and payment methods, to the point that some hostiles may not even desire a monetary cost and instead want something else in exchange. Would the discount still apply when appropriate?

Q57 Would being limited to only being able to summon an extraplanar being of a particular narrow type (such as only being able to summon devils or only being able to summon angels) be a good drawback to gain extra favor with that type of creature. For example, either gaining a 25% discount or having those creatures count as allied?

Q58 Does the normal Pathfinder Binding rules apply to creatures summoned in this manner? The binding rules has ways to make a summoned creature more likely to summit to your demands if certain conditions are met first.

If they do still follow the rules of Binding, are there any special thing you can do to make Omnimentals summit more easily? For the four classical elementals the following gives a bonus to charisma checks to make deals with them.

Fire Elemental: Keeping large blocks of ice in the room saps the elemental's power and cows it into submission more quickly.

Air Elemental: When summoning an air elemental, inscribe the magic circle with diamond powder.

Water Elemental: A ring of fire around the magic circle exposes the elemental to its hated enemy the instant it appears on the Material Plane, distracting it long enough for the binder to seize control.

Earth Elemental: Prepare the summoning chamber with swirling wind- and air-based spells to prevent the elemental from touching the floor.
    Last edited by ImmortalTimothy; 2018-07-08 at 12:18 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    Q55

Can a Darkness Defender expend 2 attacks of opportunity to the same atttack made against an ally to both apply "shield other" and "defend other" to their ally's AC against that attack? (assuming all talents for this have been taken)
    A55: Since both situations were triggered, yes, both could be used.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q 59)

So, metamagic feats seem fairly limited in Spheres of Power. All the basics are there, as well as an extra few that are fairly useful for the sphere system. Obviously though, there are a great many absent the list, and it's surprising there even IS a list for this as it wouldn't have been something I initially would have considered. In truth, a lot of nuances of the system catch me off guard as there are a great many things I'd not have considered initially.

So question then is this: Was there some fear of what the wide breadth of metamagic would lead to unforseen interactions? Alternatively was it playtested and confirmed? Is it some form of future proofing to ensure things don't get out of hand with content that isn't out yet?

Q 60)

This may have been answered already but, what sparked the idea for the spheres system as a whole? It's brilliant and the entirety of the system really livens up my games. Notably we have battles that can rage across huge areas as people move about. My players can't stand keeping Spheres of Powers effects at close range as a result and will spend multiple talents and or feats for ways to improve range. Closer and tighter battles almost feel claustrophobic. That is a drastic change from the core system, albeit one that works really well. So what sparked it all? Was there something you wanted in your own home games? Was it frustration with the system or just a cool idea that came up? And did you know when you started that the system was going to totally change the entire game while in effect?

Q 61)

What's a day in the life like? For everyone? I know there are a lot of devs on this at this point but how often do you interact with each other? What else is on your plate? And when did things go from 'cool idea' to 'this got real' for any devs that answer this question?

Q 62)

What is the best part of having worked/working on this system? Again, open to any and all devs.

Q 63)

There was an idea that surfaced earlier in the thread about plans for expanding ideas for the sphere system and someone said "all it really needs is someone to take the reins". Is it that easy to get involved? If I have ideas and/or want to try and contribute something to this system, how would that be submitted?

Q 64)

So, more mechanical. Naturally healing by default is atrocious in many games. While I think in combat healing is an "alright" option, realistically it's relatively terrible. Often times the group picks up cure light wound wands to address topping off out of combat, leading to a situation where an item gives a disproportionate value and skews adventure planning (since they get more healing than they're expected to have and tend to start fights topped off instead of missing health). Even my table, where most of my players are fairly far from power gaming, they eventually too came to the conclusion that healing is just...not worth it.

Needless to say, spheres addressed that issue in large part. You can functionally build mass heal and really pump out serious healing. The lately released protection handbook, and the Faithful Sheperd Archetype within, highlight very well how potentially potent such a member of the party can be now.

Yet even so, you include notes on limiting healing from items so that there is no infinite healing if the Dm doesn't wish there to be so. And then revitalize exists that can restore a party multiple times for minimal cost in a day. While a major investment in talents, any healer can heal hundreds of hp in a day for minimal cost using that talent. And if they ever exhaust it, it is almost trivial to reboot it again.

So, I imagine that one of the goals for the life sphere was to make healing 'viable' as an option. More so than in default vancian magic. Yet the infinite healing items and the revitalize talents, seem to suggest that you don't want that attrition in an adventuring day. So the question is this. Was that a design goal? Was it a side effect of how spheres works? Considering how efficient revitalize is, and if that is intended as opposed to a side effect, why wasn't the basis of an advanced talent as opposed to a second talent? It seems, compared to other expanded spheres, to be potent for a basic talent above some others (though to be fair, maximizing the effect takes 9 talents past the entry talent just to unlock the sphere)
    Last edited by Drakhan; 2018-07-08 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Small clarification to a comment I made

23. - Top - End - #113

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhan View Post
    Q 64)

So, more mechanical. Naturally healing by default is atrocious in many games. While I think in combat healing is an "alright" option, realistically it's relatively terrible. Often times the group picks up cure light wound wands to address topping off out of combat, leading to a situation where an item gives a disproportionate value and skews adventure planning (since they get more healing than they're expected to have and tend to start fights topped off instead of missing health). Even my table, where most of my players are fairly far from power gaming, they eventually too came to the conclusion that healing is just...not worth it.

Needless to say, spheres addressed that issue in large part. You can functionally build mass heal and really pump out serious healing. The lately released protection handbook, and the Faithful Sheperd Archetype within, highlight very well how potentially potent such a member of the party can be now.

Yet even so, you include notes on limiting healing from items so that there is no infinite healing if the Dm doesn't wish there to be so. And then revitalize exists that can restore a party multiple times for minimal cost in a day. While a major investment in talents, any healer can heal hundreds of hp in a day for minimal cost using that talent. And if they ever exhaust it, it is almost trivial to reboot it again.

So, I imagine that one of the goals for the life sphere was to make healing 'viable' as an option. More so than in default vancian magic. Yet the infinite healing items and the revitalize talents, seem to suggest that you don't want that attrition in an adventuring day. So the question is this. Was that a design goal? Was it a side effect of how spheres works? Considering how efficient revitalize is, and if that is intended as opposed to a side effect, why wasn't the basis of an advanced talent as opposed to a second talent? It seems, compared to other expanded spheres, to be potent for a basic talent above some others (though to be fair, maximizing the effect takes 9 talents past the entry talent just to unlock the sphere)
    I can't speak for Adam, but I wrote the Life handbook and the Protection handbook, and I can tell you what I think. Basically, daily attrition through hit point loss isn't a thing. Almost every game I've played, we walked into combat at full hp. It might just be the groups I play with, but healing is just not that hard to come by (wands of CLW being case in point). It's spell slot and ability use attrition that forces players to stop, usually. My attempts with those books was to make in-combat healing viable, though not as good as out of combat healing. Hence things like Adrenhalin Surge and Taste of Victory. I'm a big 4e fan, and I loved how the cleric could heal as a minor (swift) action and still function in combat.

24. - Top - End - #114

Q 59)

So, metamagic feats seem fairly limited in Spheres of Power. All the basics are there, as well as an extra few that are fairly useful for the sphere system. Obviously though, there are a great many absent the list, and it's surprising there even IS a list for this as it wouldn't have been something I initially would have considered. In truth, a lot of nuances of the system catch me off guard as there are a great many things I'd not have considered initially.

So question then is this: Was there some fear of what the wide breadth of metamagic would lead to unforseen interactions? Alternatively was it playtested and confirmed? Is it some form of future proofing to ensure things don't get out of hand with content that isn't out yet?
    A59: I can at least shed some insight on this. SoP was outfitted with a whitelist of metamagic feats at the point of its creation, which hasn't been updated yet. I don't know which feats were examined, but some feats simply don't work with SoP that well. Like the feat which turns a light spell into a darkness spell at +0 spell level increase. As this effectively invalidates a sphere, this feat needs at least a +1, if allowed at all. I would say, as a guideline, if you can get a similar enough result via a talent, then requiring the talent and removing the feat would be ok. If the feat provides a different trade-off (Reach Spell with +1 SP applicable for every sphere vs. specialized greater reach talents), then it is ok. If having the feat is superior to the SoP way, then it needs to be nerfed or removed.

I suppose, one could collect a list of metamagic feats now and check if they work with SoP or should be placed on a blacklist.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 65

Is there a limit to how many alchemy sphere Formulae you can possess at one time? The language is "you cannot prepare more formulae at one time than..." which I interpret to mean in one 30 minute a person can not prepare more that X number of bombs, and that person can spend another 30 minute period to double the number of bombs they have.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I can't speak for Adam, but I wrote the Life handbook and the Protection handbook, and I can tell you what I think. Basically, daily attrition through hit point loss isn't a thing. Almost every game I've played, we walked into combat at full hp. It might just be the groups I play with, but healing is just not that hard to come by (wands of CLW being case in point). It's spell slot and ability use attrition that forces players to stop, usually. My attempts with those books was to make in-combat healing viable, though not as good as out of combat healing. Hence things like Adrenhalin Surge and Taste of Victory. I'm a big 4e fan, and I loved how the cleric could heal as a minor (swift) action and still function in combat.
    So much goodness.

First thing is first, let it not be said I disapprove of where the life sphere (or protection sphere for that matter) ended up! The fact that my players actually consider healing because it's good is amazing. I can actually make healers in combat that my players want to kill, and frankly Faithful Shepherd is going to be used for a Villain at some point just because I think it is that awesome. And that's just scratching the surface of what I love about the sphere system, and specifically the life sphere.

I find it somewhat interesting though that, coming from a long history of D&D 3.5 prior to pathfinder, attrition is expected but non existent. It's mentioned a few times in the old DM guides and came to pathfinder as an inheritance. Yet, as EVERYONE knows, CLW wand wins the healing game. It's not even a question. I browse the forums mostly as a lurker here but a little more active on reddit and it's almost astonishing when people ask and just don't KNOW about it. Some of the comments occasionally reflect that. Even my party, notoriously low on the 'power gaming' scale, eventually figured that out and does it.

Yet I can't personally help but feel that is an unintended interaction. Potions of Healing are 50 gold. 1st level wands of magic missile are 750. So are first level wands of CLW. After the 15th spell in the wand, compared to potions, it's all free. 35 free heals for the same cost in potions. Or what, 15g per charge? The magic missile wand isn't decried as a wonder, but the CLW wand is because it's so efficient. Yet, take away level 1 wands, keep WBL, and what healing remains? Infernal healing goes with the CLW wand leaving the biggest 2 healing items mia. What other methods of rapid healing exists that doesn't eventually start hurting a character's WBL? Everything close to 2nd place is either mediocre, or bordering on unacceptable. Not that we can do anything about it, it's a part of the game, but I think its an interesting view that has developed in the community as a whole.

Q 66)

So there is a question at the end of all of this. You note that spell slot and ability use attrition tends to force groups to chill out. I am curious though, how quickly does this occur in other games (or playtests) of spheres content? My player's adventuring days on spheres of power are much longer on average, barring some spheres like creation and warp. I've even seen them run out of SP, shrug and keep going. I love that about the system but this is a question just about things seen by both devs and other groups. Do you have longer than normal adventuring days with your groups? Or is it about the same? Ultimately they have fun, but it has left me curious to hear about other groups.

A59: I can at least shed some insight on this. SoP was outfitted with a whitelist of metamagic feats at the point of its creation, which hasn't been updated yet. I don't know which feats were examined, but some feats simply don't work with SoP that well. Like the feat which turns a light spell into a darkness spell at +0 spell level increase. As this effectively invalidates a sphere, this feat needs at least a +1, if allowed at all. I would say, as a guideline, if you can get a similar enough result via a talent, then requiring the talent and removing the feat would be ok. If the feat provides a different trade-off (Reach Spell with +1 SP applicable for every sphere vs. specialized greater reach talents), then it is ok. If having the feat is superior to the SoP way, then it needs to be nerfed or removed.

I suppose, one could collect a list of metamagic feats now and check if they work with SoP or should be placed on a blacklist.
    Thanks for this! This is exactly the sort of thing I wouldn't have considered but makes a lot of sense. I'll have to do some reevaluation for some of the current repertoire to see if there are any really good gems hiding there that don't invalidate the system itself. Reach spell, as you called out, was one I thought was really good for the system because it has a serious potential to be expensive in a day vs the talent options available, but is obviously much more versatile.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

Q 60)

This may have been answered already but, what sparked the idea for the spheres system as a whole? It's brilliant and the entirety of the system really livens up my games. Notably we have battles that can rage across huge areas as people move about. My players can't stand keeping Spheres of Powers effects at close range as a result and will spend multiple talents and or feats for ways to improve range. Closer and tighter battles almost feel claustrophobic. That is a drastic change from the core system, albeit one that works really well. So what sparked it all? Was there something you wanted in your own home games? Was it frustration with the system or just a cool idea that came up? And did you know when you started that the system was going to totally change the entire game while in effect?

Q 61)

What's a day in the life like? For everyone? I know there are a lot of devs on this at this point but how often do you interact with each other? What else is on your plate? And when did things go from 'cool idea' to 'this got real' for any devs that answer this question?

Q 62)

What is the best part of having worked/working on this system? Again, open to any and all devs.

Q 63)

There was an idea that surfaced earlier in the thread about plans for expanding ideas for the sphere system and someone said "all it really needs is someone to take the reins". Is it that easy to get involved? If I have ideas and/or want to try and contribute something to this system, how would that be submitted?
    Q60: I can only speak for myself here with the Spheres of Might side of thing, but the base ideas for what we had was trying to emulate as many real world fighting styles as possible. A lot came from simple concepts that we just really enjoyed, running with concepts that were just a lot of fun to play around. I'm sure I can speak for the rest of the SoM team in saying that we're really happy with the way people have taken to this system.

Q61: We actually have a lot of contact with each other, most of us are on a discord server together, and I run my own development server too. As for how quickly something goes from 'cool idea' to 'working doc', it's actually pretty fast. I've had a few things that were just neat ideas slowly making their way forward into actual projects.

Q62: For me, it's seeing people interact with the system. That includes people talking about what they don't like, what could be fixed, etc. Also, people who write guides for it win my heart in a real way; as a guide writer, it's like a love letter to what I've written. Seriously though, threads like this are some of my favorite parts of the books, and it's too amazing to even involve myself in projects like these.

Q63: I can say that I was able to get involved pretty easily, but then again, I had a pretty good track record beforehand. From what I've seen, it's mostly about getting into contact with Adam M. and pitching to see if he likes the concept. For those looking to get into design work, I run a design server, feel free to PM me for info about that (it's semi-private, so no public links).

28. - Top - End - #118
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Q67 If you use a mind spy on one trobadour persona, but didn't choose to activate it until he changed personas, the mind spy will work. In my understanding it will return nothing, as stated in the ability about scrying, But one player of mine think that a mind spy isn't a scry, so... just asking

29. - Top - End - #119
    Halfling in the Playground

Q68

For the scholars martial study scholar knack, if the scholar were to take that for the brute sphere, would he gain the ability to use his class level for bab for unarmed attacks and the brute maneuvers, or just to shove? As an expansion on that question, if he were to take it for the barroom sphere, would he gain the effect on all improvised weapon attacks?

30. - Top - End - #120

MindFlayer

So much goodness.

First thing is first, let it not be said I disapprove of where the life sphere (or protection sphere for that matter) ended up! The fact that my players actually consider healing because it's good is amazing. I can actually make healers in combat that my players want to kill, and frankly Faithful Shepherd is going to be used for a Villain at some point just because I think it is that awesome. And that's just scratching the surface of what I love about the sphere system, and specifically the life sphere.

I find it somewhat interesting though that, coming from a long history of D&D 3.5 prior to pathfinder, attrition is expected but non existent. It's mentioned a few times in the old DM guides and came to pathfinder as an inheritance. Yet, as EVERYONE knows, CLW wand wins the healing game. It's not even a question. I browse the forums mostly as a lurker here but a little more active on reddit and it's almost astonishing when people ask and just don't KNOW about it. Some of the comments occasionally reflect that. Even my party, notoriously low on the 'power gaming' scale, eventually figured that out and does it.

Yet I can't personally help but feel that is an unintended interaction. Potions of Healing are 50 gold. 1st level wands of magic missile are 750. So are first level wands of CLW. After the 15th spell in the wand, compared to potions, it's all free. 35 free heals for the same cost in potions. Or what, 15g per charge? The magic missile wand isn't decried as a wonder, but the CLW wand is because it's so efficient. Yet, take away level 1 wands, keep WBL, and what healing remains? Infernal healing goes with the CLW wand leaving the biggest 2 healing items mia. What other methods of rapid healing exists that doesn't eventually start hurting a character's WBL? Everything close to 2nd place is either mediocre, or bordering on unacceptable. Not that we can do anything about it, it's a part of the game, but I think its an interesting view that has developed in the community as a whole.
    The real culprit is the wand crafting rules, and the insistence that cost be proportional to the square of level. 3.5 and PF both had the chance to fix this, but didn't. I'm just trying to make the playstyles people want to play viable. Hopefully 2e fixes some of the wonky math in the game.