New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The World of Sarenor

I'm working on a new homebrew world for my school club to play in and I've come up so far with the stuff below. I've made some major changes to the Elves and Humans after the ensuing civil war.

WARNING - LONG POST

The Accounts of Sarenor, of the year 1236, by Syphill the Bard:

126 years ago, a rift formed within the Elven Nation of the Sunlit Vale. The dispute concerned the widespread advance and domination of humans. One faction, believed humanity was beneficial, aided the humans in their quest for great knowledge and skill. The more haughty elves felt that they were above the petty humans and instead studied deeper and deeper magic. Tensions between the two factions grew until a civil war broke out. The Grey Elves, joined the humans while the High Elves, driven by their study of magic, unwittingly summoned a great infernal demon. As such, with great infernal demons and many different races against each other, the ensuing war decimated a major part of the Grey Elves as well as a massive amount of humans.

As the civil war progressed, the High Elves found that they were being consumed by the demon. As such, they had grown greatly in magical power but their numbers had slowly dwindled. Their life spans had rapidly shortened in exchange for heightened potential for magic and they had lost their once regal statures. The High Elves, realizing what they had done, sealed the infernal demon inside a great Labyrinth. After the demon was sealed away, their magical powers lost their potency but to this day, they are still the most magical of all the races.

To return to the topic of the war, the High Elves quickly lost the edge and the tide of battle turned towards the Grey Elves and the humans. Beaten back to the original border between Elven and Human lands, the High Elves negotiated a peace treaty. The war had gone on for 10 years and both Elves and Humans had suffered long enough. The High Elves retreated to the western coast of the continent of Sarenor and constructed mighty magical focal points of their power resembling pointed spires in the hope of reconstructing a safe source of arcane power.

As for the Grey Elves, they chose a life of self imposed exile and retreated to the mountains of the North and were seldom heard from again. They banded with the Halflings and Dwarves of the Northlands and constructed great stone citadels carved out of the forested rock faces of mountains. Due to their prolonged contact with humans, their building style still reflects that of humans. Every so often, a Grey Elf adventurer does appear from the rugged, forest covered mountain lands of the North to fulfill a great quest.

Upon the exodus of the High and Grey Elves, the remaining elves fell into dark times and an unnatural darkness settled upon the Sunlit Vale prompting humans to rename it to the Black Forest. Every so often, Dark Elves appear from within, seeking unknown things.

The human race eventually continued expanding along the plains but they never encroached upon the sacred forest of the Dark Elves. They expanded south until they became a power to be reckoned with. They allied themselves with the gnomes of the south and built great machines and gadgets. Thus ends the account of Sarenor in the year 1236 by Syphill the Bard.
    All Races are retained and identical to the original Dungeons and Dragons race set with the exception of Elves, which are split into three categories of High, Grey and Dark, and Humans.

High Elf

-2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution
    +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma

Size: Medium (High Elf Height is usually around 5 ft)
    High Elves possess an innate immunity to magic Sleep effects and a +2 saving throw against enchantment spells or effects.

High Elves do not receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for weaponry.

+2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.

Automatic Languages include High Elven, and Sarenic. (Sarenic is the regional trade language and is used between High Elves, Dark Elves and Humans)

Favored Classes: Wizard or Sorcerer

Dark Elf

Size: Medium (Dark Elf Height is usually around 4ft 5in)
    Dark Elves have Darkvision and may see in the dark up to 60ft.

Dark Elves may add 3 to their attack rolls against all beasts and upon a successful hit, they may also add an extra 1 damage to the target.

+2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it. This ability also works in the dark with Darkvision.

Automatic Languages include Common, and Sarenic. (Sarenic is the regional trade language and is used between High Elves, Dark Elves and Humans. Sarenic is also the Dark Elf racial language, which was based off the original old elven language)

Favored Class: Rogue

Grey Elf

+2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution
    -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma

Size: Medium (The Grey Elf’s stature has increased and is now generally about 6ft)
    Grey Elves possess Low Light Vision

Weapon Proficiency: Elves receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the longsword, rapier, longbow (including composite longbow), and shortbow (including composite shortbow) as bonus feats.

+2 racial bonus in Move Silently and Hide as well as Knowledge in the category of your choice.

Grey Elves start with an extra +1 Base Attack Bonus as well as an extra feat at first level.
    Grey Elves also start with 4 extra skill points and an additional skill point per level.

Automatic Languages include Common, Sarenic and Grey Elven.

Favored Classes: Ranger

Human

Humans retain all previous traits but add:

+1 to Dexterity and +1 to Wisdom

Humans also gain exotic weapon proficiency for gnome hooked hammers. They have a new favored class replacing the old ability with the favored class of Bard.

+2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. A human who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
    I think I need to improve humans a bit more since I already gave major bonuses to grey elves from their longstanding 10 year alliance with humans... I think I ought to assign more of the original elf traits to them though...

I also think I might open Goblins and possibly Kobolds to PCs but as of yet I'm not really sure. And a race with Wings and has an innate fly ability would sound awesome but really unfair... I'll keep that as a note.

Oh and I am allowing all books except those that are setting specific... by setting specific I mean if they refer to places in Eberron or FR.
    Last edited by Neftren; 2007-09-08 at 04:00 PM.